All things Apple, the tech not the fruit

sachick

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My favorite Apple product is the AirPod Pros. I've dropped one in the pool, left them in a shorts pocket in the washer, and they've survived. 2 years going strong, and I use them constantly 9-10 hours a workday. 

Pair well with Apple TV and sound better than most sound bars. $249 is a steal. 

I had no such luck before the pros were released. I’m much more protective of my pros because of it.

4 minutes ago, deft said:

I’ve had the 1st gen for some time but the 2nd gen keep looking temping. They go on sale for $199 a lot it seems.

The noise cancellation improvements are worth it. I’ve had both. Transparency is better as well. 

Edited by UnivTex34

I didn’t buy the 1st gen until after they nerfed the mythical OG ANC. That said, I’ve definitely noticed the performance of ANC has gone done over time and firmware upgrades. I’m not holding out hope for it not happening to the 2nd gen.

Never considered “trading in” electronic equipment, but tempted to swap my 13” M1 Air for an 14” M2 Pro.

Surprised Costco is offering $500 and Apple $550 for my laptop, which was $1150 new, approaching 2.5 years old. 

Thats less than <$1/day for a device I average way more than 1hr/day of usage. 

To be clear the thing is a champ and I have absolutely Ø justifiable need for a new one….but new is new, right?

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, mdmost said:

So I don’t get this at all. It’s not like Oculus just took off

Probably crazy intensive to manufacture so price it out for the early adopter nerds with cash to burn and while manufacturing volume capacity is low. 

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

So I don’t get this at all. It’s not like Oculus just took off

Keep in mind the original MacBook Air came out at around $2,600 in today's dollars, and can now be had for $999.

Apple is not marking it up $2,000 over cost for shits and giggles - unlike most of the headsets out there, Apple being Apple, these have 4K displays and a custom processor, and a shitload of cameras and sensors, and they'll be low volume for the time being.

Actual professional VR headsets cost a lot as well.  I'm not talking about Occulus/Meta stuff, but stuff like this (https://varjo.com/products/vr-3/)

I won't be buying it at anything approaching that price, and I know it's not aimed at the gaming crowd, and probably not even the crowd Zuckerberg is targeting with the Metaverse stuff, but it's interesting if Apple has done what they are claiming with apps, etc., being actually useful and people not getting motion sickness, etc., and wanting to actually do more with it (instead of it turning into a gimmick they use occasionally, or only watch movies with it).

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Keep in mind the original MacBook Air came out at around $2,600 in today's dollars, and can now be had for $999.

Apple is not marking it up $2,000 over cost for shits and giggles - unlike most of the headsets out there, Apple being Apple, these have 4K displays and a custom processor, and a shitload of cameras and sensors, and they'll be low volume for the time being.

Actual professional VR headsets cost a lot as well.  I'm not talking about Occulus/Meta stuff, but stuff like this (https://varjo.com/products/vr-3/)

I won't be buying it at anything approaching that price, and I know it's not aimed at the gaming crowd, and probably not even the crowd Zuckerberg is targeting with the Metaverse stuff, but it's interesting if Apple has done what they are claiming with apps, etc., being actually useful and people not getting motion sickness, etc., and wanting to actually do more with it (instead of it turning into a gimmick they use occasionally, or only watch movies with it).

yup, i dont think they expect headsets to take off soon, but eventually.  by launching this project, what they've done is put massive work on the software and infrastructure side to lay the foundation for when it does. 

while apple hardware is nice and appealing, it's really their software that holds it all together.  and the software announcements yesterday were all genuinely neat and useful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Oh, I'm sure the tech will be awesome. I'd love it for ESPN and Disney+ content. Just feels like the barrier for entry is way too high. I don't like to doubt Apple and I'm definitely a fanboi. This just seems like a product that will take a lot of iterations before it becomes something the mass public is wanting to jump into. 

Little noted from yesterday: Apple's new Mac Pro uses Apple (aka ARM), not Intel silicon.  That's it for Intel at Apple.  End of an era.

The headset thing felt like the original Macintosh announcement.  Well beyond what is being done today, but expensive for now.  Cool for niche applications today, like visualizing a house on a lot prior to building it, but we'll see if a mass market app shows up.  They need to convince every dad of a kid who dreams of playing professional sports that THIS is the one thing that will get them into the major leagues.  If they can, sales will not be a problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

I see this product as a limited run, proof of concept. Similar to the Tesla Roadster. Apple is definitely not dumb enough to think that a limited-use, $3500 headset will sell many units. It’s about getting it into the hands of innovators and seeing what use cases developers can create with it in terms of apps.

The $3500 cost could be there on purpose to discourage casual purchases of it.

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

Oh, I'm sure the tech will be awesome. I'd love it for ESPN and Disney+ content. Just feels like the barrier for entry is way too high. I don't like to doubt Apple and I'm definitely a fanboi. This just seems like a product that will take a lot of iterations before it becomes something the mass public is wanting to jump into. 

34 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I see this product as a limited run, proof of concept. Similar to the Tesla Roadster. Apple is definitely not dumb enough to think that a limited-use, $3500 headset will sell many units. It’s about getting it into the hands of innovators and seeing what use cases developers can create with it in terms of apps.

The $3500 cost could be there on purpose to discourage casual purchases of it.

Yeah, it looks awesome, and I talked to somebody who tried it for a few minutes, and they said it's definitely not the $500 VR sets that the masses can buy.

I don't think the cost is there to discourage casual purchases - the specs are extremely high on this, basically a Mac on your head with two 4K displays.

This feels like it's for developers and influencer types. They've built a solid platform and want to see what the third parties will do it with it, while working to get the costs down (for the record I don't think it'll ever hit below $1,000, and maybe not $1,500).

5 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

The headset thing felt like the original Macintosh announcement.  Well beyond what is being done today, but expensive for now.  Cool for niche applications today, like visualizing a house on a lot prior to building it, but we'll see if a mass market app shows up.  They need to convince every dad of a kid who dreams of playing professional sports that THIS is the one thing that will get them into the major leagues.  If they can, sales will not be a problem.

This is probably the best comparison - the original Mac was insanely expensive - around $7,000 in today's dollars.

If they wanted it for the masses, they could have dropped the screens to 1080p and probably use an off-the-shelf chip instead of a custom one based on their own CPUs, and probably cut out some of the cameras/features (like a display on the front of it that lets people see your eyes when you are talking to them).

Hell, that little display on the front that lets people see your eyes is crazy and probably an easy $500 or more plus it also uses cameras in the set that are focused on displaying your eyes (not sure if they added special cameras just to show your eyes to the outside world).

A couple hardware generations sliming this thing down and some cost efficiency's in ramping up production and can see myself dropping some cash on a "Vision SE" in a few years. Tech seems very compelling compared to the limited time I have messed around with a friends oculus which seems like just a gadget in comparison now, not a fully fleshed out piece of tech. 

• Hook 'Em 1

At the price point, there is zero chance Visions will be bestsellers but they could hang around and continue to grow. To get any business following, Apple needs to get Microsoft and other mainstream corp software involved.

agree with the above statement that AirPod pros are incredible. Besides great audio for calls, it has impressive immersive sound for audio/video sources. I was listening to the Apple WWDC event from my phone other day and I was momentarily uncertain if the sound was blasting from my phone or via the AirPods. The sound just surrounded me. And it was slightly odd at first that the audio tracked to the phone location as I moved around my office.

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

The iPhone 15 and all the updates were so boring that it didn't even warrant discussion on here, I see.

I've upgraded every two years religiously. Last year I was like...I think I can squeeze another year out of this. Yesterday I was like... why would I even bother? My battery is a bit chippy and it keeps deleting my apps, but I think I'm just going to roll with my 12 pro.

Just now, skilesare said:

I've upgraded every two years religiously. Last year I was like...I think I can squeeze another year out of this. Yesterday I was like... why would I even bother? My battery is a bit chippy and it keeps deleting my apps, but I think I'm just going to roll with my 12 pro.

USB-C! USB-C! USB-C! (chanted to the tune of SEC).

On 9/13/2023 at 10:00 PM, skilesare said:

I ordered a new one, but i am the kind of person to get the latest gadget every year. 

It does look like demand is high. 

https://www.reuters.com/technology/apple-iphone-15-pro-pro-max-deliveries-delayed-china-bloomberg-news-2023-09-15/

On 9/15/2023 at 5:35 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

Same. Need to find a new leather case though. The Bullstrap ones look great but are pricey and won’t even ship until end of October.

Andar Aspen case here.  9 colors, nice leather, no large stamp or logo burned in.  Great smell.  Picked up my first one 2 years ago for my 13 Pro Max, and liked it so much I picked up a second color and one of their magsafe wallets.

Ordered my 15 Pro Max, and opened up a new tab and ordered 2 new cases at the same time.  They should arrive this week.

Highly recommended.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

On 9/15/2023 at 1:01 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I ordered the pro. I have a 13 now. Just feel like upgrading.

Any recs for some good usb-c earbuds? I have some nicer wireless ones but like to have wired back up.

If all you want is a wired backup, Apple released their earbuds with USB C this week.  I don't think they are worth $19, but it is an option for you, and everyone is familiar with the wired Apple buds.

Andar Aspen case here.  9 colors, nice leather, no large stamp or logo burned in.  Great smell.  Picked up my first one 2 years ago for my 13 Pro Max, and liked it so much I picked up a second color and one of their magsafe wallets.
Ordered my 15 Pro Max, and opened up a new tab and ordered 2 new cases at the same time.  They should arrive this week.
Highly recommended.

Well hey, lucky for me I already ordered one of these this past weekend. Looks like I made a good choice.

If all you want is a wired backup, Apple released their earbuds with USB C this week.  I don't think they are worth $19, but it is an option for you, and everyone is familiar with the wired Apple buds.

Apple earbuds are fucking awful. Won’t stay in place. I bought some shit called Palo Vue I think. Cheap but had good reviews.

Apple earbuds are fucking awful. Won’t stay in place. I bought some shit called Palo Vue I think. Cheap but had good reviews.

7 hours ago, Celery Man said:

looks like i'm getting the new iPhone tomorrow. I don't think I have another year left on my 11 so the extent of my decision making process was "wait until the new one comes out, order the one that is the same size".

just placed an order for the 15 pro. my 12 pro was getting long in the tooth. it works just fine but i use it for all of my pictures so it was time for an upgrade

7 hours ago, Celery Man said:

looks like i'm getting the new iPhone tomorrow. I don't think I have another year left on my 11 so the extent of my decision making process was "wait until the new one comes out, order the one that is the same size".

I need a 1TB option, but preferably cheaper.  Like an iPhone 15 non-pro, but with 1TB of storage.

Or I could go through 5 years of videos of my kids engaged in their various sporting endeavors.

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

At the risk of summoning immamac, why do you need to keep all that shit on your phone?

To be clear, I keep all of that shit. On Google photos/drive and backed up locally.

Laziness and I got spoiled with an iPad that has 1TB.. I do have everything on my phone photos- and video-wise backed up to iCloud, and also a backup cloud provider, and also I've got a decent NAS that it backs up to, and I do pull off the larger videos as I make them.

To be fair, probably 150-200GB is Minecraft, Mario Kart Tour, Pokemon Go, Peridot, Lego Builder, other games my kids have, plus two of my games, and multiple episodes of Bluey downloaded within the Disney app (for emergencies with my youngest).

With that said, my kids are in multiple sports/activities, and I shoot everything in 4K so I do need space.

I've digitized/archived/restored a shitload of 8mm, 16mm, VHS/VHS-C, and MiniDV back when storage was expensive and it was sometimes a pain in the ass, so it's very easy to get lazy these days.

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I need a 1TB option, but preferably cheaper.  Like an iPhone 15 non-pro, but with 1TB of storage.

Or I could go through 5 years of videos of my kids engaged in their various sporting endeavors.

Tbh the pro can just connect to an external USB drive to move pictures out, which is a nice step into the 21st century for apple finally lol

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

256 works for me.  Photography is a big hobby of mine, so I am a bit of a photo hoarder.  Currently have 23,546 photos on my phone.  I know, I know.

My mom and dad:  Have 15-20 pictures of themselves as little kids in the 1940s and 1950s.

My kids: Have 15-20,000 pictures of themselves as little kids in the 2010s/2020s.

dc84187d6de4fc89dcf3312c990e7726.png

• Like 1

I have an XR for work and it's fine. But I hardly ever even unlock that phone.

The speaker on my phone has been dogshit since my daughter was little and probably drooled into it, it has started being a little laggy and slow, it... completely froze up a month or so back when I was at the gym and I had to work out in silence, it wouldn't respond to anything and I had to just wait for the battery to die to even be able to restart it. I could probably wipe the phone and reinstall and see if that would bring it back to life, but that may also just be the old Windows native in me thinking. My wife never replaces her shit and then complains when Apple stops supporting it, which I suspect is what will eventually require me to replace the XR with whatever the new cheapest iPhone is for work.

Got the new phone. It's going to take me a second to adapt to slightly different button placement. Hey I can hear youtube videos again without my airpods in.

My wife's 256gb pro was delivered on Friday.  I backed up her old phone, transferred everything to the new phone, showed her that the mute switch had changed and oh yeah, it no longer has lightning for the interface, so keep that in mind when your older cord doesn't work and handed it over.

Mine is set to be delivered in mid-October.