Lil’Jordan Humphrey

TheFlagship

11 hours ago, satyanash said:

It really looked like he put no effort towards preparing for the combine. Either that or S&C is a bit lacking. Gary Johnson also didn't have the best day, 16 reps is poor for a LB and his size (5' 11", 226 lbs) is in tweener territory.

I'd say seeing how much the team has improved on the field would point to our S&C being just fine in a functional football sense. Might not lead to phenomenal bench numbers, clearly.

Been reading/hearing a lot of shit from scouts today who were basically saying they didn’t expect him to break 4.7 looking at his tape, and his performance at the combine doesn’t change how they feel about him (because that’s the player they saw on tape). Take that for what it’s worth. Maybe he was a 6th or 7th rounder all along. But a lot of people weren’t surprised in the least bit by his 40 time. Dane Brugler said it best:

“Watch the tape, he’s not a sub 4.7 guy. But I don’t know that I ever saw him drop a pass at Texas, and he plays physical. Slimming down was a mistake. He should’ve stuck with his playing weight, or maybe he should’ve thought about bulking up and embracing who he is.”

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

Yea, bomb it so you can pick your team instead of being drafted.

Not sure who helped LJH prepare for the Combine, but if he goes undrafted he needs better counsel on who to sign with as a free agent.  Hope LJH can go to a team with a decent QB.

1) What teams have a better history of developing free agent WRs??

2) What teams/organizations do Surly folks think are best choices for LJH to try and sign with??

Edited by LTtxfan

Not sure who helped LJH prepare for the Combine, but if he goes undrafted he needs better counsel on who to sign with as a free agent.  Hope LJH can go to a team with a decent QB.
1) What teams have a better history of developing free agent WRs??
2) What teams/organizations do Surly folks think are best choices for LJH to try and sign with??
Obviously not the cowboys but I hope the cowboys.

Heath Gallagher: Reaction to Lil'Jordan Humphrey's disappointing NFL Combine

Former Texas Longhorns star Lil'Jordan Humphrey saw his stock drop Saturday at the NFL Combine after he posted unofficial 4.79 and 4.75 40-yard-dashes, the worst of any wide receiver who ran in Indianapolis. Humphrey, who received feedback from the NFL to return to Texas in 2019 but decided to forego his senior season after an incredible 86-catch campaign, was also one of the thinnest wide receivers in Indianapolis at 6-foot-3 and 5/8, 210 pounds. Humprhey put up 13 reps on the bench, had a vertical of 33.5 inches, a broad jump of 119 inches, a three-cone drill of 7.09 and a 20-yard shuttle of 4.29.

Humphrey also had his hands measured at 9 1/2 inches with 32 3/4-inch arms contributing to a wingspan of 78 3/4 inches. Compared to other wide receivers at the Combine, Humphrey’s hand and wingspan measurements were in the ballpark with draft hopefuls who are similar from a physical standpoint. Humphrey will have a chance to improve his fortunes at Texas' Pro Day this spring, but some on Twitter were already criticizing his showing in Indianapolis and, more broadly, his decision to not return to school. A retort for Longhorns fans would be easy: Just turn on the tape. Humphrey's 2018 tour de force was one of the best single seasons in Longhorns history.

Just now, Sock Drawer said:

Maybe he'll become the poster boy for "Damn, I shoulda' listened to the coaches and stayed for my senior year."

As has been said above, he didn't have a ton of unexplored potential. He's just a really good football player with some athletic limitations (and who might have made a few tactical mistakes in his Combine prep).

• Like 2

I'm trying to separate my selfishness in being disappointed he isn't going to be helping Texas next year with the guy's drive to make a financial future for himself.  That being said, who the hell advised him to go pro?  His combine results can't possibly be some unexpected surprise.  Speed, for the most part, isn't going to show up out of nowhere.  

11 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm trying to separate my selfishness in being disappointed he isn't going to be helping Texas next year with the guy's drive to make a financial future for himself.  That being said, who the hell advised him to go pro?  His combine results can't possibly be some unexpected surprise.  Speed, for the most part, isn't going to show up out of nowhere.  

Right, so how would coming back another year help him?

He put about as much production on tape as he could possibly expect. Coming back and repeating that’s next year would lead to marginal improvement in his draft position, not to mention the downside if he gets hurt or doesn’t match that high level of production.

outside of us as fans wanting him to come back, how does coming back actually help him. If he’s gonna be drafted low this year or next year due to measurables, then there’s really no clear reason for him to come back.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

It seems he is the one who advised himself to go pro. 

Why you go pro at the same time as all of the other badass receivers in this class was a head scratcher from the beginning

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

Why you go pro at the same time as all of the other badass receivers in this class was a head scratcher from the beginning

There’s badass receivers every fucking year. Trying to project the quality of WR classes between this year and next year right now is an exercise in futility.

• Like 1

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

There’s badass receivers every fucking year. Trying to project the quality of WR classes between this year and next year right now is an exercise in futility.

7 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Next year is going to have a lot of badass receivers too.

Shenault

Jeudy

Lamb

Reagor

Collin Johnson

Tylan Wallace

Ruggs

Higgins

16 hours ago, 6th Street said:

210 lbs, 13 reps, 7.09 3 cone, and 4.79 40?

yeah he's 7th round at best after that

Yes this is pretty bad. I've seen high school WRs with better measurements than those. This will hurt him. Although measurables are not everything. There are such thing as combine warriors who put up good combine stats but never do shit. 

• Like 1

One thing for sure about LJH, he's gonna need either the right offensive scheme to get him open in space or an accurate QB.

A few possible teams...

Saints ??  Rams??  Chiefs??  Eagles??  Browns?? Patriots??

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Heath Gallagher: Reaction to Lil'Jordan Humphrey's disappointing NFL Combine

Reveal hidden contents

Former Texas Longhorns star Lil'Jordan Humphrey saw his stock drop Saturday at the NFL Combine after he posted unofficial 4.79 and 4.75 40-yard-dashes, the worst of any wide receiver who ran in Indianapolis. Humphrey, who received feedback from the NFL to return to Texas in 2019 but decided to forego his senior season after an incredible 86-catch campaign, was also one of the thinnest wide receivers in Indianapolis at 6-foot-3 and 5/8, 210 pounds. Humprhey put up 13 reps on the bench, had a vertical of 33.5 inches, a broad jump of 119 inches, a three-cone drill of 7.09 and a 20-yard shuttle of 4.29.

Humphrey also had his hands measured at 9 1/2 inches with 32 3/4-inch arms contributing to a wingspan of 78 3/4 inches. Compared to other wide receivers at the Combine, Humphrey’s hand and wingspan measurements were in the ballpark with draft hopefuls who are similar from a physical standpoint. Humphrey will have a chance to improve his fortunes at Texas' Pro Day this spring, but some on Twitter were already criticizing his showing in Indianapolis and, more broadly, his decision to not return to school. A retort for Longhorns fans would be easy: Just turn on the tape. Humphrey's 2018 tour de force was one of the best single seasons in Longhorns history.

Hope LJH has a good support group to help him mentally and emotionally after such poor combine results.  Keep Working LJH....

Horns fans cheering for yah!! 🤘

41 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

He’ll end up in New England and ball out of control.  Meanwhile, Tom and Bill will continue to laugh at the rest of the league.

Yes, because the Patriots have such a track record of finding and developing WRs in the draft...... 🙄

Maybe if he was drafted as a TE.

The bigger question for LJH is who's his agent and where did he go to draft prep.  Those are the bigger tactical issues.  He had about 60 days to get ready and really wasn't seem ready for the testing.  It's more a statement about who prepped him for the combine.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

I love LJH and wish he was coming back this season but those measurables plus the fact that I believe he is somewhat a "system" (more on that in a minute) WR may really hurt him.  

If you are an NFL team you are now looking at a prospect that is basically very slow by WR standards, very weak by TE/HB standards and doesn't have some other measurable (hand, wingspan, etc) that is freakish in nature, in fact they are all fairly average.

On the system front Sushi had a really good post a few months back about what Herman was doing with the running of Sam and the passing game to take advantage of the pass-attack nature of the Big 12 and how many defenses had shifted to recruiting and utilizing "smaller and faster" players in their secondary and LB corp as a counter.  LJH thrived in his ability to whip the ass of undersized LBs and DBs once the ball was in his hands off the LOS.  He used his height and size coupled with the mentality of the RB position he used to fill at SLC to throw down a monster season.  That ability will certainly diminish in the NFL, and while the weight he showed up at the combine likely won't be his playing weight it doesn't make a good impression.

Hoping for the best for him and at this point that may be UFA but damn would have been nice for Tom to have him to play with one more year.

5 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Been reading/hearing a lot of shit from scouts today who were basically saying they didn’t expect him to break 4.7 looking at his tape, and his performance at the combine doesn’t change how they feel about him (because that’s the player they saw on tape). Take that for what it’s worth. Maybe he was a 6th or 7th rounder all along. But a lot of people weren’t surprised in the least bit by his 40 time. Dane Brugler said it best:

“Watch the tape, he’s not a sub 4.7 guy. But I don’t know that I ever saw him drop a pass at Texas, and he plays physical. Slimming down was a mistake. He should’ve stuck with his playing weight, or maybe he should’ve thought about bulking up and embracing who he is.”

Against OK State, he dropped a sure TD that couldve been the difference for us. Oh well, he won some games for us too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Yep ... that’s the real ticket to the big bucks. 🙄

Oh that moment when you get all brave and run that mouth unknowingly.

As an undrafted free agent vs 6th/7th rd pick would be trading a $75-150kish bonus for the option of choosing his team and being eligible for a new contract in year 4 vs 5.  For a guy already betting on himself, it's a big win/win.

Just now, UcancallmeSurly said:

Oh that moment when you get all brave and run that mouth unknowingly.

As an undrafted free agent vs 6th/7th rd pick would be trading a $75-150kish bonus for the option of choosing his team and being eligible for a new contract in year 4 vs 5.  For a guy already betting on himself, it's a big win/win.

So ... uhhh ... you’re already certain he’ll get to that second contract?  Now, that’s a brave moment. 

2 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

So ... uhhh ... you’re already certain he’ll get to that second contract?  Now, that’s a brave moment. 

First plate of misguided courage wasn't enough I see...  no worries, you'll get the profile photo some real chops sooner or later.

"For a guy already betting on himself, it's a big win/win."

Right, so how would coming back another year help him?

He put about as much production on tape as he could possibly expect. Coming back and repeating that’s next year would lead to marginal improvement in his draft position, not to mention the downside if he gets hurt or doesn’t match that high level of production.

outside of us as fans wanting him to come back, how does coming back actually help him. If he’s gonna be drafted low this year or next year due to measurables, then there’s really no clear reason for him to come back.

I'd say coming back could help him - not because his measurables would improve, but because his hype could be higher. If he comes back and is a huge part in Texas making a CFP run, the hype would boost his stock in the draft despite his measurables.

Do you think an undefeated 5'9 speedy QB at Tarleton St is considered a 1st Round pick? No. But put him on OU's team and have him win the Heisman and he's suddenly there. Hype can move someone up higher than 40 times and bench presses do.

• Like 3

John Ross ran what, a 4.22 40? He's already on the chopping block because he's garbage, speed doesn't guarantee success. LJH has great size, he's physical, can run good routes and has good hands.  Anquan Boldin ran a 4.71 40 and went on to have a tremendous career and he didn't have the physical attributes that LJH can use to his advantage. 

• Like 2

John Ross ran what, a 4.22 40? He's already on the chopping block because he's garbage, speed doesn't guarantee success. LJH has great size, he's physical, can run good routes and has good hands.  Anquan Boldin ran a 4.71 40 and went on to have a tremendous career and he didn't have the physical attributes that LJH can use to his advantage. 
Where was Boldin drafted?

NFL folks probably questioning LJH's work effort because of Combine numbers.  Maybe LJH can post a little better 40 at Texas pro day and performs better in football drills.

While watching the Combine, it looked like LJH was not in a good place mentally.  His body language was bad and maybe he just got overwhelmed by the pressure of the Combine.

Really hope LJH gets signed by the right NFL organization to help him develop and have a good NFL career.

NFL folks probably questioning LJH's work effort because of Combine numbers.  Maybe LJH can post a little better 40 at Texas pro day and performs better in football drills.
While watching the Combine, it looked like LJH was not in a good place mentally.  His body language was bad and maybe he just got overwhelmed by the pressure of the Combine.
Really hope LJH gets signed by the right NFL organization to help him develop and have a good NFL career.
Doesn't the NCAA have a rule where you can declare for the draft but if it goes wrong, you can come back to college? I kind of wish the NFL had the same thing. You have to realize these players are so young and have so many people pulling at them from all angles. They are very easily persuaded at that age. I think he could benefit from one more year of college. Maybe that's me being a selfish Horns fan but one more year of strength and conditioning could serve him well.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:
12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Doesn't the NCAA have a rule where you can declare for the draft but if it goes wrong, you can come back to college?

I think as long as you don't sign with an agent you don't lose your eligibility by declaring and going through the combine.  I know that's the case for college basketball, but don't know for sure if it applies equally in football.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Modessit said:

I'd say coming back could help him - not because his measurables would improve, but because his hype could be higher. If he comes back and is a huge part in Texas making a CFP run, the hype would boost his stock in the draft despite his measurables.

Do you think an undefeated 5'9 speedy QB at Tarleton St is considered a 1st Round pick? No. But put him on OU's team and have him win the Heisman and he's suddenly there. Hype can move someone up higher than 40 times and bench presses do.

Kyler is 5-10, has always looked like the best athlete on the field, and can make all of the NFL throws with ease. His biggest issue will be getting the ball past the OL and DL. I question his mentality and ability to win a locker room too. Divas at QB typically don't do well for long.

I've said it before, LJH has really good hands, but he needs to prove he can get the QB easy throws on a consistent basis. Will he be able to beat man coverage consistently? What value does he bring that other receivers don't?

Edited by Atticus

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I would have to say based on how well the rest of the guys have tested so far, Humphrey put little effort into preparing for the combine.

Yep. That’s the bigger issue than him not coming back. He can maybe salvage things a bit with a better pro day but he should’ve trained a lot harder/better and that combined with some of his suspensions/other issues is probably a red flag re work ethic/character for mos teams.