The movie you just watched

F250

On 8/17/2022 at 9:22 AM, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I loved Spenser Tracy in Bad Day at Black Rock.  I don't think I've really liked him in anything other than that. 

Problem is I just think I haven't seen enough of his films, other than the more popular ones including the Kate Hepburn ones.     

Any lesser known flicks you'd recommend where he is fantastic?  Especially the early ones?

12 hours ago, RPM said:

Fury

Father of the Bride

Inherit the Wind

A Guy Named Joe

Tortilla Flat

Boom Town

Boy's Town

and my personal favorite, Captains Courageous.

7 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Adding to RPM's list:

Northwest Passage-  A colonial era movie about upstate NY and Roger's Rangers

Plymouth Adventure-  A movie about the Mayflower and the Pilgrims

30 Seconds Over Tokyo-  WW2 flick about Doolittle's Raid on Japan early in the war

There are many more.  He is good in all of his movies.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - I think he died soon after that was made. 

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World - Always kills me. The whole damned thing is awesome.

Judgement at Nuremberg - One of my favorites

Desk Set - Is pretty funny. He and Hepburn were great together

Adam's Rib - Another with Hepburn, but, also very good, with very funny Judy  Holliday

Libeled Lady - awesome cast, kooky film and fun

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 1:39 PM, notre dame joe said:

I am still not able to appreciate his genius.  I tried to watch The Good the Bad and the Ugly again.  Despite loving the cast, cinematography, and soundtrack, it was The long, the slow, and the silent. 

I wanted to like The Good the Bad and the Ugly but I just couldn't.  And all of the dialogue being recorded in a studio and overdubbed was way too distracting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched the new Elvis with Mrs. Llama a couple of nights ago. Best Luhrman so far IMHO. Music had a real punch and it brought the life arc of this boomer generation music and film fan back into sharp focus. Saw the real Kang four times over the years, first as a skeptic, then as a convert and then finally a couple of years before his death when anyone could see something was tragically wrong. Even then, morbidly obese and slurring words, he had incredible charisma and poignant humility. This film captured the IT lightning generated by Elvis. Butler and Hanks are excellent. The dude who portrayed Little Richard was boffo socko. Well worth watching.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Watched the new Elvis with Mrs. Llama a couple of nights ago. Best Luhrman so far IMHO. Music had a real punch and it brought the life arc of this boomer generation music and film fan back into sharp focus. Saw the real Kang four times over the years, first as a skeptic, then as a convert and then finally a couple of years before his death when anyone could see something was tragically wrong. Even then, morbidly obese and slurring words, he had incredible charisma and poignant humility. This film captured the IT lightning generated by Elvis. Butler and Hanks are excellent. The dude who portrayed Little Richard was boffo socko. Well worth watching.

That was an amazing period for music. Just the newness of it all. The talent, and guts, people had to do something different. It does suck how Elvis went out, 42-years old and looking like an 82-year old.

I saw, a while back, Cadillac Records, and I really enjoyed it. I don't know much about the Beyonce gal but, she was really good as Etta James. I remember the guys who played Howlin' Wolf, Chuck Berry, Willie Dixon & Muddy Waters did an excellent job. 

I've been lucky enough to see Bo Diddley and B.B. King in concert and I'm glad I did.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Bodies Bodies Bodies. Outside of a few really bad dialogue scenes, I thought it was pretty fucking fun. C+ movie that I had an A- time watching. 

I thought it was fun.  Pretty good satire.  Lee Pace stole the show for the couple of scenes he was in.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - I think he died soon after that was made. 
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World - Always kills me. The whole damned thing is awesome.
Judgement at Nuremberg - One of my favorites
Desk Set - Is pretty funny. He and Hepburn were great together
Adam's Rib - Another with Hepburn, but, also very good, with very funny Judy  Holliday
Libeled Lady - awesome cast, kooky film and fun

This was the list I was going to add. Love Adams Rib and mad mad world. They can ease the seriousness of nuremburv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

The Outfit (2022)

I must admit, I thought it was poor  Yeah yeah, Mark Rylance - you could watch him sewing, I mean cutting, and it would still be worth it, but the support crew with one exception didn't hold up their end.

86cc2850-c2e1-4639-8c0f-e8a12e8b2142.jpg

Agreed, did not like. Also kind of predictable.

On 8/3/2022 at 7:05 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Re-watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. What an awesome movie.

As an aside, how incredible was 2007 for new films? There Will Be Blood, No Country, Assassination, Zodiac, Michael Clayton, I’m Not There, Death Proof, Superbad, Before The Devil Knows You’re Dead, Gone Baby Gone, Bourne Ultimatum, Knocked Up, 28 Weeks Later, The Darjeeling Limited, Ratatoullie, and the list goes on. Incredible.

Eastern Promises, Hot Fuzz, The Orphanage

On 8/21/2022 at 10:19 PM, The Original Greaser Bob said:

The Outfit (2022)

I must admit, I thought it was poor  Yeah yeah, Mark Rylance - you could watch him sewing, I mean cutting, and it would still be worth it, but the support crew with one exception didn't hold up their end.

86cc2850-c2e1-4639-8c0f-e8a12e8b2142.jpg

yes to zoey deutch

5 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Or Sexy Beast (2000) with mid/late Ben Kinglsy, mid Roy Winstone and I can't place this guy Ian McShane.

Ben Kingsley was on fire in that movie. Reminded me of when Ralf Fiennes popped up in In Bruges 

• Hook 'Em 1

Rewatched Ex Machina with the beloved who hadn't seen it. It's one of those movies that I liked but felt like I hadn't taken seriously enough. She liked it very much, and I like it more than before. Very smart.

I'd never seen Bad Day at Black Rock. I watched it a few weeks ago. Solid. Great cast. I was late to appreciate Robert Ryan. I haven't seen The Wild Bunch in more than a decade. Might be time to sit back with that one again.

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I'd never seen Bad Day at Black Rock. I watched it a few weeks ago. Solid. Great cast. I was late to appreciate Robert Ryan

Check out Day of the Outlaw.  Robert Ryan as an interesting good/bad character.  Burl Ives steals the show buy Ryan is great. Mmm Tina Louise.

When the bottle starts rolling is when all hell breaks loose.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXzTHiqlhpK3Dr_2e8-_B

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Check out Day of the Outlaw.  Robert Ryan as an interesting good/bad character.  Burl Ives steals the show buy Ryan is great. Mmm Tina Louise.

When the bottle starts rolling is when all hell breaks loose.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXzTHiqlhpK3Dr_2e8-_B

I'll definitely check it out. I know I caught part of a western many years ago with Tina Louise. Holy shit. Burl Ives may be sort of a forgotten talent. He was great in so many things and a renouned folk singer as well. Big Daddy could sniff out that mendacity.

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Rewatched Ex Machina with the beloved who hadn't seen it. It's one of those movies that I liked but felt like I hadn't taken seriously enough. She liked it very much, and I like it more than before. Very smart.

I'd never seen Bad Day at Black Rock. I watched it a few weeks ago. Solid. Great cast. I was late to appreciate Robert Ryan. I haven't seen The Wild Bunch in more than a decade. Might be time to sit back with that one again.

Ex Machina didn’t get a nomination for anything. Nothing. The Academy is garbage. Bearded Oscar Isaac is best Oscar Isaac.

Just rewatched Nice Guys. Holds up like a champion.  Russell Crowe was in two of the best “what could have been” movie series that didn’t launch of all time with that and Master and Commander. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

Ex Machina didn’t get a nomination for anything. Nothing. The Academy is garbage. Bearded Oscar Isaac is best Oscar Isaac.

Just rewatched Nice Guys. Holds up like a champion.  Russell Crowe was in two of the best “what could have been” movie series that didn’t launch of all time with that and Master and Commander. 

It had to have been one of the top eight movies of its year. Vikander is wonderful. The story plot and subtext are really smart.

The Man Nobody Knew.  A documentary about William Colby.

I find those early OSS/CIA types fascinating and have since The Good Shepherd.

Colby was an heroic veteran of WWII, a member of The Greatest Generation.

The movie documents the "slide" from legitimate anti-Communism in the post-war era to the hideous mistakes of Vietnam.  In a lot of ways, it reveals more about the Kennedys, Nixon, and Ford than about Colby.  And the increasing moral ambiguity of US foreign policy.

And, watching chunks of the Church Committee, which were more controversial than anything we have going today, yet were incredibly "pithy" for lack of a better term, compared to the grandstanding and soundbites of today.

The film perhaps isn't all that great in terms of filmmaking, but the subject matter is fascinating.

Relevant to the French Connection discussion above, The Wages of Fear.

The first action movie?  Decent, a bit plodding and navel-gazing and somewhat unrealistic, but I think the first of its type.

Further relevant to the French Connection is the Friedkin remake, Sorcerer.

It has pretty good reviews, but I wonder if I should watch it close on the heels of Wages.