The movie you just watched

F250

Triangle of Sadness. Terrible title because it's actually comedic. A lot of it is very good. I recommend.

Women Talking. Would have been poignant 30 or 40 years ago. Great cast. McDormand's role is brief. I'm glad Sarah Polley is out there making films. Away from Her is excellent. This time, it's like a study in the hazards of both writing and directing. The movie lacks tempo and each line and speech is treated like gospel. Polley misses on this one.

Watched The Good Shepherd.  I think it was my 3rd watch, and I enjoyed it as much as before.  Roger Ebert was my go-to for film reviews (as Alan Sepinwall is for tv series), and although his perception of some films' quality differed from mine on occasion, this was one of only two instances when I thought he was flat-out wrong--the other being A Few Good Men.  It seemed as if he was expecting/wanting some kind of John LeCarre spy thriller, versus a more realistic look at the CIA's origin/history (even with the Bay of Pigs subplot involving Edward's son).

I think anybody who's interested in James Angleton or the other important figures in the OSS-to-CIA progression would find this movie interesting, and I always enjoy films with an understated tone, which this one certainly has.  I was really surprised it got the mixed reviews it did, as I thoroughly enjoy it.

The Bonesmen's history in the intelligence community (and govt as a whole) is interesting, too.  There have always been a lot of conspiracy theories involving these Yale grads and their secret society, but when you read through the names on their alumni list, it's not hard to see why conspiracy-minded people would go crazy with that material to work with.

On 2/7/2023 at 3:05 PM, Elvis said:

I've been on a Gosling binge this week/weekend.  Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011) is an absolutley wonderful movie full of laughs, crys, and hot women.  Drive was a great re-watch.  The Place Behind the Pines is great and sad; it's basically two movies.  The Nice Guys (2016) is one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time, and it's really re-watchable.  I intend to go back and re-watch Murder by the Numbers (2002) with Gosling and Sandra Bullock.  I remember it being a great thriller.

Also, to whomever recommended the movie "Men" (2022) by director Alex Garland  (Ex Machina): I offer a friendly fuck you.  That was a completely unnecessary movie, and it should not have been made.

Ides of March may be his best work.

On 2/7/2023 at 4:32 PM, gofuckyourself said:

It's a work in progress, but Dead Poets Society, Empire of the Sun, Goonies -- though I think we've seen it, it's just been a while -- Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Miracle.

Obviously some I want just fun/silly and not just "message" movies.

That Thing You Do is wonderful. Prob my favorite movie ever. Definitely fine for 12-13 year olds. 

• Hook 'Em 3

It’s what you expect. Space humans crash land on prehistoric earth. Escape shuttle is inconveniently miles away from the passenger portion of the ship. Survivors have to get to the shuttle without getting eaten by dinosaurs and before the dinosaur killing meteor hits earth.

There’s a cast of two and they don’t speak the same language so there’s very minimal dialog.

I liked it fine but you might as well wait for streaming.

Diner. Incredible cast and incredible movie. 

"It just pushed the flaps open?"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

First of all… username checks out.

Wife and I went to Seattle last weekend. In preparation and following the weekend, we watched Singles. Yeah. We visited some sites in the movie, and I randomly stumbled across the park bench with the statue sitting on it while getting the wife some drip coffee.

I learned something about the movie that I didn’t know. I always assumed the movie was filmed and released when grunge broke into mainstream. Wrong.

Cameron Crowe wrote and directed the film well before nirvana and pearl jam released nevermind and ten. Filming wrapped in May ‘91. Ten and nevermind were released in aug and sept ‘91, respectively.

The studio sat on the film for a year because they thought no one cared about Seattle. Then nirvana, PJ, AIC, and soundgarden exploded. The studio released the film in sept ‘92.

sounds like teen spirit was originally going to be in the film but it became too expensive once it exploded.

Crowe was prescient.

Edited by GenXer

8 hours ago, GenXer said:

Wife and I went to Seattle last weekend. In preparation and following the weekend, we watched Singles. Yeah. We visited some sites in the movie, and I randomly stumbled across the park bench with the statue sitting on it while getting the wife some drip coffee.

I learned something about the movie that I didn’t know. I always assumed the movie was filmed and released when grunge broke into mainstream. Wrong.

Cameron Crowe wrote and directed the film well before nirvana and pearl jam released nevermind and ten. Filming wrapped in May ‘91. Ten and nevermind were released in aug and sept ‘91, respectively.

The studio sat on the film for a year because they thought no one cared about Seattle. Then nirvana, PJ, AIC, and soundgarden exploded. The studio released the film in sept ‘92.

sounds like teen spirit was originally going to be in the film but it became too expensive once it exploded.

Crowe was prescient.

Crowe had a pretty great run from Say Anything, Singles, Jerry Maguire, Vanilla Sky and Almost Famous. Then he just turned to complete and absolute shit. 

14 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Crowe had a pretty great run from Say Anything, Singles, Jerry Maguire, Vanilla Sky and Almost Famous. Then he just turned to complete and absolute shit. 

It's not so much shit but just not a lot of anything.  Since Vanilla Sky in 2001, he's done 6 movies in total.   Not sure why.

On 3/12/2023 at 9:56 PM, dogbreath said:

Diner. Incredible cast and incredible movie. 

"It just pushed the flaps open?"

Great movie.  
“The wedding is off.”

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 3:32 AM, GenXer said:

Crowe was prescient.

Couldn't get through Guardians of the Galaxy even though the opening sequence is solid. I keep trying the genre, but the successes are so few. The Dark Knight is the brightly shining exception. Iron Man and Deadpool were surely amusing.

We did watch the entire Cruella. The Emmas are so good as are other recognizable members of the cast. The movie is an endless turd. A few laughs, but the soundtrack become a beating even though it was a parade of good songs. Every scene starts like a music video. 

I had to get HULU Live TV to watch the Oscars with friends over. It comes with Disney+. Very little I care about on that channel. We did watch an episode of Zorro which was only the faintest of memories from early early childhood. I was crazy for Zorro. The episode was fun in the sense that it's like remembering a good dream.

21 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I had to get HULU Live TV to watch the Oscars with friends over. It comes with Disney+. Very little I care about on that channel. We did watch an episode of Zorro which was only the faintest of memories from early early childhood. I was crazy for Zorro. The episode was fun in the sense that it's like remembering a good dream.

You should give Andor, the Star Wars series on Disney+, a shot. It's probably the best production of the entire Star Wars universe ever created, and I don't think I'm alone in that opinion. It's really, really good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 Years a Slave. It’s a tough watch if you’re from the South, or a decent human being. I knew Brad Pitt was in it, didn’t know he produced it. Most of my family on my dad’s side owned slaves, quite a few of them. If I could find a time machine I’d probably go put a bullet in every one of them. But then I’d never be born so I couldn’t go back in time to kill them, yada yada, yada…

Mechanical Violator Hakaider

It has the pretense of Blade Runner esqe allegory in a tale of Japanese Terminator versus Japanese Robocop.  The special effects made us laugh.  The acting is terrible.  It's a glorious hunk of cheese.  Available for streaming on Prime Video currently.

I just got done watching The Yin and Yang of Gerry Lopez, directed by Stacy Peralta.  I very much enjoyed it, but I have liked all of Stacy's work and although I am not a surfer, I enjoy documentaries about it.  Especially the stories from the 60s and 70s where these globe hopping surfers venture off the beaten path for hidden waves.  Anyways, it is free on youtube.

Kind of hope someone makes a documentary about Bill and Mike Boyum.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I just got done watching The Yin and Yang of Gerry Lopez, directed by Stacy Peralta.  I very much enjoyed it, but I have liked all of Stacy's work and although I am not a surfer, I enjoy documentaries about it.  Especially the stories from the 60s and 70s where these globe hopping surfers venture off the beaten path for hidden waves.  Anyways, it is free on youtube.

Kind of hope someone makes a documentary about Bill and Mike Boyum.

conan5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

So, I saw that Cleopatra was on HBOMax and I've always enjoyed it, so I'm enjoying it once again, when something grabs my attention that, for reasons I don't know, I never paid attention to before.

During the Battle of Actium, Cleopatra's ship has a map table set up so that she can see how the battle's unfolding as they move the pieces around.  Given that it's a naval battle, the table is the sea and instead of tokens depicting legions, it's covered with little toy ships.

They made the decision, obviously for cinematic effect, to have the ships launching incendiary ballistae at each other, resulting in a ton of ships going up in flames.

Apparently, whoever was in charge of the map table for Cleopatra was so incredibly devoted to detail, that they set the little toy ships on fire.  I've seen this movie numerous times since I was elementary school aged in the 1970's.  No idea why this ever grabbed my attention before, but this time it caused one of those laughing fits that just get worse the more you try to stop laughing.  Of all the silly shit they did in these old, epic films, for me this positively takes the cake.

IMG_0239.jpeg

Edited by Augustus