The movie you just watched

F250

6 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Last Picture Show (1971)

Goddamn this movie.  I had forgotten that Randy Quaid was in it.  And that the "slow" kid was Tim Bottom's brother Sam, the surfer in Apocalyse Now.  And the great and always creeper Clu Gulager.  And how Ellen Burstyn was throwing down a vibe. And Ben Fucking Johnson - I never realized what a stud this guy was (need to find a biography of the guy.)

I grew up being forced to go to Bracketville now and again in my youth, and while Bracketville is no Archer City, some of those slamming screen doors sure were evocative of my youth -- if any of you spent time anywhere west of I35 growing up, I challenge you  to watch this flick when you are an old dude like me and not be moved.

Sam the Lion's speech  at the pond/tank is such a beautiful rif on the beauty/tragedy of life - all there in about 30 seconds.

the-last-picture-show-still-3.jpg-675x40

If she was here,
I'd probably be just as crazy now...
...as I was then in about five minutes.

Ain't that ridiculous?

No, it ain't really.                   

Being crazy about a woman like her is always the right thing to do.
Being a decrepit old bag of bones, that's what's ridiculous.

Getting old.

My Dad ran that Texaco station on the corner across from the pool hall in the late 50's. My cousin is a clarinet player in the Anarene (ACHS) band.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just watched Uncharted. It was fun overall. There’s obviously some suspension of disbelief in watching a movie like this, but it was good throughout. They spaced out the action just about right in balancing it with the story being told. I am sure someone on here will watch it and not enjoy it, but I did and I would watch it again. 

We caught The King's Man last night. Hadn't followed the pre-press so we were only aware that Ralph Fiennes was in the cast. Had a fun time actor spotting, but the foreshadowing was a little too much bat to the head. Overall entertaining but not epic was our sentiment.

Funniest *spot was "Hey! That's Miami!" in the cast.

*Tom Hollander

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

We caught The King's Man last night. Hadn't followed the pre-press so we were only aware that Ralph Fiennes was in the cast. Had a fun time actor spotting, but the foreshadowing was a little too much bat to the head. Overall entertaining but not epic was our sentiment.

Funniest *spot was "Hey! That's Miami!" in the cast.

*Tom Hollander

We watched it last night.  I wanted to turn it off after about 20 minutes, but the wife wanted to keep watching.  2 hours later, I wish we'd turned it off after 20 minutes.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

We watched it last night.  I wanted to turn it off after about 20 minutes, but the wife wanted to keep watching.  2 hours later, I wish we'd turned it off after 20 minutes.

Haha! Sometimes we have nights like that. That we were actor spotting betrays that it wasn't riveting.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

This concept is interesting to me.  We've always had a zero tolerance policy regarding the movie that one person wants to turn off.  That person leaves the room and pursues other endeavors while the other person watches it solo. 

Our second date was a foreign flick at UT, and my wife walked out of it in a huff.   This was a week before the Jackson Five's "Love You Save" came on the radio and she switched it, saying "I never liked that song". 

We agree on about three Woody Allen movies and not much else.  My analyst cautioned me against marrying her, but she was so beautiful I got another analyst.

23 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

This concept is interesting to me.  We've always had a zero tolerance policy regarding the movie that one person wants to turn off.  That person leaves the room and pursues other endeavors while the other person watches it solo. 

Our second date was a foreign flick at UT, and my wife walked out of it in a huff.   This was a week before the Jackson Five's "Love You Save" came on the radio and she switched it, saying "I never liked that song". 

We agree on about three Woody Allen movies and not much else.  My analyst cautioned me against marrying her, but she was so beautiful I got another analyst.

I can't speak for Jerry Callo, but for my family you would be reading too much into it. I mean 30+ years of marriage and we read each other pretty well. We don't always like the same things but it's pretty easy going really and yes, one or the other of us will find something else to do with no hard feelings whatsoever. The only thing we both try and be respectful of is the Don't Ask Questions Until The Commercials Or the Really Slow Part Dramatic Musical Sequence etiquette because sometimes one of us is busy and wanders into the room in the middle.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/19/2022 at 4:36 AM, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Last Picture Show (1971)

Goddamn this movie.  I had forgotten that Randy Quaid was in it.  And that the "slow" kid was Tim Bottom's brother Sam, the surfer in Apocalyse Now.  And the great and always creeper Clu Gulager.  And how Ellen Burstyn was throwing down a vibe. And Ben Fucking Johnson - I never realized what a stud this guy was (need to find a biography of the guy.)

I grew up being forced to go to Bracketville now and again in my youth, and while Bracketville is no Archer City, some of those slamming screen doors sure were evocative of my youth -- if any of you spent time anywhere west of I35 growing up, I challenge you  to watch this flick when you are an old dude like me and not be moved.

Sam the Lion's speech  at the pond/tank is such a beautiful rif on the beauty/tragedy of life - all there in about 30 seconds.

If she was here,

Ain't that ridiculous?

No, it ain't really.                   

Getting old.

I grew up in a rural area outside San Antonio. It’s a small German farming community. So many places in this movie remind me of my childhood. The Germans always had plenty of General Store/beer joint/ grocery stores all rolled into one, but they are a thing of the past for the most part. I used to go with my dad to many of these fine establishments as a kid and drink a Dr. Pepper out of a glass bottle while Dad shot the shit with the men at the bar drinking a regular Pearl. There was always a pool table and old men playing cards or dominoes. The place usually sold pickled pigs feet or boiled eggs in a jar as well as a fine selection of cheese/bologna next to a scale and a slicer. Good times. God I miss my old man, this movie brings all those memories back.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 5:36 AM, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Last Picture Show (1971)

If she was here,

Ain't that ridiculous?

No, it ain't really.                   

Getting old.

One of the all time great films. Re-watched Paper Moon recently as well. Tremendous. RIP Peter Bogdanovich.

Just saw Death on the Nile last night. Great soundtrack that they actually let songs get played out, the music wasn’t just the same old background noise.

Beautiful visuals, and great scene settings.

As usual it’s a group of characters who are exaggerated characters.

The story dragged a bit at times, but all in all good fun to watch.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 1:39 AM, Sbbruin said:

I just watched a movie I can’t believe that I’ve never seen.  I feel like a pinko commie bastard.  In the spirit of the Winter Olympics, just watched “Miracle”.  

‘Murica!  Bitches!

If you haven’t seen either, you should check out the HBO documentary Do You Believe In Miracles?, and the 30 for 30 Of Miracles And Men, the latter being the aftermath from the point of view of the Soviet players and coaches….

The family watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang while I was cooking supper. How can one not love the hot air ballon sign "Vulg Air" as the dirigible lands at the castle. Dick Van Dyle and the lovely Sally Ann Howes (who passed away in December). I do love the musicals. Port out, starboard home, posh with a capital P-O-S-H, posh!

• Hook 'Em 1

I saw [finally] Midnight Cowboy on Friday and The Warriors on Sat.  One film was very graphic while the other had great cinematography.  I was surprised which was which. 

Spoiler

The Warriors is not gory at all, only what the viewer imagines. 

Midnight Cowboy is a fucked up movie
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I haven't seen that one in quite awhile, but after reading this page this morning I got to thinking about several movies I've seen with 'midnight' in the title. Off topic and off the top of my head--

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Midnight Run

Midnight in Paris

The Midnight Sky

Of those above, Midnight Run is probably my favorite. Charles Grodin, Robert DeNiro just fabulous back and forth dialogue.

9 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The family watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang while I was cooking supper. How can one not love the hot air ballon sign "Vulg Air" as the dirigible lands at the castle. Dick Van Dyle and the lovely Sally Ann Howes (who passed away in December). I do love the musicals. Port out, starboard home, posh with a capital P-O-S-H, posh!

Such an awesome movie.

Based off Ian Fleming's book. Produced by Albert Broccoli. Also featuring Goldfinger, I mean Gert Fröbe. Ms. Howes with one of the greatest names in any movie, Truly Scrumptious. Julie Andrews turned down the role.

I've been to the beach, Cap Taillat, where they take Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Baron turns up the first time to attempt the steal. It's in France, not far from St. Tropez. 

Benny Hill is also awesome in the movie, as was the Child Catcher, Robert Helpmann.

• Hook 'Em 1

We watched this the other day. It is a bit prescient, or timely, in our family as my brother's MIL is currently nearing the end fo her life over in Taiwan. The gal who was the star, Awkwafina, who was also in the Crazy Rich Asians movie played a much different character. It was not a feel-good movie but, I thought it was pretty good.

35 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Midnight Express

I forgot that one! But it may have been buried in my subconscious because that movie is intense.

30 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Such an awesome movie.

Based off Ian Fleming's book. Produced by Albert Broccoli. Also featuring Goldfinger, I mean Gert Fröbe. Ms. Howes with one of the greatest names in any movie, Truly Scrumptious. Julie Andrews turned down the role.

I've been to the beach, Cap Taillat, where they take Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Baron turns up the first time to attempt the steal. It's in France, not far from St. Tropez. 

Benny Hill is also awesome in the movie, as was the Child Catcher, Robert Helpmann.

I didn't know that about Julie Andrews, although it is so hard now to picture anyone else in the role besides Howes, just really good chemistry between her and Van Dyke. I was born after those movies had been released, but Mary Poppins, where Andrews was paired with Van Dyke, and all the others of a similar type were all a part of my childhood and we introduced them to our children as well. Our children are just old enough that streaming wasn't really a thing in our house so we relied on DVDs and whatever was on the television. My husband's favorite is Bedknobs and Broomsticks but it doesn't make airtime much it seems.

I would love to visit that beach in France, but my gawd that child catcher gave me nightmares worse than the flying monkees.

24 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I forgot that one! But it may have been buried in my subconscious because that movie is intense.

I didn't know that about Julie Andrews, although it is so hard now to picture anyone else in the role besides Howes, just really good chemistry between her and Van Dyke. I was born after those movies had been released, but Mary Poppins, where Andrews was paired with Van Dyke, and all the others of a similar type were all a part of my childhood and we introduced them to our children as well. Our children are just old enough that streaming wasn't really a thing in our house so we relied on DVDs and whatever was on the television. My husband's favorite is Bedknobs and Broomsticks but it doesn't make airtime much it seems.

I would love to visit that beach in France, but my gawd that child catcher gave me nightmares worse than the flying monkees.

That's a picture of the water from that spot. That's about 30-feet down to the bottom. YES, the Child Catcher was scary as heck! Flying monkeys are still scary!

SDC12006.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/21/2022 at 7:01 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I haven't seen that one in quite awhile, but after reading this page this morning I got to thinking about several movies I've seen with 'midnight' in the title. Off topic and off the top of my head--

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Midnight Run

Midnight in Paris

The Midnight Sky

Of those above, Midnight Run is probably my favorite. Charles Grodin, Robert DeNiro just fabulous back and forth dialogue.

The Other Side of Midnight

Midnight Crossing

Midnight Ride

Midnight in Paris

The Midnight Meat Train

Chimes at Midnight

• Hook 'Em 1