The movie you just watched

F250

Watched the early release of Bullet Train tonight. That was a great movie. I will definitely go back to watch it again later this week. Brad Pitt’s character was so humorous and entertaining. The cameos in the movie were cool too. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone that wants to see something with plenty of fighting and killing as well as humor mixed in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Re-watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. What an awesome movie.

As an aside, how incredible was 2007 for new films? There Will Be Blood, No Country, Assassination, Zodiac, Michael Clayton, I’m Not There, Death Proof, Superbad, Before The Devil Knows You’re Dead, Gone Baby Gone, Bourne Ultimatum, Knocked Up, 28 Weeks Later, The Darjeeling Limited, Ratatoullie, and the list goes on. Incredible.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Re-watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. What an awesome movie.

As an aside, how incredible was 2007 for new films? There Will Be Blood, No Country, Assassination, Zodiac, Michael Clayton, I’m Not There, Death Proof, Superbad, Before The Devil Knows You’re Dead, Gone Baby Gone, Bourne Ultimatum, Knocked Up, 28 Weeks Later, The Darjeeling Limited, Ratatoullie, and the list goes on. Incredible.

Really good movie, but a goofy title. Ellis/Cave's score was incredible.

The Unforgiven. Not the Clint Eastwood movie, the 1960 western starring Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Lillian Gish, Doug McClure and Audie Fuckin Murphy. Can't believe I never watched this, because I damn sure would have remembered it. This is a seriously fucked up story.

Spoiler

Adopted little sister (Hepburn) is rumored to be an Injun, Kiowa to be specific by a crazy old man. Locals don't like it and when one of them is killed by the Kiowa they hunt down the man spreading the rumor and he tells the tale of the baby saved during a retaliatory raid. The man that saved her told everyone she was a settler's orphan and his family adopted her. Crazy Old Man's son was taken by the Kiowa and the family wouldn't trade the baby for his son. Mom (Gish) promptly kills him. The people believe the old man's story and shun the family. Now with nobody to help them the Kiowa come to fetch her back. Epic battle ensues. During one of the lulls in the fighting older brother (Lancaster) proposes to little sister and she accepts. So that's how it is in their family... Audie Murphy rides in to save the day, they kill the Indians, the end.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1

Decided to watch Poseidon, the 2006 remake of The Poseidon Adventure.  Quit halfway through.  Do not watch this movie.  I almost always make it to the end of movies, even bad ones, but this one sucked.  Made 2012 look like a study in reasonable plot development.

I would have continued watching if, just once, Richard Dreyfuss would have said "I was in Jaws goddamit, what am I doing in this piece of crap?"

11 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Decided to watch Poseidon, the 2006 remake of The Poseidon Adventure.  Quit halfway through.  Do not watch this movie.  I almost always make it to the end of movies, even bad ones, but this one sucked.  Made 2012 look like a study in reasonable plot development.

I would have continued watching if, just once, Richard Dreyfuss would have said "I was in Jaws goddamit, what am I doing in this piece of crap?"

Now you tell me!  Went to see it when it was released, TPA is a childhood favorite and remains so today and I knew this would pale in comparison but you nailed how utterly horrible this movie is.  

On 8/6/2022 at 1:03 PM, RPM said:

The Unforgiven. Not the Clint Eastwood movie, the 1960 western starring Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Lillian Gish, Doug McClure and Audie Fuckin Murphy. Can't believe I never watched this, because I damn sure would have remembered it. This is a seriously fucked up story.

Hide contents

Adopted little sister (Hepburn) is rumored to be an Injun, Kiowa to be specific by a crazy old man. Locals don't like it and when one of them is killed by the Kiowa they hunt down the man spreading the rumor and he tells the tale of the baby saved during a retaliatory raid. The man that saved her told everyone she was a settler's orphan and his family adopted her. Crazy Old Man's son was taken by the Kiowa and the family wouldn't trade the baby for his son. Mom (Gish) promptly kills him. The people believe the old man's story and shun the family. Now with nobody to help them the Kiowa come to fetch her back. Epic battle ensues. During one of the lulls in the fighting older brother (Lancaster) proposes to little sister and she accepts. So that's how it is in their family... Audie Murphy rides in to save the day, they kill the Indians, the end.

I've seen this one a few times and last saw it during Covid lockdown. Yeah, that love twist at the end was weird.

Uncharted - 5.5 out of 10

National Treasure type gig with Marky Mark, Tom Holland, and a few dozen ridiculous CGI-heavy scenes. Unless you’re watching with an eleven year old kid or grandkid, probably not worth your time. Magellan is rolling in his grave, which it turns out is not where I thought it was. 

Hombre (1967)

I've been on an Elmore Leonard reading kick and watched this tonight after finishing the book a couple of weeks ago.  It was a pretty good western.  Paul Newman was good (as always) as a man with a code, Richard Boone as smarmy bad guy, and Diane Celento as a sassy liberated for the times woman.  Longhorn Margaret Blye was nice to look at.  Good cinematography and a couple of cool shootout set pieces.

I got a question.

What's that?

How you going to get down that hill?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/20/2022 at 12:36 AM, UpperWestside said:

Just watched Uncharted. It was fun overall. There’s obviously some suspension of disbelief in watching a movie like this, but it was good throughout. They spaced out the action just about right in balancing it with the story being told. I am sure someone on here will watch it and not enjoy it, but I did and I would watch it again. 

Just caught this on Netflix.   Decent adventure/treasure hunt film until the last 20 minutes when it turned into the dumbest shit I have seen on a screen in a very long time.  I’m honestly surprised that the actors could keep straight faces while filming it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thirteen Lives - Amazon - Viggo Mortensen, Colin Farrell, Joel Edgerton and a ton of Thai actors you've never heard of. Story of the Thai boys soccer team trapped in a flooded cave. Ron Howard delivers his usual Ron Howard greatness.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/7/2022 at 9:51 PM, Guadaloopy said:

I’m honestly surprised that the actors could keep straight faces while filming it.

Slight derail here....does anyone else occasionally notice scenes like that where it appears that the (don't know the job title--editor?) person doing the cuts just said, 'screw it that is the best one we have' and you catch a glimpse of an actor breaking up (like they do on an SNL skit sometimes)

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Slight derail here....does anyone else occasionally notice scenes like that where it appears that the (don't know the job title--editor?) person doing the cuts just said, 'screw it that is the best one we have' and you catch a glimpse of an actor breaking up (like they do on an SNL skit sometimes)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 9:04 PM, WBT said:

Hombre (1967)

I've been on an Elmore Leonard reading kick and watched this tonight after finishing the book a couple of weeks ago.  It was a pretty good western.  Paul Newman was good (as always) as a man with a code, Richard Boone as smarmy bad guy, and Diane Celento as a sassy liberated for the times woman.  Longhorn Margaret Blye was nice to look at.  Good cinematography and a couple of cool shootout set pieces.

I got a question.

What's that?

How you going to get down that hill?

Actually one of my favorite westerns. It's Stagecoach with the Indian on the inside of the coach.

Cool Hand Luke, Hud, Hombre, and Hustler (the Newman H movies) are quite a run for that actor.

On 8/8/2022 at 4:32 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

The supporting cast is awesome, and ridiculous.

This one too, Gary Cooper as Marco Polo. Too funny.

Mr. Deeds Goes to China

• Haha 1

I watched Thief again the other night. Michael Mann and James Caan make a tight, tight movie that anticipates the great Heat which isn't so tight. 

I'm a Michael Mann fan. He wrote and directed Thief. It's rare someone can pull that off with such precision and balance.

On 8/1/2022 at 7:09 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

Strange as hell. I read up on it and it was written that it is now considered one of the best movies in British Cinema history.

But dang, it that one scene Jagger sure looked like Harry Connick, Jr.

Yeah it’s definitely strange in a hippie overindulgent bullshit kind of way, but still interesting.

Plus, Memo From Turner is the greatest Stones tune ever that wasn’t actually the Stones (though Ry Cooder, Randy Newman, and Gram Parsons backing up Mick is fucking solid). There’s a version of this that the Stones recorded (I think during the Beggars Banquet sessions) that’s on the Metamorphosis compilation, but it’s not near as good as the soundtrack version….

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/9/2022 at 2:56 AM, RPM said:

Thirteen Lives - Amazon - Viggo Mortensen, Colin Farrell, Joel Edgerton and a ton of Thai actors you've never heard of. Story of the Thai boys soccer team trapped in a flooded cave. Ron Howard delivers his usual Ron Howard greatness.

Between the confined space and, you know, WATER, that movie was hard to watch.  As good as this movie is, I think the story deserved a Chernobyl-style miniseries treatment.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Parliament said:

Between the confined space and, you know, WATER, that movie was hard to watch.  As good as this movie is, I think the story deserved a Chernobyl-style miniseries treatment.

This is knockin' on the door at home.  I didn't pass my scuba test for lack of being able to remove and put my tank back on. It was the only skill I didn't pass.  While putting back on somehow, I managed a big deep gulp of water into the lungs instead of air.  It immediately brought back memories of almost drowning when I was about 5-6.    

The movie is worthy watch.  Might even make ya' sweaty and fidgety a little.

On 8/7/2022 at 9:39 PM, Bama Llama said:

Uncharted - 5.5 out of 10

National Treasure type gig with Marky Mark, Tom Holland, and a few dozen ridiculous CGI-heavy scenes. Unless you’re watching with an eleven year old kid or grandkid, probably not worth your time. Magellan is rolling in his grave, which it turns out is not where I thought it was. 

This movie was laughably bad. The last 20 minutes of CGI should win a razzie 

On 8/2/2022 at 4:35 PM, Steamboat1874 said:

Watched What's Eating Gilbert Grape last night.

That is a teriffic movie.

Leo was incredible and became the youngest Best Supporting Oscar nominee in history for his role.

All around great cast too. 

uh, no

In 1994, he became the seventh youngest actor ever to be nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor at age 19. He was nominated for his performance in What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993).

Not even close.. He wasn't even the youngest that year. Anna Paquin won for The Piano.

• Hook 'Em 1

I loved Spenser Tracy in Bad Day at Black Rock.  I don't think I've really liked him in anything other than that. 

Problem is I just think I haven't seen enough of his films, other than the more popular ones including the Kate Hepburn ones.     

Any lesser known flicks you'd recommend where he is fantastic?  Especially the early ones?

Edited by The Original Greaser Bob

18 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Any lesser known flicks you'd recommend where he is fantastic?  Especially the early ones?

Fury

Father of the Bride

Inherit the Wind

A Guy Named Joe

Tortilla Flat

Boom Town

Boy's Town

and my personal favorite, Captains Courageous.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I loved Spenser Tracy in Bad Day at Black Rock.  I don't think I've really liked him in anything other than that. 

Problem is I just think I haven't seen enough of his films, other than the more popular ones including the Kate Hepburn ones.     

Adding to RPM's list:

Northwest Passage-  A colonial era movie about upstate NY and Roger's Rangers

Plymouth Adventure-  A movie about the Mayflower and the Pilgrims

30 Seconds Over Tokyo-  WW2 flick about Doolittle's Raid on Japan early in the war

There are many more.  He is good in all of his movies.

Edited by mininghorn88