Charlie Robison retiring (surgery complications)

bluto

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He was never a good singer to begin with. 

Couldnt he just John prine it and sing anyway?

Apparently he doesn't think so.  From his Facebook page:

Hey amigos,Charlie here. I’m sure you’ve all been wondering where I’ve been. Well,at the beginning of this year I underwent a surgical procedure that because ofcomplications left me with the permanent inability to sing. Therefore,with a very heavy heart I am officially retiring from the the stage and studio. Gonna keep it short but just wanted y’all to hear it from me. It’s been an amazing ride and I cannot tell you all what the last 25 years has meant to me. I was looking forward to another 25 but as they say “shit happens”. I thank you all for everything you’ve given me and I hope I was able to give you a fraction of the happiness you gave me. It was a hell of a ride but as they say all good things must end. Keep on supporting this thing we call Texas/Red dirt and hopefully we’ll all get to have a cocktail or two and talk about the good ol days. Until then,Buenos Noches. It’s been fun. Love each and every one of y’all. C

I tend to disagree that he wasn't a "good" singer.  He wasn't Frank Sinatra or Freddie Mercury, but I never once thought his voice was a problem.  Frankly, I'd be closer to saying that about Bruce than Charlie, although Bruce has the good fortune and bad luck to often duet with Kelly Willis.  She'll make anybody look bad, but at least the focus is always on her.

5 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

But this reads to me as just an excuse to "legitimately" do what he's wanted to do for a long time, which is hang up the guitar and just slowly kill himself.

How do you figure? 

He's been pretty active with his kids , Harvey recovery and living the life fishing down in Mexico, doesn't sound like he is slowly killing himself

4 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

This sucks, has to be tough when you have performed all your life and it’s taken away like that.  

I wouldn't be shocked if he gets as much of a charge out of songwriting as he does performing.  Not to diminish the situation, but he'll probably crank out some really fantastic stuff as a result.

As Shawn Colvin once sang,

Music, it never goes
But I told you I hate that shit
When people say"well you know
You got a song out of it"

But those songs do tend to show up anyway . . . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, noharleyyet said:

Good singing and great voice aren't mutually inclusive nor exclusive. Charlie Robison is certainly a good singer...

Fine. Semantics. I don’t listen to him because his voice is great. I listen because his songs are outstanding and his vocal performance is emotional and moving. 

• Like 2

On 9/25/2018 at 3:23 PM, Post Oak said:

Sad to hear.  Haven't listened to him in far too long.  LotP is a great album.

Top 5 songs

1 Sunset Boulevard

2 Loving County

3 El Cerrito Place

4 Tonight

5 My Hometown

Replace Tonight with You’re Not the Best and that’s my list.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2018 at 5:10 PM, jimmyjazz said:

EVERY SINGLE TIME I see that clip, I completely melt when Kelly takes the second verse.  It always surprises me, even though I know it's coming.  Goodness, what a voice.  

I get chill bumps every time I hear Kelly's version.    And that is a great section from the Shawn Colvin song.  

BTW, I saw Kim Richey at a house concert last weekend.  She is touring with a bass player and guitar dude.  Both have great vocals as well and she has still got it.  Her new record has some great new songs.

On 9/25/2018 at 3:23 PM, Post Oak said:

Sad to hear.  Haven't listened to him in far too long.  LotP is a great album.

Top 5 songs

1 Sunset Boulevard

2 Loving County

3 El Cerrito Place

4 Tonight

5 My Hometown

Another one that Charlie didn't write. Off that album, El Cerrito Place and Big City Blues were written by Keith Gattis.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
Typo

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

found this - the tldr is

There is hope that Charlie Robison could be on the comeback trail, or is at least probing that possibility.

As previously reported, Charlie Robison played and sang during an acoustic performance at a private party as part of the West of Pecos Rodeo in late June. But this was an unannounced, one-off engagement. It gave us glimmers of hope, but no definitive evidence Robison was considering getting back into the game. But now Charlie has officially booked a show at the Red Rooster Icehouse in Hawkins, TX (near Longview and Tyler) for November 25th—the day after Thanksgiving.

“He’s not going on tour or anything. He’s just going to play a show or two, and they’re hoping that he sees that fans really want him back, and he’ll say, ‘Let’s do this thing,'” Red Rooster Ice House owner Brandon Baker tells Saving Country Music.

He also just played at Steamboat Fest.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/texas-country-legend-charlie-robison-is-exploring-a-comeback/#comments

September 28, 2022
Texas Country Legend Charlie Robison is Exploring a Comeback

It was four years ago this week that Texas music legend and once major label artist Charlie Robison announced his retirement from performing. Only 54 at the time, the announcement was a shocking blow to many.

“I’m sure you’ve all been wondering where I’ve been. Well, at the beginning of this year I underwent a surgical procedure that because of complications left me with the permanent inability to sing. Therefore, with a very heavy heart I am officially retiring from the stage and studio,” Robison said in a statement. “It’s been an amazing ride and I cannot tell you all what the last 25 years has meant to me. I was looking forward to another 25 but as they say ‘shit happens.’ I thank you all for everything you’ve given me and I hope I was able to give you a fraction of the happiness you gave me. It was a hell of a ride but as they say all good things must end.”

Charlie Robison isn’t just known for iconic songs like “Loving County,” “My Hometown,” and “News Year’s Day,” he’s part of one of the most important families in Texas music. Along with his well-known brother and fellow performer Bruce Robison, Charlie’s sister Robyn Ludwick is also a songwriter and performer. Charlie was also married to Emily Erwin of The [Dixie] Chicks for a decade, and the couple had three children together before divorcing in 2008.

When Charlie Robison made his retirement announcement in 2018, it felt a little fatalistic that no solution could eventually be found to fix his vocal woes, but he also left no wiggle room in his declaration. Well now there is hope that Charlie Robison could be on the comeback trail, or is at least probing that possibility.

As previously reported, Charlie Robison played and sang during an acoustic performance at a private party as part of the West of Pecos Rodeo in late June. But this was an unannounced, one-off engagement. It gave us glimmers of hope, but no definitive evidence Robison was considering getting back into the game. But now Charlie has officially booked a show at the Red Rooster Icehouse in Hawkins, TX (near Longview and Tyler) for November 25th—the day after Thanksgiving.

“He’s not going on tour or anything. He’s just going to play a show or two, and they’re hoping that he sees that fans really want him back, and he’ll say, ‘Let’s do this thing,'” Red Rooster Ice House owner Brandon Baker tells Saving Country Music.

For the fortunate venue and fans in the area, it was persistence that paid off.

“I talk to his agent probably once a week because they book a lot of other artists too,” says Brandon Baker. “He was our first show here almost six year ago and sold it out. In 2018 when he retired, I kept talking to his agent about him coming back. I was wearing him out about it, and finally he just said, ‘If he ever wants to play anywhere, if he wants to do a comeback, we’ll call you first.’ And it happened. They called me, and said ‘Hey, he’s wanting to play a couple of appearances and asked me if I was good for the 25th of November. I said, ‘Hell yeah I am.'”

Charlie Robison has also been booked at The Backyard in Seguin, TX for November 23rd, and at the revered Dallas listening venue The Kessler for November 26th.

Saving Country Music also reached out to his booking agent Red 11, as well as his previous manager, but so far they’re keeping any plans or prospects close to the vest. But this news is promising to say the least, and the folks in Hawkins, TX are in for a treat. Tickets go on sale Friday, September 30th at Outhouse Tickets. Grady Spencer opens the show.
© 2022 Saving Country Music

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Chopper said:

found this - the tldr is

He also just played at Steamboat Fest.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/texas-country-legend-charlie-robison-is-exploring-a-comeback/#comments

September 28, 2022
Texas Country Legend Charlie Robison is Exploring a Comeback

It was four years ago this week that Texas music legend and once major label artist Charlie Robison announced his retirement from performing. Only 54 at the time, the announcement was a shocking blow to many.

“I’m sure you’ve all been wondering where I’ve been. Well, at the beginning of this year I underwent a surgical procedure that because of complications left me with the permanent inability to sing. Therefore, with a very heavy heart I am officially retiring from the stage and studio,” Robison said in a statement. “It’s been an amazing ride and I cannot tell you all what the last 25 years has meant to me. I was looking forward to another 25 but as they say ‘shit happens.’ I thank you all for everything you’ve given me and I hope I was able to give you a fraction of the happiness you gave me. It was a hell of a ride but as they say all good things must end.”

Charlie Robison isn’t just known for iconic songs like “Loving County,” “My Hometown,” and “News Year’s Day,” he’s part of one of the most important families in Texas music. Along with his well-known brother and fellow performer Bruce Robison, Charlie’s sister Robyn Ludwick is also a songwriter and performer. Charlie was also married to Emily Erwin of The [Dixie] Chicks for a decade, and the couple had three children together before divorcing in 2008.

When Charlie Robison made his retirement announcement in 2018, it felt a little fatalistic that no solution could eventually be found to fix his vocal woes, but he also left no wiggle room in his declaration. Well now there is hope that Charlie Robison could be on the comeback trail, or is at least probing that possibility.

For the fortunate venue and fans in the area, it was persistence that paid off.

“I talk to his agent probably once a week because they book a lot of other artists too,” says Brandon Baker. “He was our first show here almost six year ago and sold it out. In 2018 when he retired, I kept talking to his agent about him coming back. I was wearing him out about it, and finally he just said, ‘If he ever wants to play anywhere, if he wants to do a comeback, we’ll call you first.’ And it happened. They called me, and said ‘Hey, he’s wanting to play a couple of appearances and asked me if I was good for the 25th of November. I said, ‘Hell yeah I am.'”

Charlie Robison has also been booked at The Backyard in Seguin, TX for November 23rd, and at the revered Dallas listening venue The Kessler for November 26th.

Saving Country Music also reached out to his booking agent Red 11, as well as his previous manager, but so far they’re keeping any plans or prospects close to the vest. But this news is promising to say the least, and the folks in Hawkins, TX are in for a treat. Tickets go on sale Friday, September 30th at Outhouse Tickets. Grady Spencer opens the show.
© 2022 Saving Country Music

My wife and I went to the show at The Kessler. He sounded great and we had a great time.

• Hook 'Em 1