Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Margie’s Original Italian Kitchen, a beloved Westland TX establishment since 1953, has announced that it is passing the torch to new ownership. The restaurant, which was founded by Italian immigrants Tina Lozzi and her daughter, Margie, has been a cherished institution in the Westland community for decades.

Gigi Howell and Bourke Harvey of the Westland Restaurant Group have taken over the reins of Margie’s Original Italian Kitchen from previous owner Keith Kidwell. Howell, a native of Westland, TX, and Harvey, who grew up in nearby Fort Worth, are passionate advocates for the local community.

Having already made a name for themselves with the successful launch of JD’s Hamburgers, Howell and Harvey are committed to their work in Westland TX. Although a recent storm temporarily closed JD’s doors, the local community has enthusiastically embraced the restaurant’s approach to classic American fare. With the opening of Margie’s Original Italian Kitchen, Howell and Harvey look forward to furthering their commitment to the community by providing new job opportunities for some of JD’s existing staff.

“We feel incredibly grateful and humbled to be entrusted with the responsibility of carrying on the tradition of Margie’s Original Italian Kitchen,” said Gigi Howell, Operating Partner of the Westland Restaurant Group. “We have deep roots in this community and a strong commitment to preserving the spirit of Margie’s, which has always been about great food, warm hospitality, and a sense of belonging.”

Margie’s Original Italian Kitchen will be closed for approximately two months for some upgrades, during which time the new owners will be working to freshen up the decor and add some new menu items to the restaurant’s offerings. At 2,000 square feet, the restaurant is expected to be able to accommodate around 120 guests for food service.

“We are excited to bring some new energy to Margie’s while remaining true to the restaurant’s rich history and tradition,” said Howell. “We are committed to creating a welcoming atmosphere where everyone in the community feels at home, just like they always have at Margie’s.”

During the transition, additional information on Margie’s may be provided via the JD’s Hamburgers Facebook page located at www.facebook.com/jdshamburgers.

His Facebook post.

Howdy Parker County foodies! I am unfortunately posting here to put the news out that we will not be pursuing our restaurant project in Hudson Oaks. For 5+ years we have been actively looking to open a Heim Barbecue restaurant in Parker County but had very little luck finding the perfect fit. Things changed a while ago when we found a piece of land in Hudson Oaks, near HEB, and stared the process of building our “dream” restaurant. This would be a “ground up” build with over 5,000 sqft. interior space and outdoor patio, full bar, huge smokehouse, parking for over 150+ vehicles, everything we would want in a restaurant! We hoped that this would be our “flagship” store that would be the model for all future stores. However, since we began this process the world has changed…Our industry is still reeling from the havoc wreaked by the COVID virus, we’re still facing sky high expenses that make operating a profitable restaurant almost impossible. All of those factors plus inflated constructions costs caused our dream restaurant budget to almost triple in cost…So sadly, we’ve made the decision to move on and pursue other options in the Parker County area. We are incredibly thankful to the folks in Hudson Oaks who welcomed us with open arms and couldn’t be more disappointed that our original plan didn’t work out. Our plan right now is to take a step back and review our options, hopefully we can find a 2nd generation restaurant space in Parker County, preferably Hudson Oaks, that meets all our needs and renovate it into a great family friendly, fun Heim Barbecue restaurant. I know this is upsetting news to some, but we had to face the facts that our original plan wasn’t an option anymore in this economy. We are committed to opening a restaurant in Parker County and hope to find a location that allows us to truly be a part of the community, and provide our guests excellent food, served with gracious and passionate hospitality! Thanks for your understanding, we did not come to this decision lightly.

34 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Apparently there’s going to be a new HEB at Chisholm Trail Parkway and McPherson. I can get on board with that. Better than driving to Burleson. 

If you’re just going off the ST article then hold your horses, until heb actually announces a store location them buying re estate doesn’t mean anything timeline wise 

speaking of development, good job good effort city. https://www.keranews.org/government/2023-03-22/heres-how-a-single-line-cost-fort-worth-7-6-million-in-cost-overruns-on-its-new-city-hall

Closest HEB from our home is 4.3 miles in Johnson County.  Would love to have one practically in our backyard and give the finger to Neighborhood Wall Mart, Albertson's, Super Target, Kroger, etc.  Miss the days growing up in Corpus where there was an HEB every three miles.

Hit up Poop Deck on Bluebonnet Circle for 2nd half of K St, that place fucking SUCKS. Food, TVs, clientele, everything is shitty. Takes a lot for me to ban somewhere after one visit, but they easily made the list. 
Oysters Rockefeller not impress???

Not to mention average age of the waitstaff and clientele was in the 50's, or that they can't accurately come calculate a tab.

1 minute ago, Dr Fear said:
22 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:
Hit up Poop Deck on Bluebonnet Circle for 2nd half of K St, that place fucking SUCKS. Food, TVs, clientele, everything is shitty. Takes a lot for me to ban somewhere after one visit, but they easily made the list. 

Oysters Rockefeller not impress???

the only oysters are the ones our waitress hocks up after 50 years of heavy smoking

Not to mention average age of the waitstaff and clientele was in the 50's, or that they can't accurately come calculate a tab.
the only oysters are the ones our waitress hocks up after 50 years of heavy smoking
Zing! Weird menu.
b2596be1fa635fdc4e5c064e1656cb2d.gif
They did have an old school cig machine, ain’t seen one of those in a long minute. 
I believe they still have one at Lone Star.

On 1/19/2021 at 5:58 PM, TornACL said:

On another note, I saw that Poop Deck is relocating to the old Fred's space on Bluebonnet Circle. 

That news brought back the memory of when Tim Love took over the Oui Lounge and tried to spruce it up... and it closed within like 6 months? Fuckin douche.

On 1/19/2021 at 6:23 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Poop Deck appeared to be open in their old spot in late December, which means they technically should have had their food certificate. Can’t imagine that cuisine. 

And in somewhat related news, Maxine’s is done for good. 377 south of the circle ain’t got shit left for bars now. 

On 1/20/2021 at 10:57 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Ha, they really are going to 'Bar & Grill' now. No fucking thanks. 

I should have listened to my own fucking advice. 

On 4/29/2021 at 1:41 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

IMG-9263%20(1).jpg

On 4/29/2021 at 11:49 AM, fwtxbevo said:

Gonna need a lot of business to pay that cable bill. 

That pic was 2 years ago, now multiply the dreariness by about 35. 

And the amount of people in the section above was exactly two fewer than today. 

13 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Guessing it’s the same one from the oui. 

Beat me to it.  Great days (or so I thought) back when Caro's was next door and Johnny Day Whitten would deliver puffy tacos to the Oui and you could multi task with dinner and drink-gone.

Regarding the Oui Lounge, the longtime neighborhood dive bar that Love aimed to revamp with a 70’s vibe, a local bar management group called 3509 Consulting will take over operations beginning July 1. Glen Keely, who owns Poag Mahone’s Irish Pub on Carroll St. near W. 7th St., is head of the consulting group and will lead management of the Oui.

“Obviously we can’t go back to what it was,” said Keely, referring to the atmosphere of the Oui Lounge before Love’s management team took over. “All of the walls are gone now, but we’re trying to get the energy back and make it the place that it was – which was a great neighborhood bar with a real TCU feel to it. We’re hoping to make it more attractive to your every day customers.”

Epic fail.

Wouldn’t the name of the place tell you how good the food is? Why would you name a place Shit?

On 3/26/2023 at 2:12 PM, wild_turkey said:

I don’t ever see it talked about here, but Tavern has become pretty nice since the remodel. We really like their brunch.

Tavern is always solid. Armenta is killing it.

Looking forward to his new French brasserie at corner of Hulen/Bellaire.

Original on Camp Bowie 
Well friends, we’ve been waiting for our Knight in shining armor, and He has ARRIVED!! We just secured a 3 month extension! Hopefully this will lead to a permanent stay! 
Nonetheless, we will stay here on Camp Bowie at least through the end of June!!
Am I the only one that has zero sympathy for them?? The FB comments are full of "greedy landlord" talk. It should be full of "Grifty Legacy Restaurant" talk.