Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Learned a valuable yet painfully expensive lesson just a moment ago.  Ate breakfast at Dixie House on Hulen and the wife reminded that we needed to get a pie for the New Year meal we are serving with friends tomorrow.  The chocolate pie in the case looked promising, so had that added to breakfast bill.  The total was $92.07, which seemed a little steep, so I asked for a receipt.  Turns out, the pie was $39.00 . The prices for a whole pie are not posted and for good reason.  Moral of the story, COSTCO is your friend and doesn't have desserts for *$&%^#^#%@%%$^ dollars!law and order crazy shit GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Varsity has entered the Portal...

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/article270804167.html

Spoiler

A sports bar in the West 7th entertainment district seems to have gone out of business, according to posts on social media. Varsity Tavern, located at 1005 Norwood St., remained closed during its regularly scheduled business hours Wednesday and photos circulating on social media earlier in the week appeared to show an email to Varsity Tavern employees saying the establishment would permanently close Jan. 2 and instructing employees where to pick up their final paychecks. The bar’s owners could not be reached for comment. Varsity hosted a New Year’s Eve extravaganza on Saturday, according to a Facebook post, and appears to have been open Sunday as well.

According to the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission, Varsity’s liquor permit was still active as of Tuesday afternoon. Varsity has been penalized four times since it opened in 2016 for selling alcoholic beverages to minors and once in March for selling an alcoholic beverage to an intoxicated person, according to TABC records. The business has paid a total of $4,800 in penalties. The establishment was the site of a shooting in May, when a gunman fired into a crowd outside and injured two people. Since November 2021 there have been at least four assaults and one unlawful possession of a weapon reported at the Varsity Tavern address, according to police records.

A federal lawsuit was also filed against Varsity Tavern in March 2020 alleging that the bar refused to serve a Black man.

I know it was mentioned above in the Grady Spears post, but we went to Fort Brewery for brunch on Saturday inbetween MTB rides. Brunch (chilaquiles) and beer were both stellar, and the vibe was great. I’m not in FW nearly as often as I used to be, so it’s nice to see more stuff popping on White Settlement. 

(Separate question: is the Mexican Inn on Henderson on the edge of downtown closed for good? It was closed up tight  at noon on a Saturday).

9 hours ago, sasquatch69 said:

(Separate question: is the Mexican Inn on Henderson on the edge of downtown closed for good? It was closed up tight  at noon on a Saturday).

I drive by there basically daily and I haven't seen it open in quite a while. I am assuming it's toast.

49 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

@TornACL will have a new favorite spot soon. 

Lol I'll never love anything as much as El Chingon.

Hey did I fall asleep or did no one mention the new place going into the Mont Plaza spot of death.

I don't remember the name, but there's a new sign. No need to remember the name, it'll be closed by Easter.

23 hours ago, TornACL said:

Lol I'll never love anything as much as El Chingon.

Hey did I fall asleep or did no one mention the new place going into the Mont Plaza spot of death.

I don't remember the name, but there's a new sign. No need to remember the name, it'll be closed by Easter.

Goat and Vine (Montgomery Plaza).