Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

You have to make sure both sides want you gone. A Hitler mustache is a likely cut, especially if you’re a woman. Add a foil or Devo hat, some of those Mexican cobra head boots, a Che Guevara shirt, you’re likely dismissed forever. Tell them you’ve got Tourette’s and throw out some “whore!” “Cocksucker!” Yelping. Sorry judge!

If you have a doctor buddy get a note that you have constant diarrhea or extreme farting.

On 9/19/2022 at 4:40 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

Mercado slams but holy fuck they’re consistently busy as hell with a 30-45 minute wait every time. 

A longtime Tex-Mex favorite in Fort Worth has a surprising new boss: Mercado Juarez Cafe, which has been doing classic Tex-Mex for nearly 30 years, was sold by owner Dave Cox to Fort Worth restaurateur Marcus Paslay and his team.

According to a release, Cox was ready to retire and wanted to make sure the restaurants and land would be purchased by a restaurant group who would love and respect the institution and its staff. Enter Marcus Paslay, whose From Scratch Hospitality company oversees Fort Worth favorites such as Clay Pigeon, Piattello, and Provender Hall.

Jeffrey Yarbrough and Aaron Evans of bigInk Commercial Real Estate, along with Capital Title and Denney Law Group, closed the deal between Paslay and Cox, president of Mercado Juarez Cafe, on April 2.

"This decision came as a strategic plan to retire and enjoy our lives while we’re still young," Cox says in a statement. "We are leaving the Mercado Juarez legacy in more than capable hands with Marcus Paslay and his team of excellent operators who respect what Don Bowden started more than 35 years ago. Jeffrey’s extensive knowledge of the Fort Worth retail landscape and years of hospitality experience helped us make the final decision to work with bigInk Real Estate."

Mercado Juarez was founded in 1982 by Don Bowden and was later purchased by Dave Cox in 2005. There are two locations, one at 125 E. I-20 in Arlington and one at 1651 E. Northside Dr. in Fort Worth. Between both restaurants, there are 120 employees. They also once had a location in Dallas on Northwest Highway but that closed in 2018.

They've received several awards including “Best Carne Guisada” by Dallas Morning News and "Best Carne Asada" by Fort Worth Weekly, and frequently win "Readers Choice" awards for Best Mexican and Best Tex-Mex.

Specials include their spicy habanero queso dip with cilantro & ground beef, and the taco salad with chicken. Unique dishes include smothered beef tips guiso de res in spicy gravy with chipotle peppers and onions, shrimp Cozumel, and steak divorciado, but they have no shortage of traditional Tex-Mex including fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, and burritos.

Yarbrough recently partnered with chefs Patrick Ru and Stefon Rishel on an exciting new dumpling spot opening in the Near Southside called Teddy Wong's Dumplings & Wine, a Chinese restaurant that will open in the space previously occupied by Le's Wok Asian Food, slated to open in May.

In 2007, after several years of running a successful agency, bigInk PR, Yarbrough expanded his company, bigInk, to include Real Estate services to support growing restaurant companies and real estate developers. In 2022, he moved bigInk Real Estate to Fort Worth. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I've always felt they have some of the worst Mexican food in Fort Worth, and after reading names of the owners, I now know why. IMO this place is for tourists, or people too scared to go the Northside to eat authentic stuff.

[mention=5553]Herbie Hancock[/mention] gonna beat your ass! 

My last Juarez trip was probably the Arlington one ~15 years ago before a bachelor party at one of the titters, so it don't really affect me either way. 

Eh I'm past that stage in life. Too expensive to get out of jail these days. And I've had plenty of shitty opinions. Need I remind you of my thoughts on George Strait?

I've always felt they have some of the worst Mexican food in Fort Worth, and after reading names of the owners, I now know why. IMO this place is for tourists, or people too scared to go the Northside to eat authentic stuff.

What like Joe T’s? Ownership and management often have little to do with the actual food. Around these parts Koreans own most Chinese and sushi joints and Persians own a lot of Italian joints.

Anyway, Mercado Juarez has had a north side location for decades. The one in north Arlington as very good back in the late 80’s; you could get great cabrito and lots of south Texas things that you didn’t see much back then. The decline started over 20 years ago when the owner sold out to his store managers and they really lost their way. I haven’t been in over ten years. I’ll give the new guy a chance if he fixes the place and it gets good reviews.

On 5/8/2023 at 9:25 PM, Texzilla58 said:

What like Joe T’s? Ownership and management often have little to do with the actual food. Around these parts Koreans own most Chinese and sushi joints and Persians own a lot of Italian joints.

Anyway, Mercado Juarez has had a north side location for decades. The one in north Arlington as very good back in the late 80’s; you could get great cabrito and lots of south Texas things that you didn’t see much back then. The decline started over 20 years ago when the owner sold out to his store managers and they really lost their way. I haven’t been in over ten years. I’ll give the new guy a chance if he fixes the place and it gets good reviews.

Thanks for confirming the food is bad. I ate there only a few times back in the early 90's when I worked in the area, and thought the food was bland and lacked taste. I can only imagine how bad it is now if it has indeed declined over the past 20 years. I never made to the Arlington location so I have no idea about their food, so I will defer to you. I'm not a restaurant snob in any way, but in my experience, no Mexican food joint owned by non-Hispanics has ever really been good, just average at best. I may be wrong about that, but none come to mind.

On 5/9/2023 at 2:13 AM, fwtxbevo said:

I worked on the Northside for 21 years and only went there once, which was enough to convince me that El Asadero, Los Paisanos, El Rancho Grande (now the Original) were better authentic options and were less than a mile from my office. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pch said:

I worked on the Northside for 21 years and only went there once, which was enough to convince me that El Asadero, Los Paisanos, El Rancho Grande (now the Original) were better authentic options and were less than a mile from my office. 

Exactly. Not to mention Dos Molina's and all the other places further up 25th towards Azle Avenue.

Just now, Herbie Hancock said:

El Paseo and Mezcales are both much better that is absolutely true, but y'all acting like Mercado sells catnip enchiladas and dog turd fajitas are some high maintenance SOB's.

El Paseo does good work and I have taken friends there who raved about the food. Catnip enchiladas. . . .hmmmmmm

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

For anyone who didn't get to the Stockyards tonight, you missed out on a chance to meet Lowell Gallindo. I bet you have major FOMO now don't you.

Between this and missing the opportunity at age 7 to meet Dobie Gillis at the HEB in Corpus, I don't know how I can go on.What Is Happening Digital Art GIF by Robert Ek

• Haha 1

Finally getting a seemingly solid high end sushi joint in FW, Musume downtown. The original is in Dallas. FW really needs a good big night out sushi spot imo (is there one currently at all? Shinjuku maybe? Quince?) 

I tried the hand roll place a few yrs back and didn’t think it was anything special. Little Lilly is solid.

shout out to the city on discussions of throwing tax abatements to auto haus to move to clear fork. talks of moving a damn car dealership to a 200k bldg in shops at clear fork. 

Fits right into the college station campus aesthetics 

Christ I hope they don’t March around in those painted up overhauls and do one legged yell practice whoops. I’d rather have Corps dudes marching around. A fucking Aggie campus in my beloved home town. The world is truly about to be sucked into the sun
  • Hook 'Em 1

The next one that needs the bulldozer is the JITB on N University. That might be the worst fast food outpost in America. Sad!
I live right by there, a few months ago they didn't give me my credit card back one night and ran up almost $1000 by 10am.

19 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
20 minutes ago, TornACL said:
The next one that needs the bulldozer is the JITB on N University. That might be the worst fast food outpost in America. Sad!

I live right by there, a few months ago they didn't give me my credit card back one night and ran up almost $1000 by 10am.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Usually when I drive by there it looks like it's closed. I should never go there ever, but... the tacos.

Hi neighbor. 

• Like 1

I had a convicted child molester for an Uber driver drop me off at that yack in the box. At the time he was only accused and not convicted, and I also didn't know he was pedder ass until after the Uber ride.
How did you discover this if you didn't hear it from him/her/it????

How did you discover this if you didn't hear it from him/her/it????

I was with a group of teachers/coaches. This guy was also a teacher/coach at the same school until about two weeks prior to this night. After he dropped us off my wife and her coworkers spilled the beans: 3 different students had come forward with allegations. He did a few months in jail and I think he still lives in our town. Him, another coach, and the fucking school cop all got busted for being pedder asses in like a six month timespan.

Boozie’s Brewery and Gourmet Sandwiches, a west side brewpub that changed names just three months ago, will close Sunday and relocate to suburban Edgecliff Village, partner and landlord Bruce Conti said Thursday.

Two other bars announced closings. In downtown Fort Worth, the 20-year-old Houston Street Bar and Patio, 902 Houston St., announced Thursday it will close May 31.

Also, the Tap In Grill & Pub location in Grapevine closed Thursday along with the location in Alliance Town Center, which closed last week.

Boozie’s had previously operated as Wild Acre Brewing at 6473 Camp Bowie Blvd. and also in a second restaurant near Allen until that company was sold last year. Wild Acre kept an East El Paso Street location in Fort Worth.

Both Boozie’s will close and combine into a new Boozie’s at 685 John B. Sias Memorial Parkway, Edgecliff Village, a former Star-Telegram pressroom and paper warehouse, Conti said.

“It’ll be one big brewery with a tap room, beer garden and outdoor music component,” Conti said. 

Boozie’s sandwich menu will give way to simpler brewpub fare, Conti said, probably pizzas.

Award-winning brewmaster Bobby Mullins will move to the new location but not chef David Hollister, Conti said.

Boozie’s business on Camp Bowie Boulevard had declined by half since the change from Wild Acre, he said.

He hopes to lease that space to a coffee cafe that will replace both Boozie’s and the also-closed Lazy Daisy Coffee Bar, he said.

Other brewpubs and bars also report slower business lately.

Owners say it’s because money is tight, because beer is losing popularity to distilled spirits, because fewer drinkers are staying out late or even because the Dallas Mavericks missed the pro basketball playoffs. 

0414%20wild%20acre%20003.jpg

I have not though of Houston St in a long minute. Many, many hours & dollars were spent on that rooftop back in the Library weekend days.