The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

So, the IG droid is in the image after the episode ends with the Mandalorian and another chick. So it must come back. 

Also, there was a Trandoshan I think in the background when homeboy told our Mando about the other job that was off the books. Lizard face gave them a look and then went back to his business. That is gonna come back at some point.

It's been bugging me all day who the mandalorian reminds me of, and I finally figured it out on the third watch. They definitely channelled Seth Bullock from deadwood for his character. In fact, you could have told me it was Timothy Olyphant playing him and I wouldn't have questioned it.

• Like 1

The IG wasn't 88. There are multiples assassin droids that are the IG model as this was not the same as the one in Empire who was IG88. So that's either not Yoda or it's a baby clone of Yoda which is I think the spoiler for how the Emperor is around in 9. Something I read was Lucas never established Yoda's species. So this would be a first if it's a true Yoda species baby. Disney's about to make a fortune selling baby Yoda plush dolls. Oh and the part about the Mandalorian ancestors riding a creature was a direct callback to this from the Holiday Special, plus Life Day was thrown out.

4111675665_771f816efa.jpg 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Can we please get a thread with spoilers? That ending needs to be discussed. 

Do we have to spoiler the part about him and his mate having twin daughters, and him taking one and his mate taking the other, and raising them separately, and then the daughters find out about each other and switch places?

that was so fucking Disney.  

IMO, spoilers should be fair game with it being released weekly.  Don't want spoilers for the latest episode? Don't read the thread past the date it came out.  And there isn't much that I would even classify as spoilers in episode 1.

Episode 2 drops Friday I believe.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Like 1

So Boba Fett isn’t technically a Mandalorian because he’s a clone of Jango Fett. One of the most beloved Star Wars characters isn’t technically a member of a super bad ass warrior culture because they had to give him a back story. Thanks again George Lucas. 

Well Jango wasn’t a Mandalorian either according to the Star Wars wiki page, so it follows that Boba wouldn’t be. Maybe he gets to join up during or as a result of this show. Or maybe The Mandalorian has to hunt him down, that would be cool.

The IG wasn't 88. There are multiples assassin droids that are the IG model as this was not the same as the one in Empire who was IG88. So that's either not Yoda or it's a baby clone of Yoda which is I think the spoiler for how the Emperor is around in 9. Something I read was Lucas never established Yoda's species. So this would be a first if it's a true Yoda species baby. Disney's about to make a fortune selling baby Yoda plush dolls. Oh and the part about the Mandalorian ancestors riding a creature was a direct callback to this from the Holiday Special, plus Life Day was thrown out.

It’s not Yoda, at least not the Yoda we know. This series takes place after Return of the Jedi so Yoda is dead.

Clones seem to make the most sense. It stands to reason that people/organizations wouldn’t stop using clone technology just because the Clone Wars ended.

We don't really know anything about Yoda's species, so they have a lot of places they can go with it.  I think we can say it's not Yoda himself since he appears as a force ghost in TLJ.  My guess is whatever species he is, they are a very rare and very force sensitive species that could be very powerful if manipulated to one side or the other.  

8 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Episode 1 was pretty fucking awesome.  Like top 3 or 4 of all live action Star Wars productions.  It is like Rogue One quality as a TV show.  Hopefully the rest of the series can live up to it. 

I have a friend in the special effects industry, and he pointed out a few shots that could have been left out (the monster worm attacking the ship at the beginning, etc.) that could have easily run the budget up several hundreds of thousands, into the half-million dollar range, maybe more, and he was intrigued about whether they were just showing off, or just throwing things in for the fans (callback to the Falcon almost being eaten, etc.).

The quality is amazing, we are going to have to pick up a 4K TV at some point.

Guys it’s not Yoda and imo it’s not even a clone version because that would mean Yoda would have given up his DNA or something like that. I think palps found another Yoda and now that the empire is gone, (given the moment palps is presumed dead) people in the know want the force sensitive 50 year old man baby to be theirs. 

10 hours ago, mdmost said:
  Hide contents

I am by no means a SW junkie, albeit I googled mythosaur after the episode and there’s a whole wookiepedia page on them. A little more bad ass than that creature. 

Didn’t pick up on the Life Day significance until you pointed it out. That’s funny. 

8 hours ago, blacklab said:

probably do something like spoilers for 1-2 days after release. 

let me know what you guys think we should do.

I"m almost in the camp of no spoilers, don't open thread till you're caught up with current episode

I’m in the not using spoilers camp once the episodes airs/streams. If you don’t want to be spoilered, don’t read until you watch. 

Edited by hornian
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, hornfan785 said:

Dave Filoni is the man and he needs to be in charge of all things Star Wars.

This.  He would not have let the cluster fuck of the sequel trilogy play out like it did.  He needs to replace Kathleen Kennedy right fucking now.  She must have some amazing blackmail pics to have kept her job this long.

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Well Jango wasn’t a Mandalorian either according to the Star Wars wiki page, so it follows that Boba wouldn’t be. Maybe he gets to join up during or as a result of this show. Or maybe The Mandalorian has to hunt him down, that would be cool.

If The Mandalorian hunted down and killed Boba Fett, that would be so fucking awesome, and so many fanboys would be so conflicted, because Boba was the end-all of bounty hunters for so many of them.

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And Nick Nolte has had some work done - he's looking a little younger these days.

spacer.png

LOL yeah. The wife and I (no pics) were laughing about how the alien Nick Nolte looks better than actual Nick Nolte.

And agree about all of the initial impressions. Fucking fantastic and perfect.  Dave Filoni is truely "gets" what Star Wars should be, from Clone Wars to Rebels to the Mandalorian.

Put that man in charge of the next Star Wars film trilogy, stat.

53 minutes ago, hornian said:

I’m in the not using spoilers camp once the episodes airs/streams. If you don’t want to be spoilered, don’t read until you watch. 

This is the correct rule. Once it airs, it can be discussed. Just like the GOT threads. Even previews (not that they will have previews for Mando), but it's the only fair way for both parties. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't click on the thread until you've watched the show

Just now, Neonmoon said:

This is the correct rule. Once it airs, it can be discussed. Just like the GOT threads. Even previews (not that they will have previews for Mando), but it's the only fair way for both parties. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't click on the thread until you've watched the show

Yep, this is not new.  It is not like they are all released at once.

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Agreed with this.

We've typically used spoiler tags in the series that get released all at once (Stranger Things, Narcos, etc.), because not everyone can be expected to binge through 8-10 episodes in one sitting... but if they are releasing one at a time, it shouldn't be any different than any other series... just wait until you watch the episode to view the thread.

So...thoughts on

Spoiler

Who was spending so much money on that compound, both keeping it hidden, and keeping it stocked with mercenaries to protect baby Yoda for over 50 years?  The fact that so many people had been killed trying to get to the baby Yoda means there is a really big story going on.  And who is protecting it over all these years - are they protecting the baby, or what it represents?  It feels like somebody that Lor San Takka would protect.

Who wants it dead, who wants it alive?

What was the role of the young scientist, and why did he want the baby Yoda?  Was he trying to resurrect the emperor or something using baby's blood?  Or was this protecting a weak emperor from a potential rival?

Herzog's character is old enough to have been through the Clone Wars, he probably remembers Yoda.

I'm guessing this all ties into The Rise of Skywalker or whatever.

Speaking of the scientist

Spoiler

Not spoiling this because of discussion above, but also, this is the background scene mentioning Boba earlier.

spacer.png

I did not think Jango or Boba were actual Mandalorians, and just had the armor, but looking at SW fancies is far too headache-inducing.

It does have the blaster dent that Boba's had, but this could be just Filoni fucking with us.

Another angle, spoiler for big.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Edited by atomheartbevo