The movie you just watched

F250

Ignoring whatever stupid bullshit that is^

Just watched Stargate (1994 - Emmerich). I have always had a charmin-soft spot for Independence Day so wasn't surprised that I liked it - but it's a pretty damn good action sci-fi flick that ages particularly well. There are some interesting aspects to it - a lot of unsubtitled dialogue and I thought the direction was very, very good for what it is. Obviously some obligatory 90s cheese but it ties together pretty well and you get to see Kurt Russell fuck up some Alien Egyptian dudes in Kurt Russell fashion.

What stood out - especially towards the end - is where a lot of the concepts from Independence Day came from. Seemed like Emmerich tried out a lot of stuff that he returned to in ID. 

14 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Watched the Twilight Saga for the first time ever. It’s horrible melodrama and soapy, of course, but if you are an emo 13-16 year old girl I can definitely see the appeal.

So you liked it.

Watched Wall Street late last night.  Guess I'm on a Sheen kick.  WinnerwinnerSheendinner.  I've seen it several times, Gecko is my favorite Michael Douglas character.  Much better than the whimpy fucker he played in that virtual reality trainwreck with Demi Moorebush.  Musical score was very good too, had a lot of Talking heads influence.

10 hours ago, RPM said:

We have been woefully under exposed to the horrors of WW1. Seems like its largely glossed over because there's limited battle film compared to WWII.

I would doubt any film could fully encapsulate the horror of WWI. They Shall Not Grow Old included. 

If anyone needs a quick summation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I#War_crimes

While I admit I don't think I've seen a WWI that focuses on "the horrors of war", my favorite war movies are often kind of peripheral to the actual battle.  I thought Kubrick's battle scenes in Paths of Glory were beautiful.  A Very Long Engagement, if I remember, had some interesting, if unreal, battle scenes. 

I don't recall Gallipoli that well but maybe it came a bit close. 

I remember reading a book on the Boer War which tried to say that that particular war was the origin of modern true terrorism type tactics.  Again, another favorite war movie, Breaker Morant, is peripheral to the conflict.     

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Sicario: Day of the Soledad

Kept waiting for it to get good. Had some good scenes, but nothing deep.  Now just a set up for another episode.

I like Emily Blount, but I thought she was kind of a square peg in a round hole in Sicario, so I might have preferred Day of the Soedad.  But admit it did feel like the middle few episodes in a series.

I mainly stick to subjects that interest me, which tend to be sci-fi, action, mystery, fucked up, mind fuck, horror or dark comedy, so if those things don't interest you, I'd pass on these movies 

Annihilation- 6/10

You Were Never Really Here- 10/10

Midnight Special- 8/10

Hereditary- 10/10

I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House- 1/10

Buster Scrugs- 10/10

Update- 6/10

Blackcoat's Daughter- 7/10

A Dark Song- 9/10

Under the Skin- 4/10

Bird Box- 5/10

It Comes at Night- 7/10

• Like 2

On 1/24/2019 at 2:12 PM, Fud said:

Annihilation- 6/10

Oof. Came here to comment on this as I just watched it for a 2nd time. I adore this film. You better be awake and paying attention the whole time but man is it captivating and a bit of a mind fuck.

Suspension of belief best left at the door as it almost forces you to watch with an open mind if you are wanting to enjoy it. It verges on fantasy as in it is super ambitious sci-fi that throws a lot of conventions out the window, yet at the same time is carried by a love story.

I'm probably a tinge biased because Portman and Isaac are two of my favorite actors, but the intersections of action/thriller/horror/romance/sci-fi are rarely attempted let alone pulled off. Sunshine is the only other film that I could even really compare it to, which was also written by Alex Garland but over a decade ago (since I brought it up might as well add I think Cilian Murphy is maybe the most underrated actor in film right now. One more note if you haven't seen it: Sunshine is absolute nightmare fuel. Not a family movie night).

If you rate it a 6 after your first watch I would recommend you give it a 2nd viewing. The first time I saw it I liked it but didn't really know why. On the rewatch it became much more impressive.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

The Foreigner - Jackie Chan, Pierce Brosnan. Directed by Martin Campbell.

I had seen bits and pieces but finally got to watch it start to finish. This is a really good film. Even at 60+ Jackie Chan is not to be fucked with on the trail of terrorist bombers that killed his daughter. Pierce Brosnan is great as the IRA boss caught in the middle. Intricate 2 prong storyline and top notch action sequences. 

• Like 1

First Man. I had really high hopes so it left me a little bit disappointed. After watching, I went back and read Ramjet's and others' comments in the thread about the movie and agree with much of what was said. A little weak on storytelling and not enough background on Armstrong, and I thought Gosling's portrayal was just too wooden. And while I realize the subject matter was mostly serious, it could have benefitted from a little levity/humor here and there.

But it did a lot of things right. The scenes of the various missions -- and especially the moonwalk -- were extraordinary. Really well done. Wish I'd seen it in the theater for that reason. I guess I liked it ok overall but feel it could have been so much better.

As moves about that era go, it doesn't compare to The Right Stuff or Apollo 13 for me.

Edited by Art Vandelay

On 1/20/2019 at 1:00 PM, Parliament said:

Annihilation.  I think the premise went over me, and I for sure don't know what this movie meant to do.  And that's OK. But the trope of " quasi-military team falls apart and poops its pants right away when it gets weird," is a terrible plot device.  

I read the book.  Very strange, although I could see it being made into an interesting film.  Watched about 30 minutes of the film and decided it was too much like the book.

On 1/26/2019 at 7:06 PM, RPM said:

The Foreigner - Jackie Chan, Pierce Brosnan. Directed by Martin Campbell.

I had seen bits and pieces but finally got to watch it start to finish. This is a really good film. Even at 60+ Jackie Chan is not to be fucked with on the trail of terrorist bombers that killed his daughter. Pierce Brosnan is great as the IRA boss caught in the middle. Intricate 2 prong storyline and top notch action sequences. 

Surprisingly good.  I am always a sucker for IRA themed movies.

On 1/20/2019 at 1:00 PM, Parliament said:

But the trope of " quasi-military team falls apart and poops its pants right away when it gets weird," is a terrible plot device.  

(On Annihilation) Digging a bit - but this isn't really the plot device that is used. The team is meant to fall apart - they don't anticipate coming back. Each of them has a reason for self-sacrifice and does so because they know the odds of coming back are slim to none, yet at the same time they have no idea why they aren't expected to survive.

It isn't like Aliens where they think they're going to fuck shit up and then are rudely awoken. 

Every character is ambivalent on life vs. death and watching it play out the way it does is captivating imo. 

So I guess it's kind of a trope but it's done much differently than other films you could compare it to. 

On 1/27/2019 at 10:28 AM, Art Vandelay said:

First Man. I had really high hopes so it left me a little bit disappointed. After watching, I went back and read Ramjet's and others' comments in the thread about the movie and agree with much of what was said. A little weak on storytelling and not enough background on Armstrong, and I thought Gosling's portrayal was just too wooden. And while I realize the subject matter was mostly serious, it could have benefitted from a little levity/humor here and there.

But it did a lot of things right. The scenes of the various missions -- and especially the moonwalk -- were extraordinary. Really well done. Wish I'd seen it in the theater for that reason. I guess I liked it ok overall but feel it could have been so much better.

As moves about that era go, it doesn't compare to The Right Stuff or Apollo 13 for me.

But did it feature a group of sassy black women that actually put them on the moon?

• Like 1

The Pirates of Somalia - Evan Peters, Al Pacino

Rookie/wannabe Canadian journalist decides to embed himself with a group of Somali pirates to get the "inside story" and become famous. Things don't exactly go as planned. Pacino's role is small, but gold.

4 hours ago, RPM said:

I learned something several years ago in Vegas. Don't gamble with an Irishman. They lose their shit when they don't win.

I was going to say drunk Irishman, but they're always drunk so...

American Irish, especially from Boston. I've spent considerable time in both Ireland and Northern Ireland and from my experience they're a much friendlier and jovial people than American Irish. I guess all the discrimination the Irish got upon landing in America made them complete assholes. Boston Irish are some of the worst people on the fucking planet along with St Louis Bosnians and New Jersey Italians. All exhibit similar negative traits and lash out tempers/violence. 

• Like 1