The movie you just watched

F250

What Price Glory (1952)

John Ford's remake is weird but I liked it.  Sort of like if he had made one of his cavalry flicks, but with Cagney, as a musical, but then he cut all the dance numbers.  Or if the whole movie was the Fess Parker wedding scene from the Searchers. 

But it's Ford so it's worth it.  Bonus was spotting the "Sammy Davis Baker Junior" grandpa from 16 candles. 

what-price-glory-4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

What Price Glory (1952)

John Ford's remake is weird but I liked it.  Sort of like if he had made one of his cavalry flicks, but with Cagney, as a musical, but then he cut all the dance numbers.  Or if the whole movie was the Fess Parker wedding scene from the Searchers. 

But it's Ford so it's worth it.  Bonus was spotting the "Sammy Davis Baker Junior" grandpa from 16 candles. 

what-price-glory-4.jpg

22eal6.gif

On 5/29/2023 at 2:05 PM, UpperWestside said:

The Little Mermaid. Sometimes I enjoy seeing movies that are animated because they are usually pretty positive overall. I really enjoyed this one. I do not have much memory of the first movie, but this was cool. Highly recommended to those of y’all with families. 

It’s over two hours long, nearly an hour longer than the original. That concerns me. But I’m seeing really good reviews (from viewers not miserable critics). I’ll see it eventually, but 2 hours 15 minutes? Goddamn, that’s some vanity. 

Went to see Mulholland Drive last night on 35 mm with Richard Green (The Magician) doing Q&A and the chick that sang the Spanish version of “Crying” hanging out as well. Very cool experience. Seen it 3-4 times through the years, but this was like seeing it for the first time. Still don’t know what tf was going on, but great flick.

• Hook 'Em 3

You Hurt My Feelings

My wife and I really enjoyed it.  Julia Louis-Dreyfus is a legend (not sure how she keeps getting better looking...maybe I'm just getting older) and the movie is very funny.  It's an easy 90-minute low stakes movie about the small lies we tell each other to keep everyone afloat.  I really enjoyed Enough Said, the last Louis-Dreyfus/Nicole Holofcener movie and this was in a similar lane.

Highly recommended for a fun/easy watch at the end of a long week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just finished Three Thousand Years of Longing with Idris Elba.  I would call it a cautionary romance set as a fantasy.  I enjoyed it, but it’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea.  It’s mostly dialog and a lot of people would say it’s slow.  If seeing enormous fat women naked is your fetish then you should definitely watch it.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Working from home doing accounting and other mudane computer stuff.  I usually have something on my second monitor to watch.

Yesterday I watched some excellent T&A horrer type movies.

Knock Knock

knock-knock-2593064.jpg

Sorority Row

sorority_row_girls_03.jpg

SX Tape - this one wasn't that great

MV5BNDU4MDE3MTE4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODE3

• Drool 1

Been on an Ivan Reitman kick without even realizing it.

What I mean by that is that the last two movies I’ve seen, in back to back days, was Kindergarten Cop and Twins (1988), both with Arnold as well.

Both are good, campy, 80’s/early 90’a cheese that is satisfying and mildly funny. Both are feel good endings and family friendly.

Hollywood doesn’t seem to make films like these anymore, which I guess speaks to the changed tastes of culture and people— these movies were smash hits in their day.

In fact, I read Twins was the 5th highest grossing movie of that year and Arnie and Davito forwent a salary for the % of the box office deal and both have said it was one of the best financial decisions of their lives.

On 6/2/2023 at 2:19 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

This shit sucks, don’t fucking bother. 3 hours of fucking bullshit about who can pat the most on the back, fucking stupid. 

I apologize for fucking bumping it, it was shitty. 

Wrong thread but the 30f30 on American Gladiators taught me less than you can get from the American Gladiators movie from back in the day.

On 6/2/2023 at 12:53 PM, mdmost said:

Blues Brothers. Going to Chicago in 2 weeks and want to get in as many movies about Chicago as possible. Carrie Fisher was so damn cute in that movie. 

Next up is Ferris Bueller's Day Off. 

The Untouchables circulated around Encore/MGM last month.  I almost wish I lived in a city cold enough to dress in a 3 piece suit + overcoat every day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Blues Brothers. Going to Chicago in 2 weeks and want to get in as many movies about Chicago as possible. Carrie Fisher was so damn cute in that movie. 
Next up is Ferris Bueller's Day Off. 

I was there for a weekend a few years ago. Walked into the Art Institute of Chicago with half an hour before pre-concert dinner reservations. I approached a docent and said “soon, I’m going to spend a day or two here, deeply contemplating the antiquities and masterpieces. But for now could you just point me to the Ferris Bueller painting?”

My kid lives there now, a few blocks from the beach, and I’m anticipating much more time to appreciate the city.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off with the kids on Friday. Last night, wife and I watched a movie that was weirdly a huge player when I was a kid. All you had to say was funny Tom Hanks and I was there. Plus, it featured Sela Ward with bad 80s hair but it's still Sela.

Nothing_in_common_movie_poster.jpg

On 6/3/2023 at 11:57 AM, HamsterHookah said:

Hollywood doesn’t seem to make films like these anymore, which I guess speaks to the changed tastes of culture and people— these movies were smash hits in their day.

The studios are totally business ventures now with little aspiration to take a chance on something that is not a franchise. It's pitiful. I think people would still love to see movies such as you describe, but they're riskier for investors than another Marvel movie.

You can't be sure something like Kindergarten Cop or Twins or Fast Times at Ridgement High will hit hit with audiences. Instead of spreading risk among a variety of movies, the studios put all their eggs in fewer baskets.

If tastes have changed, it's because the studios have narrowed what's out there. Kid movies (with stuff for adults in them! Oh boy!), remakes, comic book or novel franchises (the already mentioned Marvel and Harry Potter or Hunger Games).

A lot of talent out there being forced into molds with little wiggle room. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Two movies this weekend. Last night I introduced my day away from 11 year old kid to Better Off Dead. I don’t know if it’s kids today or just being an 11 year old girl, but she wouldn’t shut the hell up during the entire movie!! She really seemed to enjoy it though, and has been 2 dollaring me all day!
d4b6bebec71552cefe3947c27e589ed8.jpg

Second movie was Papillon from 2017 starring Charlie Hunnam. I had no idea this movie existed, and turned to it just to see what a shitty remake of a classic looks like fully expecting to watch a couple of minutes and change the channel. Fantastic movie and superior to the movie star driven McQueen/Hoffman version in many ways. I’m sure I’m way behind the curve on this one, but if you haven’t seen it, check it out!

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 2:05 PM, UpperWestside said:

The Little Mermaid. Sometimes I enjoy seeing movies that are animated because they are usually pretty positive overall. I really enjoyed this one. I do not have much memory of the first movie, but this was cool. Highly recommended to those of y’all with families. 

I enjoyed it quite a bit.  From what I'm seeing in various corners of the internet, I hold an unpopular opinion as "The Scuttlebutt" was one of my favorite things in this version.

On 6/3/2023 at 5:25 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Just finished Three Thousand Years of Longing with Idris Elba.  I would call it a cautionary romance set as a fantasy.  I enjoyed it, but it’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea.  It’s mostly dialog and a lot of people would say it’s slow.  If seeing enormous fat women naked is your fetish then you should definitely watch it.

Saw that too. It was odd. Not good. Not horrible. Just, odd

On 5/31/2023 at 4:45 PM, wutang75 said:

Went to see Mulholland Drive last night on 35 mm with Richard Green (The Magician) doing Q&A and the chick that sang the Spanish version of “Crying” hanging out as well. Very cool experience. Seen it 3-4 times through the years, but this was like seeing it for the first time. Still don’t know what tf was going on, but great flick.

One of my favorites 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 5:30 PM, Guadaloopy said:

I enjoyed it quite a bit.  From what I'm seeing in various corners of the internet, I hold an unpopular opinion as "The Scuttlebutt" was one of my favorite things in this version.

My daughter and her friends loved the movie but hated they changed Scuttlebutt, to your point.

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

How’s this hold up? A lot of the original edgy SNL that I laughed my ass off to as a 15 year old barely gets a meh from me when I go back and watch it today.

It's like watching an old SNL episode. It's dated. But seeing Gilda made me smile. It may have gotten dusty a time or two. Damn allergies.

• Like 1