The movie you just watched

F250

5 hours ago, WBT said:

Loved Breathless.  Haven't seen any of the others although I need to.

Did anyone watch the biopic that Amazon put out with Kristen Stewart as Seberg?  I've been meaning to check it out.

I liked it, but it's got some problems.  And I really do think Stewart is good..  Didn't know much about the back story and after watching the movie, still don't know much about it.

Cure- cryptic Japanese horror thriller that in some ways reminds of a more coherent Lynch movie, or something like Burning or The Wailing. Really well made, although I have questions about some of the plot and how some characters came up with conclusions. 9/10

First movie I've seen from the director, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, who has a fanbase 

• Like 1

I know I will get shit for this but after all these years I finally watched The French Connection.  I thought it kind of sucked.  It seemed like there were whole scenes that should have been added to make the movie flow better.  To me it doesn’t hold up like other great movies from the early 1970’s do like The Godfather 1 and 2.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I know I will get shit for this but after all these years I finally watched The French Connection.  I thought it kind of sucked.  It seemed like there were whole scenes that should have been added to make the movie flow better.  To me it doesn’t hold up like other great movies from the early 1970’s do like The Godfather 1 and 2.

Just for reference, what are the other great movies from the early 70s that hold up to The Godfathers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Just for reference, what are the other great movies from the early 70s that hold up to The Godfathers. 

Just my opinion but below are some movies I still enjoy and think hold up.

Chinatown

Patton

The Last Picture Show

The Sting

Serpico

Dirty Harry

Mash (its campy but I still love it)

Blazing Saddles

Keep expectations in check. I had Dazed and Confused level expectations.  That wasn't fair.

It’s not as good, but much like D&C, it gets better will repeated viewing. I’ve seen it a few times now and enjoy it more and more. It’s a great thing to put on and hang out in the world, again like D&C.

Glenn Powell has his star making performance in this. Also, as a long time Lea Thompson enthusiast, I enjoy time spent with Zoey Deutch.

The only miss is Juston Street. Bad character. Bad performance.

On 3/11/2022 at 1:19 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I understand your point. I also wondered, “what’s the big deal?”

I saw it several years ago, but still maybe 35-40 years after it came out. I think the main problem with a modern viewing (by a modern viewer) is what was ground breaking at the time (gritty shaky cinematography, quick edits [chase scene], the antihero hero, natural dialogue, natural sound) has been aped/co-opted by so many police procedurals, The French Connection now seems rather tame in comparison, or par for the course.

The French Connection doesn’t seem so special anymore, because It’s been copied so much. It isn’t unique.

Shitty people as the lead? You may not have had Andy Sipowicz or Walter White without Popeye Doylebut any given episode of NYPD Blue or Breaking Bad has as much (or more) going on as TFC. And any generic network cop show has set pieces that compare with the action in the film. 

When I watched the movie, and the big reveal was (I ain’t spoilering a 51 year old movie) the drugs were in the fucking car panels? That’s now an Act I revelation to move the plot forward, maybe accomplished by the junior detective popping in the office and saying, “Boss, we gave the Lincoln a closer look, and found the heroin. What’s next?” I know it’s based on a true story, and that was how they cracked the case, it’s just not as dramatic and cinematic as we’ve come to expect in the last half century. It’s not the movie’s fault that it spawned imitators that made it seem less special. I wish I could have seen it in 1971.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I understand your point. I also wondered, “what’s the big deal?”

I saw it several years ago, but still maybe 35-40 years after it came out. I think the main problem with a modern viewing (by a modern viewer) is what was ground breaking at the time (gritty shaky cinematography, quick edits [chase scene], the antihero hero, natural dialogue, natural sound) has been aped/co-opted by so many police procedurals, The French Connection now seems rather tame in comparison, or par for the course.

The French Connection doesn’t seem so special anymore, because It’s been copied so much. It isn’t unique.

Shitty people as the lead? You may not have had Andy Sipowicz or Walter White without Popeye Doylebut any given episode of NYPD Blue or Breaking Bad has as much (or more) going on as TFC. And any generic network cop show has set pieces that compare with the action in the film. 

When I watched the movie, and the big reveal was (I ain’t spoilering a 51 year old movie) the drugs were in the fucking car panels? That’s now an Act I revelation to move the plot forward, maybe accomplished by the junior detective popping in the office and saying, “Boss, we gave the Lincoln a closer look, and found the heroin. What’s next?” I know it’s based on a true story, and that was how they cracked the case, it’s just not as dramatic and cinematic as we’ve come to expect in the last half century. It’s not the movie’s fault that it spawned imitators that made it seem less special. I wish I could have seen it in 1971.

This right here. Enjoying a movie in the context of time that it was made applies to a lot of movies. I love movies from the late 30’s, 40’s and into the 50’s, therefore I watch a lot of movies on TCM. As I am watching these movies I have to mentally put my mind and emotions into that particular era for context of what is going on, storyline, social norms, and technology.

Edited by mininghorn88
  • Hook 'Em 2

Uncharted, with my 12 year old daughter who loves Tom Holland. I loved it, but wish Sully was someone older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took my kid as well and was decently entertained. Heist/adventure movies are always in my wheelhouse, even ones based on video games I’ve never heard of.

2 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Took my kid as well and was decently entertained. Heist/adventure movies are always in my wheelhouse, even ones based on video games I’ve never heard of.

I saw Uncharted yesterday as well. Enjoyed it. Did not know that it was based on a video game.

Spoiler: When the couple comes out of the water and onto the beach they pass by a guy lounging on the beach and he says a few lines. My girlfriend and I looked at each other and asked who that was since it was an “obvious” cameo. Come to find out he is a voice in the video game.

I also saw an interview with Walberg and Holland. Apparently this movie has been on the “to make” list for some time. From what I gathered from the interview, Walberg expected to play the Drake character but by the time the movie making came around he had “aged out”. I believe that the interview was on GMA. It was a fun interview.

Ready for the sequel as they showed the transition scenes during the credits. Always stay until the house lights come on!

On 3/11/2022 at 2:43 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Just my opinion but below are some movies I still enjoy and think hold up.

Chinatown

Patton

The Last Picture Show

The Sting

Serpico

Dirty Harry

Mash (its campy but I still love it)

Blazing Saddles

Chinatown, while well made, is slow AF.  Also, fuck Roman Polanski. Pedophile. 

Watched two movies yesterday:

1.  On Netflix, The Adam Project.   I enjoyed.  Requires the usual suspension of disbelief that comes with Sci-Fi and there are a couple of plot holes but I was entertained.

2. Saw the new Death on the Nile.   IMO, not as solid as Murder on the Orient Express (both in plot and cast) but still worth seeing none the less.  Branagh is very good as Poirot.  

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Macanudo said:

On Netflix, The Adam Project.   I enjoyed.  Requires the usual suspension of disbelief that comes with Sci-Fi and there are a couple of plot holes but I was entertained.

Same. Was pretty formulaic, but I enjoyed it. That kid channeled a young Ryan Reynolds and I've come to realize that RR is just Deadpool in every film now.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/13/2022 at 10:27 AM, mininghorn88 said:

I saw Uncharted yesterday as well. Enjoyed it. Did not know that it was based on a video game.

Spoiler: When the couple comes out of the water and onto the beach they pass by a guy lounging on the beach and he says a few lines. My girlfriend and I looked at each other and asked who that was since it was an “obvious” cameo. Come to find out he is a voice in the video game.

I also saw an interview with Walberg and Holland. Apparently this movie has been on the “to make” list for some time. From what I gathered from the interview, Walberg expected to play the Drake character but by the time the movie making came around he had “aged out”. I believe that the interview was on GMA. It was a fun interview.

Ready for the sequel as they showed the transition scenes during the credits. Always stay until the house lights come on!

He's Never Call Saul to me. Bob Odenkirk.

I don't play video games.

2 hours ago, F250 said:

I watched My Cousin Vinny the other day. My son came downstairs during a Marissa Tomei scene and asked who she was. I replied "the woman I wanted to marry instead of your mom."

When it's on tv I drop in for the courtroom scenes.  I often forget how many other subplots that film has.  Who remembers the pool game angle?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notre dame joe said:

When it's on tv I drop in for the courtroom scenes.  I often forget how many other subplots that film has.  Who remembers the pool game angle?

It really is a great movie. I hadn't seen it in a long time and forgot about the pool game. Also forgot about Vinny meeting the friend in jail for the first time. "I really don't want to do this."

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2022 at 6:48 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Drive My Car. Hamaguchi is a fucking master. One of my top 2 or 3 favorite 2021 movies. 

Just finished this. Murakami is my fav author but I’ve never read this particular short story. But it was how I imagined his text and story come to life on screen. Fantastic movie. 

15 hours ago, YChang said:

Just finished this. Murakami is my fav author but I’ve never read this particular short story. But it was how I imagined his text and story come to life on screen. Fantastic movie. 

Glad you enjoyed it. I watched it for a second time this weekend now that it is available on streaming. FYI, Hamaguchi actually released a second movie in 2021, Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy, which although not on the level of Drive My Car is terrific.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

West Side Story (2021).  Couldn't get anyone to watch it with me, but it was delightful.

Same opinion.  Never saw the original either, just knew the gist from pop culture references.  It showed up on Disney + and me and my 11 year old daughter were looking for a movie for movie night.  I figured it's a musical it will be fun.  Too violent for her tastes.  She liked the "I Feel Pretty" song though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Finally got around to watching "Parasite". Damn. That was great.

I watched 98% of this movie and enjoyed what I watched.  However, during the big knife killing scene towards the end I did not watch.  I literally closed my eyes.  Not gonna lie, I HATE knife scenes.  I can watch someone get shot, beat to a pulp, blown up, hit by a bus, etc.  But a knife scene?  I am out.

I always carry a nice sized pocket knife.  It is used for utility purposes only.

• Hook 'Em 1