The movie you just watched

F250

19 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Hustle (2022)

Trifling, but I enjoyed it. 

Who doesn't like Adam Sandler?

Good movie with a solid performance from the NBA leads which is usually this type of movies downfall (sorry KD). If you can stomach the corny cameos they needed to market the movie then this is a solid 7 for me. 

11 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Good movie with a solid performance from the NBA leads which is usually this type of movies downfall (sorry KD). If you can stomach the corny cameos they needed to market the movie then this is a solid 7 for me. 

Saw the trailer and it hooked me to where I put in on my list to watch soon. Felt like a less manic Uncut Gems but cut out of the same broad cloth of gritty drama.

The Northman.

The basic plot line was fine.  The fight scenes were choreographed fine.  The mysticism/religeous stuff was a bit out there for me.  Acting was mostly impressive except for Nicole Kidman.  First movie I can remember seeing her in where I thought she overacted scenes so badly it was distracting.  Overall it was ok - not great, not terrible, just interesting enough to see it through.

Master and Commander: Far Side of the World - This is one of those movies I have to watch if it is on. It's a sailor thing.

Those battle scenes really capture the horror of a nine pounder crashing thru the deck and then a bit of grapeshot and nails coming behind. Survive that and face a fucking saber. Great movie.

No Time to Die

What a bloated, slow, uninvolving dumpster full of shit of a movie. We turned it on Friday, and I was immediately put on alert by its 2.5 hour running time. It felt like 2.5 days.

They did a poor to non-existent job of making me give a shit about his relationship or, gulp, possible child. It's just kind of tossed at us. It wasn't any fun. It's a shame Craig goes out on this one, because he was a really good Bond.

I'm angry that I pissed away all that time on a Friday night. I would have turned it off, but the beloved liked it just barely enough to hope it would get better. She was way off on that.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

James Bond is a horrible franchise. Anybody couldve told you this. 

I'm not sure what this means. Are there specific Bond films you don't like? Or have you seen every entry and simply have a poor barometer when it comes to film? 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure what this means. Are there specific Bond films you don't like? Or have you seen every entry and simply have a poor barometer when it comes to film? 

James Bond is a horrible franchise. 

The Northman (2022)

Eh, I really wanted to like this more.  I thought The Witch was terrific - I liked the simple story and the idea of surrounding evil.  This one had the obvious plot with a nice plot twist, so not sure why this didn't work as well.  Certainly a beautiful flick and worth the time.  (I just found the Lighthouse to be too off-putting to have a fair opinion.)

ezgif_1_b0384664a4.0.gif

I'd like to see Eggers do something like a historical epic (Conquest of New Spain or Donner Party-ish) or maybe a police procedural in some outback area.  I think the Viking revenge thing is just kind of tiresome.  He didn't even have white trash hair like Utred son of Utred.

Still Egger's best character:

61iraxetaHL._AC_SL1360_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Pretty cool historical epic called Arn: The Knight Templar.  It's Scandinavia's most expensive movie ever.  Very well shot.

Had an issue trying to find both a high def download and a matching English sub.  The movie's original audio track is in multiple languages based on the scene/location, and the only official sub is in Swedish. 

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Pretty cool historical epic called Arn: The Knight Templar.  It's Scandinavia's most expensive movie ever.  Very well shot.

Had an issue trying to find both a high def download and a matching English sub.  The movie's original audio track is in multiple languages based on the scene/location, and the only official sub is in Swedish. 

Where'd you see it? I'm interested.

35 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Where'd you see it? I'm interested.

It's on my Netflix but in original multi-language.

AppleTV lists it as primary language English, but might be a simplification because the monks speak English.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/arn-the-knight-templar/id392406997

I ended up downloading it from the Swashbuckler's Cove.  Looking for the 2nd installment now.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/12/2022 at 1:39 PM, RPM said:

The Card Counter - HBO Max. Weird f'n film. Liked the poker scenes, but the backstory was distracting. Oddly, did not hate Tiffany Haddish.

I typically love movies about gambling. This movie moved EXTREMELY slow and took forever to get to the point.

Agree that poker and black jack scenes with explanations were entertaining.

On 6/19/2022 at 2:18 AM, RomaVicta said:

No Time to Die

What a bloated, slow, uninvolving dumpster full of shit of a movie. We turned it on Friday, and I was immediately put on alert by its 2.5 hour running time. It felt like 2.5 days.

They did a poor to non-existent job of making me give a shit about his relationship or, gulp, possible child. It's just kind of tossed at us. It wasn't any fun. It's a shame Craig goes out on this one, because he was a really good Bond.

I'm angry that I pissed away all that time on a Friday night. I would have turned it off, but the beloved liked it just barely enough to hope it would get better. She was way off on that.

There was an interesting movie in there centered around the 20 minute Ana De Armas detour. The rest of the movie kind of sucked 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Fud said:

There was an interesting movie in there centered around the 20 minute Ana De Armas detour. The rest of the movie kind of sucked 

Amid the ocean of suck, I'd forgotten that fun little sequence. It did have a spark of life to it.

Men in Black III

A worthy successor to the first one. Makes you forget about the steaming pile that was MIB II. Great casting, Josh Brolin was great as a young Tommy Lee Jones. Bill Hader as Andy Warhol was short but sweet. Will Smith has a line about slapping the shiznit out of somebody, apparently it was pent up for some time… oh, and because this is surly, Alice Eve has nice turn as young agent O. 895744de4e51d73f7a1eb1c4fd9bcc4c.jpg

• Drool 1

Watched Twins again tonight for the first time in a long time. I didn’t realize Kelly Preston passed away in 2020. That was such a fucked up year that I never heard the news. RIP. She was so freaking hot. And it was breast cancer which makes it even worse because those were natural and perfect. I can’t post the nude shots from the movie Mischief here but they’re easy to find. They might put you in a crisis situation.

9CD0CFDC-0A8A-4567-901C-2FA432798189.jpeg.543bdfa0fa6ffb862a05f839be4bccb9.jpeg

543DAAE3-3CFE-4440-94BC-D8A064B2A636.thumb.png.a4ac2cdebca8af7693154f53cbfeb78c.png

Watched a bunch of movies on a couple flights recently.

Licorice Pizza - excellent. I had no idea what this could possibly be about going in. The two leads were fantastic. Bradley Cooper was great in his brief appearance.

Goodfellas - held up surprisingly well. One thing that was unintentionally funny is that every character knew where someone was at that exact moment to call them on the phone. Even when Henry was shaking down a random person for payment, his wife called him at that guy’s business.

Venom 2 - stupid

Moonfall - worse than Venom 2

Scream 2022 - stupid and dull

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Still holds up.

Imelda f'n Quirke

The Commitments, a damn sight better name than "And And Fookin And."

The Commitmentettes can assault me any auld toyme.

Great, great film.  Cast, pacing, sound, story, all of it!  And yes Imelda fookin' Quirke.

"Ah'm sorrah mah Daddy puked in your trumpet."  And then comes the look of awe from Colm Meany, awesome actor that he is.  

And here's a nice link, if you liked the dark haired Commitmentette - 

• Like 1

Watched Killing Them Softly this morning just for the hell of it.  A couple of dumbass druggies rob a poker game run by Ray Liotta.  Brad Pitt and James Gandolfini play hit men.  Mametish dialogue makes it a stanger trip than one might expect.  Filmed in grungy, blasted, post Katrina New Orleans but city name is anonymous.  Director has recently resurfaced in new film "Blonde."  I enjoyed the hell out of it.