2018-19 PGA Tour

Wally Fairway

13 hours ago, Lurch said:

Phil is pretty pissed he couldn’t convince Paul to play out

13 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

I really wanted to see Phil play 18 in the dark

12 hours ago, pops said:

And he 100% would have. It would have been awesome. I don't blame Casey for wanting to quit, but still.  

Yeah, I get Phil wanting to play, but Paul has much more on the line as he could get to sole 2nd, and he & his partner have a 1 stroke lead in the Pro-Am event.
Phil was just hoping to catch his flight out, rather than extending his stay.
If they close the course until the event is finished (not sure how the settle the Pro-Am if there is a tie, or if Phil throws a couple in the ocean and ends up tied), then the people who had tee times this morning are really screwed.

Kuchar broke a four-year victory drought in November, winning in Mexico with local caddie David “El Tucan” Ortiz on the bag in place of his normal looper, John Wood. Ortiz spoke this week to Golf.com and explained that, after Kuchar took home a winner’s check for $1.296 million, he received only $5,000 for his services.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/matt-kuchar-defends-decision-pay-caddie-5k-after-mayakoba-win?utm-tags=golf1304000

this does not seem cool.

It’s weird. Kooch made the guy an offer ($4k) before the tourney and he took it. The 10% tradition certainly doesn’t make sense here, but $5k is very light. My original assumption was that some payments were under the table, but that doesn’t seem reasonable now that the caddy is talking about it.

It’s weird. Kooch made the guy an offer ($4k) before the tourney and he took it. The 10% tradition certainly doesn’t make sense here, but $5k is very light. My original assumption was that some payments were under the table, but that doesn’t seem reasonable now that the caddy is talking about it.
I would never argue that this caddie should get the normal 10% since he isn't taking on all the other responsibilities of a normal caddie, but $5,000 is pretty insulting. I think a fair amount would have been between $30,000 and $50,000. And I don't think it would have been a story if he gave him $20,000 originally, instead of trying to add the $15,000 on after the fact.

I would never argue that this caddie should get the normal 10% since he isn't taking on all the other responsibilities of a normal caddie, but $5,000 is pretty insulting. I think a fair amount would have been between $30,000 and $50,000. And I don't think it would have been a story if he gave him $20,000 originally, instead of trying to add the $15,000 on after the fact.

Is it insulting if the guy agreed to $4k, though?

It was a story a few weeks ago, which is why someone went back w $15k more in the first place.

He definitely did not owe a full 10%.  The caddie should have taken the $15k.  Using the media to try to shame Kuch into giving more money is a BS move.  

Kuch should have thrown in more than an extra $1k from the get go, but the $50k the guy is asking for is excessive.  IMO, Kuch's biggest mistake may be this quote: “For a guy who makes $200 a day, a $5,000 week is a really big week.”  It implies he was right to pay him less because the guy is poor.  Now, even if Kuch was in the right, he still looks like an asshole.  

Is it insulting if the guy agreed to $4k, though?

It was a story a few weeks ago, which is why someone went back w $15k more in the first place.

I still find it insulting as I'm far more generous with tipping than most people, but that is my opinion. Kuchar is cheap, but that is his choice to make. I just don't think it is a good look for him from a PR perspective... Especially with some of the recent quotes he made.
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, UTHornFan014 said:

I still find it insulting as I'm far more generous with tipping than most people, but that is my opinion. Kuchar is cheap, but that is his choice to make. I just don't think it is a good look for him from a PR perspective... Especially with some of the recent quotes he made.

This. Which is why I made the comment about his sponsors. Just give the guy $50k and you get great PR. Instead you sound like a prick. You’ve made almost $50 million in prize money alone so open up the wallet a bit when you can literally change a guys life. 

4 hours ago, smwhorn said:

Hilarious how he counts it after he's done.  Just like an amateur counting up to 6 or 7.  Ultimately that score won't count though, PGA tour has canceled all holes played earlier and started fresh just a few minutes ago.

20 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

He definitely did not owe a full 10%.  The caddie should have taken the $15k.  Using the media to try to shame Kuch into giving more money is a BS move.  

Kuch should have thrown in more than an extra $1k from the get go, but the $50k the guy is asking for is excessive.  IMO, Kuch's biggest mistake may be this quote: “For a guy who makes $200 a day, a $5,000 week is a really big week.”  It implies he was right to pay him less because the guy is poor.  Now, even if Kuch was in the right, he still looks like an asshole.  

Some jobs pay low normally but have occasional large paydays.  For example, if you play in a large poker tournament and come in near the top, you're expected to be the one(s) that tip big for the dealers.  In some ways, you're covering the tips for all of the players who lost.    Its extremely bad form to win 100K, and toss $100 to the dealers.   If the 100 participants had all tossed in $100, it would have been fine.  But odds are none of them did that.  It's up to you as the winner to take care of them.  And it can suck if you really need/want  the full winning amount.

The biggest mistake would seem that a golfer and caddie, even a temp, should be clear on the payouts if the golfer comes in near or at the top.  Maybe they worry about that being bad luck, or perhaps they both think that is unlikely.  It's still better to be clear upfront.

Its also lame that Kuchar said he thought the issue had been resolved when the caddie turned down the 15K.  Dude, if you offer someone triple their pay and they say no, it's not resolved.  There's a problem and you need to help resolve it.

• Like 1

Anyway you look at it, it’s a cheap ahole move to only give that guy 5k. Kicker has made like 47 million in his career and almost 2 million for that tourney alone and he gives the guy 5k in mixed bills, it’s like cash he had handy in his wallet.

Kuchar could have been a hero and changed that family’s life forever instead he becomes a cheap asshole. The fact the guy turned downed the later offer of 15k showed it was more than about the money to him. I bet Kucher would have taken that 15k from the caddie if offered.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

This. Which is why I made the comment about his sponsors. Just give the guy $50k and you get great PR. Instead you sound like a prick. You’ve made almost $50 million in prize money alone so open up the wallet a bit when you can literally change a guys life. 

Yeah, normal caddy often gets 10% on a victory.  Part-time caddy not there all season so reduced payout makes sense.... but $5K when Kuch won almost $1.3 mill is a terrible look.

$50k would be a generous bonus, but with Kuchar's sponsors (Skechers), a $50k bonus seems warranted for the part-time caddy.

Couple more critical articles today.....

https://nypost.com/2019/02/15/golf-world-turning-against-matt-kuchar-biggest-phony-out-there/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/15/sports/golf/matt-kuchar-caddie-check.html

NYtimes quote: "In a typical PGA Tour arrangement, a caddie gets a flat rate of $1,500 for the tournament, which helps cover expenses, and a bonus worth 10 percent of the golfer’s winnings. "

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Based on what I've read, the temp caddie had a deal to receive more than a normal caddie's weekly rate.  which can make sense because you normally pay a temp (fill in the job title) more than a normal employee because you're also buying the luxury of not committing to someone long term.    

But does that rule carry over to a percentage of the winning?  It would seem there has to be some norm or unwritten rule of how to handle the situation.  And Kuchar and the caddie would both be aware of that rule.  Obviously they're both interpreting it differently.