The movie you just watched

F250

37 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I'm comfortable with great. 

And I'd start with Sabrina, One, Two, Three and Sunset Boulevard.   Open to change as I revisit a bit more chronologically. 

Chronologically is perfect. Just keep in mind he wanted to do Schindler's List as an encore.

JFC, talk about an understatement. Billy Wilder was a genius.
Double Indemnity, Stalag 17, Some Like it Hot, The Apartment, The Fortune Cookie and One, Two, Three are a great place to start. 

One Two Three is so funny and often overlooked. Someone doing just one of these would be stellar. This is just a short list of Wilder’s.
  • Hook 'Em 1

AmbuLAnce.  I thought it was fun.  After a decade+ of wasting time with Transformers dreck, this was a return to dumb, loud, action movie Michael Bay.  A bank robbery scene, cool chases for an hour, surgeon bros facetiming in from the golf course to help with surgery in the back of the moving ambulance, etc.  There were also some good drone shots and little to no CGI which is a plus in my book.

Deranged Gyllenhaal was good and Eiza Gonzalez was hot as always.

Another Round.

Foreign film (subtitles) with Mads Mikkelsen about some high school teachers that embark on an experiment with drinking alcohol all day to see if maintaining a buzz improves their work.  The movie was slow and sad at times, but manged to keep my interest anyway.  It did have some humor and heart too. 

This movie sounded like a lol comedy when I read about it, but it's more akin to an art house statement about the human experience.

Where Eagles Dare - 68, Burton, Eastwood.

Buddy mine insisted I watch it. Pretty good, lots of action and dead Nahzis. Burton had a knack for being two steps ahead of everyone with the most Byzantine plan imaginable.

He also made out with a hot blonde in a barn about three minutes into the movie, haha, you do you man.

Uncharted

Absolute abortion of a movie. Every fucking character horribly miscast. Smashup of the video game plots, mostly #4, but unrecognizable and zero coherence. 

Just a stupid, generic adventure movie "loosely based" on a video game franchise. Even worse than the last Tom Raider abortion.

On 4/23/2022 at 9:46 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Uncharted

Absolute abortion of a movie. Every fucking character horribly miscast. Smashup of the video game plots, mostly #4, but unrecognizable and zero coherence. 

Just a stupid, generic adventure movie "loosely based" on a video game franchise. Even worse than the last Tom Raider abortion.

I didn't really get mad about it at all. Then again I never played any of those video games or thought that the respective films would be worth a shit.

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Short film?

I saw the Sorrow and the Pity before (it’s not short or trite). It really struck the point how comfortable the middle class was with nazism.  The resistance was largely farmers and communists.  I’ve seen parts of Shoah and those parts were emotionally devastating.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dogbreath said:

I saw the Sorrow and the Pity before (it’s not short or trite). It really struck the point how comfortable the middle class was with nazism.  The resistance was largely farmers and communists.  I’ve seen parts of Shoah and those parts were emotionally devastating.  

For clarification, Army of Shadows isn't a like Shoah or Sorrow and the Pity (which is really pretty cool).  It's a great and stylish film followed up a couple of years later by by the director's Le Samourai.  Those first two are commitments - don't think I've ever made it through Shoah.

Edited by The Original Greaser Bob

On 4/12/2022 at 12:44 PM, Hozz said:

The Assistant on Hulu.  Trailer makes it look interesting...the movie itself was terrible.  

One of the worst critics' vs audience's ratings ratios I've come across on RT; 92% vs 25%, which is a pretty big indicator that the movie sucks ass 

• Hook 'Em 1

Places in the Heart currently on TCM.  An excellent movie, well acted all around. 

Was really good friends with the girl that played Possum at SFA. She was in a couple other things, most notably young Holly Hunter in Broadcast News.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 5:45 PM, Mach 1 said:

Where Eagles Dare - 68, Burton, Eastwood.

Buddy mine insisted I watch it. Pretty good, lots of action and dead Nahzis. Burton had a knack for being two steps ahead of everyone with the most Byzantine plan imaginable.

He also made out with a hot blonde in a barn about three minutes into the movie, haha, you do you man.

That’s a classic. The scene on the cable cars still makes me squirm. 

Thanks to a Marvel marathon on television, I caught The Amazing Spiderman 2 again. I still think that director Webb and Spiderman Garfield got shafted on their reboot when Sony kept editing the shots. No shade on Tobey Maguire as I also saw his series when they first came out, but I remember watching Garfield in the role and loving the emotion he brought to it and the cinematography/gymnastic acrobatics of the Amazing versions. Plus he and Emma Stone were a great Parker/Stacy duo. So it was bittersweet to catch it again. Guess Garfield got a little redemption in the recent flick with the other two Spidermen, but what might have been if Sony had let Webb have more freedom in the first two and then gone ahead with the *Jennifer Lawrence as MJ for Spiderman 3 will be a question that's not ever going to be answered.

*but damn, I always hated that Gwen died in the comics. I don't think Stan Lee would've eliminated her. She was so feisty.

Got interrupted during writing the above post and forgot to proofread. Stupidly mixed up Shailene Woodley and Jennifer Lawrence. Woodley was cast as MJ, not Lawrence but I frequently confuse those two actresses together. Probably due to The Hunger Games and Divergent being released within the same couple of years as the first Amazing Spiderman movie series.

Was really good friends with the girl that played Possum at SFA. She was in a couple other things, most notably young Holly Hunter in Broadcast News.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

She was the cousin of one of my best friends in grade school. They were actually close, she was around some visiting family, and I dimly recall meeting her once at some sort of family deal when she was still a kid. She was nice enough, and didn’t make a big deal out of having been in a movie….but shit, I may be making up that memory in my head. It was a long-ass time ago.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Amélie

I have had it in my library for years, but I do not believe I ever sat down to watch it.  I needed some inspiration in planning a day in Montmartre.  It is a delightful movie.

Very good movie, Audrey’s cute as a button in it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Fugitive Nights - 90's Teri Garr, Sam Elliott, Thomas Haden Church TV movie by Joseph Wambaugh set in Palm Springs that is surprisingly not terrible.

Spoiler

Cutter, a down on his luck cop, waits for a early retirement from the Palm Springs police, due to his leg problem, while spending his days in the local bar. Private investigator Brita Burrows offers him one thousand dollars work to follow her client's husband. While on the job, he meets a young hotshot cop, Hareem, who's looking for a Mexican who might be involved in a drug trade, and was last seen with their client's husband. He joins the case. Cutter asks his ex-cop buddy Graves, who's haunted by the guilt for killing a boy by mistake, to help out with the job. Cutter likes Brita, Brita wants the client's check, Hareem wants a promotion, and Graves needs some peace for his soul.

Edited by RPM

7 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Amélie

I have had it in my library for years, but I do not believe I ever sat down to watch it.  I needed some inspiration in planning a day in Montmartre.  It is a delightful movie.

Followed this up with another Audrey Tatou movie, Coco Avant Chanel.  I love this movie and have seen it a lot, even if the timeline is sketchy and it glosses over a number of things about Chanel.  

You can probably see a theme of my movie watching, which will continue into the next week.  

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Followed this up with another Audrey Tatou movie, Coco Avant Chanel.  I love this movie and have seen it a lot, even if the timeline is sketchy and it glosses over a number of things about Chanel.  

You can probably see a theme of my movie watching, which will continue into the next week.  

Lots of chocolate, mood swings and booze too?

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2022 at 12:55 AM, 52-80 said:

1492- conquest of paradise

how did ridley scott think he could cast a frenchman with a gigantic nose gerard deparpoo to play a genovese/italian?

It's worth watching Nick Hodges eviscerate this film.

^^^^ I haven't seen it in ages, but it's an alright movie. Someone mentioned Victory either in this thread or another, and that's another one that I thought was alright as well. For me, not every movie has to be Oscar worthy to enjoy various aspects of it. Sometimes I have been pleasantly surprised to get drawn in by one of the supporting characters when an actor gives a great performance or when the story has a good hook. I love it when the (I don't know whose job it is, casting? director?) ensemble is maybe not top drawer but everyone is committed to their roles/characters.

• Like 1