The movie you just watched

F250

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Midway from 2019...Intense AF aerial / naval warfare scenes....The strategery part was harder to follow than it was in the 1970s one, because they spelled out everything as if to idiot children over the four hours or however long it was. No biggie. Hats off to those dive-bomber pilots and their titanium balls.

Really? The cgi made it unwatchable. Reminded me of shit from 1995 Playstation 2 games.

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Really? The cgi made it unwatchable. Reminded me of shit from 1995 Playstation 2 games.

They Pearl Harbor'd tf out of it, but it could have been much worse. Nowhere near as good as the '76 version just because of the cgi.

• Like 1

Just watched Cruela at the theater with my family. I think I’ve been to just about every kids movie released in the last 10 years- this was maybe the best one since the live action Aladdin. Really well done. And I thought 101 Dalmatians sucked so I surprised how much I liked this. 
super long movie though it felt like (over 2 hours had to be) for a kids movie. And then- my 6 year old had to go to the bathroom with 5 minutes left. Kids can be such a beating sometimes. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Just watched Cruela at the theater with my family. I think I’ve been to just about every kids movie released in the last 10 years- this was maybe the best one since the live action Aladdin. Really well done. And I thought 101 Dalmatians sucked so I surprised how much I liked this. 
super long movie though it felt like (over 2 hours had to be) for a kids movie. And then- my 6 year old had to go to the bathroom with 5 minutes left. Kids can be such a beating sometimes. 

Was it a kid story or a super-hero kind of flick?

12 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Wife and I and 10 and 8 year old loved it. The 6 year old struggled with it. 
It was PG 13 so not totally kid story. Reminded me of Devil wears Prada but if instead of the kid making peace with the old lady she decided to try to ruin her. 
set in the 60’s and 70’s and I liked the music and fashion. 
I read some reviews on this thing and apparently we were the only people in America to like this. Way lower rotten tomato score than I’d have thought. Was very pleasantly surprised. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

It's a war drama set within the confines of a Japanese concentration camp during WW2. Lots of laughs and lighthearted moments for the whole family to enjoy.

• Haha 4

Just watched Johnny Gaddaar, a 2007 neo-noir crime drama available on Amazon Prime. The film follows a gang of five criminals as they try to execute a drug deal, and what happens when one of them betrays the group and is forced to kill the other members of the gang one by one to hide his betrayal. Great movie with elements of Sin City and Reservoir Dogs.

81bOuHnIpEL._RI_.jpg

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 1

Wonder Wheel (2017)

I thought this was one of Woody Allen's better recent efforts, but it all may be due to Kate Winslet and the other actors.  Goddamn Woody can't help himself.  Troubled woman has to have a migraine, and has to whine like Woody.  This reminded me vaguely of Blue Jasmine, and you can imagine Woody Allen telling Kate to act more fucked up like Cate Blanchet in that movie. Solid effort, even Jim Belushi wasn't bad, but the good acting doesn't quite salvage it. 

Screen-Shot-2016-09-29-at-7.28.29-PM-640

Continuing with my war movie onslaught, The Outpost (2020). Extremely intense true story of an idiotically constructed fire base walled in by Taliban-infested steep mountains on all sides. One officer called it Camp Custer, because it seemed like it was built to ensure that nobody got out alive.

My dad's favorite war movie is 1959's Korea flick Pork Chop Hill. His review: "97 minutes, 90 of 'em fightin', and no women."

This is like that but in Afghanistan, and a chick does pop up at the end and its 26 minutes longer. 

Stars Clint Eastwood's kid, and a dude from Dallas named Caleb Landry Jones. Good actors...There's a smaller role for this dude who looks like Mel Gibson, which makes sense, 'cause it's his kid. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

A movie called “I See You” came up on prime under “movies you might like”. Helen Hunt was in it (she’s hideous by the way- I can’t believe she’s only 57 years old because she looks about 70 in this movie).

I guess you’d call it a crime drama or psychological thriller but it was actually surprisingly entertaining. Not a bad way to waste a Tuesday night when your wife is at book club or something.

Terminator: Dark Fate

It was cool seeing Linda Hamilton kicking ass as Sarah Connor again, and I thought some of the ideas it had in the first half of the movie were kind of interesting, but ultimately it ended up still being a dud for me. It was better than Terminator 3, Salvation, and Genisys (god, what a stupid fucking name), so I guess it had that going for it.

2 guns.  

If your looking for a solid Denzel quipy second career buddy action movie, this one is pretty good. Better than his Ryan Reynold film, not as good as the train movie. 

Marky Mark just plays himself, the chick is smoke and quite nekkid, Bill Paxton chews scenery. 

I know a guy....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I rewatched "I'm Thinking of Ending Things". Amusingly, the first time I watched it, I didn't realize it was a Kaufman movie until about an hour in. I'd heard chatter that he had a new movie coming out, but I didn't realize it was this one. 

Anyway, knowing more or less what to expect going in the second time really allows you to immerse yourself in it, and catch a lot of things you missed the first time around when you're trying to figure what the fuck is going on 

Spoiler

On the surface, it's a movie about a life of repetitive loneliness and regret of failures/things not accomplished over a lifetime, from an old janitor who may either be having a mental breakdown due to being unable to cope with the loneliness/regret, or may be going senile

Picture yourself as a bookish and socially awkward recluse whose life consists of getting mocked during the day and long nights by yourself cleaning a large empty quiet school, who has found that your life has passed you by and you've missed on every opportunity for success and companionship, and now you're stuck in repetitive isolation losing yourself in daydream fantasies to help pass the time about how things might have been had you taken the chances when younger to pursue success and companionship.

In this movie, he's having one last fantasy while leading up to his suicide. The fantasy includes a long road trip with an idealized girlfriend to his parents farm (which is a ridiculously atmospheric occurrence- cartoonish, surreal, Lynchean foreboding- then a trip to the high school where he works

There are a few things on a plot level that I'm unsure about, but mostly I struggle at a deeper level. The movie is deeply layered with allusions, symbolism, and commentary. It feels like reading Ulysses without doing your homework; homework here not limited to but including to the play Oklahoma, the movie A Woman Under the Influence, the book I'm Thinking of Ending Things, Kaufman's other movies Adaptation and Anomalisa (and even Synecdoche, which I haven't seen since I was in high school), and probably most importantly, Kaufman's companion novel to the movie, Antkind, which my favorite film critic described as such: "If it’s possible for a book to be exhausting, invigorating, and convulsively funny all at once, Kaufman’s debut fits—and, probably to its credit, exceeds—the bill."  

The movie in general is open to interpretation, which I think is how Kaufman prefers it, but that doesn't stop him from dropping endless social commentary, including interesting takes on fine arts criticism, interpretation of surreal art, and the expectations for women in dating

This movie is difficult to get a handle on, and Kaufman doesn't seem to care if it weeds out most viewers. However, on a strictly technical level, there are some masterful performances, including Jessie Buckley, the cinematography, and some great camera work and scene staging 

While I don't begrudge those who doing thing the movie is worth trying to understand or is overly artsy fartsy pretentiousness, I think it's a rewarding rewatch for those who aren't put-off by it 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Braveheart. The bagpipes still get me.

Rewatched this a couple days ago. I probably watch it once a year or so. I thought it was a little cheesier/sappier on this latest viewing (the romance between him and the queen is totally shoehorned and unnecessary) but it's still a great film. The fight choreography and direction is all-time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Had never seen it before, but caught Charlie's Angels (2000).

This is a who's who of the year 2000:

Bill Murray, Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore, Lucy Liu, Matt LeBlanc, Sam Rockwell, Tim Curry, Luke Wilson, Tom Green(!!!lol) and Crispin Glover(remember the early aught weird attempts to make him a thing with a rat movie?).

Very cheesy, very bad, very suggestive, and very much a movie people probably cringe at nowadays if you are of a certain persuasion.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

I've been rewatching a lot of stuff off of an old hard drive I have that has a bunch of classics and rewatchables on it. 

The Matrix is still on a very short list for me of the most brilliant films ever made. It's one of those films where you try and acknowledge something as a flaw or cheesy or overdone but then once you actually think about it in the context of the film it suddenly fits in perfectly and you wonder why you were ever trying to criticize anything in the first place, so you just sit back and enjoy how amazing the entire thing is. Just a masterpiece and a real turning point for film in general. It's like the Nirvana of movies but I like it better. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Riders of Justice- New Danish (subtitled) revenge flick that is surprisingly deep in terms of comedy and feels. I lol'd out loud about eight times. Stars the great Mads Mikkelsen. A little too long of a runtime at 2 hours, but solid multidimensional action flick. Renting on Prime and Apple for $7.   7/10

• Like 1

Bound- solid 90s crime thriller by the Wachowski's. Currently streaming on Prime. 7/10

Great movie.

One little tidbit that’s amusing is that since it was low, low budget they had to improvise the few special effects. When someone shoots at the Joe Pantoliano character and the bullet hits the picture on the wall next to his head, they used a sling shot firing a ball bearing to create the bullet hole in the picture. His reaction is real since that was the first time they attempted the shot with a human standing there and the shooter wasn’t terribly accurate in his practice attempts.

Goddamn I love this movie, and I love Roger Livesey and Deborah Kerr and Anton Walbrook. Stumbled upon it on Amazon P.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)

70a7056597183f38e437f9d1280ba9a7.jpg

Powell and Pressburger, sort of like John Ford and Jean Renoir, capture so much of the damn joy of living in their movies.  And no one is more old school British.  What I love about their movies is that they are so artful but they don't let the art get in the way of the story or the sheer likeability of the characters. 

0SayGsqfUcUbtljCT9LxZCSILCoH7d8cqVRxhix4

I noticed something really interesting that I wouldn't have noticed when I watched when I was younger. In one of the opening scenes, when Livesay is giving his "The war doesn't start until midnight!" speech, when he points out that the young soldier hasn't lived yet, the soldier tells him that he hopes that "forty years form now, in 1983..."  It hit like a ton of bricks, because now I'm the old guy, almost 40 years beyond being a young man which I was, in 1983.

This is a movie about manners and friendship, and it's pace is slow, but every damn minute is great from the opening credits and goofy motorcycle scene. 

And I'm only an hour in on this 2nd full viewing.

76f87600b54cb76d75073e34e7240e3cf3d804ca

From wiki:

Since the highly successful re-release of the film in the 1980s, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp has been re-evaluated.[21] The film is praised for its dazzling Technicolor cinematography (which, with later films such as The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus, would arguably become The Archers' greatest legacy), the performances by the lead actors as well as for transforming, in Roger Ebert's words, "a blustering, pigheaded caricature into one of the most loved of all movie characters".[22]David Mamet has written: "My idea of perfection is Roger Livesey (my favorite actor) in The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (my favorite film) about to fight Anton Walbrook (my other favorite actor)."[23]Stephen Fry saw the film as addressing "what it means to be English", and praised it for the bravery of taking a "longer view of history" in 1943.[24]Anthony Lane of the New Yorker said in 1995 that the film "may be the greatest English film ever made, not least because it looks so closely at the incurable condition of being English".[25]

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Devil made me do it, new conjuring movie is pretty good. Not scary really but it’s a solid story. Maybe my 2nd favorite conjuring universe movie now after the original.

Ya I enjoyed it. Really like most in that universe. Think the first two were better

Written and directed by Blake Edwards. Hadn't watched this in over 20 years. Forgot just how great it was. James Coburn, Aldo Ray, Dick Shawn, Carroll O'Connor and a stellar performance by Harry Morgan, plus a ton of other faces you will recognize. It's no Kelly's Heroes, but it ain't bad.

Edited by RPM

3 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Youngest and I watched Raya and the Last Dragon.  I enjoyed it a lot.

Great visuals. Loved Akwafina. Story was pretty cliche but the world was very cool and unique 

This is about Marcel Marceau. He led an incredible life during the war. It's a nice movie. Klaus Barbie has a big role in the movie as he was The Butcher of Lyon. What a sick fuck he was. I remember a bit when he died, I think in the early 90s, or late 80s.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

The trailer for the new Soderbergh move (which looks great) got me thinking about him so I watched Out of Sight last night. First time in probably 15 years. 

Great movie. Clooney is right in his wheelhouse and JLo is blazing hot. Not really profound but it bounces along and it's a fun watch like most of his movies. Great score too.

I forgot that Michael Keaton has a quick scene as the same FBI agent he plays in Jackie Brown, so it makes those movies part of an Elmore Leonard film universe I guess. 

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

I forgot that Michael Keaton has a quick scene as the same FBI agent he plays in Jackie Brown, so it makes those movies part of an Elmore Leonard film universe I guess. 

Seeing as it was based on Rum Punch... I guess you could say that.