The movie you just watched

F250

6 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I'm guessing he means Bill Nighy.

Watched a schlocky Western yesterday with Errol Flynn called Rocky Mountain.   Very dated and of course politically incorrect but sort of interesting.  

I watched that, too. Don't remember seeing it before, but it was interesting. I still can't get over Flynn playing Southerner/cowboy in so many movies with his accent and nobody questions it. At least in Montana they made his character Aussie born.

Recently watched a childhood favorite: Romancing the Stone. Then hit up Wikipedia to read more about the production and observed this glorious bit of subtlety in Alfonso Arau's bio:

Among a plethora of roles in his career, Arau played "Captain Herrera", a lieutenant of Federal general "Mapache", in Sam Peckinpah's 1969 western The Wild Bunch, chief bandit "El Guapo" in Three Amigos (USA, 1986), a comedy with Martin Short, Steve Martin, and Chevy Chase, shady businessman Manuel in the comedy Used Cars (USA, 1980), and the smuggler "Juan" in Romancing the Stone (USA, 1984) starring Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner.

Well played, Wiki author. Well played.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Watched "The Worst Person in the World" last weekend and really liked it.  The main actress (Renate Reinsve) was terrific as was her boyfriend.  It takes some turns that are unexpected, but I thought it was very affecting.  I found it to be a great representation of someone around 30, just trying to figure shit out.  

Worth a watch if you're up for something different.  

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Took the kids to see Sonic 2 today.  Not bad. They loved it

Not really relevant but my dad took me (and my older brother and sister) to see Jaws  when I was just 8 years old. Scared the ever loving shit out of me and I had bad dreams that night. 

Apollo 10 1/2. As a child of Houston from around that era (early 70s)….it was like looking into a time machine. Almost all of it. The moon landing itself and the music predated me by just a few years, and I was an only child (not for my parents’ lack of wanting more), but the rest of it was a bullseye. If you are a child of SETX of that era, the nostalgia factor will blow you away.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Apollo 10 1/2. As a child of Houston from around that era (early 70s)….it was like looking into a time machine. Almost all of it. The moon landing itself and the music predated me by just a few years, and I was an only child (not for my parents’ lack of wanting more), but the rest of it was a bullseye. If you are a child of SETX of that era, the nostalgia factor will blow you away.

It was fucking great.

El Viejito Enrique (2021)

I enjoyed but kind of meh.  I thought the son was kind of terrible - perhaps I'm too expectant of the quiet, moody type.  Even just quiet and surly would have done.  This kid seemed just out of place.  Would have liked more of an edge in the flick.  Clever idea at the heart though. Just didn't move beyond that.  

MV5BMDFhYWQ5Y2QtNjcyNC00M2EzLTk5OTktOWVl

On 4/10/2022 at 5:22 PM, tbone_ said:

I watched a bit of it and all I kept thinking was holy shit this has not aged well.

I don’t know. I’m not a believer but I think there are a lot of believers who are more influenced by that movie, and by A Charlie Brown Christmas, then by reading actual scripture.

But that aside, and Heston’s ham acting, I always enjoy the effects of turning the water blood red, of the burning hail stones, of the angel of death coming like a green fog. This was way before CGI and the effects were really solid for the time.

And what, you didn’t enjoy all the daughters of that one dude dancing for Moses to see which one could entice him into marriage? :)

Also, Yul Brynner and Edward G. Robinson were great.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

don’t know. I’m not a believer but I think there are a lot of believers who are more influenced by that movie, and by A Charlie Brown Christmas, then by reading actual scripture.

One of the best lines from All in the Family was when Edith was talking about Moses and she starts talking, if memory serves, about how he was left in a basket among the reeds and her story ends with "And he grew up to become Charlton Heston!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Lost Weekend (1945)

the_lost_weekend.jpg

Jeez, what a lousy drunk.  Didn't particularly enjoy this, but glad I saw it.  I've never really been a particular student of Billy Wilder but he's obviously great and I think I need to line up some of his movies to get a better grip on him.

The story to me seemed a bit overly simple on initial viewing but after following up on the backstory (and thinking about my own experiences with folks who were a slave to the bottle) it rang a bit more true. The "New York" street scenes were cool.  

3 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I've never really been a particular student of Billy Wilder but he's obviously great and I think I need to line up some of his movies to get a better grip on him.

JFC, talk about an understatement. Billy Wilder was a genius.

Double Indemnity, Stalag 17, Some Like it Hot, The Apartment, The Fortune Cookie and One, Two, Three are a great place to start. 

• Like 2