Charles Omenihu

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

1 hour ago, CowboyFred said:

on pretty much every time they run to Omenihu's side he gets double teamed or at least chipped by a second blocker before that blocker moves to the second level so he's not always matched up 1 on 1.  And as Joey Graves pointed out JJ Watt is at 19/6/7.  You don't see it on the stat line but it can easily be seen the disruption being caused.

Not denying that he hasn't had a decent year.... but JJ Watt is also a DT. If we are going to pretend that Omenihu is having a similar season, stat wise, to the two of the best DL in the NFL, let's at least try and pick someone from a similar position.

I think it is also pertinent to point out that the Texans have played 1 fewer game than Texas.

Omenihu is a nice player, Hager is an emotional leader, they are not game changers like everyone on here is making them out to be.

12 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Not denying that he hasn't had a decent year.... but JJ Watt is also a DT. If we are going to pretend that Omenihu is having a similar season, stat wise, to the two of the best DL in the NFL, let's at least try and pick someone from a similar position.

I think it is also pertinent to point out that the Texans have played 1 fewer game than Texas.

Omenihu is a nice player, Hager is an emotional leader, they are not game changers like everyone on here is making them out to be.

I'll ignore the JJ Watt thing...

Who is everyone?  I see a lot of people saying that Omenihu is making himself some cash (he is) and that he's having a career year (he is).   I don't think anyone has said he's having an AA season.

4 minutes ago, Fico said:

Umm, no he isn't. 

Exactly.  Watt aligns outside on a 3 man DL.  Some teams list that guy as a DT (typically calling the guy in the middle a NG instead of a NT also).  Texas has that position as DE but the responsibilities and alignment are similar. if not the same.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'll ignore the JJ Watt thing...

Who is everyone?  I see a lot of people saying that Omenihu is making himself some cash (he is) and that he's having a career year (he is).   I don't think anyone has said he's having an AA season.

I don't recall anyone, including myself, of saying Omenihu is having an AA type season. I just think it is a bit silly to compare his stats to those of the two best DL on the planet. He and Hager are nice players. Neither will be picked on the 1st day of the draft, and maybe not at all. They are 5th-7th rd type guys, and Hager may actually be a hotter commodity because he will help out much more on special teams.

He really has. My main critique was that he wasn't disruptive enough but that hasn't been the case the past 3 weeks. Hager played his best game yesterday but he's still inconsistent. Nelson has been an unsung hero this season. 
Nelson doesn't get many glory plays, but just like Poona he's not getting pushed around either..

1 hour ago, FloridaHorn said:

lol at Watt not being a DE...my discussion will stop there with you. kthnxbai

55 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I don't recall anyone, including myself, of saying Omenihu is having an AA type season. I just think it is a bit silly to compare his stats to those of the two best DL on the planet. He and Hager are nice players. Neither will be picked on the 1st day of the draft, and maybe not at all. They are 5th-7th rd type guys, and Hager may actually be a hotter commodity because he will help out much more on special teams.

why silly?  they are all playing in the same type of 3-4 defensive scheme and are tearing it up this season even if it isn't really showing up on the stat line.  I'm not saying, or ever said, that Omenihu is playing all world, but I am saying that he is having a solid season even though his stats might not show it.  And I didn't bring Hager into this discussion so not sure why you did. 

ok now I'm done discussing this topic with you.

• Like 1

Aaron Donald is a DT, and faces double and triple teams on every play. Charles is a DE, and is almost always matched up 1 on 1. While I agree that Charles has had a decent year, this is not a good comparison.
Pretty sure Wade Phillips is running a 3-4 front this season so actually they're quite similar.

I continue to have this perception, based upon no data whatsoever, that CO is the only guy we have on the roster with enough size to play against the elite teams. It feels like our other guys are just a shade small. Could be completely wrong, but just being out next to the guys they didn’t seem quite big enough.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 7:11 AM, Auto Driller said:

Congrats to Charles. A good performance during Senior Bowl week will go a long way to improve his draft position. I’m assuming he would go somewhere in round 5/6 if the draft were today.

DL seems really deep for the NFL draft this year. I suspect he and Gary both will end with better nfl careers than we give them credit for in their longhorn careers.

Charles is a guy that will have a better NFL career.  His pass rushing ability isn't highlighted as much in our defensive scheme, yet he's still 2nd in the conference in sacks.  In a traditional 4 DL scheme, he would put up better numbers.  He's also an extremely hard worker.  I think he will have a very solid NFL career.  I can see him going 4th or 5th round.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't imagine having to respond to Brian Davis asking one of our players about his "swag."

Q: "So, Charles, the defense played a much better game on Saturday.  Would you agree that Stella Got Her Groove Back?  Follow-up questions:  If she did get her groove back, how ?  And one final question:  What do these words actually mean when arranged in the order that my mouth has placed them in?"

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 1

Really happy for any guy that makes the right decision to come back to school for his senior season, play well, avoid injury and hopefully reap the benefit of doing it the "right way."  (I say right way because he was not going to get picked high at all last year.  for some guys who are clearly ready as a junior, leaving early might be the smart thing). 

• 1 month later...