The movie you just watched

F250

Last night I caught most of Mainstream. Had never seen nor heard of it, but was scrolling and saw the names, Andrew Garfield and Maya Hawke were the leads and I am a fan. Both did fine with what they had, and I understood (or I think I did) the premise of the movie but it didn't quite work for me. Parts were quite funny or tragic, but it didn't have something--flow? Continuity? Pity, because I thought Hawke and Garfield and also Nat Wolff were working pretty hard at it and the idea of the movie itself was thoughtful. Directed by Gia Coppola, who also co-wrote the screenplay. Maybe that is her style and I am not advanced enough for it, or maybe it needed a little more of a rework.

Watching cinema and art is great, but have you guys ever seen the Disney trilogy Zombies? That's right, Zombies 3 dropped today on Disney + and it's a banger. Must see TV. If you thought the Zombies integrating into Seabrook in Zombies 1 was great and then the Wolves and Zombies coming together to find their differences aren't enough to keep them apart, then just wait until you see what happens when extraterrestrials take over the Cheer Competition!

On 7/10/2022 at 2:37 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

Watched Ambulance on a flight yesterday. Was good mindless entertainment to pass the time but nothing special. 

It’s definitely a total Michael Bay throwback, enjoyable for the cheesy nostalgia of films like The Rock and Armageddon. 

I just watched The Empty Man. Pretty trippy horror movie on HBO. It was on one of Stuckmann’s end of year lists and it’s worth checking out. 

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s definitely a total Michael Bay throwback, enjoyable for the cheesy nostalgia of films like The Rock and Armageddon. 

I just watched The Empty Man. Pretty trippy horror movie on HBO. It was on one of Stuckmann’s end of year lists and it’s worth checking out. 

The Empty Man was my favorite movie of 2020. Awesome stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw the Crawdad movie.  It was OK and exactly what I expected.  Funny this is that Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 35 from the critics and a 96 from the audience.  It's neither that good or that bad.  It's not awful but I can't imagine watching and thinking it was great or anything.

I finally saw Hereditary and really want to see it again and try to read up on all the clues.  There has to be some symbolism with all of the artwork Toni Collete is doing in the filler scenes.  Speaking of, the film is about 25% too long, they did not have 2 hours worth of material for a plot that has been done many times.  Every suspenseful scene had to have a camera pan and a staredown for 10 seconds.  So I am docking it down to a B+.  

32 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I mentioned this in the Netflix thread, but I watched the Bollywood films Bahubali and Bahubali 2 recently.  They were amazing.  I laughed, I was amazed, I was entertained.  Well worth 5 hours of your time reading subtitles.

Yeah, but are you Indian? You can't trust a Bollywood movie review from an Indian.

Would you watch a Hallmark Christmas romance movie based on 1 review from a house frau/cat lady?

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2022 at 5:56 PM, pch said:

Outstanding pic.  The allied effort to get this done and the failure of the axis to discern the ruse still is so amazing to me.

Better spies for the Allies (or those Axis spies caught by the allies and then turned), plus the paranoia and the absolute authority from the idiot corporal that ran the German forces. 

I didn't know it but just saw that Amazon might still have the story "Garbo The Spy" available. to buy but for some reason, not watch thru Prime.

Documentary of Juan Pujol Garcia, a Spaniard better known as codename Garbo. Throughout the years many have questioned Hitler's decisions or definitely the delaying of the Panzer divisions from getting onto or near the beaches in Normandy on D Day and the following days.

You can thank the double agent Juan... I've seen many documentaries or read about Hitler sleeping in or the his staff not wanting to waken him on June 6th, it's because he trusted "Garbo" so much. MI5 had given him enough true intelligence in the years prior that Hitler had the upmost confidence in him and, he had sent an intel message to Hitler that the landings in Normandy were a feint, with the "real' landings to come at Pas de Calais as they had been thinking, and thus be ready for America's best field General, Patton and his fake 1st Army.

He was so highly thought of by the British and (not realizing he was a double agent) the Germans, that he is probably one of the only, if not him alone, to be a recipient of the Member of his Most Excellent Order of the British Empire and also the Iron Cross from the Germans.

3 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Drive My Car - 2021

Hard to recommend because of the pace, but I loved this flick.  Reminiscent of some different foreign directors (Robert Bresson at times/lots of others who I have to figure out), Very beautiful and composed and I just really enjoyed it.

VIRTUAL-2.0.png

I finished it a few weeks ago. It was like a book that I could put down and eventually would pick back up again.  

On 7/27/2022 at 9:30 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

Two nights ago. First time I watched it all the way through. It was really good, a bit dark at times, but also with a terrific cast.

Dark is an understatement. Fantastic film.

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Dark is an understatement. Fantastic film.

I was thinking, while watching, that maybe this being made in the 1960s was why it seemed a bit dark. But, there are other WWII movies that were made in the 1960s that were not so dark. But then I also thought about Kelly's Heroes (1970) and how that was not your typical war film. 

But yeah, it was dark, and a really good movie.

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Spent the past 3 nights watching Titanic for the first time since I was a kid.

The whole modern day stuff was completely worthless. I wanted to hate the rest of the movie but I just couldn’t, I liked it. Fuck you.

She could've donated that absurd rock to charity but I guess she felt an absurd gesture that no one else on earth knew about was more impactful.

The Sinful Nuns of Saint Valentine.  Romeo and Juliette meet the Spanish Inquisition. Although considered nun-sploitation, it deftly considers the freedoms available in a regimented society. Can’t say just two thumbs were up and bravo for being made before the fake boobs era.