Lil’Jordan Humphrey

TheFlagship

Johnny 8 ball and Jesus Tebow did not “slide down the draft board.” That would be Aaron Rodgers. 

Those two are perfect examples of a first round pick based largely on hype. So it can matter.

As for LJH, it’s a tough call to make. He’s probably a 4th round pick right now. Can he improve that? I think so. Plus WR has less injury concerns than other positions but its still there. 

As a fan I want him to stay. If I was his dad or mentor, I’d tell him it’s your call because there’s positives and negatives either way. 

5 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

The only thing I can think of that might improve his draft position is coming back and catching everything. This year, he did have a few drops that should have been catches. Of course, he also made some catches that should have been incompletes.

He can improve his draft position at WR because this year's draft class is loaded at WR. I'm not even sure LJH is a top 10 WR in this draft class. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I disagree. This year's class is not top heavy at all but it's very deep. Next year's has multiple first-round talents.

The CBS mock draft I was looking at this morning has 6 WRs going in the first round. There are going to be a lot of WRs drafted in this class in the first and second rounds. 

I definitely think LJH has a better chance of working his way into the top 2 rounds next year given similar production from this year. I'm not sure that justifies coming back from a $ standpoint though. 

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I disagree. This year's class is not top heavy at all but it's very deep. Next year's has multiple first-round talents.

True but depth matters a lot when you're looking at 4th round this year vs 3rd or maybe 2nd round next year even with no improvement in play.  The number of 1st rounders is less important when you're not in direct competition with them.

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That's a silly assertion.  Can he get faster?  Doubtful, but doesn't mean he can't improve on his skill set like getting free releases, getting off press, understanding coverages, etc with more experience and doing it on TV vs better opponents can only help his cause.  Now the incremental value is what he'll need to weigh.  What if Sam gets hurt and he's a blocker (the way Roy was his last year) all the time.  He can definitely help his cause by staying.... can hurt it too.  What's the risk.  What's the reward.  Sliding scale, what does that look like.... But there is a case the SEC/BIG draft success is in a big way coming from exposure and assumptions.

None of that stuff matters because if he managed to get faster (which is highly debatable how much he could even gain at this point) he'll show it in the combine testing. Any gains in measurables will show in the combine and subsequent pro days. It wouldn't be because of greater media exposure which was a silly assertion to begin with. 

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Johnny 8 ball and Jesus Tebow did not “slide down the draft board.” That would be Aaron Rodgers. 

Those two are perfect examples of a first round pick based largely on hype. So it can matter.

As for LJH, it’s a tough call to make. He’s probably a 4th round pick right now. Can he improve that? I think so. Plus WR has less injury concerns than other positions but its still there. 

As a fan I want him to stay. If I was his dad or mentor, I’d tell him it’s your call because there’s positives and negatives either way. 

Both were quarterbacks and their high first-round reaches were more a result of scarcity and sheer desperation at the quarterback position in the NFL then actual hype. This is proven as quarterbacks without much media hype at all often get drafted way higher than they should for the same reasons.

10 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

So now you are telling me there has never a junior or redshirt sophomore  that has come back for a extra year and improved their draft stock?  You are saying not one?    No one can improve their grade after they get a valuation according to you...  Ok.   Pretty sure I could find more then  plenty of examples but not looking it up right now

Are you fucking dense? I never said anything about any of that. All I said is it's never happened solely because of media hype as you said. Stop tilting at windmills and creating strawmen based on shit that I never even fucking said. Learn how to properly debate

5 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel say hi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

again that's the quarterback position where reaches happened regardless of media hype. People like Blake bortles, Jake locker, Christian ponder, and many many others where way over drafted with none of the hype of manziel or tebow. That just happens for quarterbacks because teams are so desperate

• Like 1

It's precisely b/c they won the heisman that I use them as examples. Everyone who could keep their head above the fray knew that despite their tremendous college success, neither of these guys were NFL QB's.  Yet, they both went 1st round.  Any intelligent person should've known that was a wasted 1st round pick.  But NFL GM's get caught up in the hype and crowd think just like everyone else.  This is why a great DT like Poona goes undrafted and an obviously terrible NFL QB with a Heisman goes 1st round.   I guess I just don't give NFL scout "experts" as much credit as you do.  I depose experts of a different kind for a living and I find that most of them are full of shit.  I don't trust scouts to realize what a great find LJH is, yet, and neither should LJH.  Of course, I'm an incredibly biased person to be advising LJH, but hopefully someone else is telling him the same thing.  I think staying and leaving is the difference b/t being a day 1 pick and day 2.  

The Cleveland Browns don't count... Manziel's issue wasn't football ability. It was drugs and alcohol. CLE ownership had already shown they didn't care about character issues (or winning).

Denver and Josh McDaniels knew they were taking a big risk, hoping for big reward. McDaniels got fired before Tebow became the starter.

Those two examples aren't about hype. Both of those guys produced in college and both slid to late in the first round. Both should have been 2nd or 3rd round guys and both got picked up by teams desperate for a QB to save their franchise. Both of them are still unsure of they have their guy, today. (but CLE is a completely different organization and they are better off with Baker...)

Bad teams will reach for a QB... Not so much for a WR, unless said WR has mind blowing #s and wins a Belitnikoff... This system is not a Belitnikoff producer, but it will produce solid pros.
  • Like 1

He may not be able to actually "get faster", but his 40 yard dash and shuttle times absolutely can improve markedly over a year with training. Plus, the whole idea that LJ is maxed out is asinine. Look at LJ next to CJ. CJ looks maxed out, LJ isn't ripped like he'll be after another year focusing with Yancy.

NFL teams have scouting departments, but the NFL is light years behind college offenses in how to deploy unusual players. It's not a good idea to rely on the NFL to notice how an unusual multi-tool player like LJ can be deployed. Some teams will see it, some won't. That's the way the league works and it will cause his draft stock to be lower than if everyone saw it. 

Most WR in his spot should probably go pro, but LJ has a unique skill set that distinguishes him from all other WR candidates. He'll get ample chance to demonstrate that if he comes back and it will cause his draft stock to be much higher next year. LJ is going to be a monster next year in a monster offense with coaches that know his strengths and how to deploy him. The media puff pieces, especially on his versatility are going to help his exposure to those same uncreative NFL teams immeasurably. 

He may not be able to actually "get faster", but his 40 yard dash and shuttle times absolutely can improve markedly over a year with training. Plus, the whole idea that LJ is maxed out is asinine. Look at LJ next to CJ. CJ looks maxed out, LJ isn't ripped like he'll be after another year focusing with Yancy.
NFL teams have scouting departments, but the NFL is light years behind college offenses in how to deploy unusual players. It's not a good idea to rely on the NFL to notice how an unusual multi-tool player like LJ can be deployed. Some teams will see it, some won't. That's the way the league works and it will cause his draft stock to be lower than if everyone saw it. 
Most WR in his spot should probably go pro, but LJ has a unique skill set that distinguishes him from all other WR candidates. He'll get ample chance to demonstrate that if he comes back and it will cause his draft stock to be much higher next year. LJ is going to be a monster next year in a monster offense with coaches that know his strengths and how to deploy him. The media puff pieces, especially on his versatility are going to help his exposure to those same uncreative NFL teams immeasurably. 
His 40 and shuttle will improve most from the end of the season to the combine, whichever year. Players don't work on their 40 and shuttle during the season, unless on their own time. Those measurements are not really football. They're a measure of potential. Unimportant during actual football.

11 minutes ago, suddenly shaggy said:

See Wes Welker.  Tore up every D-I opponent.  UDFA only given a chance by 1 team.  Or Poona.  If you don't fit the mold, by and large the NFL will completely discount performance on the field.

"The Mold" is also why the entire NFL chorus sees 6'5" 225 and insists LJ is an outside receiver.  They ignore his change of direction, ability to read zones and toughness in traffic.  They see big, tall guy and demand he play X or Z.  Must be small and quick to play Y.  Dumbasses who can't see beyond the pigeonholes they force players into.

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Snacks said:
4 minutes ago, suddenly shaggy said:

Read more  

His 40 and shuttle will improve most from the end of the season to the combine, whichever year. Players don't work on their 40 and shuttle during the season, unless on their own time. Those measurements are not really football. They're a measure of potential. Unimportant during actual football.

Obviously I meant on his own time. If you are under the mistaken impression anyone thinks Herman is having them run 40 yard dash drills, you can dissuade yourself from it. 

Having said that, a year is a long time and it's worth a lot of money to him. He can keep working on his 40 on his own time with access to world class facilities and advice and substantially improve on it. 

43 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

See Wes Welker.  Tore up every D-I opponent.  UDFA only given a chance by 1 team.  Or Poona.  If you don't fit the mold, by and large the NFL will completely discount performance on the field.

"The Mold" is also why the entire NFL chorus sees 6'5" 225 and insists LJ is an outside receiver.  They ignore his change of direction, ability to read zones and toughness in traffic.  They see big, tall guy and demand he play X or Z.  Must be small and quick to play Y.  Dumbasses who can't see beyond the pigeonholes they force players into.

Yep.  Especially at slot where there's all kinds of different molds.  Like 5 of the top 10 slots in the NFL right now were undrafted.

i don't think it's an issue of injury, as much as him ready to be in the nfl/get paid (if he was to leave).  at least that's the type of thing i feel like i've heard.  it'll be based on draft grade i would imagine.
LJH is from Southlake, very likely one year of NFL paycheck loss (or even none) doesn't affect his family. Don't know anything for sure, just sayin.

1 hour ago, ousux said:
On 1/2/2019 at 2:05 PM, henrygandorf said:
i don't think it's an issue of injury, as much as him ready to be in the nfl/get paid (if he was to leave).  at least that's the type of thing i feel like i've heard.  it'll be based on draft grade i would imagine.

LJH is from Southlake, very likely one year of NFL paycheck loss (or even none) doesn't affect his family. Don't know anything for sure, just sayin.

guess you haven't heard of the Southlake football recruiting program. LJH doesn't come from money. 

Edited by Junior Miller

5 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

I'd like to see him come back and work on his plays of 50+ yds/TD. Need to see him in the 9-11 plays range for me to take him seriously as a pro prospect.

The whole offense needs to work on 50+ yard plays. They didn’t have a single one last season. Mind bottling. 

30 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

guess you haven't heard of the Southlake football recruiting program. LJH doesn't come from money. 

Even if your parents have upper middle class money, you want your own money. And most people in south lake don't make NFL money.

6 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

VY’s only regret about leaving early is it cost him a chance to play for an NFL coach who didn’t suck.

He should've been drafted to the Texans. They needed a mobile QB to hide their shitty offensive line. They went with David Carr and Mario Williams instead. Dumbasses.

• Like 1

Long plays usually require one of two things: 1) force the D to play a bunch of guys up close to stop the run.  Then one broken tackle and the RB/WR is gone.  or 2) have a QB who can hit a guy in stride 30-35 yds downfield.  What where the 2 biggest deficiencies on offense this year?  Accuracy on really deep balls and running game when protecting Sam by reducing his carries.  It doesn't help that most of the WRs and backs were not speed burners (only Duvernay really).