The movie you just watched

F250

1 minute ago, wild_turkey said:

Watched this for the second time last night. It’s probably my favorite movie released in the last 2 years. I think I enjoyed it more the second time around.

Interesting take; I thought it was a fine movie but nothing too special. I haven't seen the original Star is Born, but I thought Crazy Heart wore alcoholic country singer better.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Netflix). Was all set to hate this with a passion. How ridiculous of a ripoff of the character just for money's sake.

Brother, I was wrong.

Took a bit to get immersed in the story but when I was, it was fully. I'm a Jake Johnson fan and thought he was brilliant. Forgot how much better your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man was animated vs live action. Funny, good script and even the pig worked. Look forward to a sequel.

spiderverse_nap175.1011_lm_v2-h_2018_0.j

Edited by RPM
  • Like 3

Never Look Away (2018)

Boy, I fell for this hook line and sinker. (When i can't sleep on the weekends, and decide to watch a movie in the early morning, I find that I there is a much higher likelihood that I am going to like a movie -- especially a captioned foreign flick.)  Beautiful movie.  Flicks about artists are tough but this worked.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQXEPyB74O9i9E3QMD1b2

2444.jpg

Edited by tantric superman

The Catcher Was a Spy has been on and I finally got around to watching it. I enjoyed it very much. I love WW2 movies and this was a slightly different take on the war. Mo Berg was a pretty interesting character.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Jurassic World was one of the worst movies I have seen in the last 3-4 years.  That was until I watched -or at least attempted to watch- its sequel this morning.  

My goodness it was bad.  Quit at the 50 minute mark.  

The first one I could deal with because it was a decent popcorn flick (didn't hurt that I had a few cocktails during the movie as well).  The second one is laughably bad.  Everything about it was patently absurd.  I'll probably watch it again, but I'll watch it just like I watch JFK, as a B label comedy.   

Recently, I couldn't make it all the way through Crazy Rich Asians.

Deadpool 2 was awful (I liked the original). The references to being a movie got tedious. Little of the humor worked at all. I'm afraid the comic book movies, with few exceptions, bore the shit out of me. I hate that they dominate the studio landscape.

I'm about halfway through The Old Man and the Gun with Robert Redford and Sissy Spacek. Fair to middling.

I'd love to fall in love with a movie. What have I missed in the last five years or so? I've seen almost all of the Oscar nominees. What's under the radar, foreign or domestic?

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

The first one I could deal with because it was a decent popcorn flick (didn't hurt that I had a few cocktails during the movie as well).  The second one is laughably bad.  Everything about it was patently absurd.  I'll probably watch it again, but I'll watch it just like I watch JFK, as a B label comedy.   

Jurassic World - popcorn flick

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - airplane flick (aka, I'm going to fall asleep anyways and who gives a fuck, I'm on this plane for 10-15 hours)

36 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

You should read the book.

I was gonna say . . . the 2010 True Grit with Bridges and Damon was more faithful to the book (both in terms of dialog and plot) than the 1969 version with John Wayne.  If the viewer doesn't enjoy the dialog in the 2010 adaptation, blame it on the book.  

I enjoy both movie versions.  

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

I loved Deadpool 2 but I'm kind of down on all the comic movies anyway so its just me trying to be a renegade.

The X-Force parachute rescue gone bad/Thunderstruck scene made it all worthwhile.  I was ready to turn it off after that but it still held my interest.

tenor.gif?itemid=11845474

I like to troll my friends who are into comic book movies by pumping the shittiest ones like the Snyder DC comic flicks.  One time when I was doing this I came across an actual Zack Snyder fan and I could barely conceal my horror.  

11 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Recently, I couldn't make it all the way through Crazy Rich Asians.

Deadpool 2 was awful (I liked the original). The references to being a movie got tedious. Little of the humor worked at all. I'm afraid the comic book movies, with few exceptions, bore the shit out of me. I hate that they dominate the studio landscape.

I'm about halfway through The Old Man and the Gun with Robert Redford and Sissy Spacek. Fair to middling.

I'd love to fall in love with a movie. What have I missed in the last five years or so? I've seen almost all of the Oscar nominees. What's under the radar, foreign or domestic?

Have you seen the Last Jedi?  There's a prank call in the first 5 minutes.

Edited by mulletpelini
you'll love it.

It doesn't work as a western.  It doesn't work as a comedy.  Redford and Newman have chemistry but it's not enough to make up for the areas in which it is lacking.  It's nothing more than a dated vehicle for Redford, Newman, BJ Thomas, and Burt Bacharach.  If I want to watch a great Western with Newman then I'll hunt down Hombre.  If I want to watch a great movie with Newman and Redford I can watch The Sting.

12 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

It doesn't work as a western.  It doesn't work as a comedy.  Redford and Newman have chemistry but it's not enough to make up for the areas in which it is lacking.  It's nothing more than a dated vehicle for Redford, Newman, BJ Thomas, and Burt Bacharach.  If I want to watch a great Western with Newman then I'll hunt down Hombre.  If I want to watch a great movie with Newman and Redford I can watch The Sting.

Of course it’s lacking in areas, it was done on an absolute shoestring budget.  

You know where it works?  It’s a fun movie that’s not necessarily a western and not necessarily a comedy.  It’s a good, fun movie that has re-watchability, not unlike Maverick.   It’s a spaghetti western dramedy.   And a damn good one 

• Like 1

brawl in cell block 99.  

I know it was discussed a week or two ago.  the violence was unbelievable and the movie was very entertaining but vince vaughn needs to stick to comedy as he is a fucking embarrassingly awful dramatic actor.  he simply can’t do it.  that said, I can’t wait to watch dragged across concrete. 

17 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I loved Deadpool 2 but I'm kind of down on all the comic movies anyway so its just me trying to be a renegade.

The X-Force parachute rescue gone bad/Thunderstruck scene made it all worthwhile.  I was ready to turn it off after that but it still held my interest.

tenor.gif?itemid=11845474

It went all dark and serious early on, then redeemed itself when they got to X Force.  Then went to crap again when X Force died (which was hilarious, btw).

I don't want to weigh in on this Butch Cassidy debate so I won't say anything but Cont Op. is about right.  And by overrated I simply mean over praised in comparison to other Westerns, anti-Westerns, comic westerns etc.

They do jump off a cliff into a river, which is fun. Would have been better if the folks chasing them had a a couple of pit bulls to chase after them. 

Edited by tantric superman

brawl in cell block 99.  
I know it was discussed a week or two ago.  the violence was unbelievable and the movie was very entertaining but vince vaughn needs to stick to comedy as he is a fucking embarrassingly awful dramatic actor.  he simply can’t do it.  that said, I can’t wait to watch dragged across concrete. 
My inability to take Vince Vaughn seriously as a tough guy was one of the biggest impediments to enjoying season 2 of True Detective for me but for whatever reason I had zero problem going along for the ride on Brawl on Cell Block 99 and Dragged Across Concrete.

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

Okay, I'm changing my mind.  BCATSK is fine.

But the Ocean's movies, first and second and whatever came after?

Yikes what a beating. 

Ocean's 11 (2001) was good.

Ocean's 12 was so bad that I won't even try Ocean's 13.

Midsommar was quite good, although a little long and it drags a bit towards the end. I don’t know if I would even consider it a horror movie, although it follows the outline of a 70s cult horror film. More laughs than scares.