The movie you just watched

F250

A Walk Among the Tombstones - Solid Liam Neeson film. Not some mindless action flick like the Taken series or Cold Pursuit that Neeson has seemed to rely on lately. Set in the early 90's, he's retired NYPD, now a PI full of demons working to find who kidnapped and murdered a drug dealers wife. Excellent script with lots of twists and turns and a minimal amount of schlock. This would have been a great film noir.

4 hours ago, RPM said:

A Walk Among the Tombstones - Solid Liam Neeson film. Not some mindless action flick like the Taken series or Cold Pursuit that Neeson has seemed to rely on lately. Set in the early 90's, he's retired NYPD, now a PI full of demons working to find who kidnapped and murdered a drug dealers wife. Excellent script with lots of twists and turns and a minimal amount of schlock. This would have been a great film noir.

Wish they would do more. The source material from author Lawrence Block is solid. 

My only complaint on this movie was the sanitizing of the end. The book’s ending was brutal. Was damn glad to see it get made, however. 

1 minute ago, After irth said:

Wish they would do more. The source material from author Lawrence Block is solid. 

My only complaint on this movie was the sanitizing of the end. The book’s ending was brutal. Was damn glad to see it get made, however. 

Would love to see Neeson make a franchise of this. I know nothing of the source material, but if it's it's anything remotely like this I'm all in. I was impressed, Neeson hasn't given up.

On 9/20/2019 at 4:58 AM, bamachine said:

Finally watched Into The Spiderverse. Best Spidey film by a mile.

I would watch a stand-alone movie featuring any of the multi-verse Spideys. But especially Spider Noir.

I like to drink egg creams and I like to fight Nazis. A lot. Sometimes, I let matches burn down to my fingertips just to feel something, anything.

Monday night double feature:

Rome, Open City - It's great.  Everyone should see it. 

Halloween 5 - I am in the process of knocking out all of the Halloweens/Friday the 13ths/Nightmare on Elm Streets I haven't seen.  To borrow a phrase I saw someone else use on here, it's exactly as good as it needs to be. 

17 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

Rome, Open City - It's great.  Everyone should see it. 

It's no Paisan, but it's a great start to the trilogy.

This is another group of films I need to see on decent prints.

https://film.avclub.com/roberto-rossellini-s-war-trilogy-rome-open-city-pais-1798164254

G2jPTXWEYclcKFXC7LYWoNEj5D7V7l_large.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 3:24 AM, RPM said:

Agreed. Really liked that movie. 

It's no Paisan, but it's a great start to the trilogy.
This is another group of films I need to see on decent prints.
https://film.avclub.com/roberto-rossellini-s-war-trilogy-rome-open-city-pais-1798164254
G2jPTXWEYclcKFXC7LYWoNEj5D7V7l_large.jpg

Just finished Paisan and don't know where to start. Wow. That is really something else. I'm not sure what format you saw Rome Open City and Paisan in but they looked fine on Criterion Channel. I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of that subscription.
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 11:52 AM, bernorange said:

I watched Between Two Ferns - The Movie on Netflix the other night.  It's not a good movie, but I did laugh at some of the scenes.  The best part of it though is the end credits where they show some of the bloopers/cut scenes. 

I gotta disagree with your police work there, Lou. Laughed my ass off. Maybe I'm just more in tune with Galifianakis' humor. He's not for everyone.

It's worth watching the movie just to see the credit bloopers. I was in tears.

Edited by RPM

The Adjustment Bureau - I swear I had seen this but after watching it, it sure seemed like I was watching it for the first time.   Always a sucker for time travel/fate altering/ripple effect movies, so was a good watch all the way up until the door thing at the end.  

Also, Emily Blunt is attractive, but definitely not the most beautiful woman on the planet.  Yet, I defy any man from not falling for her in this movie.

Last Blood was everything I thought it would be.  Probably a bit too wordy.  I do think Rambo went a bit too far to being a psychotic murderer as opposed to a military spec ops killer, but I get the whole revenge for the young girls thing.  I can live with that.  It is a Rambo movie here so the ridiculousness seems to fit well.  

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 11:14 AM, Incredulity said:

Empire of the sun.

found out I hadn’t really missed out on anything. Quite an odd movie.

Also, The French Connection.

God, I hate the ending of that movie so hard. 

Empire of the Sun was a bit different, but I’ve really enjoyed it the five or six times I have watched it. Maybe because my brother married into a Chinese family that fled China after Mao took over and that era in the Orient has always interested me. I also thought Christian Bale was fantastic as Jim.

Last night:

"Gozer the Traveler will come in one of the pre-chosen forms.  During the rectification of the Vuldrenaii, the Traveler came as a very large and moving Torb!  Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex Supplicants, they chose a new form for him...That of a giant Sloar.  Many Shubs and Zulls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you!"  

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 10:50 PM, Continental Op said:

Halloween 6:  The Curse of Michael Myers.  No need to trick it up with the cult stuff but I guess they had to do something to spice the franchise up at that point.  I am probably going to pass on H20/Resurrection/Rob Zombie remakes. 

H20 and REsurrection are better than 4, 5, and 6 to me.

I liked the first Zombie remake. The second was a damn mess.

On 9/28/2019 at 3:26 PM, mulletpelini said:

The Adjustment Bureau - I swear I had seen this but after watching it, it sure seemed like I was watching it for the first time.   Always a sucker for time travel/fate altering/ripple effect movies, so was a good watch all the way up until the door thing at the end.  

Also, Emily Blunt is attractive, but definitely not the most beautiful woman on the planet.  Yet, I defy any man from not falling for her in this movie.

Like Matt Damon's character, I couldn't stop looking at her legs. She just does it for me.

• Like 1

Last night was the American Genre Film Archive Secret Screening 6th anniversary at Alamo.  We were treated to a double feature of:

1.  A nightmarish live action version of Alice In Wonderland from the 1970s featuring Peter Sellers, Dudley Moore, and the blonde Bond girl from A View to a Kill as Alice.   

2.  Alice In Wonderland: An X Rated Musical Fantasy.  

13 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Last night was the American Genre Film Archive Secret Screening 6th anniversary at Alamo.  We were treated to a double feature of:

1.  A nightmarish live action version of Alice In Wonderland from the 1970s featuring Peter Sellers, Dudley Moore, and the blonde Bond girl from A View to a Kill as Alice.   

With the cutie from the movie Meatballs, Kristine DeBell, as Alice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Quoting you just for your Handle:

Saw the Humphrey Bogart Maltese Falcon last night, pretty good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Bogart’s Maltese Falcon is appointment tv for me.  

I had read the book the day before renting it on Amazon and the book is so good that it dulled the movie a bit for me. I loved the Thin Man though. 

Any other noir/old-time movies you recommend?

12 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I had read the book the day before renting it on Amazon and the book is so good that it dulled the movie a bit for me. I loved the Thin Man though. 

I’m a big Bogart fan, admittedly.    I love The African Queen, The Big Sleep, Sabrina, Sahara.  I’ll think of some others 

• Like 1

Off the top of my head:

The Big Sleep
The Big Heat
Dead Reckoning
Too Late For Tears (Sometimes found under the title Killer Bait)
Pickup on South Street
Black Angel
Ministry of Fear
Blonde Ice

In the Electric Mist - Tommy Lee Jones, John Goodman, Peter Sarsgaard, Mary Steenburgen. Set in Iberia Parish, La, Jones is a recovered alcoholic police detective chasing a serial killer and his own ghosts. Not bad. Not great, but not bad.

I watched (the original) Point Break today.   Seen it a million times and still love it, but what I find really hilarious about that movie is at the end where Johnny Utah lets Bodie go to ride the wave in the 100 year storm.   Bodie tells Johnny he has been waiting his whole life for this.   Then precedes to only get up on the wave for about 10 feet before eating ass and drowning.   He was only up for like 2 seconds. 

Welcome to Marwen (2018)

This movie came and went without me noticing at all. I'm actually not a Zemeckis fan. I was hesitant, but found the description pretty interesting.

I and my beloved enjoyed it a lot. Nice use of computer animation integrated with live action. I thought the score would be oppressive while watching the opening sequence, but even that was applied cleverly in only the imagination scenes.

It can be simplistic, but I bought that aspect of the story because it reflects the central character's view of the world. I love the cast. I'll give it an easy B+. 

Keep 'em Rolling - 1934 Walter Huston film about a WW1 artilleryman and his horse, Rodney. Very touching film about the bond formed between man and beast in war. If you are fond of horses, this one will tug hard at your heartstrings. Huston is fantastic.