Phatterson

Hanrahan

GP, 62,  earns $150,000 for 2022 as an analyst which Google indicates is simply a position HC take between jobs.  Why would he turn down a $2-4 million HC job? He's from Kansas, played and coached at KSU, then spent many years coaching in the west coast before landing at TCU.  

He's primed for programs in decline -- Nebraska, Auburn, Washington, anything.  What $ level will retain him at UT?  I'd love to keep him, but am pessimistic. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

If the defense really improves this year what are the chances that PK is offered a head coaching job somewhere. Even rice could offer him more than he’s making now.

Deleted because I totally misread this.

But I think there's something here.  PK gets hired for HC somewhere else and Patterson gets promoted to DC, which he's been more or less splitting w PK anyway, maybe?

Edited by TexArcher

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Oh, about 100%, but that doesn't mean he'd necessarily want it.  He already left a head coaching job to come here.

As for money, how much did he make before he got here?  Maybe $15-20 million over 20+ years in coaching?  If he's invested half of that with any savvy whatsoever, he's already a very rich man.  Maxing out salary now may just not be his #1 priority.  He could have health reasons that he doesn't talk about.  Maybe he really wants to be part of a NC staff.  Maybe he really does like Austin that much.  Etc.

All I'm saying is that there are plenty of reasons that this could be more than a one-year deal.

He might also be totally sick of talking to recruits and their parents…

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

If the defense really improves this year what are the chances that PK is offered a head coaching job somewhere. Even rice could offer him more than he’s making now. People on this board say he doesn’t like recruiting or isn’t good at it. What are the chances both leave? I don’t know either of their personalities at this point of their lives. That could be a weird scenario.

PK doesn’t want to be an HC apparently doesn’t like the politics, recruiting management requirements it’s why Jimmy Lake got promoted over PK at UW.

2 hours ago, pops said:

Nah. Csb. I have a mutual friend with Patterson. He has no desire to be a head coach again. Hates nil and transfer. Has all the money he needs and loves Austin. He may be DC next year if sark cuts ties with pk but loves what he's doing and loves sark and is content putting his thumbprint on what could be a great run /csb.  

STOP THIS RIGHT NOW!  MY PENIS CAN ONLY GET SO ERECT! no homo

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

GP, 62,  earns $150,000 for 2022 as an analyst which Google indicates is simply a position HC take between jobs.  Why would he turn down a $2-4 million HC job? He's from Kansas, played and coached at KSU, then spent many years coaching in the west coast before landing at TCU.  

He's primed for programs in decline -- Nebraska, Auburn, Washington, anything.  What $ level will retain him at UT?  I'd love to keep him, but am pessimistic. 

Worth a shot.

This...It almost has to be Patterson's influence.  No way PK turned it around this much on his own.  Patterson was roaming the sideline like a man on fire.  Looked like he was celebrating "his" plan working...

Every time the camera panned to him, he had a giant grin on his face. Guaranteed he’s having more fun than he’s had in years. All the glory, none of the blame, and no recruiting or other responsibilities. It’s the perfect semi retirement job for him.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Dude just loves breaking down game film and schemes. If you ever saw him on the coaches film room during the playoffs you could tell he knows his shit. I'm sure this is an easy money job that he really enjoys

He’s losing weight right? It means his stress level is way down.

liking the people you are working with, liking where you live, happy wife, still getting the part of football that you really like without all the bull shit you don’t…

It might be something that is working for him for now. Clearly working for us too…
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Im not saying that patterson is staying but there comes a point in your life that your quality of life and time mean more than money.   He has plenty of money but the schedule as a head coach does not give him time to enjoy any of it.  Hes position as an assistant allows him to do what he love yet have time to enjoy where he is at.   This maybe the best of both worlds for him.  Pure speculation but I could easily see this as being the case in this scenario. 

19 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Pay him 500K a year as an assistant if this keeps up. Money well spent. Texas needs to start embracing their position. They are the most recognizable and valuable college athletics department in the world and that’s with a decade of dog shit from Football. Just imagine a Bama like run here. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Patterson will be sought after by major programs and he will leave when they come calling. Enjoy it while it lasts. I think he’s had a big hand in this but PK also has a big hand in the turnaround. When GP leaves, bummer, but so be it.
This is correct, even Klatt and Gus were pumping him up during the game...no mention of PK's existence.

10 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

He’s losing weight right? It means his stress level is way down.

liking the people you are working with, liking where you live, happy wife, still getting the part of football that you really like without all the bull shit you don’t…

It might be something that is working for him for now. Clearly working for us too…

Or he's doing massive quantities of bam bam.

On 9/10/2022 at 7:05 PM, pops said:

Nah. Csb. I have a mutual friend with Patterson. He has no desire to be a head coach again. Hates nil and transfer. Has all the money he needs and loves Austin. He may be DC next year if sark cuts ties with pk but loves what he's doing and loves sark and is content putting his thumbprint on what could be a great run /csb.  

Love this if true!

16 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Pay him 500K a year as an assistant if this keeps up. Money well spent. Texas needs to start embracing their position. They are the most recognizable and valuable college athletics department in the world and that’s with a decade of dog shit from Football. Just imagine a Bama like run here. 

TCU is paying him millions for the next few years, if money is really what he is after, then Texas will not be keeping him. I did manage to see him have to grab his own towel on the sidelines Saturday. Also, he doesn't have a headset, so he's not communicating much to Kwiatkowski during the game.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m sure GP’s TCU contract salary is offset by what Texas pays him, so it makes no sense to spend a lot of money on him until the TCU gravy train has left the station. If he detests the HS recruiting aspects as much as claimed, he’d have those responsibilities as a DC. Make him the highest-paid analyst is the history of analysis and let him concentrate on what he loves.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm biased, but I can't imagine a better situation for GP than Texas right now. He's still getting checks from TCU. Sark is the OC and has to spend more time on that side of the ball. PK, by all accounts, doesn't have a big ego and is more than willing to collaborate on defense. GP gets to focus on just the aspects of the game he loves - defense and game planning. Anywhere else, there would probably be conflicts with the head coach and/or the DC. So far, it seems to be working really well here.

I know I just joined but love the Longhorns almost as much as the Frogs.

I live two houses down from Coach Patterson in Fort Worth. He loves it here and will retire here. He spends the majority of his time here and commutes to Austin. (aka he does not need the $ ... he made nearly $90mm during his time at TCU.) You can tell, however, he felt snubbed with the way things went down (I was on the phone call - speakertone). The in-person "we are moving on" was not handled well by our admin. He loves the Longhorns and, more importantly, is best friends with Del Conte. He has told me fireside several times he wants to be a head coach again and ... perhaps Texas is in his future.

To be successful, he needs to focus on defense and defense alone. Let the position coaches do their jobs. Do not pull a Les Miles and micro manage.

Hook Em.

• Hook 'Em 9

On 9/10/2022 at 9:06 PM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Because he doesn't need the money and right now he can focus on game planning defense without dealing with the press, boosters, recruiting, nil, managing team culture, and on and on.

It's ultimately up to him if he wants to hc again, but for a guy who is financially made, he's almost in retirement just taking on his favorite hobby.  You can tell the guy loves football and defense.  Right now he's paid to think about that all day without all the other bullshit.  We should all be so lucky when we're ready to wind down a bit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

So I heard some radio show saying GP to Huskers has been floated. I want him to stay here, but they are obviously OK with wasting millions of dollars like they did on Frosty. Hopefully Lincoln and a program that is essentially the TCU of the Big 10 (right now, and that's being generous... Could have said KU) isn't appealing. But obviously NU has a hell of a reputation historically, so maybe that's the draw...