Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Peanut coleslaw sounds disgusting, and then I start to think about it and I’m very intrigued. Gonna need someone to investigate this sorcery

I’ve made vinegar Cole slaw with hot spicy peanuts and I likes it. I chop a bit and add only when served, don’t want them to sog out. I also like it with blue cheese and pecans, or with blueberries.

1 hour ago, Dr Fear said:

Reata could also be moving to the Crescent hotel/retail/whatever project by Eddie V's and World of Beer.

That would be a baller move for crescent. Got a guy involved there. Will let y’all know as soon as he can let news fly. 

Reata is good. Reata is not worth what they charge, and they’re definitely not half as good as they think they are. Move the fuck out and bring back 8.0’s

Reata was so fucking great when it opened on top of the bank. Grady Spears could really cook back before the tornado and all his demons took over. He has cooked some of the best meals I ever ate and some of the sorriest shit I’ve ever been served. Can’t believe he keeps getting investors after fucking so many over.

Anyway I took tons of out of town clients to Reata at the current place because they loved it. So Texasy. Calf fries! Fancy tamales! Steak! Spicy! Chicken fried steak! It’s nowhere near as good as it was back then.

I have to say those tenderloin tamales with that pecan mash and the CFS was a fantastic meal.
  • Like 1

Aside from a dance convention or two, and seeing Santa a couple times I don’t think I’ve even been downtown in the last decade.

You ain’t missing much, but Wicked Butcher is solid and afterwards a dabble at Thompson’s and then hangover breakfast at Jake’s is nice. But you’re only 15 miles from there and I’m 45 so I can understand your aversion. Especially with Fire Oak and Boo Ray’s in your general vicinity.

Yeah, that’ll do it. 

"There was a valet parking system where it was free to the guests. The restaurant paid initially $3 a car, then $4 a car. Now, the new management wanted to charge $7 every 30 minutes, $21 max, plus fees. And that's something that we as Reata could not support. We can't support that. You have to realize our lunch price point is only $20. Our dinner price point is right around $50. If you're having to pay that much for a person to park, you're no longer in business," Micallef said.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/reata-restaurant-ready-to-pull-up-stakes-and-leave-sundance-square/2927663/

6 hours ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

I just don't get Sasha's end game.  WTF is she trying to create in Sundance?

I was a Sundance regular when I was in FW in the late 90s/early 00s.  I know Sasha is Ed's relatively-new wife - what specifically changed to make her to blame for all this?

5 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

I was a Sundance regular when I was in FW in the late 90s/early 00s.  I know Sasha is Ed's relatively-new wife - what specifically changed to make her to blame for all this?

She is running Sundance Inc. (maybe not in title).  She doesn't hide the fact that she is behind the changes. 

I've heard of some issues between the brothers that isn't helping the situation.  The fact one Bass owns the parking and another owns the buildings is an example of that. 

1 hour ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

WFAA Sundance Article

I'm shocked some people would go on record .

With Reata putting all this out there with a press conference, I would say that the dam has broken.  The stuff about tenants not getting phone calls returned is just crazy.  Can anyone give any more insight to the foreclosure stuff that Fort Worth Confidential is talking about?

Wfaa mentions it but not only is Sundance under duress internally, there’s significant external competition as well between stockyard development, southside both with main corridor and magnolia, throw on west 7th, and clearfork. I don’t disagree with the “there’s A LOT of money in FW” but that money is very concentrated and skews elderly IMO, to the point where the core FW population can’t come close to supporting all of the biz. Stockyards gets a pass bc tourism.

Sprinkling in FW’s inability to attract a white collar employer with a pulse to backfill pier 1, RadioShack, & xto all while Dallas and the northern burbs crushed the great biz relocation the last decade. Not great bob. Distribution warehouses by alliance paying employees $20/hr ain’t gonna cut it. 

And panther island says hello 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/30/2022 at 2:22 PM, sasquatch69 said:

I knew Ed's former wife, Vickie, who was seen and not heard outside of the stock show parade every year.  The Kraken he yoked up with in her place is ruining Sundance Square with a quickness.  Sad to see the downtown that was so vibrant in the 90's beginning to look like the one from the 60's with vacant buildings and no sign of interest from tenants.

53 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Wonder what Library looks like on a weekend night now? ESL? 

Purely on tabc the library is holding ok compared to pre covid. Flying saucer and Razzoos both down 40% vs pre covid. Meanwhile stockyard staples are crushing it, up about 40% from the few I looked at. 

The WFAA article had a quote regarding large weekly concerts and restaurant open houses.  At one time when I worked for Caravan of Dreams, the outside concert promotion company owned by Bass would put on parking lot concerts with name bands and the restaurants would have food concessions.  The crowds did come as a result of this effort, but after the turn of the century, these vanished for the most part.  I can't recall the last time there was a live concert in Sundance Square outside of an occasional perfomance at Main Street. 

We’ve only lived in FW for about 5 years but we enjoyed going downtown pre-Covid. Among our regular places were Del Frisco’s, Del Frisco’s Grille, Bird Cafe, Grace, Taverna, Reata’s rooftop for drinks, Flying Saucer, AMC for a movie, Scat Jazz, or late night drinks at Thompson’s.

In the last couple of years, it just seems like a ghost town whenever we are down there. Bird Cafe and Taverna have both closed, lots of shops have closed. We attributed that to Covid but maybe a lot of it is the management.

Hopefully someone gets it figured out. Having an active downtown makes the city feel more vibrant.

I blame @TornACL for this too. 

Dayne’s Craft Barbecue, a Texas Monthly top-50 in the state, is facing an uncertain future and losing its location with the move of Lola’s Trailer Park, Dayne Weaver said Saturday.

Fort Worth Weekly reported Friday that Lola’s Saloon and Trailer Park, 2735 W. Fifth St., will move to 2000 W. Berry St. near Paschal High School, in part because of the same parking and nuisance problems that drove nearby Fred’s to move out of the same West 7th neighborhood.

Weaver said through a staffer Saturday that Dayne’s future has not been determined.

Dayne’s, known for both barbecue and burgers, was ranked in the magazine’s Top 50 in the same 2021 issue where Goldee’s Barbecue south of Kennedale was ranked No. 1.

The current location is open for lunch only Fridays through Sundays.

Coincidentally, Dayne’s began as a pop-up in the same West Berry Street location. But he has hinted at moving to a full-size restaurant.

il modo or al dente any good downtown? Need a restaurant in that area for double date, preferably chill/not having to yell across the table. Doesn’t have to be Italian, but red wasp is meh and the steakhouses are overkill $ wise.