Does anybody buy used CDs?

C-Man

Hell, I might've posted this exact same thing on Surly or over at the scat site but I'm getting old and don't remember what all was discussed if I did. Anyway, I have well over 500 CDs that are in boxes in the garage that Mrs. C-Man wants to put out on the curb for bulk trash. Seems like a waste to me. There are a few -- box sets and all -- that I plan to keep but the rest are burned in iTunes and I'm on Spotify so they seem extraneous. Is anybody in Dallas or surrounding 'burbs buying these anymore? Googled and see there's some online resources but the sheer amount of what I've got seems like that's just too much goddamn work.

tenor.gif?itemid=4421105

2 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Are they genre-specific? I'd it's old metal or jazz or something peculiar they might bring you some cash on discogs. If we're talking journey's greatest hits, just donate them and take the tax deduction.

well f you too man.  the fuck is wrong with journey's greatest hits?

I've got well over 500. But I actually do use them for two things 1) doing my community radio show (using cds with multiple players makes for cleaner transitions between songs), 2) loan them to friends whose cars have cd players and they don't feel like fucking with bluetooth/usb/whatnot.

That said, I'll sell you all my cds (except my autographed ones) for $100. Tons of good shit, boxed sets, rarities, etc.

7 hours ago, Grandioso said:

I've got well over 500. But I actually do use them for two things 1) doing my community radio show (using cds with multiple players makes for cleaner transitions between songs), 2) loan them to friends whose cars have cd players and they don't feel like fucking with bluetooth/usb/whatnot.

That said, I'll sell you all my cds (except my autographed ones) for $100. Tons of good shit, boxed sets, rarities, etc.

PM me a list of your box sets, rarities and good shit!

9 hours ago, Grandioso said:

$100. sold.

I have a shitload, too. I never listen to them. But I won't get rid of them.

If you toss the cases and put the discs in a CD book they don't take up all that much space. I wouldn't do that, either.

You can nuke them in the microwave for a few seconds and they spark up and it's kinda cool. Then they look kinda of pretty. You can then tie string to them and make Christmas decorations. It may jack with your microwave, though.

Shit, I'm still trying to find a decent home for the few VHS tapes I have left from my old stash.

Ok, I'm going to start sorting through this to pull stuff like my autographed Mastodon CD and also empty jewel cases where I lost the CDs. 

Then, I'll make an inventory. Pricing will be $0.10 to $1.00 per CD. Double albums or anything that comes in one sleeve will count is one CD. 

This is going to be so boring and unprofitable.

2 hours ago, Grandioso said:

Ok, I'm going to start sorting through this to pull stuff like my autographed Mastodon CD and also empty jewel cases where I lost the CDs. 

Then, I'll make an inventory. Pricing will be $0.10 to $1.00 per CD. Double albums or anything that comes in one sleeve will count is one CD. 

You offered the lot for $100 and NOMAAA took you up on your offer. Are you not going to honor that? 

32 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You offered the lot for $100 and NOMAAA took you up on your offer. Are you not going to honor that? 

Yeah, I was kinda tounge in cheek but it's the right thing to do. But I'm still keeping my signed CDs. Some of this shit he may not want also, if that's the case, we just knock it off the $100 pro rata or do something fair.

When I started going through them I couldn't help but feel like all of this precious music will be lost forever and I keep going back to the the whole sunk cost fallacy (uh, you paid thousands of dollars for these and accumulated them over decades and now you're selling them all for $100? The cost of about 3-4 nice vinyl LPs? This is crazy, hold on to this "investment"), but my logic brain reminds me, dude 1) all the music in the universe is in "the magic internet cloud" for costs ranging from 100% free to $10/month, 2) the CDs have been sitting in some cabinets for years doing nothing, and 3) vinyl is superior to most digital file formats (IMO) and 100% superior to all CDs anyways.

Not gonna renege. Tell me when you want to come get this shit or where to ship it. Thank you for being my conscience WTB.

4 hours ago, Grandioso said:

Yeah, I was kinda tounge in cheek but it's the right thing to do. But I'm still keeping my signed CDs. Some of this shit he may not want also, if that's the case, we just knock it off the $100 pro rata or do something fair.

When I started going through them I couldn't help but feel like all of this precious music will be lost forever and I keep going back to the the whole sunk cost fallacy (uh, you paid thousands of dollars for these and accumulated them over decades and now you're selling them all for $100? The cost of about 3-4 nice vinyl LPs? This is crazy, hold on to this "investment"), but my logic brain reminds me, dude 1) all the music in the universe is in "the magic internet cloud" for costs ranging from 100% free to $10/month, 2) the CDs have been sitting in some cabinets for years doing nothing, and 3) vinyl is superior to most digital file formats (IMO) and 100% superior to all CDs anyways.

Not gonna renege. Tell me when you want to come get this shit or where to ship it. Thank you for being my conscience WTB.

ok you can keep them.

Ok, I did a complete inventory of my collection. I do not have "well over 500" cds, but 351. However, I did not include box sets individually. E.g., the Grateful Dead set I have is 10-albums, Velvet Undeground is 4 albums and bonus disc, etc.

Going to see if this works. Obviously, you have to click to zoom.

BWasPRCA_o.jpg

Click it and it will show up in a black window on surly, then click again and it takes you to the image hosting site I use and you can zoom to read.

Edited by Grandioso

On 10/3/2018 at 2:04 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

I have an autographed copy of Umphrey's McGee's 2002 release Local Band Does O.K.

I doubt I could sell it for cost.

I have a couple of rare King's X import/promo CDs I payed over $50 for many years ago. They're probably worth 50 cents.

On 10/2/2018 at 10:12 PM, Grandioso said:

PM sent about a few of your CDs if your are still planning on selling.