Westworld Season 2

mackavelli

Yeah, Abernathy has all of the code of how to make the hosts uploaded into his hard drive brain.  No one else in this world has the technology of what's in the park.  Robert & Arnold never shared it with anyone in the outside world.  That's why Charlotte is doing anything she can to get it out.  Speaking of Charlotte, at the beginning of this ep it was said that Abernathy wasn't with her anymore? I guess somewhere in the next 11ish days she loses him?  Good.  I hope Bernard jacked with the code somehow.

4 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

One of the really interesting aspects of this show is that they've made certain hosts sympathetic characters, whereas most of the humans are fairly unlikable. In every other man vs. machine movie or TV show, we automatically root for the humans. In this case, I'm conflicted as a viewer, but I'm currently pulling like hell for Dolores and Maeve.

I hate both those characters, Maeve a little less so. 

12 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I got a kick out of Scott Pollard as The Most Compassionate Outlaw in the West. 

Yeah  that was good stuff.  The words and delivery did not match at all, in line with the change in personality programming but not other parts of his set-up.  Great job of acting by him.

I read a theory this am that what is in Abernathy is not necessarily the data, but actually the consciousness of James Delos  That is why the pic of his daughter short-circuited him in season 1.  

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-westworld-mystery-that-started-it-all-may-finally-be-solved_us_5aec54cce4b0ab5c3d64ae5a

Would make sense why the Delos corp wants that data, since the upload and transfer capabilities could make humans immortal. They could sell immortality.

1 hour ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I read a theory this am that what is in Abernathy is not necessarily the data, but actually the consciousness of James Delos  That is why the pic of his daughter short-circuited him in season 1.  

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-westworld-mystery-that-started-it-all-may-finally-be-solved_us_5aec54cce4b0ab5c3d64ae5a

Would make sense why the Delos corp wants that data, since the upload and transfer capabilities could make humans immortal. They could sell immortality.

I’m very much in the camp that William’s pitch to Delos was selling immortality. 

As evidenced by two bits from the party. 

William: everything is progressing, you’ll just have to be patient. 

Delos (between trying to repress coughs): yea well some of us can afford a little more patience than others. 

And then later in the evening Logan talking to Dolores: May their forever be blissfully short. 

She seems to be derailed by Abernathy now, but what was Delores's plan initially. I get wanting to take over an army and head towards "the door" but then she immediately used the army as bait and then executed any survivors. What purpose did those executions serve? 

I think what is being said is that Delos was uploaded to Abernathy, after he was decommissioned, so that his consciousness and the plans for the hosts could be smuggled out.

As for Delores plan with the dead army, maybe just a smokescreen to delay any further troops from pursuing her. I think her ultimate goal is to be the only one of a very few  hosts left standing, with her in charge, like the humans were to her. Of course, she has not had her stats boosted to the max, like Maeve had done to herself.

6 hours ago, RTF Horn said:

Yeah, Abernathy has all of the code of how to make the hosts uploaded into his hard drive brain.  No one else in this world has the technology of what's in the park.  Robert & Arnold never shared it with anyone in the outside world.  That's why Charlotte is doing anything she can to get it out.  Speaking of Charlotte, at the beginning of this ep it was said that Abernathy wasn't with her anymore? I guess somewhere in the next 11ish days she loses him?  Good.  I hope Bernard jacked with the code somehow.

I think Bernard took all of that info out of Abernathy and put it in himself.  I think in the compound when Charlotte see Bernard, they don't use Abernathy's name, just that they are still searching for "it".  Perhaps they get Abernathy back and there is nothing on him anymore.  Would explain why Bernard was glitchy again.

7 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I think Bernard took all of that info out of Abernathy and put it in himself.  I think in the compound when Charlotte see Bernard, they don't use Abernathy's name, just that they are still searching for "it".  Perhaps they get Abernathy back and there is nothing on him anymore.  Would explain why Bernard was glitchy again.

Maybe but I am not sure. I think he may have just unloaded the data onto his tablet. He is likely still glitchy because he did not fix the issue of his damaged cortex, he just did a temporary patch. Like putting air in a flat tire but not patching the leak.

In India wold the 2 guests that fucked mentioned that the park really tried to keep the guests separate from each other, but in WW I think guests are  all over the place like in the saloon for example...there has to be a ton of interaction between guests. Why would the staff care? To avoid any potential issues between them I guess? 

And Delores in that white dress was stunning 

So I don't know if we are spoilering theories at this point, but I will just in case... thought this one was pretty cool/interesting:

Spoiler

The theory is that the Ghost Nation are actually saving humans.... that somehow Elsie re-programmed them at some point (that we may see since the actress who plays her is making an appearance this year).  This would explain why Stubbs shows up later/is still alive after being "attacked" by the Ghost Nation... then there was the scene last night when the Ghost Nation said they wanted Lee... who was the only human in the group... and then we see them approach the woman who was attacked by the tiger but we don't see the aftermath.

Who knows... but it sounds like a cool idea. :)

Good link. Was wondering why anyone would want to go to a Raj world. Extinct animals in the future is a logical reason.

Nice attention to detail by the writers.

Also interesting that shogun world is for the more bloodthirsty psychos out there.

This show is what Lost should have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Tailleur17 said:

I’m sure we’ve covered this but what is the reasoning for humans being able to be hurt by the hosts in the future timeline. 

Bernard said “Ford programmed the system to read humans as hosts,” i.e. weapons/hosts can now hurt them. 

Do yinz think the interaction between el lazo and William were pre-programmed by Ford or do you think he has uploaded his consciousness to a host/network and is interacting with William in real time?

3 hours ago, heso said:

Do yinz think the interaction between el lazo and William were pre-programmed by Ford or do you think he has uploaded his consciousness to a host/network and is interacting with William in real time?

We know he uploaded to the kid, maybe made several copies of that kid. Don;t think he uploaded into that dude, he was just part of most of William's previous adventures, so William has a familiarity with how he will react to any given situation.

18 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Was wondering why anyone would want to go to a Raj world. Extinct animals in the future is a logical reason.

I'd also assume it might play to English rich folks so they could relive their colonialist days.  I had that thought on Sunday and then I went to, "...wait, what if one of the parks is a Southern plantation?"  The parks seem to go to our society's base desires - fucking & killing without repercussions.  What if enslavement is part of it too?  I dunno, pretty fucked up to think about.

2 minutes ago, RTF Horn said:

I'd also assume it might play to English rich folks so they could relive their colonialist days.  I had that thought on Sunday and then I went to, "...wait, what if one of the parks is a Southern plantation?"  The parks seem to go to our society's base desires - fucking & killing without repercussions.  What if enslavement is part of it too?  I dunno, pretty fucked up to think about.

Now imagine the slaves are white.

15 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Finally catching up. This season is not as cool as last season thus far. Hope it gets trippy and mind-fucky again and not two chicks trying to be Betty Badasses for an entire season.

I don't think you're watching the same show as the rest of us

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bamachine said:

We know he uploaded to the kid, maybe made several copies of that kid. Don;t think he uploaded into that dude, he was just part of most of William's previous adventures, so William has a familiarity with how he will react to any given situation.

I don't think so. That kid is just another programmed host (though sentimental to Ford). 

I get frustrated with people constantly talking about "X had their consciousness uploaded to Y host". Has there been a single bit of evidence that the technology even exists to do that in this universe? 

15 minutes ago, seven said:

I don't think so. That kid is just another programmed host (though sentimental to Ford). 

I get frustrated with people constantly talking about "X had their consciousness uploaded to Y host". Has there been a single bit of evidence that the technology even exists to do that in this universe? 

He was speaking with both his own voice and an overlay of Ford's voice. Don't know if he was totally uploaded into the kid but he did have his voice uploaded, at least. Go back and rewatch that scene. That kid was also modeled after Ford as a child.

Edited by bamachine

Yeah I know that, I just think you're really reading into it. The kid was programed to start the mib on the new game, that's it. We know with bernard/arnold that voice matching doesn't appear to be a barrier. 

• Like 2

Yeah I know that, I just think you're really reading into it. The kid was programed to start the mib on the new game, that's it. We know with bernard/arnold that voice matching doesn't appear to be a barrier. 

This. I can see a True Detective S1 like let down at the end. Lots of theories and speculation going on.

2 hours ago, seven said:

I am not saying it is a carbon copy of him. Just that he could have uploaded key memories of his and programmed some hosts to act in the same fashion as he would have done. Even Bernard is not really Bernard, otherwise he would have known about the past of the original.

2 hours ago, seven said:

We haven’t seen any direct evidence of it. But the several lines of dialogue from Delos’ retirement party between William and Delos as well as Logan to Dolores. 

Also this question from the personality assessment on the West world website last season: 

You were in a car accident and unfortunately there is nothing left in the wreckage. Luckily you planned ahead and had your entire anatomy measured and mapped, and all of your memories logged and saved. An exact replica is constructed from all this information - is this you?

The rest of the questions from the assessment:

Begin Assessment

In order to ensure your park experience is truly transformative, we'd like to know more about you. Please take a moment to complete our brief individuation assessment. Your answers will be kept in strict confidence.

Do you have a pre-existing heart condition?

• Yes
  • No

Do you have a history of mental illness?

• Yes
  • No

Any history of panic attacks?

• Yes
  • No

What are your hands doing in your primary social media profile picture?

• Touching someone
  • Waving
  • Holding something
  • Hands not pictured

If you had to lose a finger, which would you cut off?

• Thumb
  • Index
  • Middle
  • Ring
  • Pinky

The red color symbolizes:

• Passion
  • Regret
  • Anger
  • Love

Which best describes you?

• Horse
  • Wolf
  • Fish
  • Fly

_________ is sexy.

• Efficiency
  • Suspense
  • Submission
  • Power

You are in a sinking lifeboat with nine other people. You can stay and try to save the entire group or save yourself immediately by swimming to a safe boat alone. What do you do?

• Stay
  • Leave

People ___________ you.

• Underestimate
  • Follow
  • Believe
  • Resent

Would you rather die in a...?

• Fire
  • Hurricane
  • Earthquake
  • Tornado

If an artist were drawing your portrait, which would you prefer she use?

• Pencil
  • Charcoals
  • Ink
  • Oil paints

There is one true love for everyone.

• True
  • False

Ideal locale?

• Tropical beach
  • Mountain village
  • Picturesque desert
  • Seaside resort

People are by nature selfish at core, corruption comes from within.

• True
  • False
  • I don't know

I like to push myself outside my comfort zone.

• Often
  • Sometimes
  • Rarely
  • Never

If someone told you that you could halve the world’s population by pressing a button, and that would alleviate most of the world’s poverty, would you do it?

• Yes
  • No

Society must have clear structure or it descends into chaos.

• True
  • False
  • A little chaos never hurt anybody

You were in a car accident and unfortunately there is nothing left in the wreckage. Luckily you planned ahead and had your entire anatomy measured and mapped, and all of your memories logged and saved. An exact replica is constructed from all this information - is this you?

• Yes
  • No

Do you believe in a higher power?

• Yes
  • No
  • I don't know

18 hours ago, heso said:

If someone told you that you could halve the world’s population by pressing a button, and that would alleviate most of the world’s poverty, would you do it?

• Yes
  • No

No Avengers Spoilers! Sheesh!

Edited by hornian

I still don’t understand why William said the same line as Dolores during different timelines 

Have you ever seen anything so full of Splendor?

Delores said it when Arnold was still testing Delores and took her to the big city. She was supposed to meet and bang Logan to get his investment but Tallulah Riley took her place. 

William said it to Delores years later after he supposedly fell in love with her, then realized that wasn’t real, then moved on etc. 

Did William read through her code or something? 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I still don’t understand why William said the same line as Dolores during different timelines 

Delores said it when Arnold was still testing Delores and took her to the big city. She was supposed to meet and bang Logan to get his investment but Tallulah Riley took her place. 

William said it to Delores years later after he supposedly fell in love with her, then realized that wasn’t real, then moved on etc. 

Did William read through her code or something? 

Possibly or it is quite possible she used that line on him, soon after they first met.

No kidding, these women are perfect.  There's a saying "Men love women for who they are, women love men for who they can be.  But women change and men stay the same."

These women (until this reprogramming) don't change.  It's the same woman every day.  Perfect.

Guest Lobo

India tiger huntress really reminded me of Theresa Cullen from Season.  I thought it was a timeline play to get us to think that was how she came to Delos Corp. in the first place.  Not just the way she looked, but her slightly trans-Atlantic manner of speaking.  The way she held her cigarette.  The way she literally went to extremes to test the humanity of her sex-mate, something she obviously never bothered with in regards to Bernard.  But I was wrong based on the bengal timeline.  Bernard still happens upon her soon just the same...

Season is off to a good start.  With the progress of the first two episodes, I suspect we'll have a lot of filler/flashbacks.