Let's talk matchups vs. OU

this

On 10/2/2018 at 4:54 PM, closetojumping said:

I like a lot of our match-ups, having seen OU 3 times this season. The okie above is correct - the OU defense sucks. It's not average, it is bad. The secondary is really fucking bad. 

That considered, I worry about two key match-ups. 

1) Brown vs Locke - Locke is basically incompetent when isolated in coverage in the passing game. Brown is about as electric as we'll see this year. I expect him to score at least once if Locke winds up having to deal with him.

2) Lamb vs Boyd - We all know that Boyd will shit himself with stupidity on at least one play in each game, and Lamb is an elite talent. I expect Lamb to score at least once as well. 

I'm not worried about the Kyler Murray, dual-threat aspect in this game. Orlando seems to prepare his plans to account for specific QB capabilities, whatever they may be. We run into trouble when the QB the defense has prepared for goes down or gets subbed. We've seen this with Maryland and both years with KSU. We clearly prepared for Delton, and then had trouble accounting for Thompson last week. In 2017, we witnessed the opposite. 

Herman and crew need to come out expecting to score more than 30. You guys can talk ball control, and I get it up to a point, but thinking that OU isn't going to put up somewhere between 28 and 42 seems silly. Texas can't turtle on the game if we get the lead. 

We need Ehlinger to play an excellent game. If he's accurate and mentally competent, that will be huge. If he shows up as though this is the first time he's seen a football field, it really doesn't matter what everyone else does, we're struggling to win in that event. 

Yeah. Fucking Locke.