The movie you just watched

F250

On 2/12/2023 at 8:12 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Finally watched The Gentlemen, the Guy Ritchie movie with Matthew McConaughey as the lead. Didn't know much about it but it was alright and Colin Farrell was pretty funny. Don't want to spoil it, but he had a scene with Charlie Hunnam that was memorable.

I watched that one not long ago and enjoyed the hell out of it.  I wish Ritchie would turn out more of those.  

In back to back nights, watched:

Amsterdam:   This movie was kind of strange.  Didn't recognize Robbie at first.

The Menu:   This was absurd.  Couldn't look away, but just absurd.

4 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I watched that one not long ago and enjoyed the hell out of it.  I wish Ritchie would turn out more of those.  

In back to back nights, watched:

Amsterdam:   This movie was kind of strange.  Didn't recognize Robbie at first.

The Menu:   This was absurd.  Couldn't look away, but just absurd.

Ritchie has one coming out this year:

Operation Fortune: Ruse de guerre with Jason Statham, Aubrey Plaza, Cary Elwes, Hugh Grant, and Josh Hartnett.

Here is a trailer:

Upcoming is the Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare which is still in production. It also casts Cary Elwes, along with Henry Cavill, Henry Golding, among others.

The cast of The Gentlemen was pretty good, we'll see if these next two pieces that have some of the same cast members can hang with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Ritchie has one coming out this year:

Operation Fortune: Ruse de guerre with Jason Statham, Aubrey Plaza, Cary Elwes, Hugh Grant, and Josh Hartnett.

Here is a trailer:

Upcoming is the Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare which is still in production. It also casts Cary Elwes, along with Henry Cavill, Henry Golding, among others.

The cast of The Gentlemen was pretty good, we'll see if these next two pieces that have some of the same cast members can hang with it.

Well that's just wonderful fucking news.

I think I'm gonna have to watch Snatch again tonight.  It's time.

Finally watched The Gentlemen, the Guy Ritchie movie with Matthew McConaughey as the lead. Didn't know much about it but it was alright and Colin Farrell was pretty funny. Don't want to spoil it, but he had a scene with Charlie Hunnam that was memorable.

I enjoyed this and Wrath of Man (which i rewatched about a month ago)

Just watched Thirteen Days again.  I've seen it a few times.  Thoroughly enjoy it every time, though from the first viewing I figured that Kenny O'Donnell's role in the film was being greatly exaggerated compared to what really happened.  Which is true.  History Buffs just released a video about this a few days ago.

That channel is fantastic, by the way.  He's got a huge library of historical films he examines for historical accuracy.  If you want to laugh, watch his video about Apocalypto.  He blasts Mel Gibson's historical films, in general, but he sodomized that one.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 2

Well my review of Nocturnal Animals is pretty simple.  This thing got an absolute ton of praise for a story that's basically a Taylor Swift revenge song, only across a ridiculously longer duration.

Spoiler

If you're still acting out a revenge fantasy over a panful breakup nearly 20 years later, the problem isn't the chick who broke your heart, however cruel she might've been.  "Here's a novel where you and our child get raped and murdered and I get blinded before accidentally killing myself" doesn't strike me as an important moment in American literature, either.

Athena. About a riot in a French housing project and a group of brothers living/fighting through it.  It's pretty much straight action from the jump. 99 minutes. Cinematography is absolutely astounding and the action is breathtaking.  Because it's French, the subtitles are easy.  I don't know how this movie didn't end up on everyone's top ten lists. 5 out of 5 stars.  Maybe the only movie this year that can hang with Maverick on the action/entertainment front. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Cinema perfection …..

I haven’t seen this film but there’s a couple things in this short sequence that seem questionable.

First, Death comes for the Knight. The Knight challenges Death to a chess match with the stakes that Death can take the Knight if Death wins. Why would Death accept these stakes? Death has everything to lose and nothing additional to gain. Death should laugh at the offer and counter for additional winnings (like the Knight’s king or family or something). Point being: Death always wins, and we’re all just negotiating for more time.

Also, the Knight just happens to have a chess board set up on the beach. He’s alone; was he playing with himself?

I’m curious about the film now. I’ll probably watch it.

Thanks for posting.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, GenXer said:

I haven’t seen this film but there’s a couple things in this short sequence that seem questionable.

First, Death comes for the Knight. The Knight challenges Death to a chess match with the stakes that Death can take the Knight if Death wins. Why would Death accept these stakes? Death has everything to lose and nothing additional to gain. Death should laugh at the offer and counter for additional winnings (like the Knight’s king or family or something). Point being: Death always wins, and we’re all just negotiating for more time.

Also, the Knight just happens to have a chess board set up on the beach. He’s alone; was he playing with himself?

I’m curious about the film now. I’ll probably watch it.

Thanks for posting.

The movie explains it all. It's worth the watch.

Point being: Death always wins, and we’re all just negotiating for more time.

It's an important theme in the movie.

13 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Athena. About a riot in a French housing project and a group of brothers living/fighting through it.  It's pretty much straight action from the jump. 99 minutes. Cinematography is absolutely astounding and the action is breathtaking.  Because it's French, the subtitles are easy.  I don't know how this movie didn't end up on everyone's top ten lists. 5 out of 5 stars.  Maybe the only movie this year that can hang with Maverick on the action/entertainment front. 

Thanks for the recommendation, but this didn’t really live up to that review. No good guys or good characters. Cool visuals though. French riots seam weak and lots of WTF tactical fighting decisions. Not worth reading subtitles in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Elvis said:

Thanks for the recommendation, but this didn’t really live up to that review. No good guys or good characters. Cool visuals though. French riots seam weak and lots of WTF tactical fighting decisions. Not worth reading subtitles in my opinion. 

Eddie Murphy Yes GIF
I wasn’t aware there was a sliding scale for riot quality. You’ve obviously never tried to keep up with lightning fast German subtitles before. 

There were no good guys and lots of tactical wtf in Apocalypse Now, and yet it’s a classic.  Literally nothing made sense in Maverick, which was basically a rewarming of the first movie, with the Star Wars trench scene tacked on and Miles Teller’s mustache. 

If you can find a quality sub 100 minute action movie with cool visuals and multiple long tracking shots, I’m all ears.

Edited by Bateshorn

AO Scott captured my mixed sentiments on Athena better than I could express. Glad I watched it though. 

Gavras’s filmmaking is technically impressive. He pulls the camera through complex, kinetic tableaus in long, breathless takes. Some of these sequences are thrilling, but after a while they become repetitive, and Athena feels more like a video game background than an actual place. There’s no modulation: Nearly every scene ends in either a screaming argument or a literal explosion. Karim and Moktar rarely utter a line without shouting.

You could argue that “Athena” uses the syntax of action cinema to make a point about the state of French society. And while it’s true that there are real issues at play here — police violence, racism, the disaffection of the immigrant underclass — the filmmakers don’t so much explore as exploit them, giving a loud and sloppy genre exercise a patina of relevance.

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s just so damn hard to find anything good these days that goes bang and doesn’t take 2.5 hours and is a mediocre quality CGI fest.  I felt like the movie wasn’t trying to explore a deeper meaning and instead just took the viewers for a ride, letting them find their own meaning. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Eddie Murphy Yes GIF
I wasn’t aware there was a sliding scale for riot quality. You’ve obviously never tried to keep up with lightning fast German subtitles before. 

There were no good guys and lots of tactical wtf in Apocalypse Now, and yet it’s a classic.  Literally nothing made sense in Maverick, which was basically a rewarming of the first movie, with the Star Wars trench scene tacked on and Miles Teller’s mustache. 

If you can find a quality sub 100 minute action movie with cool visuals and multiple long tracking shots, I’m all ears.

No need to bring Maverick into the conversation. Erroneous!

Basically, I didn’t agree with the five stars. Glad you liked it.