Westworld Season 2

mackavelli

23 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I always wondered what the physical boundaries of Westworld were like. I guess we are now to believe it is on an island.

After Bernard shot himself in S1E9, who would've rebuilt him? Ford himself?

Didn't Maeve find him in the big warehouse of decommissioned hosts and have Felix revive him?

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

How did Bernard get past the DNA scanner on the door? Is he some higher level host? I’m assuming the purpose of the lock was to keep hosts out.

He was based off a real person, likely using the actual DNA of the real person, maybe slightly altered.

On 4/22/2018 at 11:02 PM, NorthLoop said:

Wait, I got the island part, but I missed the China part. 

There's a scene in this episode where Asian soldiers are arguing with Karl and he says something like "your government ceded all control of this island to Delos."  I thought they might be North Korean, but the internet consensus is that the script on their uniforms was Chinese.

There's a scene in this episode where Asian soldiers are arguing with Karl and he says something like "your government ceded all control of this island to Delos."  I thought they might be North Korean, but the internet consensus is that the script on their uniforms was Chinese.
I watch everything with Closed Captioning on nowadays, and the script said Chinese.

My memory of Season 1 is hazy but don't they mention a prior "incident" led by Delores?  Could the timeline with Bernard, Hemsworth, Delos security guy be the aftermath of the first incident but before most of the action in Season 1?

Maybe this was already mentioned and debunked.

15 hours ago, hornian said:

Side piece in this context meant Theresa, not Elsie. You may have known who I meant, but I think other people were calling Elsie "side piece."

I mean it's pretty easy, linearly, that the Host that was being printed at the end of Season 1 replaced Stubbs and he is now a host in Season 2. And to be clear, I think Stubbs in Season 1 was human. (I'm not 100% on the episode numbers - but you get the idea).

S1E8 -> We see the host being built/printed in Ford's bunker when Theresa and Bernard go down there. Big reveal Bernard is a Host. Bernard kills Theresa. Host is still being printed at end of episode.

S1E9 -> Ford takes away Bernard's memory of Theresa at beginning of episode. Stubbs tells Bernard "Sorry about your loss" and Bernard is like, what, I was just friends with Theresa. So Ford knows Stubbs knew about Ford and Theresa. At the end of the episode Stubbs gets jumped by the Ghost Nation (who don't respond to voice commands), never shows up again in Season 1. We never find out who the host being built/printed was meant to replace.

S1E10 -> Massacre goes down. Stubbs MIA. 

S2E1 -> Stubbs is back "2 weeks" after massacre. The Delos guy makes a comment about the largest loss of life occurring on his watch (even though we know he wasn't actually running the QA response during the massacre). Stubbs doesn't react to that comment the way I would assume most people would if they were getting called out.

I'm just speculating because we got the Chekhov's Gun of an "unregistered" host being printed in S1, and the next Episode Stubbs get's jumped never to be seen again, and then shows up S2E1, that Stubbs in S2 is a Host.

OK yeah that all makes sense.

I thought you were meaning that you were theorizing that Stubbs was a host in season one as well.  What you laid out here makes perfect sense.

9 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

My memory of Season 1 is hazy but don't they mention a prior "incident" led by Delores?  Could the timeline with Bernard, Hemsworth, Delos security guy be the aftermath of the first incident but before most of the action in Season 1?

Maybe this was already mentioned and debunked.

The first season "incident" that took place 30 years prior to the "present" timeline in season one was Delores taking out most (all?) of the other hosts and then killing Arnold. (Which was all arranged by Arnold)

I assume we'll see the aftermath of that this season when young William saves the park with his investment.

The Bernard/Hemsworth stuff is quite clearly much later because Bernard is a host and he's aware that he's a host.

Edited by oSuJeff97

I'm confused about exactly when the events were happening in the scenes after Bernard is found on the beach.

I know we're supposed to assume they are subsequent to the night that the hosts murdered most of the board, but I'm suspecting they actually happened much sooner.

Last season, Bernard mentioned to Elsie that there hadn't been a critical failure in the park in 30 years.  We assumed he was talking about when Dolores murdered all the hosts and Arnold.

But thinking back, that was more than 30 years ago, and I'm not sure Bernard ever knew of that event.  He had no idea about Arnold having been murdered.  Not sure he even knew who Arnold was.  So he may have been referring to a different "critical failure."

Maybe that's what we're seeing.  The fly in the ointment is Stubbs.  He shouldn't have been there so many years ago, unless he's a host.  And if he's not a host, why the hell would he be there after being attacked by the Ghost Nation?

I'm confused.

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

I'm confused about exactly when the events were happening in the scenes after Bernard is found on the beach.

I know we're supposed to assume they are subsequent to the night that the hosts murdered most of the board, but I'm suspecting they actually happened much sooner.

Last season, Bernard mentioned to Elsie that there hadn't been a critical failure in the park in 30 years.  We assumed he was talking about when Dolores murdered all the hosts and Arnold.

But thinking back, that was more than 30 years ago, and I'm not sure Bernard ever knew of that event.  He had no idea about Arnold having been murdered.  Not sure he even knew who Arnold was.  So he may have been referring to a different "critical failure."

Maybe that's what we're seeing.  The fly in the ointment is Stubbs.  He shouldn't have been there so many years ago, unless he's a host.  And if he's not a host, why the hell would he be there after being attacked by the Ghost Nation?

I'm confused.

You confused your self for no reason. The beach scene is after the gala shooting. I believe they said 11 days. They even go walk past all the bodies. 

Put the bong away next week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

You confused your self for no reason. The beach scene is after the gala shooting. I believe they said 11 days. They even go walk past all the bodies. 

Put the bong away next week. 

Ha, wish I had the bong as an excuse.

Yeah I blew that one pretty impressively.

10 hours ago, next2naus said:

Delores told us that Teddy was not going to survive

Did she? I thought she said that he would survive with her. I’m paraphrasing, but I thought she said that they would always be together or something optimistic like that.  But I could have misheard.

That’s why I was surprised by Teddy in the water at first. I thought “well, she can’t tell the future very well even for a robot.”

16 minutes ago, hornian said:

Did she? I thought she said that he would survive with her. I’m paraphrasing, but I thought she said that they would always be together or something optimistic like that.  But I could have misheard.

That’s why I was surprised by Teddy in the water at first. I thought “well, she can’t tell the future very well even for a robot.”

Maybe she was saying they would be together in the end because they’d both be dead? 

17 hours ago, Augustus said:

I'm confused.

The scenes on the beach were in the aftermath of the night the hosts murdered most of the board and whatever guests they could find.  It had been like a week or something (can't remember exactly how long they said it was, but it was definitely mentioned).

No, the 30 years ago "critical failure" *was* 30 years prior to the "present" timeline of season 1, when Dolores killed all of the hosts and Arnold.  Bernard knew who Arnold was because Ford told him about Arnold (and showed him a picture of young Ford and another man (whom Bernard assumed was Arnold, but really he just couldn't see Arnold in the photo). 

Bernard knew about the park failure from 30 years prior, but he may not have known all of the particulars as "he" would have been very young at the time and not working at the park (from his perspective, believing himself to be human).  But as a high-level park employee he would certainly know about it, just as any employee of any company would know about some big company disaster from the past, even if they weren't there or weren't involved. 

The Stubbs thing is irrelevant in terms of questioning the timeline because we know for certain that the beach aftermath is following the the chaos that Ford let loose at the end of season 1.  Recall they later go and see Ford's body for further evidence.  However, the Stubbs question is interesting given that yes, he was attacked by the Ghost Nation and we never saw how that attack/conflict ended.  It's likely that will be addressed this season.

• Like 1

It is also possible they created new bodies for themselves that couldn't be tracked and that were able to leave the park boundaries without exploding.  Then they leave the old ones in the water to get Delos to stop looking for them for a little while at least.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 12:09 AM, Mileslong said:

Unless I’m mistaken, the new security guy is Floki the ship builder from Vikings

Yeah, I kept expecting him to make some cryptic statement about the gods and then giggle to himself like a fucking weirdo.

So might Teddy and Dolores (read: Wyatt) scenes be in the past post-Dolores wipe out of the Hosts and Arnold.  Nope.  Nevermind.  They left those party goers to hang (unless that was this timeline and Dolores was in two timelines last nigh).  I recall Teddy having that history with Wyatt.  In any event.  I'm confused, and that is fine.

Was there any part of Sunday's episode that was in a 30-year old timeline?

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

The scenes on the beach were in the aftermath of the night the hosts murdered most of the board and whatever guests they could find.  It had been like a week or something (can't remember exactly how long they said it was, but it was definitely mentioned).

No, the 30 years ago "critical failure" *was* 30 years prior to the "present" timeline of season 1, when Dolores killed all of the hosts and Arnold.  Bernard knew who Arnold was because Ford told him about Arnold (and showed him a picture of young Ford and another man (whom Bernard assumed was Arnold, but really he just couldn't see Arnold in the photo). 

Bernard knew about the park failure from 30 years prior, but he may not have known all of the particulars as "he" would have been very young at the time and not working at the park (from his perspective, believing himself to be human).  But as a high-level park employee he would certainly know about it, just as any employee of any company would know about some big company disaster from the past, even if they weren't there or weren't involved. 

The Stubbs thing is irrelevant in terms of questioning the timeline because we know for certain that the beach aftermath is following the the chaos that Ford let loose at the end of season 1.  Recall they later go and see Ford's body for further evidence.  However, the Stubbs question is interesting given that yes, he was attacked by the Ghost Nation and we never saw how that attack/conflict ended.  It's likely that will be addressed this season.

But there is a flash back after Bernard is discovered on the beach, correct?  The flashback is post dinner-party massacre--so sometime within the last week or so.  The flash back picks up in the barn and after the rest of the group is killed in the trap (but one guy is allowed to run off) it shows Bernard with the high-up company lady accessing the computer and they learn that help will not be sent until Abernathy is delivered.  So, we don't yet know how Bernard ended up on the beach. 

1 minute ago, HouTex said:

But there is a flash back after Bernard is discovered on the beach, correct?  The flashback is post dinner-party massacre--so sometime within the last week or so.  The flash back picks up in the barn and after the rest of the group is killed in the trap (but one guy is allowed to run off) it shows Bernard with the high-up company lady accessing the computer and they learn that help will not be sent until Abernathy is delivered.  So, we don't yet know how Bernard ended up on the beach. 

Oh yeah agreed about that.  We don't know how he ended up on the beach. 

I was more addressing the previous question that was asking if Bernard on the beach was the "30 years ago" incident referenced in season one.  

15 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Was there any part of Sunday's episode that was in a 30-year old timeline?

It's certainly possible the opening scene that was dialog between Bernard/Arnold and Dolores was in the 30 years ago time frame.  Of course, it could basically also be at any point in the show, lol, depending on whether it was Bernard or Arnold talking.

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

It is also possible they created new bodies for themselves that couldn't be tracked and that were able to leave the park boundaries without exploding.  Then they leave the old ones in the water to get Delos to stop looking for them for a little while at least.

anigif_not-sure-if-serious-gif-to-be-use

You do remember what Maeve had to go through to remove her back bomb, right?

• Fuck You 1

41 minutes ago, Forty Acres said:

Are any of the hosts really dead as long as there is either another host or human who wants to fix them? They have all died countless times already. 

If their IP alone is worth the billions claimed previously, Delos has every incentive to bring them all back online, which the Hosts are counting on.

Maybe the drowning is a metaphorical flourish indicating their souls have been cleansed, and they're now ready to pursue their true calling: a Crusade against humanity.

Edited by bolverk

9 hours ago, kevwun said:

What about the Bernard quote - I killed them.  That and the fact that the water was there and no one knew why the fuck it was.  One theory I heard is that bernard was using that network/web of the hosts to communicate and organize a meeting-point for some kind of plan (when he was tracking Abernathy for board lady).  He didn't know the water was there (or would come) and errbody drowns.

Not saying I buy it, but it's one more theory.

8 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

It's certainly possible the opening scene that was dialog between Bernard/Arnold and Dolores was in the 30 years ago time frame.  Of course, it could basically also be at any point in the show, lol, depending on whether it was Bernard or Arnold talking.

It was Arnold in the opening scene, not Bernard. 

Arnold was then only one to talk to Dolores in the bunker. Bernard only talked to her in the glass rooms in the Mesa. 

Also, Arnold talked to Dolores clothed. Bernard only talked to her in the nude in diagnostic mode.

Finally, Ford said last season he tried to keep Bernard and Dolores apart because of their “history.” 

On 4/25/2018 at 7:58 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

I appreciate your response.  It's all irrelevant obviously because I was so gloriously mistaken, but when I said Bernard didn't know about Arnold, I was referring to his mention of the critical failure in the park before Ford ever told him about Arnold.

And the event in which Dolores killed Arnold was not 30 years ago, but 34.  

And yeah, the Stubbs thing is where I blew it, I forgot they'd traipsed through the aftermath and seen Ford's corpse.

I don't know if they'll ever explore this, but the hosts don't really need a particular body, or any body at all for that matter.  Their consciousness resides in their code, presumably housed in the hardware removed from their "brains."

A disembodied mind is a fascinating thing to me, though I doubt they'll do anything with that notion.

5 hours ago, Augustus said:

I don't know if they'll ever explore this, but the hosts don't really need a particular body, or any body at all for that matter.  Their consciousness resides in their code, presumably housed in the hardware removed from their "brains."

A disembodied mind is a fascinating thing to me, though I doubt they'll do anything with that notion.

Yes, at this point I think 2 weeks later Bernard is either teddy or delores in Bernard's body.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 6:12 AM, CooterBrown said:

How did Bernard get past the DNA scanner on the door? Is he some higher level host? I’m assuming the purpose of the lock was to keep hosts out.

Another possibility is that the lock logs visitors to the room so the drone hosts don't mess with them? Doesn't answer the Bernard having DNA piece... 

The wife caught something in episode 2 that I missed - Dolores was going to be the bait for Logan, instead it was Angela (the host played by Talulah Riley - I had to look up her character’s name). If Bernard hadn’t told young Ford she wasn’t ready it would have been her. 

And now we know this season has at least 3 timelines:

Timeline 1 - Shows how Logan got suckered into investing, young William telling his father in law about spying on guests, and young William building a “weapon” in the park. Oh, and they seem to take the hosts out of the park for fun.  

Timeline 2 - Dolores is running rampant immediately post party massacre. Old Man In Black William is playing Robert’s game. They are both heading for the “weapon.” Charlotte Hale and Bernard are looking for Abernathy. And Maeve is looking for her Daughter with Hector and Sizemore. 

Timeline 3 - 11 days post massacre, Delos is on the Island and most of the hosts are dead in a lake/sea that shouldn’t be there - I’m assuming it’s the aftermath of the “weapon” being used. 

Edited by hornian

4 minutes ago, Tailleur17 said:

Any thoughts on what the “weapon” might be? 

I'm not feeling especially creative right now and will guess the terraforming machines and their ability to fuck shit up. Set those loose on a city and watch the world burn, but that seems too obvious.