Phatterson

Hanrahan

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

His petty bitterness toward TCU must be off the fuckin charts.

Probably mainly toward the AD.  He was disrespected by being fired in the middle of the season by that snot nosed lawyer.   So he gravitated toward respect, which for him is CDC.  The fact that he stayed means he was shown respect by the staff.  He’s a thin skinned dude.  

11 hours ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Honestly a fresh start after a few years of rest could prime GP for a big run at a school like Texas .

Have to imagine CDC has this as his worst of backup plans if Sark fails.

honestly a low key power move from CDC and I'm mildy impressed to have a competent forward thinking AD in place. 

If GP took over for Sark, it’s because the regents/president/chancellor decided. Not CDC

• Like 1

Texas football: Ex-TCU coach Gary Patterson working for Longhorns

ByBRAD CRAWFORD 110 minutes ago

Ex-TCU football coach Gary Patterson is working at Texas as a special assistant to head coach Steve Sarkisian according to Horns247. Patterson was spotted at Tuesday night's Texas-Kansas State basketball game with Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte and sources have confirmed to Horns247's Chip Brown the respected coach is beginning his job with the Longhorns.

Patterson went 181-79 as the head coach for the Horned Frogs from 2001 to 2021.

Earlier this month, a new posting for "Special Assistant to the Head Coach" surfaced on the University of Texas website, leading to speculation that role would be filled by Patterson. Within the job description on the Texas website was a lengthy number of prerequisites indicating that the ideal candidate will be one with an extensive track record of coaching success at a high level of football. "Experience as an Offensive or Defensive Coordinator in a Division I Collegiate or NFL football program" was additionally listed as a preferred qualification for the position on the Longhorns staff.

Patterson, 61, parted ways Oct. 31 with TCU — midway through his 21st season as the Horned Frogs' head coach. A defensive-minded coach, he went 181-78 overall and 113-59 against conference play from 2001-21, making him the winningest head coach in program history. TCU won the Rose Bowl under Patterson at the end of the 2010 season and flirted with a College Football Playoff bid in 2014.

Horns247 previously reported Dec. 13 that Sarkisian and the staff were considering possibly adding Patterson in a defensive role. Following Horns247's report, Sarkisian did not deny interest in Patterson.

"I've got, obviously, a great deal of respect for Gary," Sarkisian said Dec. 15. "He's done a fantastic job. Really built that program into what it is and to make it one of the more desirable jobs in the country, I give him a lot of credit for that. I know that he's trying to figure out in what capacity does he want to continue this profession. We have not made any determination on if we would want him here or if he would want to be here, but the reality of it is there's definitely a level of respect for the job that he's done at TCU."

Following Patterson's exit, longtime friend Jerry Kill and TCU athletic director Jeremiah Donati believed the respected coach was not done in his profession.

"He certainly could," Donati said Nov. 2. "You all know Gary. He's a young 61. I wouldn't put anything past coach Patterson to coach again. College, pro — I know he has a lot of other interests. I hope he takes some time to think about what he wants to do, because he has a lot to offer the game of football. And I don’t think that’s over necessarily."

Edited by LTtxfan

He’s 21-22 in his last four seasons, quitting at 3-5 in his final season. The idea of a Gary Patterson head-coaching hire several years ago might have made me mildly enthusiastic. Now? Not so much.

Perhaps. But he now he can do what he likes best — just coach/scheme defense and not worry about the rest of the shit that goes with being HC.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Perhaps. But he now he can do what he likes best — just coach/scheme defense and not worry about the rest of the shit that goes with being HC.

Sure.  But I was responding to the "Head Coach in Waiting" comment.  I'm more excited about having someone like Gary Patterson helping out our defense than I am ultimately stepping in for Steve Sarkisian as head coach.

• Hook 'Em 4

these are strange times indeed. all that shit talking about Texas only to join the coaching staff. as big of a WTF it is for us, think of what the current and former tcu players are thinking.

i think this is a good hire. we talk about positions of need. defensive coaching is the top of the list. if nothing else, he could scout Sark's offense for tendencies. we didn't exactly light up the offensive stats later in the season. a lot of it was shitty QB and Oline play but i have to think DC's started to figure out Sark's O.

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

So now that he works for UT, I’ll say that I never really thought he was that fat. More stocky. His fashion choices didn’t do him any favors with his hyperhidrosis.

So, Coach, welcome. We’ll put you in a white longhorn windbreaker and an AC booth.  

48 minutes ago, South Austin said:

He also doesn't sweat that much.

i'll add that he has a beautiful singing voice.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, IBuryPaul said:

No one is mildly mocked around here.

It was mild. “No way he takes a job here.”  I didn’t think he would either. I heard from a BMD it was largely a done deal over a month ago. 

4 hours ago, MontereyMXmuthafucka said:

why do old people try to talk young?

Same reason young people think they are smarter than old people.  Complete lack of self awareness and a desperate need to feel good about themselves.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Phatterson