The movie you just watched

F250

14 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Thanks, do you recommend any of the rest?

I'd put Dogtooth in a Top 10 Movies of the 21st Century list.  The Lobster is solid. Killing of a Sacred Deer isn't is good as Dogtooth/Lobster but is still worth a look.  Alps is probably only worth seeing if you really dig those other three and want to be a completest.  

16 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

American Irish, especially from Boston. I've spent considerable time in both Ireland and Northern Ireland and from my experience they're a much friendlier and jovial people than American Irish. I guess all the discrimination the Irish got upon landing in America made them complete assholes. Boston Irish are some of the worst people on the fucking planet along with St Louis Bosnians and New Jersey Italians. All exhibit similar negative traits and lash out tempers/violence. 

I didn't know that St Louis Bosnians were a substantial subset of people. 

44 minutes ago, lateshow said:

I didn't know that St Louis Bosnians were a substantial subset of people. 

Then you've never been to the Bevo Mill section of St Louis. Especially during a time the Bosnian national team is playing a game at the Cardinals stadium and they're throwing flares and bottles at cops. 

11 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Then you've never been to the Bevo Mill section of St Louis. Especially during a time the Bosnian national team is playing a game at the Cardinals stadium and they're throwing flares and bottles at cops. 

I can safely say that i have done none of those things. 

Edited by lateshow

On 1/28/2019 at 7:35 PM, Continental Op said:

If "dark and unapologetic" if a plus for you I would recommend checking out the rest of the Yorgos Lanthimos catalog.  The Favorite is a Disney movie compared to this one. 

Saw this witht the mishtress last week.  I guess we were expecting a Pride and Prejudice thing, so she was dissapointed and I was mildly impressed. Most amusing was that the only strong characters were women, and all of the men were pathetic. Perhaps I'm being redundant.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Wind that Shakes the Barley was a complete surprise to me whereas Michael Collins was kind of big budget.  For some reason I remember dutifully appreciating Michael Collins but really being blown away by WTSTB.

I think they're both pretty good. I didn't run into either of them until 5ish years ago and I hadn't heard of either when I watched them.

Watched Zero Dark Thirty and The Favourite this week. I liked The Favourite, but it would've been better as a Wes Anderson movie. ZD30 has been surpassed by The Looming Tower but it was fine.

Edited by SimonBolivar

8 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Wind that Shakes the Barley was a complete surprise to me whereas Michael Collins was kind of big budget.  For some reason I remember dutifully appreciating Michael Collins but really being blown away by WTSTB.

Agreed.  I did see Michael Collins at an art-house type theater, though.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Forest Gump, for the first time in a decade. This movie has not held up well. Who did it beat for the Academy Award?

Only one of the best movies of all time that holds up well. Pulp Fiction. I thought Gump was garbage in 94 as an 18 yr old. When the moron goes running across America I said fuck this and went to the lobby to play arcade games until it was over. 

Just recently saw bad times at El royal. Not bad noir/Tarantino style movie although the Dude was underutilized and Thor was hammy. I really thought the soul singer was damn good and she hasn't done much acting in film. 

You guys hating Gump probably aren't the target audience they had in mind. It's a fun baby boomer nostalgia flick. Nothing more. If you didn't experience what was covered growing up, it probably is a pretty dull history lesson to sit thru.

9 hours ago, RPM said:

You guys hating Gump probably aren't the target audience they had in mind. It's a fun baby boomer nostalgia flick. Nothing more. If you didn't experience what was covered growing up, it probably is a pretty dull history lesson to sit thru. 

Ha, never heard it put this way but that makes sense.  Not a movie I would see again, but clever when I saw it, and wife dug it, so us both being happy coming out of the theater after watching the same flick -- pretty damn rare.

c25ff7a16f03194c579b921310d5ae28.gif

23 hours ago, RPM said:

I would have found a movie where Gump narrowly escapes getting caught up in the Iran Hostage Crisis, gets Reagan's blood on him when he gets shot, finds love during the LA riots, and pulls a legless Firefighter Dan out of one of the World Trade Center buildings on 9/11 equally tedious. 

Edited by Continental Op
  • Like 1