Phatterson

Hanrahan

3 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

Dang it. And that was shared with me by a someone connected with the Texas program. That fucker.

Classic. If anything, this game has to mean even more to GP after what Dykes has done so far with a roster he built for the most part. Seems like Dykes had Gary’s number at SMU, but his familiarity with their scheme and players should still be helpful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

Classic. If anything, this game has to mean even more to GP after what Dykes has done so far with a roster he built for the most part. Seems like Dykes had Gary’s number at SMU, but his familiarity with their scheme and players should still be helpful.

Why would he start outcoaching Dykes now?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Former Texas tormentor Gary Patterson now helping Longhorns face his former team - undefeated TCU

By  FUCK CHIP BROWN   

AUSTIN, Texas — Longhorn Nation always thought Gary Patterson spent more time game-planning for Texas when he was the head coach at TCU, resulting in Patterson’s 7-3 record against the Longhorns once the Horned Frogs joined the Big 12.

So naturally, one of the first questions Steve Sarkisian got at his weekly press conference on Monday is if Patterson, now a special (non-coaching) assistant at Texas, is working overtime on a plan this week to help the Longhorns beat Patterson’s former team, which is coming to Austin undefeated (9-0, 6-0 Big 12) and ranked No. 4 under first year coach Sonny Dykes.

“Gary works 24-7 To beat anybody,” Sarkisian laughed. “He's got an unbelievable work ethic about him. He's got a great deal of discipline in his approach into what he does and how he does it.”

Patterson’s roles have included player evaluation in recruiting, self-scouting Texas’ film after games with his biggest role being to watch film of opponents to help provide information Texas’ coaches can use in formulating their game plans.

“This week hasn't been any different,” Sarkisian said of Saturday’s 6:30 pm CT showdown (on ABC) with the Horned Frogs. “He (Patterson) does a great job of advanced scouting for us, of getting ahead for opponents that are on the come. He does a great job of relaying his thoughts and information to the defensive staff.”

TCU’s record was 3-5 when Patterson was let go as head coach with four games left in the 2021 season. The Horned Frogs, who finished last year 5-7, hired Sonny Dykes to replace Patterson. Dykes served as an analyst under Patterson in 2017 before spending four years as the head coach at SMU.

Dykes has paid great tribute to the winning tradition and standard established at TCU by Patterson, who had a record of 181-79 (a winning percentage of .696) in 22 seasons in Fort Worth, including a 13-0 season, Rose Bowl victory and No. 2 final ranking in 2010.

In 2016, TCU erected a statue of Patterson outside the school's athletic complex.

Sarkisian doesn’t allow anyone on his football staff to talk to the media, so Patterson isn’t likely to be commenting publicly on his reunion with his former school.

But in an interview with Horns247 over the summer when he released a song titled, “The Day I Walk Away,” written, in part, as a fond farewell to TCU, Patterson said:

“I didn’t have a press conference (after being let go at TCU), because I knew I wanted to put my words in a song. You can’t really ever say all you want at a podium. A song is a lot easier to be able to tell people all that kind of stuff.

“And the verses are saying, ‘Hey, I know it didn’t work, but I’m good.’ The song doesn’t say ‘walked.’ It says, ‘The day I walk away,’ which means I’m not done, which is why I’m here in Austin.”

Texas players say Patterson has obviously been a resource as the Longhorns prepare to face a roster full of players Patterson recruited.

“He can’t coach us, but he gives good input to our other coaches and obviously knows their players’ tendencies, since he recruited them,” said Texas nickel cornerback Jahdae Barron. “I’m just gonna make sure I know what he knows about their players.”

Texas fifth-year senior defensive tackle Keondre Coburn, who caused the game-sealing fumble UT linebacker Jaylan Ford recovered in a 34-27 win at Kansas State Saturday, said:

“He (Patterson) recruited those guys, so he probably knows them best. All he can do is tell us about their players’ strengths and weaknesses, but we still gotta watch film on ‘em. The film don’t lie.”

Sarkisian called Patterson “a great sounding board for me.”

“Whether it's about the temperature of the team, or even his thoughts - when I’m game-planning for an opponent - ‘Would this be difficult to defend or not?’” Sarkisian said.

“So he's a great sounding board. We're really fortunate to have him. And the one thing I think Gary probably doesn't get enough credit for, at least in these parts of Texas, is the team guy that he is. He's got great rapport with our staff. He's got great rapport with our players. He's a really likable person. People like to be around him.

“And so beyond the football aspect of it, I think what he brings, the presence he brings, has been really beneficial to us.”

During games, Sarkisian said Patterson “is there to encourage and analyze.

“I’ll bounce a couple ideas off of him here and there. But, more importantly, he’s just kind of analyzing the flow of the game defensively.

“He can’t really coach, and that’s the hard part for a guy who’s coached his whole life. When you get in those analyst roles, you technically can’t coach, and that’s the difficult part. But I think he enjoys his role and loves being part of the organization.”

Texas running back Bijan Robinson said, “I’m excited that he (Patterson) is a part of this with us.”

“It’s gonna be good to talk to him about this team (TCU) this week,” Robinson said. “He recruited the guys, so just to pick up weaknesses and different things.”

When asked if he thinks this game will have more significance to Patterson, Robinson said, “This game is big for all of us.”

Though Gary Patterson’s role at Texas is unclear, his influence on the defense is obvious

Patterson isn’t a coordinator, but the Longhorn defense has improved in his first year as an analyst.

By Chuck Carlton     Nov 7, 2022

Gary Patterson is neither a player nor a head coach nor – officially – a coordinator at Texas.

He will still be getting a ton of attention this week, with good reason. Texas (6-3, 4-2 Big 12) will be hosting unbeaten TCU (9-0, 6-0) in a game with major conference and national implications. Yes, that’s the TCU where a life-sized statue of Patterson resides for his two decades at the school, including a 181-79 record as head coach.

Now Patterson, 62, is in his first season as an analyst at Texas with the title of special assistant to coach Steve Sarkisian.

Saturday at Royal-Memorial Stadium marks the first time that Patterson will face his old school since what was described as a mutual parting of ways in October 2021.

When Sarkisian was asked about Patterson to start his Monday press conference, he seemed almost bemused.

“Man, I was going to see who was going to ask the first question about Coach P,” Sarkisian said. “We’re lucky to have him on our team. I’ll say that he served 22 great years there at TCU. I think that program is in the place that it’s in because of the work that he did, and that should not go unnoticed.

“A lot of those kids on that roster he recruited and it’s a very talented roster, but we’re lucky to have him on our team.”

Sarkisian said Patterson is doing what he normally does during a game week to help with preparation.

Just what that is remains a little unclear. By NCAA rules, Patterson is limited on what he can do as an analyst. And Texas has been vague about what Patterson does.

Pressed on Patterson’s typical week, Sarkisian offered a glimpse behind the curtain Monday.

“He’s got an unbelievable work ethic about him, and he’s got a great deal of discipline in his approach and to what he does and how he does it,” Sarkisian said. “This week hasn’t been any different. He does a great job of advanced scouting for us. ... He does a great job of relaying his thoughts and information to the defensive staff.

“For me, he’s a great sounding board, whether it’s about the temperature on the team, kind of thoughts even about the defense.”

The whole thing is already a bit awkward balancing Patterson’s impact with defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski around for a second season.

That said, as a team, Texas is allowing 43.9 fewer yards per game and 9.3 fewer points per game, a significant decline.

Some have noticed Patterson’s touch.

“He is very involved,” Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said last month. “I’m not in their meetings. But it looks that way to me.”

Outside of a few interviews this spring after his January hiring, Patterson has kept a low profile – although occasional pictures of him in burnt orange are jarring.

“One thing about being a head coach, when you’re not a head coach, you know how to be a great assistant. So, I know how to be a soldier,” Patterson said during a May appearance on the Matt Mosley Show on ESPN Central Texas.

“I’ve just kind of been feeling my way into things I can help with. Whatever Sark wants me to do, I’ve been trying to do and it’s been fun.”

Under normal circumstances, Patterson’s presence might be a rallying cry at TCU. It still may be.

For now, the Horned Frogs have far bigger things to worry about, including a possible jump to the top four in the College Football Playoff rankings coming Tuesday.

To be fair, Patterson’s departure was more about him wearing out his welcome with the administration, with donors and the fan base.

“People are going to talk about it,” TCU quarterback Max Duggan said Saturday about Patterson as an issue, “but not really. I think they’re going to have their guys ready to go. We’re going to have our guys ready to go. Players got to play on the field and that’s what it’s going to come down to.”

The Patterson influence: A statistical look at the improvement in the Texas defense from 2021:

Screenshot_20221108-112703_kindlephoto-5299136.png.a31d42c64d4c21588c7e865caf1bfa37.png

I shared a private booth at a D-2 game on Saturday with a guy who played DB for TCU 5-25 years ago. (And no, D-2 private booths aren’t the envy of the richer FCS schools). Of course, we had to talk about old Gary. Here are a few of his thoughts:

1) The guys who played for Gary would run through brick walls for the guy, but most of them recognized that he had lost his HC touch at TCU. (This guy was a GA for another successful FBS coach, but he said the level of dedication to that coach just wasn’t there compared to GP). He said GP should stick to DC, but the Auburn job would convince him otherwise. AU was the only school he mentioned, and he did so multiple times.

2) He only went through 2 towels per game. One each half.

3) GP is extremely superstitious. He tugs on his shoelaces (or completely reties one… pointing at his right foot) before crucial 3rd downs. He hikes up his pants and leans forward every time he calls a blitz.

4) The only time he has lived in Texas were his TCU days, yet he called aggy a cult.

5) He thought Charlie Strong was about to do something special at Texas, but we fired him too soon. I laughed in his face.

6) He came “this close” to saying Texas has 5 star players, but 1 star culture. One of his best friends is a UT grad, so they go to the Texas vs TCU games together (family reasons had him at a D-2 game this year).

7) We both thought the first pic of GP wearing Texas gear was photoshopped  

9) He takes his guitar to recruits’ homes for official in-home visits. The moms dig it.

One of these may not be true. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Wtf did the 😎 emoji come from? I had to skip 8) to get rid of it. I don’t use emojis because I’m a man. Except this one 😑.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I shared a private booth at a D-2 game on Saturday with a guy who played DB for TCU 5-25 years ago. (And no, D-2 private booths aren’t the envy of the richer FCS schools). Of course, we had to talk about old Gary. Here are a few of his thoughts:

1) The guys who played for Gary would run through brick walls for the guy, but most of them recognized that he had lost his HC touch at TCU. (This guy was a GA for another very successful FCS coach, but he said the level of dedication to that coach just wasn’t there compared to GP). He should should stick to being a DC, but a job like Auburn would convince him to give it another go. AU was the only school he mentioned, and he did so multiple times.

2) He only went through 2 towels per game. One each half.

3) GP is extremely superstitious. He tugs on his shoelaces (or completely reties one… pointing at his right foot) before crucial 3rd downs. He hikes up his pants and leans forward every time he calls a blitz.

4) The only time he has lived in Texas were his TCU days, yet he called aggy a cult.

5) He thought Charlie Strong was about to do something special at Texas, but we fired him too soon. I laughed in his face.

6) He came “this close” to saying Texas has 5 star players, but 1 star culture. One of his best friends is a UT grad, so they go to the Texas vs TCU games together (family reasons had him at a D-2 game this year).

7) He takes his guitar to recruits’ homes for official in-home visits. The moms dig it.

One of these may not be true. 

Cool story, bro.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

DC at Bama after Saban pushes Golding to find a new job 

I still don't understand the mentality that he's only a DC.  He's a multiple national COY winner, multiple top-10 finishes, major bowls, big ego.  The UT analyst role was a big one-off.  I have a hard time believing he'll be anything but a HFBC when this year's carousel ends.  

26 minutes ago, nnm said:

I still don't understand the mentality that he's only a DC.  He's a multiple national COY winner, multiple top-10 finishes, major bowls, big ego.  The UT analyst role was a big one-off.  I have a hard time believing he'll be anything but a HFBC when this year's carousel ends.  

The thinking among a lot of folks is that Gary doesn't want the stress and responsibility of running an entire program anymore, and it would have to be an ideal situation -- nothing remotely approaching a rebuild -- for him to be a head coach again.  Who knows how much truth there is to that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 9:30 AM, LTtxfan said:

Worth a cross-post.  Thx to @Hookem2147

Hookem2147:  Gary Patterson's convo with FCB about attending National Championship tonight and if he will return to Texas next year

“It’s a veteran team,” Patterson told Horns247 on Sunday. “The average age of TCU’s starters is closer to 23, whereas our starters’ average age at Texas this past season was closer to 19. That makes a big difference.”

Patterson, who had a statue dedicated to him on the TCU campus in 2016, was fired during the 2021 season, finishing his time in Fort Worth with a 181-79 record (a .696 winning percentage).

“Some people think I went to work at Texas out of spite for TCU,” Patterson said. “But that wasn’t it. I just needed to get away.”

Patterson compared it to someone who gets divorced and needs to move out from the same house as their ex.

“If I went to work in the (TCU) chancellor’s office right after being let go, I think that would’ve been awkward,” Patterson said.

When I asked Patterson if he’ll remain as a special assistant to Sarkisian at Texas, he said, “I might. I really like Steve (Sarkisian), and I was a sponge. I think I learned more than I gave out.”

Patterson said he’ll take his time before deciding any next steps.

“After getting let go at TCU, I started working at Texas in January,” Patterson said. “So, Kelsey and I didn’t really take any time for ourselves. We’re doing that right now, even taking this trip to California. I’ve never had a bowl experience as a spectator. This is new.”

Patterson said it’s “bittersweet” to see TCU having a chance to win the national title one year after being let go as the Horned Frogs’ coach. But he said he and his wife, Kelsey, a Texas graduate, didn’t hesitate about making plans to attend the championship game against Georgia at Sofi Stadium Monday night at 6:30 pm CT

“Kelsey and I didn’t want to be a distraction,” Patterson said. “But a lot of these players were a big part of our lives, so it was the right thing to do for us to come out here and support them. They’ve put in a lot of work, and I’m happy for them.” 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

“It’s a veteran team,” Patterson told Horns247 on Sunday. “The average age of TCU’s starters is closer to 23, whereas our starters’ average age at Texas this past season was closer to 19. That makes a big difference.”

What does that have to do with star ratings, which is the only thing that matters unless your coach is awful? No wonder he got fired. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 11:58 AM, LTtxfan said:

“The average age of TCU’s starters is closer to 23, whereas our starters’ average age at Texas this past season was closer to 19.

Everyone slobbing Dykes' knob for his first year performance should take note.

Also, those screaming and bitching about our alleged talent advantage.  Where are the upperclassmen?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Everyone slobbing Dykes' knob for his first year performance should take note.

Also, those screaming and bitching about our alleged talent advantage.  Where are the upperclassmen?

They were on the rosters of other teams. We chose not to pursue and sign  them out of the portal.

If we win the Big 12 this year, Sark's methodology will be fully vindicated. I think Sark is proven right if we just make the Big 12 title game. 

If we don't make the Big 12 title game.....

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, JFKFC said:

They were on the rosters of other teams. We chose not to pursue and sign  them out of the portal.

If we win the Big 12 this year, Sark's methodology will be fully vindicated. I think Sark is proven right if we just make the Big 12 title game. 

If we don't make the Big 12 title game.....

Do you lie in wait until someone brings up an opportunity, even the slightest of openings, to reiterate your feelings on the 2022 portal strategy for the umpteenth time? Why am I asking rhetorical questions?

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Do you lie in wait until someone brings up an opportunity, even the slightest of openings, to reiterate your feelings on the 2022 portal strategy for the umpteenth time? Why am I asking rhetorical questions?

To be fair, I did kind of the same thing.  However, this was the first time I had seen anything quantifiable about the relative youth of our team.  We all knew we were "young," but that's fairly shocking.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Exactly. It's mind boggling why we didn't sign a guy like Jared Wiley to play over Ja'Tavion Sanders or Johnny Hodges to play over Jaylan Ford.

That is an especially good point because those were the only 2 players in the transfer portal.

• Like 1

Thx for this @Hookem2147

Inside Texas:  Transitioning to the defensive side of the ball, we do not expect Gary Patterson to remain in his formal role. He’s likely already left that position. We do believe he’s open to consulting with Texas, but he’d also like to consult with other programs. Sources have been appreciative of Patterson’s influence on the program but have also been careful not to give him too much credit. The feeling is they’d be fine either way but it was a good experience having him around.

On 2/25/2023 at 5:43 PM, LTtxfan said:

Thx for this @Hookem2147

Inside Texas:  Transitioning to the defensive side of the ball, we do not expect Gary Patterson to remain in his formal role. He’s likely already left that position. We do believe he’s open to consulting with Texas, but he’d also like to consult with other programs. Sources have been appreciative of Patterson’s influence on the program but have also been careful not to give him too much credit. The feeling is they’d be fine either way but it was a good experience having him around.

So….maybe hitting the transfer portal?