The movie you just watched

F250

I watched the notoriously hard to watch "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer". It's exceptionally well made in every facet, and on top of that was a low budget movie. Just a brutal but great movie that I wouldn't recommend to anyone. 9/10

22 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I thought the Border Trilogy was more depressing than the Road.  Kind of knew what you were getting into with the Road.

Blood Meridian is pretty depressing as well if you're able to read between the lines 

Cormac McCarty talk not going away...

I liked The Road, the book moreso than the movie, but the movie was decent too. I’ve actually read it twice. I don’t have kids.

Blood Meridian is excellent but a difficult read.

The Border Trilogy is probably my favorite CM work. I’m probably due to read it again.

If you want something depressing, read Child of God. That’s pretty far out there.

Don't want to make this the McCarthy thread, but I'd never discourage a dad from reading The Road.  It's hard, it's a gut punch, it questions your most basic assumptions, it tears you to pieces.  So does being a father.  It also affirms that, despite those things, it's all entirely worth it.  Carry the fire.

On a lighter note, now that we've got the new AV system in, I've been having a great time with my boys (11 and 13):

Alien/Aliens double feature:  "Hey, this is like Halo!"  They stand the test of time, Alien as suspense/horror, and Aliens as action.  Directors cut of Aliens is too much with unnecessary backstory on Newt and Ripley's daughter, IMO.

The Matrix:  Blew their minds, still stands up, I refused to watch the sequels with them.

Terminator:  Cool story is unfortunately seriously limited by 80s SFX and styles/soundtrack as to detract from enjoyment by lesser generations.  We'll try T2, but I didn't realize how poorly this would hold up before paying Google 14.99 for it.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure:  I expected it to age poorly (it has), but it went better than I thought, and was still entertaining if cringeworthy in several parts.

The Birds:  Pleasantly surprised how well they stayed engaged, I see much more Hitchcock in our future.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon:  Held the older one's attention after The Matrix, the younger one went to bed.  Still beautifully filmed and choreographed, with a great soundtrack.

This is fun.

Train to Busan, a 2016 South Korean zombie movie.  Someone showed me the opening scene with the deer below and I had to check it out - it was well worth it!  It set a lot of box office records in that part of the world.  Does not have your typical American movie kind of ending.  I watched a subtitled version - there's an English-dubbed version, too, but the voice actors they got seem pretty ridiculous, judging from the English trailer.  I couldn't find the subtitled clip of the opening scene on youtube, but here it is in Korean (it's only about the first 3 minutes of the 10 minute clip):

Spoiler

And here's the English trailer with the terrible voiceovers:

Spoiler

Edited by TexLonghorn

4 hours ago, Parliament said:

Looks like a movie Gerald Butler should star in.

And who said T2 doesn't hold up?  It is the quintessential 90's action flick.  Shame on you, Sir.  Shame

That's not what he said ya dolt, he said T1 didn't hold up because of the sound/efx and he's right.  The sound was always terrible and never got better.  

Split (2016)

Okay, like this guy, you may not agree with me, But M. Night is an affable and solid director.  Something tells me that if we still had some kind of studio system and he didn't write his own shit, he might be more successful than he is.  I still think Unbreakable was great, and Signs is a perfect piece of America.

I don't give two shits about the comic book genre and I'm old enough so that I don't need to be overwhelmed with special effects (Signs). 

Something about the first two installments of the trilogy reminds me of early Di Palma.  But more affable and probably less interesting.  

tenor.gif?itemid=7783961

22 hours ago, tantric superman said:

RBG (2018)

Pretty inspiring and humbling.  You forget with the guy we have in the white house that there are a few folks with ideals who work hard and try to do the right thing. 

screen_shot_2018-05-10_at_10.44.44_am.pn

My agency had an event with Irin Camron today who authored the book that kind of sparked the documentary. Apparently it went well - wasn't there but a coworker was. 

Heard good things about the doc, will have to check it out at some point. 

Just saw Bumblebee in theaters.

Here are my ratings:

Hailee Steinfeld - 10/10 - partly because she can act, mostly because I bought the ticket to look at her for 2 hours 

John Cena - 3/10 - mostly cannot act but had maybe 3 redeemable lines

Soundtrack - 7/10 - a lot of cult 80s hits and I'm a sucker for anything 80s

Optimus Prime robot fight cameos - 6/10 only because there weren't enough of them 

Rest of the movie - 2/10 - recycled, trite B action movie garbage

Overall 6/10. Worth the $5 ticket on discount Tuesday, wouldn't pay more than that. Your 13 year old kids will probably like it, though. 

21 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Finally watched American Assassin. I thought it was pretty good, but I didn’t read the book.

Why would reading the book make a difference if the movie was pretty good or not.  The movie itself is pretty good...or it isn't, regardless of the book.

Seen a few crappy books that made a good movie, and tons of great books that never should have been adapted to a Movie.

Why would reading the book make a difference if the movie was pretty good or not.  The movie itself is pretty good...or it isn't, regardless of the book.
Seen a few crappy books that made a good movie, and tons of great books that never should have been adapted to a Movie.

I just didn’t care to hear from a half dozen posters who have read the book telling me how terrible the movie was. So I’d say your first sentence in incorrect for people who have read any book turned into a movie. Hell I’d volunteer situation proposed because Hell I’ve fallen victim to that a few times myself.

Just now, Go Pokes said:

I just didn’t care to hear from a half dozen posters who have read the book telling me how terrible the movie was. So I’d say your first sentence in incorrect for people who have read any book turned into a movie. Hell I’d volunteer situation proposed because Hell I’ve fallen victim to that a few times myself.

Oh yeah, that's a good point, especially on here.  I remember saying I actually liked the first Jack Reacher film, and was bombarded with "Books better...he's supposed to be 7 feet tall, blah, blah, blah..."

But yeah, that makes sense.

Oh yeah, that's a good point, especially on here.  I remember saying I actually liked the first Jack Reacher film, and was bombarded with "Books better...he's supposed to be 7 feet tall, blah, blah, blah..."
But yeah, that makes sense.

Jack reacher was the exact movie I was thinking of when I type that!
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 2:49 AM, ztejas said:

Just saw Bumblebee in theaters.

Here are my ratings:

Hailee Steinfeld - 10/10 - partly because she can act, mostly because I bought the ticket to look at her for 2 hours 

John Cena - 3/10 - mostly cannot act but had maybe 3 redeemable lines

Soundtrack - 7/10 - a lot of cult 80s hits and I'm a sucker for anything 80s

Optimus Prime robot fight cameos - 6/10 only because there weren't enough of them 

Rest of the movie - 2/10 - recycled, trite B action movie garbage

Overall 6/10. Worth the $5 ticket on discount Tuesday, wouldn't pay more than that. Your 13 year old kids will probably like it, though. 

Hailee gets a 6" thumbs up

I'd never seen The Outsiders.  I knew it had a bunch of actors in their first rolls.  I didn't know Coppola directed it.  

What a terrible effing movie.  Just terrible.  The music was horrible.  The acting was horrible.  The only good thing was Diane Lane, who somehow managed about 2 mins of screen time after the initial drive-in scene.  

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

LEGO movie part 2 was iight. The kids in the theatre loved it. The ending was great. Emmett still a funny dude. 

What Men want was Ok. Not a fan of the hustle and flow actress. She was great in the nasa movie tho 

The Prodigy was freaky as shit would def not watch again cuz that shit wild.

Edited by kingkoopa6

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:21 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'd never seen The Outsiders.  I knew it had a bunch of actors in their first rolls.  I didn't know Coppola directed it.  

What a terrible effing movie.  Just terrible.  The music was horrible.  The acting was horrible.  The only good thing was Diane Lane, who somehow managed about 2 mins of screen time after the initial drive-in scene.  

Man...I just don't know.

On 2/8/2019 at 7:22 PM, Buzzrock said:

Watching the LOTR movies with the kids. Total beating. Three hours each of constantly explaining things.

3 hours? Why are you robbing them of the extended editions?

I had a great experience Sunday with the Two Towers, though. Watched the first 30 minutes. Slept through the next 80 or so. Woke up just in time for Helms Deep and The March of The Ents.

3 hours? Why are you robbing them of the extended editions?
I had a great experience Sunday with the Two Towers, though. Watched the first 30 minutes. Slept through the next 80 or so. Woke up just in time for Helms Deep and The March of The Ents.

What quickly became clear was that the LOTR is the poster series for “read the books first”.

We joked about watching the extended editions.