The Battle of Mogadishu

Blanton

Not to distract from Mogadishu, but if that sort of thing fascinates you as it does me then this is a pretty intense re-telling of the events surrounding a Medal of Honor winner. Not aware of anywhere else that you can hear such a thorough first person description of these kind of events. Long, but very gripping and emotional. Heavy. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/115-into-the-fire-and-beyond-the-call-of/id1070322219?i=1000404138217
Dakota Meyer on Jocko podcast. 

There’s a documentary series on Netflix called Medal of Honor. Has several living recipients on it.

Clint Romesha and Ty Carter talk about Kamdesh.
  • Hook 'Em 3

One of my best friends from HS was there w/ 10th Mountain for both Bloody Monday and Black Hawk Down.  I've never talked to him about it, but my mom sent me a newspaper article from our local paper that was much more...graphic isn't the right word...raw maybe? than I expected.  I remember crying for him that day and I'm choked up right now remembering it.  He was barely 3 years out of HS and it really fucked him up.  Godspeed to all those warriors.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20161128_144302.jpg

In 1993, Super 68 participated in Operation Gothic Serpent and was one of three Blackhawk helicopters to be shot down during the incident known as The Battle of Mogadishu. Initially, the story was recounted in the Philadelphia Inquirer as a news story by reporter Mark Bowden entitled “Blackhawk Down” which later became a book , followed by a movie with the same title.

Read More

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I was fresh out of boot camp and about mid-way through School of Infantry at Camp Pendleton when the news showed those guys’ bodies getting dragged through the streets.  I don’t remember everything we did that day but I remember the instructors were pissed and took their anger out on us in the form of PT.  The photos were pulled out more than once in the training cycle when guys weren’t hacking it as a way to say that someone is going to depend on your actions one day to keep this from happening to them. 

Great book. The same guy, Bowden, also wrote Killing Pablo about our DEA guys involvement in the hunt for Pablo Escobar. Also a great book. 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 10/4/2022 at 3:21 PM, InkaUtexas said:

Your best post..... I don't think most realize how much thought and preparation goes into missions. Training is constant. I remember my dad being away for months on a "training" exercise. There was no down time for special operators. Conversations around the picnic table at Bragg were how did we fuck up and how do we fix it. That is what makes the difference. NCO's could tell Beckworth he was wrong. And he would listen. 

These men were damn good. They were very well trained and lived their lives doing what they loved. The Stockade was not a place for the weak or faint of heart. 

Yeah, our dads have to know each other.  I was a freshman in high school when the Mogadishu operation went down, and my father was gone for quite awhile.  I got to meet Randy Shugart at my father's 50th birthday.  Heroes, the absolute lot of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

Yeah, our dads have to know each other.  I was a freshman in high school when the Mogadishu operation went down, and my father was gone for quite awhile.  I got to meet Randy Shugart at my father's 50th birthday.  Heroes, the absolute lot of them.

Bragg or Campbell? 

• 11 months later...

Bump.

This guy predicted it:

But not everyone was shocked. Maj. Gen. David Meade of the Army, whose command included the largest American component of the peacekeeping force in Mogadishu, had foreseen events clearly. Weeks before the battle, in a classified memo to the Army chief of staff, he warned that Somalia was about to erupt. “You’re likely to have a big fight over some period of time with considerable casualties,” he wrote. “And, in the end, you’re going to turn over the city to the Somalis.” General Meade urged immediate steps, which might have forestalled the incident we now call Black Hawk Down.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/02/opinion/bowden-mogadishu-black-hawk-down.html

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 2