All things lottery

Wally Fairway

5 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I hope they upgrade the nacho and hotdog machine.

That part about the story was really pissing me off.  The article said that if the winner didnt come forward, the store would not  have collected the $50k (and btw- why the fuck is it only $50k for a $1.5B win?).    The fucking state would have gotten back all the sales in their state as a rebate (as would all 43 other states),  it would have been a massive profit margin for all the states, and the fucking lottery wouldnt have paid the fucking store for selling a winning non-cashed ticket?    what the fuck kind of bullshit is that?

"everybody makes money except the guy who lost the ticket and the guy who actually sold the ticket"

On March 5, 2019 at 7:53 PM, Continental Op said:

I would love to know what this person did since finding out they won.  Did they act natural and keep going to work so they didn't tip anyone off?  If I had a $1.5 billion lottery ticket handy and tried to go to work and play it cool there's a pretty high chance I'd break a chair on someones head before lunch on the first day.  

I'd like to know where they stored the ticket. 

• 2 months later...

OK, who is the Surly asshat who won $5M at HEB?

out yourself so we can all jump you and take your money

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/check-your-tickets-mega-millions-ticket-sold-at-austin-h-e-b-store-wins-5-million/2018391974

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A Mega Millions ticket sold at an H-E-B store on Slaughter Lane has won a lucky person $5 million Tuesday night, according to the Texas Lottery

The winning ticket was sold at H-E-B Store #068 located at 5800 Slaughter Lane in Austin. The ticket was a quick pick. 

The Mega Millions winning numbers are: 

10-50-55-56-58-15 

While there was no winner for the ultimate jackpot prize of $367 million, a ticket sold in Austin and another in Pennsylvania won the Match 5 + Megaplier prize which multiplied their $1 million winnings by 5. 

The person with the winning ticket will have to claim their prize within 180 days after the draw date and it won't be valid until it is presented for payment and meets the Commission's validation requirements.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

$14.6 million winner goes unclaimed in Arizona; I had to check, but I was there 196 days ago, so at least it wasn't me.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/03/us/unclaimed-lottery-ticket-14-6-million-trnd/index.html

here is part of the story I find even more interesting - tons of unclaimed lottery prizes, billions - damn

There were $2.89 billion in unclaimed lottery prizes in the 12 months ending June 2017, lottery expert Brett Jacobson told CNN in 2018. And 167 prizes worth $1 million or more went unclaimed in fiscal 2017. The biggest-ever unclaimed prize was a $77 million winning ticket purchased in Georgia in June 2011.
Up until Monday, the largest unclaimed prize in Arizona had been a $4 million jackpot back in 1999. In fiscal year 2019, Arizona Lottery saw more than $11.6 million go unclaimed, Gilliland said.

• 8 months later...
12 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

Don’t look now but TX Lotto is way up. Someone’s due soon. I won $10 over the last two drawings. First round’s on me boys.

The last time it was won was in January, it's been rolling over ever since then. I think the jackpot in January was 14MM, it had been rolling over then for a good while. I bought $5 worth on Saturday and won $50. Prolly ought to quit right now. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2020 at 5:48 AM, AUS-97HORN said:

i guess we all are slacking...

2 wins in the past month here in Texas. 

someone living near Segiun  won $47M the first of the month.

and then yesterday a Round Rock resident  won a Milsky Scratcher.

$47M...yeah, I'm out. Take the lump sum, which is about $32-33M, pay yourself a set annuity YOY, and re-fucking-tire.  And tell....nobody.....

17sI5P.gif

7 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

$47M...yeah, I'm out. Take the lump sum, which is about $32-33M, pay yourself a set annuity YOY, and re-fucking-tire.  And tell....nobody.....

17sI5P.gif

call it 32M but then you pay 42% in taxes so you are left with 18.5M. You can likely pay yourself 3% to 4% on that without risking the principal. So 650k a year (which you then pay capitol gains taxes on) yeah that could be a good life. 

16 hours ago, hornbri said:

call it 32M but then you pay 42% in taxes so you are left with 18.5M. You can likely pay yourself 3% to 4% on that without risking the principal. So 650k a year (which you then pay capitol gains taxes on) yeah that could be a good life. 

$650?  And take a pay cut?  Guess I have to keep working....;)

• 2 months later...

Friday’s Mega Millions jackpot was one the most valuable lottery jackpots ever, according to organizers.

One ticket matched all six numbers — 4, 26, 42, 50, 60, and 24 —necessary to win the estimated $1 billion prize, according to Mega Millions. The yet-to-be-identified winner can choose between long-term payments or a $739.6 million lump-sum payout before taxes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/1-billion-mega-millions-jackpot-has-winner-n1255418

No one in Texas ever wins the big lottery prizes or at least we seem to be under indexed based on population. Seems like the North and Northeast always get the big winners.

I will be the wet blanket in that I’ve come around to believing the lottery is bad for America. I wouldn’t make it illegal but it’s a vice that almost universally hurts everyone involved. And it’s bs that it somehow supports education.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Friday’s Mega Millions jackpot was one the most valuable lottery jackpots ever, according to organizers.

One ticket matched all six numbers — 4, 26, 42, 50, 60, and 24 —necessary to win the estimated $1 billion prize, according to Mega Millions. The yet-to-be-identified winner can choose between long-term payments or a $739.6 million lump-sum payout before taxes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/1-billion-mega-millions-jackpot-has-winner-n1255418

Not Me!

That store is only about an hour from me, but it is not where I bought my tickets.

4 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

It's basically a tax on the poors.

Yup - years ago, I used to work at a gas station/party store, when the lottery first started in Michigan. Anecdotally, we never had someone in a Cadillac take their change in lottery tickets, but lots of people who had were there buying cigs and bread (with food stamps) would take their change in tickets. 
Sure I buy tickets a few times a year, but it is a very regressive tax & here they hype how much money it puts into the schools; and they don't tell you that general funds to schools were decreased by more than the lottery provides to education. 

But it is everyones best chance at becoming a millionaire; I'll wait to buy tickets again until it can make me a deca-millionaire

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

another $5M Austin scratcher winner.

The ticket was bought at EZ Stop No. 2, located at 1200 Kramer Lane, Texas Lottery officials said

also this was a $50 ticket... so thats a big baller buy.... and, its also the LAST grand prize winner for that $50 ticket series.  so uh yeah.... lets not buy that series anymore boys and girls...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

another $5M Austin scratcher winner.

The ticket was bought at EZ Stop No. 2, located at 1200 Kramer Lane, Texas Lottery officials said

also this was a $50 ticket... so thats a big baller buy.... and, its also the LAST grand prize winner for that $50 ticket series.  so uh yeah.... lets not buy that series anymore boys and girls...

I don't know if they do or not, but they should have to remove tickets after the grand prize winning ticket is redeemed. 

5 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I don't know if they do or not, but they should have to remove tickets after the grand prize winning ticket is redeemed. 

Yea they definitely do not do that…. Most don’t know if it’s been won or not and they aren’t going to just trash tickets cause someone won the top prize, plenty others winnings still left.  

22 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Yea they definitely do not do that…. Most don’t know if it’s been won or not and they aren’t going to just trash tickets cause someone won the top prize, plenty others winnings still left.  

Are you sure about that?  Obviously they don’t collect them immediately but I thought they did pull those tickets after the last grand prize was claimed.

18 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Are you sure about that?  Obviously they don’t collect them immediately but I thought they did pull those tickets after the last grand prize was claimed.

It’s looks like once all top prizes are gone they enter pre call announcement, non are in that currently so hard to tell how long that last last but I’m guessing a couple months atleast.  Then once the end date is announced they are still sold for another month in a half.  So far from what they said would happen years ago about them being pulled immediately after all top prizes are gone.  

B1EA3FD9-E58A-47BA-A07D-528DC7588527.png

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 11 months later...

In an effort to commit to transparency, just like in the investing (market going down like whoa) thread and the stonk thread, I wanted to share my lottery numbers with everyone here. That way you can piggyback/bandwagon the Wally effect.

Any way my numbers for my 2 tickets tonight are
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 25
7, 11, 3, 38, 63 and 24

(so if you follow me in the investing threads, you know not to pick any of those numbers)