New God of War (PS4)

rage-a-holic

• 3 weeks later...

On 4/21/2018 at 6:23 AM, Constant said:

That first boss fight was the best fight I've ever experienced in a video game. Damn. 

Yeah, that first fight was pretty crazy, moving between the “scripted”events and live action is so seamless that sometimes it takes me a second to realize I’m in control again. 

Lot of fun so far, love the axe mechanic, but I’m wondering how well the progression will work, in terms of breadth vs depth. Sometimes in games like this I worry I’ll end up missing some cool part of the skill tree, so I end up with early branches everywhere but don’t get to the deeper stuff.  Fear of commitment I guess.  

The sidekick has been ok so far, not a ton of help, but not really a hindrance either.  I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do once I get a little further in. He basically seems invincible, but during one fight he did get grabbed by an enemy and a warning indicator appeared over his head.  I killed the enemy so I’m not sure if letting that go on too long would be a game over or what.

Reviews are too good for this game to just suck.  I will probably download this weekend.  I too am curious about the skill progression and mods are.  I like mine simplified more so than constant tinkering.  One thing I didn't like about Zero Dawn was the constant tinkering with weapon mods based on the machine.  Do you get a lot of that in God of War?

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Reviews are too good for this game to just suck.  I will probably download this weekend.  I too am curious about the skill progression and mods are.  I like mine simplified more so than constant tinkering.  One thing I didn't like about Zero Dawn was the constant tinkering with weapon mods based on the machine.  Do you get a lot of that in God of War?

I have gotten a little further into it, seems like there will be plenty of XP to open all the branches of the skill tree if you aren't just speeding directly through the story (maybe even if you are, I have a ton of XP I'm just hoarding until more upgrades become available to me).

I haven't switched gear based on enemies yet, but I'm not playing on the hardest difficulty.  I suspect it would be helpful there, but I haven't needed it.  For example, I have some enchantments that give defensive bonuses specific to the enemies I'm fighting in this one area, but I never bothered to put them on my gear, and I cleared the area out already. 

The one thing I have switched on the fly is my artifact- just another piece of gear that gives you bonus skills/stats.  I have been wearing one that gives extra defense and a bonus to the parry skill, but if I get dangerously low on health, I jump into the menu and swap it for one that lets me restore my health on the fly.  But even that wouldn't be necessary if I was fighting more efficiently.  Sometimes I just get impatient with groups of lower level mobs and start button mashing, which gets me into trouble quickly.  With bigger boss-type fights, I focus in and it's fine, but the groups of enemies attacking at the same time will take you out quickly if you get sloppy.  

So I guess I'd say that at least on normal/hard difficulty, mod tinkering is not required, but will help out.  Also, it seems like the situational mods are useful for whole areas, so even if you switched them out, it wouldn't be every fight, more like when you change areas (I've spent a few hours in the first area, and a few hours in the second, to give you an idea).

I was a bit concerned with the crafting aspect at first. Ficking hate that shit but it hasnt been to obtrusive yet. God of war is about kicking total ass not diicking around  with gems and artifacts until you get the glow you want.

Only drawback is you need an 80 inch 4k tv to truly appreciate the art work.

Also I'm about 1/4 through I think and haven't heard the original score. It's subtlety in the background but yet to come out full force. I suspect I'll suffer priapism when it finally kicks in.

Edited by MissingInAction

1 hour ago, d.plainview872 said:

Is this game better than the first two games? Does the combat actually have any depth?  I remember the series being a cinema fest with only having to press two or three buttons to get through the game.

It is better than the first two games.

Granted I am only about 2 hours in, but it definitely feels like it has more depth. You still have the Light Attack, Heavy Attack, Block, Dodge/Roll gameplay where you chain different light and heavy attacks to do certain combos; however, you also have the ability to aim and throw your axe, have your boy shoot shit with arrows (even mid combo), and it seems like every type of ability can be upgraded. Not to mention you can place rubes in your axe to unlock additional special abilities.

You can still probably get through the game spamming one or two buttons, but the depth is there to utilize.

IMO it is definitely more advanced than God if War 1-3.

Edited by Slikwille

12 hours ago, Slikwille said:

It is better than the first two games.

Granted I am only about 2 hours in, but it definitely feels like it has more depth. You still have the Light Attack, Heavy Attack, Block, Dodge/Roll gameplay where you chain different light and heavy attacks to do certain combos; however, you also have the ability to aim and throw your axe, have your boy shoot shit with arrows (even mid combo), and it seems like every type of ability can be upgraded. Not to mention you can place rubes in your axe to unlock additional special abilities.

You can still probably get through the game spamming one or two buttons, but the depth is there to utilize.

IMO it is definitely more advanced than God if War 1-3.

There’s also a whole skill tree of unarmed combat with block/parry and shield attack/kick/punch skills, and a whole skill tree of the spartan rage mode.  There’s also at least one whole extra combat style that you acquire further into the game that I won’t spoil here.

Basically if you think there’s no depth to the combat, you’re spamming cheese moves and playing with the difficulty too low. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been doing a replay of 2018 GOW over the past 3 weeks or so, trying to finally kill all 9 valkyries.

I don't think on my initial playthrough years ago that I actually spent enough time properly gearing up to get my stat level high enough to stand a chance. 

Have taken down 3 so far at character level 5, but just equipped some new armor and enchantments to get me very close to level 7, which apparently SHOULD be good enough to get through all 9.

Sidenote: Playing through this time on PS5 and it's definitely higher performance and so much nicer to have nearly instant reloads after dying. 

Edited by Storm the Field

17 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I've had a PS5 for seven months and still yet to play a game on it. Guess that's about to change ...

Did you try Horizon Forbidden West? 

I am so excited for this game, goodbye weekend plans next week.  Between this and the new season of The Crown, I will not be leaving my house. 

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Did you try Horizon Forbidden West? 

I am so excited for this game, goodbye weekend plans next week.  Between this and the new season of The Crown, I will not be leaving my house. 

You probably already know this but preloads are now available for anyone who preorders. I don't expect I'll start playing the second the clock hits zero next Wednesday but glad that it is already on my system.

Just now, Serak The Preparer said:

You probably already know this but preloads are now available for anyone who preorders. I don't expect I'll start playing the second the clock hits zero next Wednesday but glad that it is already on my system.

I ordered the physical copy because that’s my preference 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Intended to play Ragnarok ASAP, but a bunch of shit got in the way between work and vacations. Think I'm finally gonna be able to grab a copy and dive in this weekend. 

In other news, looks like GOW will be the latest franchise to get a TV adaptation. Production is well underway on an Amazon series based on the 2018 game.

https://www.kitguru.net/tech-news/mustafa-mahmoud/god-of-war-tv-show-officially-greenlit-by-amazon/

• 3 weeks later...

Started Ragnarok the weekend before Xmas. Got probably 15 hours into it and was loving it. Went out of town for a good chunk of the next week and then had a super busy work week leading up to New Years. Tried picking it back up on Sunday and just didn't feel right. Forgot where I had left off in the story and  couldn't get back into it. 

Started a fresh game on Monday. Enjoying it all over again, but I'm much better at combat this time and not wasting experience and materials on gear and skills I end up not using. Progressing way quicker. Probably 4-5 more hours to go until I get back to where I quit last time and move forward.

19 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Do I need to know anything about this game series to enjoy this game?

As mentioned, play the PS4 game from 2018 first.

You need a PS3 to play the original games. They were fun way back when, but they use a lot of forced perspective, which fucking blows when you're used to an open world game.

Wife is all amped up about some game and so now we have a ps5, which came with Ragnorak. Never played the games, although I think we own it (2018)on PS4 and I’m just realizing that I can stream it to my MacBook in my office. So productivity just took a dip but maybe I’ll run through the 2018 one first.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Wife is all amped up about some game and so now we have a ps5, which came with Ragnorak. Never played the games, although I think we own it (2018)on PS4 and I’m just realizing that I can stream it to my MacBook in my office. So productivity just took a dip but maybe I’ll run through the 2018 one first.

Both are great but Ragnarok is a direct sequel of 2018 so better to play both. What game is she amped up about on PS5?

Playing the 2018 game now, this is pretty good. I had a roommate in college who played the… whatever PS2 version of the game was. Skyrim aside I’m not always into the fantasy stuff and I’m also less likely to pick up on game 3 or 4 in a series. Fighting is cool and I always like tomb raider style puzzles.

Way sillier and more BOTW style combat, but Fenyx Rising or whatever that game was called was great.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/19/2023 at 5:08 PM, Celery Man said:

She thinks Forspoken is exactly in her q zone.

and of course hogwarts, but we already have a x/s

Heard the Forspoken reviews weren’t great and the demo sucked 

Fenyx Rising was a great game, albeit it felt like a BOTW clone. Maybe that’s why