DIY Tiny Home/Skoolie project

Bone3421

Now if you are just making a camper you can probably leave roof in but im doing full tiny home so ceiling is coming out....FUCK RIVETS!!!

Air compressor and air chisel set highly recommended...first punch out rivet
Then you need to grind X in rivet and the air chisel works 12b2d0795018e1d0cce8e6b10a4e0d3a.jpg3f7ea622c6931a4ff565a80111169ee5.jpg7acda30dc21ed6408aa2767daf0e97cf.jpg

Of course it will be...runs fine
Now you wouldn't what to drive it much since it gets like 6 mpg...but when i get it done and decide im going to yosemite for the summer im driving it

I guess my more specific question is, will it be self-propelled mobile, and I am guessing not?
  • Like 1

The 2 drill bits i bought havent done shit...these are big hearty rivets...online says grinder and air chisel ...worked great on ceiling rivets...those ones along window in pic are a pain

Best thing i can find says to grind them flat and punch out center...im hoping i can saw down backside since i cut panels out

On 9/21/2018 at 3:15 PM, Bone3421 said:

Now if you are just making a camper you can probably leave roof in but im doing full tiny home so ceiling is coming out....FUCK RIVETS!!!

I still don't understand why you took the ceiling off. Seems like it's 1-2 inches from bottom of roof, and full of insulation which you'll need anyway. Are you planning on running conduit (or wiring) between the roof and new ceiling?

Putting in better insulation and will be doing a nicer wood roof...not rolling with a metal bus roof
If i was making a camper sure but this will be a tiny home

I still don't understand why you took the ceiling off. Seems like it's 1-2 inches from bottom of roof, and full of insulation which you'll need anyway. Are you planning on running conduit (or wiring) between the roof and new ceiling?

I also put first coat of roof sealer on along all the rivets...will be about 4/5 coats total when done

Rest of day will be spent cleaning off rust treatment and treating other half

Tomorrow will be cleaning window frames with mineral spirits and sealing them and a full coat of roof sealer868ab9be7625b72235fb8f3f7b4124c5.jpg

21 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Putting in better insulation and will be doing a nicer wood roof...not rolling with a metal bus roof
If i was making a camper sure but this will be a tiny home

Spray in foam insulation ?  I'd think about adding extra junction boxes in the ceiling and walls for potential unforeseen future needs

Edited by Onboard 2.0

6 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

So as far i can tell from research you want yoyr rust to look like this black/blue color when its done right4d4272b0152a00f0ef187a33bd96ddba.jpg

You read correctly. It may look funky, as it’s not at all what most people are expecting when they spray it on, but that is exactly what you want it to look like once it has taken effect. Can’t wait to see the progress over the coming months

• Like 1

Living in a bus is....different. Do you park it in a RV lot with hookups like power and sewage?
You can...i have some land ill put it on and hook up to water/electric....doing compost toilet though so i dont have to deal with a blacktank. Also will have solar and offgrid water tanks at somepoint

Spray in foam insulation ?  I'd think about adding extra junction boxes in the ceiling and walls for potential unforeseen future needs
I missed the part about junction boxes earlier and stuck with insulation....my buddy who is electrician will be wiring me up and i will have him wire me in a few extra spots for when i do solar and get the ac(rv ac that will attach in spot emergency exit is)

Good luck sir, the container doesn't have the cool look or amount of windows of that thing. Speaking of, with all the insulation you are planning it's going to be tough to detail those windows well enough to keep them energy efficient. You may also look into new gaskets on the glazing itself into the aluminum frame, or wet sealing everything. Glass is never going to achieve a good R-value, but you may want to consider some type of sun shade or shutters on the outside to prevent too much light from hitting the glazing and heating up your weakest spot thermally. 

• Like 1