Adding to the pit bull argument

Beau Vine

On 5/19/2023 at 11:04 PM, closetohumping said:

Can’t make this up. Rescue pitt showed aggression towards three year old.  

CAE2D03B-04CF-46F3-8195-497E5A2EB14C.thumb.png.d9a2856d0840c49e90b0cd668514a40e.png

I wouldn't say he struggled with it, Rachel. I doubt he had long  moments of introspection during which he tried to reconcile his behavior. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Deej said:

I wouldn't say he struggled with it, Rachel. I doubt he had long  moments of introspection during which he tried to reconcile his behavior. 

What a salesmanship effort by the kennel. Hey, we’re NOT gonna put a 40 pound pit that’s been shot down, because some idiot will want to adopt it. 

On 5/19/2023 at 11:04 PM, closetohumping said:

Can’t make this up. Rescue pitt showed aggression towards three year old.  

CAE2D03B-04CF-46F3-8195-497E5A2EB14C.thumb.png.d9a2856d0840c49e90b0cd668514a40e.png

It cuts off right before the good part.  What happened after a year or working with it?  

Spoiler

It killed the 3-year old?

• Like 1

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/austin-texas-girl-attacked-pit-bull-owner-eviction

On May 20, four-year-old Sahirah was attacked by a pit bull mix at the Meadowbrook Apartments in South Austin. She now has to wear a bandage over her face as her wounds heal.

"The bite went through her cheek, so there are stitches inside of her mouth as well," said Lafleur-Davis.

Lafleur-Davis says Sahirah was playing outside under the watch of her mother when a woman walked by with a dog on a leash.

Sahirah’s mother says her daughter loves dogs, so she asked if the dog was friendly and if Sahirah could pet it. The woman walking the dog said yes, and then the four-year-old continued to play. When Sahirah went back to the dog a second time, the dog attacked her, and the owner released the leash.

My barber of 20 years doesn't understand why some of his older customers don't want to bring their kids to his shop/house anymore. He has an admittedly beautiful yellow pit. Hell, I  held her in my hands and played with her as a baby when he got her, but she's grown now. And he lets her run loose in the house when he has customers over. I tried to explain why but he won't acknowledge the potential issue.  And as someone who had to put his babies down when they attacked a hog, I get it. But one time is going to be one too many.  

So I gotta find a new barber for the kids. And eventually me too. All because of shitty pit bulls.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

• 3 months later...
three fingers off one hand and two off the other, with little puppy teeth... that didn't happen in 30 seconds. that baby had to be screaming for a while! wtf was mom doing?? she wasn't just 'in the bathroom'! jfc
Didn't see it in the story, but when I heard it on the radio it was mentioned she was in the shower.

41 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Just saw a story here in my small town in Texas where a Pit bit an infant in the face. Still in critical condition. Apparently it was their family pet.

These stories are half heart-breaking and half-rage inducing. I can't even imagine what sort of hell-on-earth rampage I'd go on if my child was permanently disfigured and disformed because of someone's pit bull. I think I'd probably compound the pain and hurt and end up in legal trouble, to be honest. Just reading these things gets my blood pressure up.

And IRL i avoided all manner of dogs when my kids were infants and toddlers because you just never know strangers and strange dogs. Even extended family members pets got the stiff arm.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BeardIP said:

These stories are half heart-breaking and half-rage inducing. I can't even imagine what sort of hell-on-earth rampage I'd go on if my child was permanently disfigured and disformed because of someone's pit bull. I think I'd probably compound the pain and hurt and end up in legal trouble, to be honest. Just reading these things gets my blood pressure up.

And IRL i avoided all manner of dogs when my kids were infants and toddlers because you just never know strangers and strange dogs. Even extended family members pets got the stiff arm.

Babies and toddlers need to keep Ela way from dogs, especially young ones. Anyone who’s had a pup knows that they like to nip fingers, and the more you try to flap your hands away, the more fun it is for them and they double down. Only way to curb the tendency is to get up and walk away and stop the game, which little kids can’t do. And do it every time till they learn that nipping means the end of attention and fun.

That baby laying in the crib making noise and trying to flap its hands away was just addictive to the dog, and especially when the blood started to flow a bit. 

• Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, BeardIP said:

In most all these cases, it’s their family pet. I won’t be around pits, and I’m 6’3” 215. My kids sure aren’t. So while heartbreaking, these kids were going to be raised to perpetuate the cycle of pit ownership. I don’t have a lot of sympathy. Stupid parents have stupid kids. 

9 hours ago, BeardIP said:

That is easy the blame is obvious.  The hard part is the dissonance where the parent is responsible for their kid getting maimed cause they let it play with an animal they have no defense against (their own pet).  

Might as well just get some rattlesnakes for pets.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nivek said:

That is easy the blame is obvious.  The hard part is the dissonance where the parent is responsible for their kid getting maimed cause they let it play with an animal they have no defense against (their own pet).  

Might as well just get some rattlesnakes for pets.   

Oh, I agree with you 100%. 

22 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Babies and toddlers need to keep Ela way from dogs, especially young ones. Anyone who’s had a pup knows that they like to nip fingers, and the more you try to flap your hands away, the more fun it is for them and they double down. Only way to curb the tendency is to get up and walk away and stop the game, which little kids can’t do. And do it every time till they learn that nipping means the end of attention and fun.

That baby laying in the crib making noise and trying to flap its hands away was just addictive to the dog, and especially when the blood started to flow a bit. 

WTF?

I'm neutral on the pit argument. I've had dogs my entire life and their environment always shapes them for good or bad.

That being said, Luna is my first GSD, and there are aspects of her personality I did not train into her. They are natural guard dogs, and I truly hope no one is ever stupid/crazy enough to try and hurt me in her presence.

A dog tried to hump her once. She gave it a couple warnings,  but he wouldn't give up. Her response was quick and terrifying. No blood was drawn.  She flipped him, put her jaws around his throat, only to let him go once he pissed himself and stopped moving. Then she sniffed every inch of his body like a bear, took a piss by his head, and kicked dirt all over him.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

I'm neutral on the pit argument. I've had dogs my entire life and their environment always shapes them for good or bad.

That being said, Luna is my first GSD, and there are aspects of her personality I did not train into her. They are natural guard dogs, and I truly hope no one is ever stupid/crazy enough to try and hurt me in her presence.

A dog tried to hump her once. She gave it a couple warnings,  but he wouldn't give up. Her response was quick and terrifying. No blood was drawn.  She flipped him, put her jaws around his throat, only to let him go once he pissed himself and stopped moving. Then she sniffed every inch of his body like a bear, took a piss by his head, and kicked dirt all over him.

I wouldn't own a pit.  Don't trust them.  That doesn't mean I'd let my kids play unattended in a room full of mastiffs.  Does every pit turn?  No.  But I think they're more likely than other breeds and when they do turn, they are way more destructive.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I wouldn't own a pit.  Don't trust them.  That doesn't mean I'd let my kids play unattended in a room full of mastiffs.  Does every pit turn?  No.  But I think they're more likely than other breeds and when they do turn, they are way more destructive.  

I gave Luna a raw beef rib which she bit through like it was hot butter. That and when she stands like a bear her head comes up to my throat. There's a reason cops and nazis use them.

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Not sure why WTF.  Puppies haven’t learned to control their nipping and mouths and a young child trying to get its hands away from a puppy’s mouth is stimulating its play and prey drive. They’re animals and have some genetic programming built in. 

Basically surprised over the last paragraph.  I had never thought about or experienced that.

6 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I gave Luna a raw beef rib which she bit through like it was hot butter. That and when she stands like a bear her head comes up to my throat. There's a reason cops and nazis use them.

This is the first time in my life I do not have a GSD. Had one mean one in El Salvador and another at my farm. They were trained to be guards. They never fucked with kids, but dammit, you were dumb if you touched one of my kids or came into the property. Over the years I have had about 10 GSD's. My favorite breed. 

Meanest dog in my pack is a mini schnauzer. Would not let any kid within 5 feet of him. 

And will not have a Pit. 

2 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

A lot of accidents could be avoided if people weren't such fucking morons. The first thing people do is put their face into Luna's. I always tell them they can pet her but stay out of her face.

Was working in the garden at the farm. Neighbor came over and Max was out. Told her wait, let me come to the gate, Dumbass came in. He barked twice, and then gave her a get out of my yard snip. 

He did his job, she broke the law. 

9 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Goldens are probably second. No incidents. 

Only dog ever to bite me was a golden. Reached past it with my arm and it clamped down hard out of nowhere. Grabbed two loose pits who were eviscerating a neighbor's cat and didn't get bit when I probably should have been. 

Moral of the story is you never know when it's going to happen. Don't take for granted that it won't. 

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Only dog ever to bite me was a golden. Reached past it with my arm and it clamped down hard out of nowhere. Grabbed two loose pits who were eviscerating a neighbor's cat and didn't get bit when I probably should have been. 

Moral of the story is you never know when it's going to happen. Don't take for granted that it won't. 

I call bullshit. If so that Golden was abused. I’ve had them all my life and they would lick an intruder to death. 

15 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I call bullshit. If so that Golden was abused. I’ve had them all my life and they would lick an intruder to death. 

Not bullshit, but thanks for playing. 

I look after lots and lots of dogs. Almost every single Golden has been neurotic. Lots of inbreeding, I'd guess. 

13 minutes ago, Deej said:

Laugh all you want. Hundreds of dogs. Only bitten by a Golden. 

I got bit by a black lab.  Still have a scar on my palm.  Was trying to break up a spat between my dalmation and my sister’s lab over a chew toy.  Bad idea.  It didn’t latch on and try to kill me though.  Looked kinda guilty afterwards.   His name was Levar.