All things Apple, the tech not the fruit

sachick

the airpod maxes are something i never would have bought for myself, but are something that I would replace immediately if I lost or broke them now that I have them. I wear them most of the time i'm in my office, I listen to books or podcasts while I'm cleaning or at the gym, I listen to music on transparent mode and play along with a guitar to work on tricky parts. wife got me a bike for christmas and I'm going to try and set a mile goal for the year, obviously the giant headphones would be no bueno with a helmet and good transparent audio would be important. Sounds like these might fit the bill.

11 year old daughter had to have these airpods because apparently the [tween, pre-teen and teen private school starter pack] must have:

• latest iphone (already had) and shaming anyone with an android
  • airpods in ears at all times
  • oversized hoodie with private school emblem to barely meet dresscode
  • crocs on at all times outside of uniform and on fridays (ironic or unironic, i can't figure it out)
  • Haha 1

Wife got me a HomePod for Christmas. I typically listen to music or podcast while cooking dinner but I get tired of how the AirPod Pros feel in my ears after a time. It puts out really nice sound. 

HomePod mini? Depending on how big your kitchen is, get a second to make a stereo pair. It improves the sound bigly.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah I’ve been using HomePods and airplay (back to the airport->amp->speakers days) as a poor man’s sonos for a decade now. I’ve still got two OG HomePods synced with the Apple TV in my living room. I’ve got mini pairs in a few places in the house.
e7d857e6f96da1ab3c4d2a25fe837049.jpg

Come to think of it, I’ve got 8 minis, 3 OGs, and 4 airport zones. That’s without mentioning smart tvs and other devices that accept airplay input.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/30/2022 at 1:53 AM, Celery Man said:

Any input on AirPod pros? I have Airpod Max headphones that I use all the time and love. I’ve avoided regular airpods and thrown away every set of apple earbuds I’ve gotten because they just fall out of my ears. The tips on the pro seem like they would solve that issue. Are they comfortable?  How is transparent/noise canceling?

Incredible product. The reliability of the connection - when you put them on they connect - trounces any other wireless products ive had. 

Very comfortable for my ears. Noise cancellation is good for ear buds - though i dont need to use that mode much. Transparency mode on apple products are also unmatched. 

Wireless charging of case is useful. 

• Like 1

Got a pair of the new airpod pros. The sound quality is pretty great - like I said, earbuds never fit so it’s been almost ten years since I wore anything like that and those were cheap. Crazy good sound. Noise cancelling is good for earbuds and I suppose transparent mode too, although neither of those are close to as good as they are with the airpod max. This will hopefully be perfect for riding though - small tips seem to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo, I have a five year old 2017 MBP 13.  I've been happy with it for the most part, although the butterfly keyboard is a piece of shit and has been replaced once.

The keyboard is acting shitty again.  I have had an older Air that sucked up some liquid apparently and went wonky, replaced by this MBP, both Apple refurbished.

I don't see any reason not to spend another about $850 on a newer Apple refurb MBA.  Is there any reason not to do this?

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Sooo, I have a five year old 2017 MBP 13.  I've been happy with it for the most part, although the butterfly keyboard is a piece of shit and has been replaced once.

The keyboard is acting shitty again.  I have had an older Air that sucked up some liquid apparently and went wonky, replaced by this MBP, both Apple refurbished.

I don't see any reason not to spend another about $850 on a newer Apple refurb MBA.  Is there any reason not to do this?

The new Apple silicon machines are fantastic, and a massive leap forward from what you have right now.

I prefer the newer design that came out with the M2 Airs, but not sure they have those in the refurb store yet.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UnivTex34 said:

The new Apple silicon machines are fantastic, and a massive leap forward from what you have right now.

I prefer the newer design that came out with the M2 Airs, but not sure they have those in the refurb store yet.

Thanks.  I am unfamiliar, of course, with the M chips and what they really mean.  I still have half a 128 and 8MB memory, so I'd think that alone would be very worthwhile.

I have never had any "power" problems with this i5 8MB machine, except I hear the fans running from time to time.  Looks like I'm stuck with the 2 USB regardless.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Thanks.  I am unfamiliar, of course, with the M chips and what they really mean.  I still have half a 128 and 8MB memory, so I'd think that alone would be very worthwhile.

I have never had any "power" problems with this i5 8MB machine, except I hear the fans running from time to time.

What you have now is a 10 speed bicycle.

The M1 even with the base 8GB RAM is a Brand new family Car.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I bought the first gen m1 14” pro with the base specs of 500gigs and 16gb and love it. I fully expect it to work for the better part of a decade for my uses. It did freeze up slicing a file a few days ago but it was big print and cura was the culprit; prusa worked like fine.

9 hours ago, deft said:

I bought the first gen m1 14” pro with the base specs of 500gigs and 16gb and love it. I fully expect it to work for the better part of a decade for my uses. It did freeze up slicing a file a few days ago but it was big print and cura was the culprit; prusa worked like fine.

Yeah, my daily is a middle config 14" M1P with 32GB ram. The fans have turned on once in over a year. Its the best laptop I've ever owned, and I buy laptops like most folks buy lunch.

Nobody could say how it sounds yet as they don’t have their hands on it. Disappointing to hear of no significant improvements and they actually cut the number of tweeters down from the OG. You would think that they realized they priced the OG too high and adjust accordingly but Tim Cook gonna Tim Cook. And yes, they sound head and shoulders above the minis which should be expected.

There is a dude online that will repair your old first gen HomePod if it gets the farts. Might have to do that soon with one of mine…..

• 2 weeks later...

Reverting to the above, I have a 2017 MBP that I bought refurbed from Apple in 2018, I think. It has that damned keyboard that has been replaced once.  The z key is undersensitive and the shift key got something under it but I have mostly fixed that I think, but it doesn't feel right.  And now the touchpad is intermittent on pinch-to-zoom, which I see can be a recurrent problem.  Otherwise it works fine and still has more than half it's 128G storage.

Is it time?  Or do I have a case of the wants?  Should I bother trying to have anything fixed or is Apple going to want $500+?

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Are there really no key replacements?  Yeah I have had it done once before and it was more than $600 if not warranted.

The mechanism is all one piece, that is how they are able to get it so small. Any key issues is a top case replacement (same with touchpad).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Reverting to the above, I have a 2017 MBP that I bought refurbed from Apple in 2018, I think. It has that damned keyboard that has been replaced once.  The z key is undersensitive and the shift key got something under it but I have mostly fixed that I think, but it doesn't feel right.  And now the touchpad is intermittent on pinch-to-zoom, which I see can be a recurrent problem.  Otherwise it works fine and still has more than half it's 128G storage.

Is it time?  Or do I have a case of the wants?  Should I bother trying to have anything fixed or is Apple going to want $500+?

Flip it to some kid on craigslist and buy an M* powered mac

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

6 years is a great run for a laptop. I believe you have always hated that particular laptop, or at least the keyboard (rightfully). You can buy a new laptop every 5 years as a treat.

I was mad as hell when it flaked out just past the one-year warranty period, true.  But Apple did me a solid and replaced the top case out of warranty on the special consideration given that keyboard problem, which probably should have been a recall, but I don't think they had anything to replace it with and it was unfixable as designed.

It's been a good machine otherwise/how was the play Mrs. Lincoln.

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I was mad as hell when it flaked out just past the one-year warranty period, true.  But Apple did me a solid and replaced the top case out of warranty on the special consideration given that keyboard problem, which probably should have been a recall, but I don't think they had anything to replace it with and it was unfixable as designed.

It's been a good machine otherwise/how was the play Mrs. Lincoln.

The new keyboards are better. I had an issue with a few keys when my kid banged his fist on it. Took a bit of careful fiddling with them to pop them out and reinstall and its all gravy now. 

The new machines are tits. 

I'm thinking MBA M2, does that sound reasonable?  I can't kid myself at being a power user, a shitty chromebook satisfies most of my needs, except the word processor options suck.  I could probably get away with the MBA M1, but I'd like to get the newer design, as alluded to above and maybe a bit of future-proofing.

I'm pretty stuck in the Apple ecosystem for one main reason:  Preview is just excellent for putting together patent drawings from CAD files, much better than any PC pdf editor that I have used.  That can be a minor strain on the memory, having big images in the clipboard, but nothing 8GB and an old i5 can't handle with a little fan assist.And my experiences with FILs W11 machines drive me nuts.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Made due with an old 2010 MacBook Pro 13" with a huge dent in the lid all the way up till early summer 2020 when I finally bit the bullet due to stimubux and having extra cash from working from home and bought the then newest intel 13" MBP (think its as technically a 2019 model), thing was fine and all but it sounded like a 737 at takeoff power when you opened up anything mildly CPU demanding. Fall rolls around and the M1 chip gets rolled out and after waiting a few months to realize it was the real deal, took a $600 bath trading in the intel MBP on a 13" MBP M1 and its easily been the best tech decision I've made in a very long time. The leap in performance and battery life over what Intel had even in 2020 was unreal.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm thinking MBA M2, does that sound reasonable?  I can't kid myself at being a power user, a shitty chromebook satisfies most of my needs, except the word processor options suck.  I could probably get away with the MBA M1, but I'd like to get the newer design, as alluded to above and maybe a bit of future-proofing.

I'm pretty stuck in the Apple ecosystem for one main reason:  Preview is just excellent for putting together patent drawings from CAD files, much better than any PC pdf editor that I have used.  That can be a minor strain on the memory, having big images in the clipboard, but nothing 8GB and an old i5 can't handle with a little fan assist.And my experiences with FILs W11 machines drive me nuts.

Preview kick ass.

You could also get an MBP M1 from the Refurb store which has the current design (same as MBA m2) and have more ports and longer future-proofing, if you need that.  Otherwise the MBA is a killer product too.  Im using MBA M1, even with the base 8GB ram its awesome

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/m1-vs-m2-macbook-air/

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/macbook-air-vs-macbook-pro-buyers-guide/

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/13-inch-vs-14-and-16-inch-macbook-pro/

Edited by 52-80
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/29/2022 at 6:53 PM, Celery Man said:

Any input on AirPod pros? I have Airpod Max headphones that I use all the time and love. I’ve avoided regular airpods and thrown away every set of apple earbuds I’ve gotten because they just fall out of my ears. The tips on the pro seem like they would solve that issue. Are they comfortable?  How is transparent/noise canceling?

I bought some about 4-5 months ago. Love them. Fit decent (not perfect), noise cancellation was great. Thought they were good. Then after a couple of weeks, I started to notice tinnitus in my left ear at night. The only change was that I had started to used the Airpod Pros. Did some googling and turns out I'm not the only one.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250886390

Ended up returning them and just going with the basic airpods. 

• 2 weeks later...

TLDR: according to rumors, MFi USB-C cables will be a thing because security and other bullshit. Just don't remind Apple about the Ipad and Macbooks which have been using normal USB-C cables for a long while. Leave it to Apple to $Apple$ the USB-C cable.

Dongle business is still serious business.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/02/28/iphone-15-to-require-certified-accessories-for-full-access-to-usb-c

Very curious about this actually. I have tons of USB-C from all makers, some very likely already MFI, some cheap shit Amazon garbage.

Unfortunately, it will still be worth it to me to be able to ditch to the 3000 shitty lightning cables I have acquired over the last decade.

Finally just need 1 cable type.

ABOUT FUCKING TIME.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had the 1st gen for some time but the 2nd gen keep looking temping. They go on sale for $199 a lot it seems.

Oddly enough, I keep thinking about waiting on them because it’s rumored they’ll come out with a usb-c case for them this year even though I almost exclusively charge them through wireless. And I don’t even give a shot about the usb-c vs lightning thing but I figure I’ll upgrade my phone (which will almost definitely have usb-c next gen) before I upgrade to gen 3 APP so I might as well wait a tad longer so everything is on one cable.