All things Apple, the tech not the fruit

sachick

If  you're an Apple hater, see yourself out. If you're here just to post Android is better, again, move along.

Let us fanbois do our thing.

Apple-Fanboy.jpg

Question for the AirPod users. I've started using them at work. How long can you use them for streaming music before you have to recharge them?

My first job with computers was drawing stuff for an Apple IIE. The pixels were as big as hailstones. When you'd make a diagonal white line, you'd actually have a sort of stair-step of green and purple.

In the back room they showed me a "Black Apple" that predated my working there by a little bit.

Wish I'd stolen it.

10 hours ago, uoftorange said:

Huh.  Cheaper Macbooks would be cool.  My (E:2014) Pro is getting a little dated, but it's stll holding up reasonably for home use.  A Macbook would be a perfect replacement though.  Better than a tablet for eyeballing and tard posting on...the Surl?...on the porch/in the garage while drinking.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

8 hours ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

Huh.  Cheaper Macbooks would be cool.  My (E:2014) Pro is getting a little dated, but it's stll holding up reasonably for home use.  A Macbook would be a perfect replacement though.  Better than a tablet for eyeballing and tard posting on...the Surl?...on the porch/in the garage while drinking.

That's a link to the thread as a whole that already existed for this topic.  For some reason it also quotes the first post in it.  

19 hours ago, Hate said:

Yeah, we need the 2 OP's of the "Apple" threads to post tit pictures.  Whomever has the best titties gets to keep the thread.

Obviously I would win but if I didn't post pics when I was young and had no kids when I was first on HornFans, it's not gonna happen here. We'll go with the other thread. I didn't see it when I was wondering about the iPods.

I'm not an apple kool-aid drinker but my fiance is. I'm looking forward to the iPad announcement today since she really wants one to use as a digital textbook and reference lookup for law school shit. And iPads are probably the best-presentation tablet in the game still. Fingers crossed for lower prices or baller specs in the presser

20 minutes ago, sachick said:

Obviously I would win but if I didn't post pics when I was young and had no kids when I was first on HornFans, it's not gonna happen here. We'll go with the other thread. I didn't see it when I was wondering about the iPods.

giphy.gif

FWIW, I did the battery replacement on my 6S and the new performance is outstanding...$31 out the door in about 3hrs.

I'm ready to replace my iPad Air.  I have high hopes for the replacement being announced today (or is it tomorrow?).

• 2 weeks later...

Dumb question amnesty.  I have an Apple Watch(original) and a MacBook Pro and sometimes my mb will unlock with the watch and sometimes not.  I'm not sure what causes it to work or not, so does anyone have an idea?  

I want a MacBook but can’t make myself spend the money on it. I’m almost never on the computer at home. My iPhone and iPad get plenty of use though.

You don’t need one then. If anything you should probably upgrade to the newest iPad if current iPad is getting old/slow.

I'm not looking forward to the switch away from Intel processors to custom proprietary.  Thus ends the hackintosh.  The switch from PowerPC to Intel was a pain in the ass.  However if they'd actually released this I'd have bought it just for the absurdity.

powerbook-g5-mockup.jpg

OK maybe not.

This will get them off the schedule being dictated by Intel.  If this happens in 2020, that means the 2019 MacPro will be relevant for a year?  Well that sucks.

4 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

I'm not looking forward to the switch away from Intel processors to custom proprietary.  Thus ends the hackintosh.  The switch from PowerPC to Intel was a pain in the ass.  However if they'd actually released this I'd have bought it just for the absurdity.

powerbook-g5-mockup.jpg

OK maybe not.

This will get them off the schedule being dictated by Intel.  If this happens in 2020, that means the 2019 MacPro will be relevant for a year?  Well that sucks.

They are not switching to ARM.   Adobe won't even try to support ChromeOS/ARM with its flagship apps because of various issues/performance hits.  

It was just another fucking clickbait article cranked out by a major publication that caused a bunch of people to write their own clickbait articles.

People are fucking dense and forgetting that the move to Intel was because PPC couldn't keep up in performance/cooling, and there was a serious performance gap starting to open up between Windows and Macs.  I posted that G5 MacBook meme photo above in the rumor thread a few days ago, because that was a good representation of what Apple was dealing with on the PPC front.

That's not the case here, because Microsoft is relying on the same CPUs as Apple, and Intel's making fucking 18-core CPUs that are going into desktop Macs.

Apple is probably making an environment (virtualized or emulated) for iOS apps to run on Macs, which helps with both development and increasing the reach of the iTunes/App Store.  They've been working on that off and on for years though, and it was not exactly a secret, because people have been able to do it easily with Android apps for a long time and developers have been bugging Apple for that for a long time.

There is an  chance Apple switches to AMD.  That will happen long before a switch to ARM.  AMD has some good CPU/GPU options these days, and AMD allows third-parties to come in an work on their CPU architecture, so Apple could toss some things into the mix that would boost performance or security or whatever.

• 2 years later...
55 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

So my daughter needs a MacBook pro or Macbook Air.  They can be older and refurbished, as the requirements are pretty low, but it does need to be Apple.  Thoughts on a source for a good deal?  

We always buy Apple refurbed for Macs, never had problems.   They are checked out and new batteries installed if needed.  Get the extended AppleCare warranty for her.  She may never need it, but they are so thin now, it’s not possible to do a lot of repairs on your own.

I would say MacBook Air   If she needed a Pro, I think you would know it.   

8GB should be fine for RAM.   More importantly, try to get as much storage as possible.  256GB at the least.   You cannot upgrade the internal storage once purchased, and it really sucks if you run out of space.   Running out of space impacts performance A Lot.   They offer the 128GB as a baseline for schools and those who do very little, but if she’s going to hold on to this for a few years, she will fill it up with photos, apps, etc.   

CPU is not as important since they are all i5s and above and have been solid for years now, unless.  The newer ones have quad-cores available, but it’s probably overkill for her.  

Buy a pair of USB - USB-C adapters like this ($10) and have her keep one in the bag and one in her desk for when she needs to plug in a phone or camera or whatever.  There’s too many older-style USB devices and cables out there to ignore. 

And thanks to them switching to USB-C, you can buy those little power banks for additional battery life, but the Airs have such good battery life, I doubt she will need one.

• Like 2

It's a shame that memory is so expensive to get on a Mac. 8GB of memory is ok if all they're going to do is web browsing and working on word documents, but if they're doing anything with spreadsheets or trying to do much multitasking, they're going to hit bottlenecks and it'll feel sluggish.

Or ya know, if they open a trillion fucking tabs and never close them, which NEVER happens lol

On 4/8/2018 at 4:16 PM, atomheartbevo said:

They are not switching to ARM.   Adobe won't even try to support ChromeOS/ARM with its flagship apps because of various issues/performance hits.  

I predict they will switch to something derived from their phone silicon, maybe an ARM CPU paired with a GPU.  They will start with the lowest end MacBooks and work their way up from there.  It makes it easier to develop MacOS and iOS and it will cut cost out of the Mac lineup.  I think you'll see low end Windows laptops that are essentially the same thing.

Essentially your laptop is becoming a big phone.

19 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's a shame that memory is so expensive to get on a Mac. 8GB of memory is ok if all they're going to do is web browsing and working on word documents, but if they're doing anything with spreadsheets or trying to do much multitasking, they're going to hit bottlenecks and it'll feel sluggish.

A birdie told me they will probably be going to 16GB and 256GB of storage next year as their baseline.  I can believe the 256GB easily, since all the iPhones are doing 4K video and the like and are climbing up there in storage.  16GB...yeah, I can see it since it's fairly cheap.  It made me worried that macOS was showing signs of needing a lot more RAM.

But I've been hearing that we are getting a "Snow Catalina" basically, that this next round of macOS updates will be focused on stability, performance, and security.

19 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Or ya know, if they open a trillion fucking tabs and never close them, which NEVER happens lol

I can easily keep 100+ tabs open on my iPad, and for a few months, Safari was crashing and losing the tabs, pissing me off to no end.  On the one hand, they weren't important enough for me to copy the link into an Apple note or bookmark it.  On the other hand, it was stuff I was researching for various things - could be recreated, but annoying nonetheless.

20 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

I predict they will switch to something derived from their phone silicon, maybe an ARM CPU paired with a GPU.  They will start with the lowest end MacBooks and work their way up from there.  It makes it easier to develop MacOS and iOS and it will cut cost out of the Mac lineup.  I think you'll see low end Windows laptops that are essentially the same thing.

I had this conversation with an Apple employee last year, and it probably holds up even more - it was informal/off-the-record, and related to an article I was working on concerning iPads (and I couldn't print it at the time).  I asked a few questions about mouse/touchpad support for iPads, and whether they were ditching Intel for laptops.  She mentioned what a lot of us figured at the time - that Apple was looking at mouse/touchpad support for iOS.  She didn't say they were committed to it, but we saw a few months ago that it was true.

I specifically asked if they were going to move their laptops to ARM at some point, and she said they already had ARM-based laptops - iPad Pros with the keyboard cover.   It's even more true now that they've added mouse/touchpad support as of a few months ago.  She also reiterated that Intel and AMD were keeping things competitive enough, and their CPUs were improving enough, that there wasn't a pressing need versus when PowerPC had to be ditched.

In fact, sticking the iPad in a physical metal case is counter-productive, would make it heavier, since you'd have to have some weight in the keyboard, which would probably be a battery, which would be awesome for battery life, but would suck ass for portability.   

I'm actually wanting something the opposite of what they are making - I want a 12-inch MacBook with user-replacement memory, hard drive, and make it a little thicker and throw in a larger battery.  Something like one of the ThinkPads that can still be upgraded.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Apple is currently developing an ARM-based Macbook that uses a juiced up version of the iPad pro processor

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brookecrothers/2020/06/07/preview-of-the-2021-arm-macbook-is-already-here-take-it-for-a-test-drive/

After the last IOS update I realized that find my iPhone is now completely useless. My daughter misplaced her phone in the house like she often does. I pulled out my iPhone and opened find my iPhone so I could sign into her Apple ID and make it sound off. That’s when I realized that it no longer has an option to sign out of my Apple ID. So essentially you can only use find my iPhone to find your iPhone if you have your iPhone.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

After the last IOS update I realized that find my iPhone is now completely useless. My daughter misplaced her phone in the house like she often does. I pulled out my iPhone and opened find my iPhone so I could sign into her Apple ID and make it sound off. That’s when I realized that it no longer has an option to sign out of my Apple ID. So essentially you can only use find my iPhone to find your iPhone if you have your iPhone.

You can use the icloud website to log in to your apple ID and find your iPhone/play a sound through there

Edited by Captainant

Just like Apple to take simple useful app and turn it in to a completely useless piece of shit

Have been foolishly using the latest Apple products since their first iPhone. Blame is clearly mine, but gotdamn I wish those cats would get back to innovation in general. F’ing camera improvements are out the ass though. I want a better phone, not a better camera that doubles as a smartphone.

I will say that the water resistant ability was a huge improvement though. But still...

I'm bummed about the ARM move.  I think it's mostly a result of I'm not Apple's target market anymore.  They want casual users who only care about iMessage and web browsing with some light app usage.  Business users can run O365 and spreadsheets fine if they need to.  Creatives can use Adobe CC.  I'm a fan of the usability of MacOS, but am a power user.  There are times when I like to get into the shell and do stuff, and while I use it for work, I like to play games on it too, and Apple has always had a hostile attitude towards gaming on their laptops. They're happy for you to buy their casual iOS games, but I want to play RTS, MOBAs, FPS, other stuff...and while you can find options on Mac, it's really limited.  So you're stuck with the choice of maintaining 2 systems, a windows box for gaming and Mac for everything else.  It sucks because they supposedly built Metal as the OpenGL replacement to make gaming and coding for their system easier, but it hasn't taken off.  I think from their Exec team down, they look down their nose at that use case - even though the hardware is more than enough to support it.

Now with the move to ARM there will be even less incentive for any AAA game developer to make a MacOS version.  I guess I need to bite the bullet and get a Win10 system.

I’m way too old to change phones now.

You can find her location by going to any text thread you’ve had with her. Hit the “info” button and her location will show up if she has shared her location with you in the past.

8 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You can add your family's devices if they give you permission. 

Her location is never the problem (at least not yet).  I just need to be able to make her phone sound off when it's misplaced under the couch cushions and we are in the midst of an existential crisis.  Apple loves to change things just when i get them figured out.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Her location is never the problem (at least not yet).  I just need to be able to make her phone sound off when it's misplaced under the couch cushions and we are in the midst of an existential crisis.

You can do that in the Find My iPhone app if you have a family iCloud account setup and you are both on it and she grants permission for you to access her phone on the findmyiphone app. This is actually a much better and easier solution than you signing off and signing into her account. 

Edited by Pasken

Her location is never the problem (at least not yet).  I just need to be able to make her phone sound off when it's misplaced under the couch cushions and we are in the midst of an existential crisis.  Apple loves to change things just when i get them figured out.

Do you not know the phone number?

You know what would thrill me?  Having an ability to set my alarm volume and it not being tied to the ringer volume.

Working in a field or under the car and crank up the ringer in case my wife calls and then go to be to get blasted out the next morning because the ringer volume control affects the alarm volume.

So stupid.

On 6/15/2020 at 1:06 PM, Texas_Rocks said:

Have been foolishly using the latest Apple products since their first iPhone. Blame is clearly mine, but gotdamn I wish those cats would get back to innovation in general. F’ing camera improvements are out the ass though. I want a better phone, not a better camera that doubles as a smartphone.

I will say that the water resistant ability was a huge improvement though. But still...

I just want a new iPhone the size of the original SE/5 - 4-inch display is perfect for one-handed operation, whether you are eating or using it in the bathroom or whatever.