Adding to the pit bull argument

Beau Vine

3 hours ago, Deej said:

Any dog with a strong prey drive will kill a cat. 

Bon Bon is up to one cat, two rabbits, at least two skunks, and half a dozen doves (the doves try to drink out of her water bowl) that I know of. Why she won't kill the ground-dwelling rodent that is digging up my yard is beyond me.

edit: Bon Bon would like me to remind all you that she is NOT a pit bull and loves children.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

All fair points, then you lost me at, not a more aggressive breed than other dogs.  Their rate of attacks, and or bites would tend to counter that argument a bit.

A dachshund bit me in the face once when I was a kid. Result was a few painful scratches. I doubt that incident was included in anyone's estimated "rate of attacks, and or bites", which was my point. Any dog can bite you. With most breeds it a non-event. When a pit bull bites, people end up in the ER, or the morgue, and on the news.

Bernard 

Just now, Bernard said:

A dachshund bit me in the face once when I was a kid. Result was a few painful scratches. I doubt that incident was included in anyone's estimated "rate of attacks, and or bites", which was my point. Any dog can bite you. With most breeds it a non-event. When a pit bull bites, people end up in the ER, or the morgue, and on the news.

Bernard 

Yeah, I hear you, but there's enough reported evidence out there to refute your claim.  It's just not true. They can be a more aggressive breed, and are  more likely to bite, and kill than other breeds.  There's a reason insurance company does often won't cover them in home owners policies.

I knew a guy who's mom had a couple of pugs. She loved dogs and adopted a pit bull she felt sorry for. Got along fine with the pugs. Then one day she came home to find pug splattered all over her kitchen.

Also knew a chick that raised one from a pup. It was a mean SOB for no fucking reason. No chance of getting along with other dogs. She ended up having to get rid of it, and i really hope that fucking thing ended up euthanized.

Fuck that pile of shit breed.

3 hours ago, Bernard said:

Bernard 

Face transplant thread is over there >>>>>

CSB: My ex-brother in law used to breed pits for hog hunting, sold a lot of them, too. His favorite male used to go over to his neighbor's property and fuck with the cows. He'd latch onto their snouts/necks and the cows would try like hell to fling him off, neighbor hated him (rightly so). He lost almost all of his teeth doing this and catching hogs, they just loosened over time and fell out. They had to soak his food in water so he could eat. 

Your ex-bil and his dog deserved to be shot.
  • Like 2

On 10/4/2018 at 10:34 AM, Sandman said:

CSB: My ex-brother in law used to breed pits for hog hunting, sold a lot of them, too. His favorite male used to go over to his neighbor's property and fuck with the cows. He'd latch onto their snouts/necks and the cows would try like hell to fling him off, neighbor hated him (rightly so). He lost almost all of his teeth doing this and catching hogs, they just loosened over time and fell out. They had to soak his food in water so he could eat. 

Neighbor should have shot your ex-BIL.  And then the dog.

• Like 2

My old roomates chick had a pitbull that she adopted as a small pup and lived with us in a caring environment. Roomate himself had two chihuahuas, Cody and Mick that were relatively mild mannered and all three dogs interacted regularly when we were around and got kept in crates when nobody was home. Holly, the pit, was a pretty nice dog but skittish. Her owner was convinced though that she was harmless and that the dangerous pitbulls all had bad owners.

Well one night Im closing up the bar I worked at and get a call. My roomates chick is frantic and saying that somebody broke in the back yard and killed Cody. She had gotten home from work and let the dogs in the back while she took a shower and came out and saw blood everywhere. I get home to a grisly scene, I didnt know a 15 pound dog had that much blood. I guess the "murderer" also smeared some blood around Hollys mouth too.

That pit tore that chihuahua to shreds. Same chick still posts pro-pit dog of peace propoganda on facebook all the time. I always comment rip Cody

Edited by cmontexas
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 3/23/2019 at 10:23 PM, SameSame said:

Am I the only one who thought that was probably a horribly written headline?  It’s only poorly written.

That clinic is close to my wife’s childhood home. Not sure what difference that makes, but I’m sure it’ll hit her close to home. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

On 10/5/2018 at 8:38 PM, GotThatFire said:

There is a lot to love about pit bulls, but I understand the vitriol towards them. 

My recommendation would be to switch to American bulldogs 

This.  I've been around 3 pit bulls in my life (owned by different friends) and all of them were extremely sweet, well mannered dogs.  2 of them had other dogs and they never had any incidents.

But they're obviously capable of really horrific outcomes.  I don't really begrudge anyone's thoughts on the matter, and probably wouldn't take the risk myself.

• 3 years later...

Thread revive!

We have a golf cart and drive around our neighborhood doing neighborly things.

And sometimes my kids take it out.

One side of my neighborhood has multiple homes where persons own pit bull like dogs.  It’s not like I see one every day but last Sunday saw two, off leash.  Young puppies but they won’t be for long.

So, how do I protect my kids if they’re out in the golf cart and some pit bull decides it wants some action.  15yo and 9yo.

I’m thinking a legit can of bear spray.  Anyone got any better ideas?

1 minute ago, Deej said:

When it comes to choosing between people driving golf carts around their neighborhood or pit bulls, I'm team pit bull.

That is your right, but be advised - team golf cart is preparing for war mf’er.  We’re even arming the children.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Deej said:

Kids driving golf carts on the street is a bad idea, pit bulls or not. 

Some soccer mom in her SUV and on her phone is a bigger threat than a dog.

You’re right.  I should have thought of that.  I’m going to sell the golf cart this very day.  

Thank you.

Next question - if my kids are out riding their bikes in the neighborhood, or maybe a scooter or a skateboard, or maybe just out for a walk, and they encounter something dangerous.  Not as dangerous as a golf cart mind you, but mildly dangerous, like say… a pit bull.   If that were to happen, what are good tools my kids can use to defend against that pit bull?

• Haha 4

On 10/4/2018 at 6:26 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

The fact that people have to offer qualifiers for pit bulls and their owners says a lot. There is no need for apologists for labs or retrievers because bad labs or retrievers are rare.

The ole "that's what you get for letting your cat outside" defense.  Works every time.

I've been bitten by more retrievers than pits. Actually, I've never been bitten by a pit, and I've pulled over and put more than my share of loose pits into my car to take to the pound, plenty of which were scarred up from fighting. Of course what people count as pit bulls is about the same as the media thinking every gun is an assault rifle. 

If it's bigger than 40 or 50 lbs, it ain't a pit bull.

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Deej said:

I've been bitten by more retrievers than pits. Actually, I've never been bitten by a pit, and I've pulled over and put more than my share of loose pits into my car to take to the pound, plenty of which were scarred up from fighting. 

Ms. Durand can’t hear you.  A pit mix ate her ears and face off.

2 hours ago, CoTex said:

Thread revive!

One side of my neighborhood has multiple homes where persons own pit bull like dogs.  It’s not like I see one every day but last Sunday saw two, off leash.  Young puppies but they won’t be for long.

So, how do I protect my kids if they’re out in the golf cart and some pit bull decides it wants some action.  15yo and 9yo.

Not trying to be a dick, but I’ve never seen a golf cart hood that also has pit bulls.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Not trying to be a dick, but I’ve never seen a golf cart hood that also has pit bulls.  

We’ve got it all.  Fire station, former Cowboys cheerleader, taco joint, Delta 8 smoke shop, dry cleaner, law firms, golf carts (for sale now - way too dangerous) and pit bulls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Deej said:

I've been bitten by more retrievers than pits. Actually, I've never been bitten by a pit, and I've pulled over and put more than my share of loose pits into my car to take to the pound, plenty of which were scarred up from fighting. Of course what people count as pit bulls is about the same as the media thinking every gun is an assault rifle. 

If it's bigger than 40 or 50 lbs, it ain't a pit bull.

When the lady with the two dogs was trying to collect them my wife said “those are cute - are they boxers?”  The lady responded with a one word answer - “pit.”

Now, maybe that lady was lying.  Or maybe, like you suggest, she’s a big pussy and thinks anything’s a pit.

My concern was a little different.  When those dogs, or any dogs, decide to attack - and there is more than anecdotal evidence out there that dogs will attack - is there something a responsible parent can arm a 9 and 15 year old with that will give them a chance to fight off an attacking dog?  So far the leader in the clubhouse is my suggestion of bear spray and a distant second is “pedal faster - retrievers bite too.”

I’ve got no problem with gun rights or AR ownership.  But I’m not giving that to my 9 year old for neighborhood activity.

Thread revive!

Bear spray is poetically your best option. If it will stop a grizzly, it will stop a pit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I’ve got no problem with gun rights or AR ownership.  But I’m not giving that to my 9 year old for neighborhood activity.

They are probably safer with the gun than the golf cart.  Kids drive around on them in my hood all the time.  It's ridiculous. They should not be driving and I will not allow my son to ride with any kid driving a golf cart. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, CoTex said:

Thread revive!

a-christmas-story-movie-ss02.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 5

17 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Witnessed this at eeyores Saturday. I'd overhear people calling every medium sized dog a pit bull.

I have a Basset hound/heeler mix that someone tried to tell me was a pit bull. 

WTF?