Charles Omenihu

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

17 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

What happened to this dude? How has he become a complete non-factor for this defense?

someone explain...

I think he's doing a lot of dirty work that isn't getting stats, setting the edge not rushing upfield indiscriminately, etc.

we're pretty much controlling the line of scrimmage with 3 down lineman; those guys are keeping o line from getting to the swarming tacklers behind them

10 minutes ago, SomnambulantBrobdingnagian said:

I think he's doing a lot of dirty work that isn't getting stats, setting the edge not rushing upfield indiscriminately, etc.

we're pretty much controlling the line of scrimmage with 3 down lineman; those guys are keeping o line from getting to the swarming tacklers behind them

That’s kinda what I was assuming, but even still you would think that eventually he would find himself near a ball carrier and making a tackle. I can’t remember a time this year where his name was called...

I thought for sure with his size and strength he was setup for a breakout year on his way to the NFL. But it just seems like he has completely disappeared.

5 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

So y’all are saying Omenihu and Hager are not very good yet we are controlling the LOS.  Has to be a middle ground here fellas.  DL play is more than sacks and tackles. 

I don’t disagree but a good end makes his presence felt against both the run and pass. Our 2 ends accounted for what, 1 tackle and a couple of offsides penalties?

i wonder how Charles O grades out on film?

5 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

So y’all are saying Omenihu and Hager are not very good yet we are controlling the LOS.  Has to be a middle ground here fellas.  DL play is more than sacks and tackles. 

Well sc gave up trying to run on us in the first quarter so sacks and tackles is a good way to gauge their game. Yesterday, Nelson had a very Poona-like game disrupting everything in the middle. Maybe we can agree Hager and Omenihu do a good job of occupying tackles? Because that's about it...

Charles o wasn’t ever a “explosive” d-end, even in high school he wasn’t quick or explosive. He has to get creative to get sacks on his own ability or a blitz where his guy moves to pick that up which frees him up.

i think Orlando likes to use Charles o as a lane clogger or decoy for our lb’s or secondary to blitz and get sacks.

45 minutes ago, SomnambulantBrobdingnagian said:

This is an issue with this defense and I believe it works against us in some fashion with DL recruits. We can also point to Ed Oliver and tell them. If you are a boss. You will be a boss. Never cared for the 3-man front myself, as I have grown up most my life seeing us playing the 4-3. This is different times and Orlando is a witch.

4 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Our front 3 aren't necessarily supposed to be play makers... Charles takes a couple of blockers and allows the LBs to make plays... I don't know why we are seeing more statistical production from C.O. or Hager... Nelson is getting tackles.

Exactly this.  Read some of the analysis about why we're stuffing the run so well without conceding the hashes.  We're doing it without over committing numbers to the box, and we're still shutting down the run game. That doesn't happen without the dline doing what they're intended to do in this system.

Would I like more qb pressure?  Sure. But we're taking away the run game and daring teams to throw into our secondary, which as of the last two games is looking like a scarier game to play against us.  It's working, even if all of the stats aren't always what we'd like. 

• Like 2

The way they were calling the game, very one sided and nothing at all on K State, I was completely surprised they did not get him for taunting after the sack/safety.  I think the TV guy might have been right, if Nelson and 23 don't rip right out of there, he might have gotten rung up.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

He’s had a good 3 weeks. 

He really has. My main critique was that he wasn't disruptive enough but that hasn't been the case the past 3 weeks. Hager played his best game yesterday but he's still inconsistent. Nelson has been an unsung hero this season. 

On 9/23/2018 at 8:36 AM, joeycovers said:

Yup. This is the exact same thread.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 7:36 AM, joeycovers said:

Also known as the Naashon Hughes defense. 

He was non-existent to start the season and has come on strong the last few weeks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pacman said:

lol that's a shit comparison. Omenihu's position is to occupy blockers so linebackers like hughes can make plays for the stat sheet.

He certainly needed a stronger effort against maryland, and probably Tulsa. He has been fantastic otherwise.

#gilescoachinghimup

8 hours ago, pacman said:

lol that's a shit comparison. Omenihu's position is to occupy blockers so linebackers like hughes can make plays for the stat sheet.

He certainly needed a stronger effort against maryland, and probably Tulsa. He has been fantastic otherwise.

Why did he go from not showing up in the stat sheet to showing up in the stat sheet?

two options:

1) they asked him to not make plays early on, but then changed course and asked him to start making plays

2) his play improved greatly.

you can let us rubes know which happened.

11 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Why did he go from not showing up in the stat sheet to showing up in the stat sheet?

two options:

1) they asked him to not make plays early on, but then changed course and asked him to start making plays

2) his play improved greatly.

you can let us rubes know which happened.

17 solo tackles / 8 assists / 4 sacks

16 solo tackles / 5 assists / 6 sacks 

Top stat line is Aaron Donald and bottom is Charles this season...defensive line does not always need to show up on the stats to show they’re doing a good job/their job.  We’re usually based out of 3 down linemen and maybe have a backer or DB blitz.  It’s kinda hard to rack up the sacks/tackles every play like that.

also in no way comparing Omenihu to Donald (not even on same level or close) just using it as comparison that the damage they cause doesn’t always show up in the stat line.

16 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

17 solo tackles / 8 assists / 4 sacks

16 solo tackles / 5 assists / 6 sacks 

Top stat line is Aaron Donald and bottom is Charles this season...defensive line does not always need to show up on the stats to show they’re doing a good job/their job.  We’re usually based out of 3 down linemen and maybe have a backer or DB blitz.  It’s kinda hard to rack up the sacks/tackles every play like that.

also in no way comparing Omenihu to Donald (not even on same level or close) just using it as comparison that the damage they cause doesn’t always show up in the stat line.

Aaron Donald is a DT, and faces double and triple teams on every play. Charles is a DE, and is almost always matched up 1 on 1. While I agree that Charles has had a decent year, this is not a good comparison.

Omenihu has been in the stat sheet, all year but it rarely speaks to his effectiveness. Stats tell very little to effectiveness of a player, especially a 3-4 DE. I personally thought he was very poor in the Maryland game and he had 6 tackles and a blocked pass. He disappeared against Tulsa on the stat sheet and his effectiveness. He wasn't on the stat sheet against TCU, but TCU struggled to do anything to his side of the field.

Lately, we have seen the other players on D be a little more effective in their blitzes in some games, that have allowed him to be 1 on 1 with an olineman, or pressure the QB into Omenihu. As an example, for the most part, they stopped trying to make PJ a blitzer. He has a tendency to just run into blockers and stay blocked. Whereas, Foster tends to find a way to wiggle around and disrupt the QB.

It's not just about numbers. Take supposed top 15 draft prospect Raekwon Davis out of Alabama(not saying the two are comparable, only their task on defense).

27 tackles, 3 TFL, 0.5 sacks this year.

Edited by pacman

2 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

Aaron Donald is a DT, and faces double and triple teams on every play. Charles is a DE, and is almost always matched up 1 on 1. While I agree that Charles has had a decent year, this is not a good comparison.

on pretty much every time they run to Omenihu's side he gets double teamed or at least chipped by a second blocker before that blocker moves to the second level so he's not always matched up 1 on 1.  And as Joey Graves pointed out JJ Watt is at 19/6/7.  You don't see it on the stat line but it can easily be seen the disruption being caused.

Rod Babers said the other day that Charles could go as high as 2nd round in the draft if he gets to double digit sacks and gets invited to the combine. Rod is known to watch a lot of film and do a lot of research, and he's forgotten more about football than most of us will ever know.

Edited by Chopper