The movie you just watched

F250

I'd have to see the country singer he was banging before I judge.

He was an idiot. The dude scored some nice trim, as guitar players are able to do, but this one had a mediocre voice, but her rich uncle was bankrolling her. He was thinking he was going to catch a ride with her. She looked like Carrot Top in a short skirt.

We opened for BB King a few times. Twice I was backstage hanging with Cato Walker, his valet and bus driver. He was tired and asked me to take Lucille out to him. That ES335 had a glow like the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. I was scared I would trip on something and drop her and fuck her up in front of the audience. Cato told me don’t worry, there’s ten of em on the bus.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Watched Black Phone on a flight this weekend. I like horror movies and intentionally went into this one without knowing anything about the plot other than the kid gets kidnapped. It was actually a very entertaining movie. They could’ve delved into the “naughty boy” game a little bit more to build the dread and suspense, but otherwise I thought it was a solid, entertaining movie.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Banshees of Inisherin

The description is comedy/drama, and it delivers brilliantly. Just outstanding filmmaking in almost every detail. The cast is uniformly excellent. Collin Farrell likely deserves an Oscar nomination for lead and just about anybody else on screen for more than a few minutes could be considered in supporting roles.

Brendan Gleeson and Collin Farell have been friends for years and years. One day, Gleeson declares, without rancor, that he is done with Collin. Inisherin is a small island right off the coast of Ireland. From this simple beginning, the filmmakers weave an engrossing story.

It's good as entertainment, but don't overlook the drama aspect. There are some very moving scenes.

The movie provides a lot to unpack if you have mind to. It's rattling around in my brain.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

The Banshees of Inisherin

The description is comedy/drama, and it delivers brilliantly. Just outstanding filmmaking in almost every detail. The cast is uniformly excellent. Collin Farrell likely deserves an Oscar nomination for lead and just about anybody else on screen for more than a few minutes could be considered in supporting roles.

Brendan Gleeson and Collin Farell have been friends for years and years. One day, Gleeson declares, without rancor, that he is done with Collin. Inisherin is a small island right off the coast of Ireland. From this simple beginning, the filmmakers weave an engrossing story.

It's good as entertainment, but don't overlook the drama aspect. There are some very moving scenes.

The movie provides a lot to unpack if you have mind to. It's rattling around in my brain.

I'm going to have to take a second swing at this one. Maybe it was because I was tired from work, but this just bored the shit out of me and I had to bail. Too bad because I was really looking forward to it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/15/2022 at 9:59 AM, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Pinocchio (Del Toro) - 2022

I totally bought into this and thought it was great.  Really thought provoking flick.  To make a film that was this dark and yet retain the lightness it had -- pretty amazing.

preview.jpg?ssl=1

Interesting, I'll check it out.

I just watched the Disney Pixar film, Good Dinosaur, for the first time. I'd long heard it panned, but my son and I loved it. Best "new" Pixar film I've seen in years.

I saw BABYLON last night. It rips. It's not perfect and it's long, but it's Wolf of Wall Street with a coked out Moulin Rouge party aesthetic. Very, very R-rated. Brad Pitt at his most charismatic movie starness. It's out there and really goes for it -- and while several lengthy stretches and character choices don't work, I'd much rather watch that than some safe, forgettable Oscar bait.

Edited by Queen Bitch

I saw BABYLON last night. It rips. It's not perfect and it's long, but it's Wolf of Wall Street with a coked out Moulin Rouge party aesthetic. Very, very R-rated. Brad Pitt at his most charismatic movie starness. It's out there and really goes for it -- and while several lengthy stretches and character choices don't work, I'd much rather watch that than some safe, forgettable Oscar bait.

I saw the trailer and couldn’t for the life of me figure out what it’s about.

23 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I saw the trailer and couldn’t for the life of me figure out what it’s about.

It follows several film stars and rising hopefuls amidst the debauchery of the 1920s silent-era movie business. The title is a reference to a scandalous book, "Hollywood Babylon," which is a sort-of proto-tabloid that "documents" the era. (The book's veracity is widely debated, but it's also kind of beside the point -- Hollywood's always an industry prone to its own myth-making, even from the very beginning.)

Edited by Queen Bitch
  • Hook 'Em 1

I loved Hollywood Babylon when it came out. This was way before the internet and Hollywood tonight and these were shocking stories of celebrity perversion, murders, drugs, coverups, crimes. I didn’t know that Lana Turner plunged a knife into boyfriend Mickey Cohen enforcer Johnny Stompanato’s heart then put it on her daughter defending her. Or the death of Superman George Reeves. Much of it was debunked but much is true .

Bardo: False Chronicles of a Handful of Truths (2022)

This was fantastic. Hard to recommend, but I think I fit the demographic -- I'm the age of the protagonist, I love Mexico, and I'm becoming a bit obsessed with death and life and birth.  This flick has some truly beautiful moments -- the family beach scene is one of the most beautiful ever, and it begins with an insane image..

The movie is insists upon itself but it fucking works. At least for me.

Of the ten movies that have blown me away in my life, Innarritu has two - this and Amores Perros.

Again, I doubt this movie works for most, but it fell crazily into my wheelhouse.

The mexican directors are the best.

88515?fsid=88515&w=600&md5=55039467AE1ED

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/29/2022 at 11:07 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Fire of Love. Nat Geo doc about two French volcanologists. Available on Disney plus. One of the best films I’ve seen this year. Highly recommend. Some of the shots are just  incredible.

I'll give it a second upvote.  Those two were made for each other.  Some of the imagery was just spectacular. My only disappointment was subtitles in white mixing with various background items making it hard to read. 

Tar (2022)

Boy this is an icy cold flick.  Cate Blanchett has always been an alien being -- she raises my blood pressure and stresses me the fuck out, but she's pretty dam good in this.  A tough and trying watch but I guess if you like intense acting, she certainly fills the bill.  Todd Field has directed some good, cold hearted movies.

Palm+Springs+International+Film+Festival

On 12/25/2022 at 11:23 PM, DixonHur said:

Just watched Moonrise Kingdom.  If you like Wes Anderson (I do), you'll like this movie.  

I love Wes but didn't like this movie.

The two leads weren't in the league of Anderson's usual great leads.

I don't like Wes' overall dog body count, either.  Royal T's overcame that (great leads).  This one didn't.

Kicking and Screaming (1995)

A discussion of Noah Baumbach on one of the other threads (or this) made me watch this again when I saw it on Netflix.

This is a helluva debut I think.  It's incredibly evocative of pre-internet liberal arts ennui.  Plus I really dug d'Abo. She and her retainer had something going on.

Kicking+and+Screaming+3d.png

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Kicking and Screaming (1995)

A discussion of Noah Baumbach on one of the other threads (or this) made me watch this again when I saw it on Netflix.

This is a helluva debut I think.  It's incredibly evocative of pre-internet liberal arts ennui.  Plus I really dug d'Abo. She and her retainer had something going on.

Kicking+and+Screaming+3d.png

I’m a Baumbach fan because of this movie and the Squid and the Whale. I liked Frances Ha, but these two are rewatchable.