The movie you just watched

F250

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Crazy Heart - damn good movie. Washed up, alcoholic country singer.  

I like that movie for a lot of reasons: the Dude makes a real passable Merle Haggard / T-Bone type that you could believe could be some country music legend, the original music is good.  But one is that it was similar to the Friday Night Lights series in that it is about the Southwest or Middle America and does not feel like some Hollywood impression of the Southwest.  

Custody (2018) French

Holy shit I thought this was good.  Kind of the slow pace you have with some of the good Iranian dramas, but the dude in this flick was just a powder keg (the french dairy farmer at the beginning of Inglor. Basterds).  There is a scene in the middle where the little boy gives an astoundingly good performance.

Not really a thriller.  More of just like the Iranian flicks I mention, just a slow tightening of the screws.

The Leisure Seeker. Donald Sutherland and Helen Mirren are and old married couple that take one last roadtrip in their vintage Winnebago. Sweet, sad, funny, killer 60's-70's soundtrack and we get a sex scene. Yay?

Was much better than I expected and definitely worth checking out.

Just did Quigley Down Under for the first time. Pretty hidden gem imo. Great Selleck/Rickman back and forth throughout and it actually presents some interesting concepts. Decent romance, good action. Great 2 hour flick if you're 7 drinks in and looking for some bullshit to kill time. 

Hell or High water. I really liked Chris Pine and his brother (sorry I forgot his name) interaction. Though filmed in eastern New Mexico (around Alamogordo I believe) it allowed the viewer to feel the desperation and poverty that exists in many parts of West Texas showing all of its barren glory.

And though the storyline was contrived, as getting someone to front you $43,000 knowing you were about to start pumping 2000 barrels a month of oil off of your property would be a far (and obviously safer route) then robbing banks. 

Hell or High water. I really liked Chris Pine and his brother (sorry I forgot his name) interaction. Though filmed in eastern New Mexico (around Alamogordo I believe) it allowed the viewer to feel the desperation and poverty that exists in many parts of West Texas showing all of its barren glory.
And though the storyline was contrived, as getting someone to front you $43,000 knowing you were about to start pumping 2000 barrels a month of oil off of your property would be a far (and obviously safer route) then robbing banks. 

Yeah, well I bet you drink Mr. Pibb.

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

Just did Quigley Down Under for the first time. Pretty hidden gem imo. Great Selleck/Rickman back and forth throughout and it actually presents some interesting concepts. Decent romance, good action. Great 2 hour flick if you're 7 drinks in and looking for some bullshit to kill time. 

One of my all-time favorites as far as cheesy but fun movies to watch.  Also inspired me to buy a Sharps 45-70 (Taylor's & Co. Model) rifle while I was still in college with my tax return

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

One of my all-time favorites as far as cheesy but fun movies to watch.  Also inspired me to buy a Sharps 45-70 (Taylor's & Co. Model) rifle while I was still in college with my tax return

Ugh I'd love to shoot that. I bet it kicks like a motherfucker.

Something else I liked was how visceral all of the gunshots were in that film. Loud and disruptive like it should be. You can feel the bullets.

Just now, ztejas said:

Ugh I'd love to shoot that. I bet it kicks like a motherfucker.

Something else I liked was how visceral all of the gunshots were in that film. Loud and disruptive like it should be. You can feel the bullets.

It actually doesn't kick at all.  It has a 32 in barrel and weighs about 12 lbs.  It's dead on accurate though.  The weight and barrel length greatly reduce recoil.   I hit a pig with it once at about 140 yards.  Tore his front shoulder off and blew his lungs out the front of him.  Rolled him about 3 times.  Looked like it got hit by a car.  

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

This one is so sexy. Paging Santa. https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long-guns/single-shot-rifles/1874-sharps-collection/1874-sharps-cavalry-carbine-45-70-22-round-blue-barrel-with-case-hardened-frame-single-trigger-walnut-stock-model-159.html

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Case hardened is such a gorgeous finish. Going nerd here but all of the case-hardened skins in Counterstrike go for high dollar (for people that spend money on frivolous bullshit).

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Case hardened is such a gorgeous finish. Going nerd here but all of the case-hardened skins in Counterstrike go for high dollar (for people that spend money on frivolous bullshit).

My next rifle purchase will be another 45-70 from Taylor's, but it will be the lever action with 26 in barrel.  Just beautiful

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long-guns/cartridge-rifles/1886-lever-action-rifle/1886-takedown-classic-rifle-45-70-26-octagonal-barrel.html

Edited by Trey3216

6 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

My next rifle purchase will be another 45-70 from Taylor's, but it will be the lever action with 26 in barrel.  Just beautiful

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long-guns/cartridge-rifles/1886-lever-action-rifle/1886-takedown-classic-rifle-45-70-26-octagonal-barrel.html

When you order that it comes with a handle of 100 proof bourbon, a ten gallon hat, and a rucksack full of chewin tobacco. 

I've never fired a lever action but I imagine it is just as fun as it seems. Especially when you're spitting out bullets that the Geneva Convention probably discussed at some point. 

On 11/11/2018 at 3:49 PM, Continental Op said:

Yes.  

Today's viewing:  

Worth seeing.  The Swedes are pretty fucking out there.  Whatever you think this is about based on the trailer it's not about that.    

I learned that the physical makeup of Trolls is different.  Not exactly a love story.  Yes, out there. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

When you order that it comes with a handle of 100 proof bourbon, a ten gallon hat, and a rucksack full of chewin tobacco. 

I've never fired a lever action but I imagine it is just as fun as it seems. Especially when you're spitting out bullets that the Geneva Convention probably discussed at some point. 

I like using them for deer/pig hunting.  Hunting with Iron Sights is fun because it gives the prey a chance.  Gotta be steady.  

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I like using them for deer/pig hunting.  Hunting with Iron Sights is fun because it gives the prey a chance.  Gotta be steady.  

You're a real hunter then. Met a handful of guys that got to be so damn good it got boring to them. One of them now bowhunts on horseback for whatever poor large mammal woke up that day.