The movie you just watched

F250

12 hours ago, Hozz said:

Deep Water

What the fuck.  Surprisingly watchable, in that it is 2 hours and we stuck with it in one sitting, but just a terrible, terrible movie.  

Put Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas in a modern erotic thriller, what could wrong? Literally everything. An awful movie. Poor Tracy Letts 

Dunkirk (2017).  2nd viewing. I know it is a source of debate on this board, but I think it's a masterpiece.  Certainly a technical one, as if you have to add that in speaking about Nolan.

That Spitfire and its fight scenes are terrific.  Just gorgeous when it is coming down for its final landing.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I finally watched "the Florida Project" on Netflix. It's disappearing in like 5 days. The more I think about it, the more I like it. At first I hated the ending, but I think I understand the choice the director made after I had a chance to sleep on it. I highly recommend it. But fuck, generational poverty is a bitch. The only unrealistic thing about the movie was the quality of the deadbeat mom's tattoos. They would not have been that well done. And they're not even that great.  

I watched 3 terrible movies on my flight over spring break.

The new Scream was awful and I would’ve stopped watching it if I had anything else to do.

“No Sudden Move” with Benicio del Toro was the best of the 3 but still bad.

The worst was a movie called “Every Last One of Them” about a guy looking for his missing daughter. The movie had no flow and made no sense really.

9 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Dunkirk (2017).  2nd viewing. I know it is a source of debate on this board, but I think it's a masterpiece.  Certainly a technical one, as if you have to add that in speaking about Nolan.

That Spitfire and its fight scenes are terrific.  Just gorgeous when it is coming down for its final landing.

It auto played the other night while I was ducking around. The whole uninterrupted scene between the soldier escaping the town to the bombing raid on the beach is just riveting.

Reminded me of the beginning of dark knight.

23 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I finally watched "the Florida Project" on Netflix. It's disappearing in like 5 days. The more I think about it, the more I like it. At first I hated the ending, but I think I understand the choice the director made after I had a chance to sleep on it. I highly recommend it. But fuck, generational poverty is a bitch. The only unrealistic thing about the movie was the quality of the deadbeat mom's tattoos. They would not have been that well done. And they're not even that great.  

This is an excellent, but shattering movie.  Example 50,635 that Willem Dafoe is desperately overdue for an Oscar.  

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

This is an excellent, but shattering movie.  Example 50,635 that Willem Dafoe is desperately overdue for an Oscar.  

Florida Project is excellent. I liked Red Rocket this year also, but probably like Florida Project a bit more.

Watched Windfall on Netflix last night. Three good actors chewing scenes with Hitchcockian music and vibe. Not overly special but a good, easy hour and a half. And Lilly Collins, holy smokes.

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock

On 3/22/2022 at 3:45 PM, irishtexan said:

I could not stand that movie.  I think we turned it off before it was even over.  Not a single likeable character in it.  

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Belfast.  Holy shit, what a great movie.   Literally everyone in it just crushed their role, and Van Morrison did all the music.  Will clean up Sunday at the Oscars.

Yes.

If Dame Judi Dench is in a movie, I'm watching. Like Dame Maggie Smith, just a supreme actress.

When I was quite a bit younger, I saw Branagh's debut movie as a director and not long after, another of his--both Shakespeare-- and those are some of my faves of his to this day.

Caught "No Country for Old Men" again recently.  I cannot stop watching it if I ever start.  The tension in the scenes with Senor Bardem and his victims and would-be victims ("Call it.") are mesmerizing.  Tommy Lee is a perfect world-weary county sheriff.  The Coens are movie magic, from "Blood Simple" to whatever they did last.  And those pure-dee 24k Texas accents, from store clerk man to trailer park office lady to motel office lady to chicken truck man to Carla Jean (born and raised in Glasgow but talked as if born and raised in Fort Stockton) and her mother ("I got the cancer").  IMHO best suspense and grit film in last 25 years.  And no cell phones confusing the issue left and right.

No Country For Old Men - No information scene - YouTube

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

On 3/22/2022 at 8:39 AM, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I still wish Hardy was just seen walking away from the fire rather than knowing he was caught.  

8 hours ago, Player said:

Barry Corbin lays down some of the most profound knowledge in his brief role, and of course is as Texan as it gets.

True that; and I failed to mention the protagonist, Josh Brolin’s doomed heroic turn. You want him to prevail and survive but Chigurr is the survivor.  Time to revisit him, I believe.  You call it.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:54 PM, Beau Vine said:

Belfast.  Holy shit, what a great movie.   Literally everyone in it just crushed their role, and Van Morrison did all the music.  Will clean up Sunday at the Oscars.

It was good. Had JoJo Rabbit vibes. Not as good, but very good nonetheless.

Watched 2 movies on my flight to Japan a couple days ago.

First the bad, The Souvenir (Part II). I’m usually pretty patient with slow starters, not this time. Fought thru about 30 tedious minutes before finally giving up. Seemed to feature some miserable wretch agonizing over life or some such. Don’t care.

Switched over to Boiling Point. Absolutely loved it. Purportedly a one take film taking place over one evening at a London eatery. Steven Graham is the lead as the Chef with issues. He usually takes over the screen but gives an (appropriately) more muted performance. Vinette Robinson as his assistant head chef absolutely steals the show and I was not surprised to see she won Best Supporting Actress from BIFA. This movie was tense, somewhat depressing but also had some LOL moments. Really enjoyed it.

On 3/27/2022 at 2:00 AM, DallasGatr said:

First the bad, The Souvenir (Part II). I’m usually pretty patient with slow starters, not this time. Fought thru about 30 tedious minutes before finally giving up. Seemed to feature some miserable wretch agonizing over life or some such. Don’t care.

Movie snobs and critics loved the first one, while general audiences did not; I ended up in the middle with a 5/10. Portrait of a Lady on Fire was a much better 2019 foreign relationship movie (I had it as a 10/10)

Probably will never watch Part II, just not my cup of tea, and there are too many other movies to watch

Seeing Everything Everywhere All At Once on Friday. The trailer doesn’t grab me but it’s getting rave reviews, so we’ll see.

The trailer is terrible and insists upon itself.

I worry this is getting rave reviews because you’re supposed to like it and not because it is any good.

Report back in what you think.

On 3/23/2022 at 8:14 PM, Incredulity said:

Pussy is undefeated.

61’ version is the first classic movie/musical I really “got” when I saw it in JR High.  

Identified with Lt. Schrank, eh?

"Oh, yeah, sure, I know: It's a free country and I ain't got the right.. But I got a badge. Whaddaya you got?"

On 3/25/2022 at 8:55 PM, Macanudo said:

I still wish Hardy was just seen walking away from the fire rather than knowing he was caught.  

Oh, man, I could not disagree more.  Again, I just finished the second viewing, and that, as well as the fact that Commander Bolton was staying behind, drive home the fact that it's going to be a long fucking war.

I'd like to think that the Hardy character traded some wisecracks with Chuck Bronson in The Great Escape. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/17/2022 at 1:35 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

Same opinion.  Never saw the original either, just knew the gist from pop culture references.  It showed up on Disney + and me and my 11 year old daughter were looking for a movie for movie night.  I figured it's a musical it will be fun.  Too violent for her tastes.  She liked the "I Feel Pretty" song though. 

You should watch the original. Natalie Wood (I mean, her name is actually Wood!) and Rita Moreno. Mrowr. And the soundtrack album was the only decent record my parents owned when I was a child.

I played A-rab in my high school’s production of West Side Story. He’s the Jet who gets beat up by the Sharks at the beginning of the play. Our choreographer wasn’t particularly kind and included a move where a couple Sharks held me by my hands and feet and threw me across the stage. The idea was that they would release me at the bottom of the swing and I would roll. It took a number of rehearsals before they got it right. I got fairly battered. But hey, the show must go on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/30/2022 at 8:23 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

You should watch the original. Natalie Wood (I mean, her name is actually Wood!) and Rita Moreno. Mrowr. And the soundtrack album was the only decent record my parents owned when I was a child.

I played A-rab in my high school’s production of West Side Story. He’s the Jet who gets beat up by the Sharks at the beginning of the play. Our choreographer wasn’t particularly kind and included a move where a couple Sharks held me by my hands and feet and threw me across the stage. The idea was that they would release me at the bottom of the swing and I would roll. It took a number of rehearsals before they got it right. I got fairly battered. But hey, the show must go on. 

This explains a lot.

• Haha 3

I enjoy musicals and haven't gotten excited about the WSS remake although it's supposedly very good. I will. Agree that Natalie Wood was not Puerto Rican enough.

You know the joke right? What wood doesn't float?

Officer Krumpke scene is so fun.

Edited by Nolacycling

10 hours ago, Frieda’s Boss said:

Hostiles. Christian Bale, Rosamund Pike, Wes Studi, Jonathan Majors, Rory Cochran, etc. give great performances.

Really like this movie. 

Liked it too.

Gritty AF.

On 3/30/2022 at 11:53 AM, CooterBrown said:

The trailer is terrible and insists upon itself.

I worry this is getting rave reviews because you’re supposed to like it and not because it is any good.

Report back in what you think.

It was pretty much non-stop comedy and action-comedy with a pretty simple theme and message. The theater I was in fucking loved it. I mostly liked it - and really liked 1 or 2 scenes - although it’s not really in my wheel house. Well acted.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 1:45 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The Other Side of Midnight

Midnight Crossing

Midnight Ride

Midnight in Paris

The Midnight Meat Train

Chimes at Midnight

Permanent Midnight with Ben Stiller is a solid sleeper. True story of a guy who was a writer on Alf, Moonlighting, and other shows who was a closet heroin addict…

• Like 1

I know it has been mentioned before, but finally got around to watching About Time with Domhnall Gleason and Rachel McAdams.  Quirky romcom that surprises you with the emotional depth and connection.  

I would highly recommend this movie.  Streaming on Netflix free for a short time.

On 3/25/2022 at 1:07 PM, Capt. Squints said:

I finally watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it could possibly have been a little shorter. Superb acting all around with Frances her usual phenomenal self.

Fantastic movie one of my top 10 favorites. Woody is nails is everything he has done. Probably my favorite living actor.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, BigDSteve said:

I know it has been mentioned before, but finally got around to watching About Time with Domhnall Gleason and Rachel McAdams.  Quirky romcom that surprises you with the emotional depth and connection.  

I would highly recommend this movie.  Streaming on Netflix free for a short time.

About Time is fantastic - and you left out the best actor involved. Wouldn't call it a quirky romcom though - think it's closer to a lighter drama with some romcom elements maybe. 

--

I really like Rogue One but it pisses me off because it's so close to being a really great film and ultimately it trips over itself a bit too much to get there. The CGI Tarkin shit is just so bad and I can't believe they actually went with it. I guess I blame the Mouse.