Lil’Jordan Humphrey

TheFlagship

59 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Jesus Christ. Whoever advised LJH to leave early did the young man wrong.  

Ya, cause a sports management degree is in such high demand.

if you can make 6+ figures go, college will always be there.  

• Like 4

I thought I read that LJH did not really receive particularly favorable draft projections when making his decision? And even those mid-round projections probably didn't count on him running such a bad 40 time. 

If he had run a 4.6 instead of a 4.8 and appeared as though he had actually trained leading up to the combine, he'd probably have been a 3rd/4th rounder. 

23 minutes ago, SDG said:

Ya, cause a sports management degree is in such high demand.

if you can make 6+ figures go, college will always be there.  

It’s not a matter of a degree and what he can make this year but what he could have been drafted at if he stayed another year. 

If he goes in the sixth round or later it was a huge mistake. He will be just as likely to get cut as he would to get paid. 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Jesus Christ. Whoever advised LJH to leave early did the young man wrong.  

That's not where the blame resides. 

Of course the people who will gain financially will "advise" a player to leave school and enter the draft. They don't have the player's long-term interests at heart. 

37 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

It’s not a matter of a degree and what he can make this year but what he could have been drafted at if he stayed another year. 

If he goes in the sixth round or later it was a huge mistake. He will be just as likely to get cut as he would to get paid. 

He was never going to raise his draft stock if he’s out here running 4.79s. He is who he is. He was 6th round or later whether he went in this years draft or stayed for next years draft. 

If you wanna argue that he’s missing out on what could be a potential run at something next year with this team, then sure. If that’s something he cares about I’m sure he regrets that more than anything. But if he’s slow now he’s going to be slow a year from now. If he wants to start the clock on his earning potential a year earlier, than that’s fine.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 2

Just now, Asithappens said:

That's a lot to assume.

Is it though? Guys don’t just knock seconds off of their 40 time after training for a year. He’s dropping the way he is because of several combine drills, but in large part, that 40 time. Think about the season LJH had. I don’t think one more year of greater or equal production is going to improve his draft stock if he can’t improve on that 40 time.

If he runs that 40 time after coming back with another productive year, the draft results would have been the same.  The number 1 question teams have with him is speed.  Not focusing on getting his 40 time down was such a terrible decision that it's hard to comprehend.  Guys knock off a couple tenths all the time by training for it.  It was pretty much the only thing he needed to do to get drafted in a decent round.  Some team will get a good receiver assuming can keep his head on straight, but he fucked himself out of a good chunk of money.

Edited by kevwun

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Is it though? Guys don’t just knock seconds off of their 40 time after training for a year. He’s dropping the way he is because of several combine drills, but in large part, that 40 time. Think about the season LJH had. I don’t think one more year of greater or equal production is going to improve his draft stock if he can’t improve on that 40 time.

Uhhhh yeah it is. Jfc and leaving in this deep ass WR draft was fuckin dumb also

he comes back and has even something remotely resembling last year, hes a lock for a draft pick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

I love how people who argue he should’ve come back just assume he’d get drafted higher the next year, even though the reasons he fell have nothing to do with his on-field play. He didn’t fall because he only had one year of production. He fell because his testing sucked and it was obvious he didn’t train hard for the combine. 

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Uhhhh yeah it is. Jfc and leaving in this deep ass WR draft was fuckin dumb also

he comes back and has even something remotely resembling last year, hes a lock for a draft pick

You keep talking about the deep draft. It’s not that deep or that good of a class compared to any other year. WR will be a loaded position every single year, and a WR who runs a 4.75 is going to fall hard every single year.

7 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Drafted where though? I still think someone takes a late round pick on him today so they don’t have to fight over him in free agency. If that happens and he gets taken in the 7th round, I really think he could’ve come back another year and played for Texas, and he would’ve gotten the exact same draft grade.

I’m curious to see how much time he could actually shave off that 40. I always see guys run faster 40s at their pro day vs the combine, but how much where you really expecting him to improve his 40.

20 minutes ago, pacman said:

This wr class was deep? They barely got two drafted in the first round, much like 2018. It is a mediocre year.

The depth of a position in a class is not determined by the number of first rounders. It’s the number that are expected to make rosters and get playing time. This year is considered deep at WR and DL. 

7 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Yes, it is.

You're assuming, among other things, that LJH was in tip-top shape and prepared adequately for his timed run. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't.

Haha that’s fair I guess. Yes, I would assume if he’s showing up to the biggest job interview of his life, at the very least he prepared for it. If he didn’t even do that, he’s a lot dumber than I’m “assuming”. I guess I was just giving him the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

I wish him the best this season and for the rest of his career, in whatever field that will be. Nobody will ever know how another year in college would have changed his perception by scouts. He had one big statistical season and terrible measureables at the combine and pro day. The narrative by sunshine pumpers was he wasn’t going to improve his measureables by staying and it would be hard to have a better statistical year on 2019, so he might as well go. I think having back to back great years and possibly setting some school records might have got him more attention. I think speed and strength are both things you can work on if you prepare for those drills for more than 4-6 weeks. OTOH he could have blown out his ACL if he had come back for a senior year and got nothing. Best wishes on your journey, LJH!

35 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

He is going to have to fight tooth and nail just to get a practice squad spot.

Are you serious Clark?  His diversity makes him a roster lock.  (I’m not saying UDFA is out of the question).   

If he's unwilling to properly train for the combine and the offseason, then there's also a fair chance that he would be unable to do the things that would be required of him to stay on the field his senior season.

He didn't want to be here for his senior year, let it go.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SDG said:

Are you serious Clark?  His diversity makes him a roster lock.  (I’m not saying UDFA is out of the question).   

He's going to have to prove himself on special teams then. Teams only carry like 5 WR

Edited by 6th Street

I luv and support every player who puts on the beautiful Burnt Orange and our Tighty Whities.  I wish LJH all the best.  He might rise and make us proud, or he might be fine as a former Longhorn, but I do have to give him an award for the best fucking name ever

Edited by Domedriver
  • Like 2

So some of you Longhorns who may or may not be in the know, answer me this:

Is Humphreys really an NFL caliber WR or is he an NFL caliber TE that was athletic enough to play WR in college?  I haven't seen anyone bring a position change up, but I may have missed it. I have no idea how good his blocking skills are, but a WR with that big of a frame seems like a candidate for a position change

3 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

So some of you Longhorns who may or may not be in the know, answer me this:

Is Humphreys really an NFL caliber WR or is he an NFL caliber TE that was athletic enough to play WR in college?  I haven't seen anyone bring a position change up, but I may have missed it. I have no idea how good his blocking skills are, but a WR with that big of a frame seems like a candidate for a position change

Jesus Christ. If you are trolling I apologize but, holy fuck the stupid is strong here. 

4 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Didn’t Omenihu listen?

Yes, which is why he didn't declare for the NFL draft as a junior. Brian Davis is saying that in the last two years the Texas coaching staff has not advised any junior football player to go ahead and declare for the draft, rather to stay for their senior season to theoretically improve their draft stock.