Charles Omenihu

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

49ers' Charles Omenihu arrested in San Jose in suspected domestic violence case

FnQJ8DeWAA0Y0O3?format=jpg&name=small

Dennis Young, SFGATE        Jan. 24, 2023 

San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Charles Omenihu was arrested Monday afternoon on suspicion of domestic violence, San Jose police said. 

A woman, who identified Omenihu as her boyfriend, called police to say that the 6-foot-5, 280-pound Omenihu "pushed her to the ground during an argument." When police arrived at the San Jose home, the woman declined medical attention. Officers arrested Omenihu on suspicion of misdemeanor domestic violence.

The arrest was first reported by the Bay Area News Group. 

Omenihu, 25, was booked into Santa Clara County jail and released on $10,000 bail, according to the Santa Clara County Sherriff's Office. He has not been charged in the case; the San Jose Police Department told SFGATE the case would be forwarded to the Santa Clara County District Attorney "once the investigation is complete."

The woman, whom cops said had a "complaint of pain to her arm," received a restraining order against the football player.

On Monday — before the arrest — 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said that Omenihu had strained his oblique in the team's 19-12 win over the Cowboys, but that he was expected to play in Sunday's NFC championship game in Philadelphia. Omenihu is a major part of the team's defensive line rotation, typically playing half the team's defensive snaps or more. He only appeared in 15 defensive plays on Sunday because of the injury, but had two sacks and a forced fumble in the wild card win over the Seahawks the week before.

"We are aware of the matter involving Charles Omenihu and are in the process of gathering further information," the 49ers said in a statement.

Omenihu, who joined the 49ers in a November 2021 trade from the Texans, is scheduled to be a free agent after the season.

• Rage+1 1

I guess because they are in the playoffs?  Otherwise strikes me as slow news day.  If the allegation (often the most sensational version of the event) is a push then that could mean a lot of things including him trying to get away from her.  Often the allegation (of non NFL guys) is “he picked me up and threw me across the room!”  And the reality is a hard shove. 

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

lt was probably in the wrong BUT she called the cops on that alone ?

and he was arrested ? 

all her stuff better be out of the house 

Obviously. Women have all the power. Big bad scary nfl player. Some chick who’s prob drunk throwing hands acting like a dude. Instead of laying her out cold he pushed her away. Bam Popo. He beat me I’m afraid for my life. 

that’s why women act a fool today. They have a get out of jail free card legally and with society 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

That’s what’s crazy. Pushing someone down is domestic violence?

It's also wild to me our legal system just goes around arresting people on what someone says about you, not what's actually proven. Innocent until proven guilty seems like a dead concept. It feels like the opposite "she is accusing you of x, that seems probable so we're going to lock you up against your will." 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Sigh, I thought this board had gotten much better about the victim blaming. It's a Longhorn so we all want him to succeed. But the vast majority of times the athlete skates through this with some public embarrassment, while the girl has to rebuild her whole life.

Y'all love to talk about jersey chasers who have the cray, as if there aren't twice as many entitled alpha pro athletes who have never had to learn how to manage a relationship, always have other options and don't hesitate to show off their strength by putting hands on a woman. Not saying that's Charles - just that it's stupid to pretend it's the athlete who is being attacked in these cases.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, Bartles said:

'all love to talk about jersey chasers who have the cray, as if there aren't twice as many entitled alpha pro athletes who have never had to learn how to manage a relationship, always have other options and don't hesitate to show off their strength by putting hands on a woman. 

No.  There are way more crazy jersey chasers

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bartles said:

Y'all love to talk about jersey chasers who have the cray, as if there aren't twice as many entitled alpha pro athletes who have never had to learn how to manage a relationship

I really need to know if you honestly believe that for every two professional athletes in this country there is only one questionably stable gold-digging woman trying to sleep with them. 

I believe that the barrier to entry of playing in the NFL is slightly higher than getting your tits done and posting slutty ig pictures. Those guys get laid like I wake up and take a piss in the morning. 

We can avoid victim-blaming and be sensitive to DV issues without pretending we're all living in some fugazi lala land. 

I'm sure professional athletes are not exactly the paragon of how to manage healthy relationships. They are also navigating more treacherous waters than most posters here could imagine. 

Maybe Charles likes to put his hands on women - maybe it was an isolated, relatively harmless incident that was out of character for him. Either way - guys like him absolutely deal with women trying to take advantage of them and get a payday. 

• Like 1

@ztejas I should have clarified "jersey chasers who actually succeed in reaching girlfriend status" as in this case. At that point, I don't want to hear about dude navigating troubled waters, he chose to keep the relationship going.

Obviously we barely have any details on Charles' case right now, this is just a general discussion

4 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

It's also wild to me our legal system just goes around arresting people on what someone says about you, not what's actually proven. Innocent until proven guilty seems like a dead concept. It feels like the opposite "she is accusing you of x, that seems probable so we're going to lock you up against your will." 

I think you're a bit confused on what an arrest is. Yes, we arrest them before a trial based on probable cause. The purpose of the arrest is to detain someone suspected of a crime so that they can be processed in the system, including making the determination of whether pre-trial detention is warranted. Innocent before proven guilty just means the burden is on the prosecution to prove guilt during trial. 

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

The only thing that’s stupid is to pretend they can’t be attacked because they’re big bad athletes.

I’m sorry, pushing someone isn’t assault unless you push them down some stairs.

Any intentional, unwanted physical contact can be assault. Well, historically it would be called battery (unwanted touching of various degrees), but many jurisdictions have combined assault (threatening bodily injury) and battery under a single name. 

• Like 2

The prevalence of crazy jersey chasers and multitude of cautionary tales involving incidents like this is why athletes like Omenihu should be aware enough (especially smart guys like him) to not put themselves in situations like this any time, much less during the middle of a potential Super Bowl run.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

That’s what’s crazy. Pushing someone down is domestic violence?

Breathe on a psycho bitch and you will catch a case. 

All these guys getting rich quick need a class on the crazy/hot matrix man. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

As mentioned above, you need to study up on innocent until proven guilty. You seem to think people shouldn't be arrested until they're convicted. Walk us through the sequence of events from crime to conviction in your world.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

In the "good old days" when the cops just made the parties go to separate rooms, and promise to stay away from each other until tomorrow, they would sometimes have to resopnd to the same address an hour later when the murder, or aggravated assault took place. Right or wrong, if the cops show up to a domestic squabble, and one of the parties says offensive contact took place, then somone goes to jail. Its how police chiefs and county sheriffs keep their jobs. They do not want to be the head of the entity that "could have prevented this tragedy if they had just done their jobs."

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Please note I am not in favor of murder or agravated assault. I don't like that it seems to always be the man who has to sleep in jail. Sometimes the person who started all the shit and did the most assaulting gets to sleep in their own bed. That's still better than someone neading a funeral or facial reconstruction.

56 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

6’5 275lb pro football players have no business laying hands on anyone unless they themselves have reason to call police. The dude is a trained fighter with freakish size and athleticism.

Hope justice be served, whatever that may be.

She had no business being aggressive with him. Whether he's 5'5 120 or 6'5 270.

He clearly showed restraint otherwise this would be a completely different story. See Joe Mixon.

There are definitely some horrific situations out there though. This is not one them. 

• Like 1

There appears to be an opportunity here.

I'm thinking "Undefeated Protection Services, LLC" where a man can rent a bodyguard along the lines of Rhonda Rousey and her associates to protect against attacks by ex- or soon-to-be-ex wives, girlfriends and such. 

"Rhonda, help me out here. Take Muffin downstairs and uber her the fuck out of my life, would you, please?

Edited by Tex Long
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

We don't know if she was aggressive with him, nor if he showed restraint. I don't think there are any details other than the initial police report. 

Shanahan said he's playing if healthy FWIW

This is a girl he's been involved with since he was in Houston. She's also your typical 20 something drama loving girl. 

Hope this doesn't impact his career, but he needs to pick his company/relationships better.

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Niners: "Willing to let the legal system play out"

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35525420/niners-willing-let-legal-process-play-charles-omenihu

So a team in CALIFORNIA is willing to let the legal system play out while a university in TEXAS doesn't have the balls to do the same. 

You are such a miserable person.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Niners: "Willing to let the legal system play out"

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35525420/niners-willing-let-legal-process-play-charles-omenihu

So a team in CALIFORNIA is willing to let the legal system play out while a university in TEXAS doesn't have the balls to do the same. 

An expendable player vs. A head coach of a major university 

pendejo

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I think you're a bit confused on what an arrest is. Yes, we arrest them before a trial based on probable cause. The purpose of the arrest is to detain someone suspected of a crime so that they can be processed in the system, including making the determination of whether pre-trial detention is warranted. Innocent before proven guilty just means the burden is on the prosecution to prove guilt during trial. 

Any intentional, unwanted physical contact can be assault. Well, historically it would be called battery (unwanted touching of various degrees), but many jurisdictions have combined assault (threatening bodily injury) and battery under a single name. 

Which I think is insane. Isn't probable cause what some DA "thinks" vs what actually is? The whole point is we don't yet know what "actually is" yet our legal system has locked you up like an animal in a cage. Then we're so nice to our citizens that we allow their picture to be plastered all over the internet and the MSM write articles as if they were tried and convicted. 

These events are life altering and typically affect way more that just the "accused". Unfortunately this is mostly because the public is too dumb to understand accusation doesn't equal conviction. 

I'm in agreement that criminals if found guilty based on conclusive evidence, should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. 

But this culture America has, of locking adults in cages like dogs so some district attorney/prosecutor can put a notch in the win column is cruel and not in my opinion what our legal system was put in place to do. 

6 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Which I think is insane. Isn't probable cause what some DA "thinks" vs what actually is? The whole point is we don't yet know what "actually is" yet our legal system has locked you up like an animal in a cage. Then we're so nice to our citizens that we allow their picture to be plastered all over the internet and the MSM write articles as if they were tried and convicted. 

These events are life altering and typically affect way more that just the "accused". Unfortunately this is mostly because the public is too dumb to understand accusation doesn't equal conviction. 

I'm in agreement that criminals if found guilty based on conclusive evidence, should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. 

But this culture America has, of locking adults in cages like dogs so some district attorney/prosecutor can put a notch in the win column is cruel and not in my opinion what our legal system was put in place to do. 

Even worse, probably cause is what some police officer thinks. They get cuffed, printed, photo'd, and locked up before anyone from the DA's office has anything to do with it. Then if the person has enough money they can pay to get out of jail until it gets sorted. If they don't then tough shit. 

The system is completely fucked

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Even worse, probably cause is what some police officer thinks. They get cuffed, printed, photo'd, and locked up before anyone from the DA's office has anything to do with it. Then if the person has enough money they can pay to get out of jail until it gets sorted. If they don't then tough shit. 

The system is completely fucked

Exactly! Where's the check and balance? The President can't even act on what he "thinks" without the approval of congress. 

The fact that this can happen in our system is nuts. Human errors happen in life, but when the ramifications are this serious it's terrifying that it seems like these errors are just "accepted". But I live in the opinion of I would rather the guilty (without enough proof) go free, than the possibility of locking up an innocent person. That's just fuckin evil. 

Yeah, we’ll wait on your educated take on how other societies handle domestic violence calls when they’re very prevalent and domestic violence murder rates are well above average.

This isnt about DA’s. They often cant prosecute these cases. This is about reality. Reality is we need to process violent offenders and separate the accused from the possible victim(s) at least for a few hours. Often the victims are essentially being held hostage and watched at all times. You’re living in a fantasyland if you think the harms of media coverage outweigh domestic violence. It’s not even close.

Additionally, I reiterate that individuals that have lethal abilities have a responsibility to avoid laying hands on people (especially smaller, female, elderly, disabled, and/or children) unless they themselves have cause to contact authorities for violence.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Exactly! Where's the check and balance? The President can't even act on what he "thinks" without the approval of congress. 

The fact that this can happen in our system is nuts. Human errors happen in life, but when the ramifications are this serious it's terrifying that it seems like these errors are just "accepted". But I live in the opinion of I would rather the guilty (without enough proof) go free, than the possibility of locking up an innocent person. That's just fuckin evil. 

This was supposed to go with my comment.