The movie you just watched

F250

I’ve been in charge of feeding our newborn from 12-6am the last 4 weeks, so I’ve had plenty of time to rip through some remaining 2022 movies on my iPad. Below are some recent watches

Aftersun - terrific movie. One of the best of the year

Decision to Leave - terrific movie. 

Stars at Noon - Margaret Qually, grown up.

Both Sides of the Blade - Denis’ second movie of the year. Good not great.

Vortex - fucking depressing. Yikes

Happening - fucking depressing. 

Armageddon Time - worth a watch I think. 

Benediction - good, but really slow. I knew nothing about Sassoon.

Nanny - watched this horror flick the morning before nanny interviews. Decent. Ending was meh.

Confess, Fletch - I laughed

Cha Cha Real Smooth - I liked Shithouse but this one was just ok for me

Munich the edge of war - not perfect but kept my attention

The Stranger - Liked it

The Wonder - Florence Pugh, why not

Bros - a no for me dog

She Said - ok. Stilted acting and dialogue at times.

The Cathedral - aight if you were born in 1987

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Men (2022)

It was all sorts of fucked up, in visual imagary which freaked me out, and in terms of the "message", but I like Jessie Buckley and Rory Kinnear was outstanding.  I thought it good.

Men1-900x531.jpg

The theater I was in was dead fucking silent when the credits rolled in that movie. People just walking out shaking their heads. Alex Garland is awesome.

I’ve been in charge of feeding our newborn from 12-6am the last 4 weeks, so I’ve had plenty of time to rip through some remaining 2022 movies on my iPad. Below are some recent watches
Aftersun - terrific movie. One of the best of the year
Decision to Leave - terrific movie. 
Stars at Noon - Margaret Qually, grown up.
Both Sides of the Blade - Denis’ second movie of the year. Good not great.
Vortex - fucking depressing. Yikes

Happening - fucking depressing. 
Armageddon Time - worth a watch I think. 
Benediction - good, but really slow. I knew nothing about Sassoon.
Nanny - watched this horror flick the morning before nanny interviews. Decent. Ending was meh.
Confess, Fletch - I laughed
Cha Cha Real Smooth - I liked Shithouse but this one was just ok for me
Munich the edge of war - not perfect but kept my attention
The Stranger - Liked it
The Wonder - Florence Pugh, why not
Bros - a no for me dog
She Said - ok. Stilted acting and dialogue at times.
The Cathedral - aight if you were born in 1987

I must be a lot farther out of the loop than I thought. I’ve only heard of two of those.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Lake Placid wasn’t terrible.  Good cast for what it was, so…… I thought I’d check out Lake Placid II.  Mistake.  Stink-a-roo!  Almost the exact same premise.  Single small town cop, hot game warden chick, arrogant big game hunter, etc.  Every character was cast with an actor who was a step down from the original cast except for the game hunter.  
Special effects were Sharknado level bad.  

Interceptor.  B grade action movie streaming on Netflix starring a roided out female body builder.  Bad guys steal Russian nukes (ICBMs) and try to destroy America.  Good guys (mostly good gal actually) defends off shore missile defense platform to save America.  At one point in the movie, they list the 16 cities that are being targeted.  I laughed at seeing Dallas as the only Texas city on the list.

I watched The Menu last night, and I'm having a hard time deciding whether I enjoyed that, Weird the Al Yankovic Story or Maverick the most out of 2022 movies.  Can't believe it didn't Menu and Al didn't get a single Oscar nomination for anything, both were great. They really need a "Best Comedy" category.

The Menu was awesome, especially if you or any close friends are very into high-end food experiences. I have friends that plan weekend vacations based on what Michellein restaurants they can get reservations at, so this one hit close to home. Really enjoyed every minute of it. 

On 1/23/2023 at 6:33 PM, bernorange said:

Interceptor.  B grade action movie streaming on Netflix starring a roided out female body builder.  Bad guys steal Russian nukes (ICBMs) and try to destroy America.  Good guys (mostly good gal actually) defends off shore missile defense platform to save America.  At one point in the movie, they list the 16 cities that are being targeted.  I laughed at seeing Dallas as the only Texas city on the list.

Russkies doing us Cowboys fans a favor. 

• Haha 2

The Duke.

Based on a true story about an elderly Englishman with a fight the power spirit who steals a Goya painting of Duke Ferdinand from the National Museum in London.  The dialogue can be hard to follow with their accents, but it was very enjoyable with heart and humor.  Good movie.

Went to see two Oscar nominated shows in the last two weeks:

The Whale-Brendan Gleeson is likely to win Best Actor, but JEBUS, this was a hard watch.  The special effects used to make him look 600 lbs will probably take an Oscar too.

The Banshees of Inisherin-Collin Farrell & Brendan Gleeson are great, but supporting actor nominee Barry Keoghan was OUTSTANDING and should win a statue imho.

Last night:

Everything Everywhere All At Once - mind bendingly confusing but Michelle Yeoh is a goat and Stephanie Hsu did a great job too. Still confused af

Whip It - a classic COA set in the Austin of my college days. Nostalgia kick and fun movie I enjoy re-watching from time to time. Lucy in Disguise, Waterloo, Alamo Drafthouse on 6th with Roppolo’s, downtown skyline before all the big towers went up. Drew Barrymore, Elliot Page, Kristen Wiig, Juliette Lewis, Alia Shawkat, Jimmy Fallon, Marcia Gay Harden (who spoke at my commencement the year after this was released)

Official Secrets, available on Netflix.

Holy shit this might be the best movie you’ve never seen. Kiera Knightly, Ralph Fiennes, Matt Smith (in maybe his most likable role) and many other good actors. It’s about an English whistleblower before the Iraq war. Really really good and makes me wish we still had real journalists. Just gripping.

• Hook 'Em 1

“There’s the son of a bitch, I got him. What are you some kind of doomsday machine, boy? Well we got a cage strong enough to hold an animal like you here.”

”J.W., now this fella is from London, England. He’s a Englishman working in cooperation with our boys. Sorta a secret agent.”

”Secret agent! On whose side!?!”

Never fails to crack me up.  

Roger Moore Fire GIF by James Bond 007

• Like 1

When do we get past the Covid movie making delay and get decent movies in theaters consistently again?  Seems like for the last year 1/4 of the movies showing are horror movies and most of the rest are just bad.  Current options at the draft house close to me 80 for Brady, Knock at the Cabin, Pathaan, Plane, M3gan, Puss in Boots (at night too) and Avatar.  No wonder they sent out $20 off food coupons at Christmas. 

• Like 1

Grand Prix (1966)

tumblr_ox1g5y6SRQ1thdnd3o7_540.gifv

I don't think there is a movie with a more disparate level in quality between bad ass coolness (racing) and moronic deadness (romance) than this flick.  Eve Marie Saint was horrific -- is she always this bad and was just perfect in On the Waterfront?  Garner was pretty terrible too.  Was he just told to be a boring asshole in this flick.  Was Steve McQueen not available?That being said, the chicks besides Eve Marie were great - Jessica Walter wow.  

The best thing was the Frankenheimer race scenes and tracing it to his later films.

tumblr_mxx5r3POJ61qikcuzo4_400.gif

• Hook 'Em 2